PDA

View Full Version : Help with Ad Blocking on Android Phone

flyrodr
03-08-2018, 05:34 PM
Question from a not-terribly-savvy smartphone/laptop user.

My Mac laptop, with free AdBlock Ultimate, pretty effectively blocks pop-up ads. My Android phone, however, is afflicted with the same pop-up issue, and I'm looking for a similar solution.

It appears that the Google Play Store "features" browser/blocker combos, but those, at least the couple I tried, require you to access every web site through that browser to stop the pop-ups.

I'd like to use an ad blocker app on my phone that works in the background, like the one on my Mac, and that lets everything else work as is.

Anybody know of such an app? (Assuming I'm asking the question correctly . . .)

Many thanks.

critter
03-08-2018, 05:58 PM
If I am understanding correctly (perhaps I'm not) the only way I know to block all ads at all times is by rooting the phone and installing a global ad blocker at the root/super user level. This can kill ads in everything everywhere - apps, games, browsers, videos...

Pros: you're in compete control over your phone. You can even uninstall *any* bloatware/apps you don't use. You can install various 3rd party roms with a variety of features, etc. You can access, edit, change any directory and system setup files.

Cons: You can brick your phone. Voids phone warranty. Some specialty apps won't run on a rooted phone.

Search your phone model: "How to root X"

Peally
03-08-2018, 06:43 PM
What you're asking is not a quick and foolproof thing to do on a phone.

You can root your phone and whack at it from that angle but if you don't own it personally I wouldn't.

flyrodr
03-08-2018, 07:17 PM
Thanks to you both. Explains why I wasn't finding a quick and easy solution.