PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint ACO Vs Pro

BehindBlueI's
03-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Assuming you don't need night vision capability and are ok with swapping batteries once a year, any reason to not buy the ACO vs PRO for duty use?

psalms144.1
03-05-2018, 10:43 AM
They use the same battery, and my habit has always been to change all optics batteries every January (along with common wear and tear springs), so I don't see a 12-month service life as a significant downside to the ACO's battery. I'm not sure what the price difference is, but looks like the ACO's mount is fairly plain jane, and you'll have to buy your own covers (gasp).

BehindBlueI's
03-05-2018, 10:45 AM
$50 spread on gov-x.

BillSWPA
03-05-2018, 10:47 AM
I was able to pick up my ACO for about $100 less than the cost of a PRO since it was on sale. I am completely happy with the ACO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayne Dobbs
03-05-2018, 12:00 PM
As has been noted, the difference between the two is lens coating that makes the PRO NV usable, battery life and mount types. The one year battery life is quoted only because of no testing on the ACO's battery life (it's likely the same as the PRO's). For the price difference, I still would prefer the PRO since we do know the battery life, submergibility rating (150') and that it's NV compatible. Night vision is coming to a place near you and very soon so I think it's smart to get a sight that will use it. PM me if you need an individual officer pricing contact or if you have further questions.

Peally
03-05-2018, 12:17 PM
PROs can be found on sale at about the price of the ACO, I paid under 400 for mine.

TIL the ACO is a thing and my PRO is NV compatible.

WobblyPossum
03-05-2018, 12:27 PM
LA Police Gear is currently running a 20% off code that expires later today (STOCK20) so you'd be able to buy a PRO for $350. An ACO would cost $318 with that code. For $30 extra dollars, I'd get the PRO every time. I have one on my patrol rifle and like it a lot. The only thing I'd change about it is the mount and I'll probably pick up the Scalarworks LEAP mount later this year.

BillSWPA
03-05-2018, 02:29 PM
Question about the mount for the PRO: does it allow a mounting height as low as possible, or is it simply a choice between absolute co-witness and lower 1/3 co-witness?

ACO is limited to absolute co-witness without an aftermarket mount.

Wayne Dobbs
03-05-2018, 02:30 PM
Another thing I forgot to mention is that the ACO doesn't come with lens caps and the PRO does. To get those caps is $35-40 retail, so you're clearly at the price of a PRO for an ACO and lens caps.

Wayne Dobbs
03-05-2018, 02:37 PM
Question about the mount for the PRO: does it allow a mounting height as low as possible, or is it simply a choice between absolute co-witness and lower 1/3 co-witness?

ACO is limited to absolute co-witness without an aftermarket mount.

As the PRO comes, the mounting solution provides a co-witness that splits the difference between absolute and lower 1/3 on an AR. You can remove the spacer and re-attach the base for lower mounting needs such as on a shotgun, SMG or lever action rifle.

Peally
03-05-2018, 02:48 PM
Also if this is for personal use make sure to buy the killflash merely because it's James Bond cool lookin'.

BillSWPA
03-05-2018, 02:55 PM
As the PRO comes, the mounting solution provides a co-witness that splits the difference between absolute and lower 1/3 on an AR. You can remove the spacer and re-attach the base for lower mounting needs such as on a shotgun, SMG or lever action rifle.

Thanks for the reply. That is probably the most important distinction between the PRO and ACO. I did end up buying a lower mount for the ACO for my application, which effectively negated my $100 savings, although the mount I bought has a quick detach feature. Lens caps would not work well in my application (gooseneck mount on a fixed carry handle) due to lack of space, and night vision is not something I will invest in anytime soon. That mount alone would be good reason to spend the extra $ on a PRO.

Dave Williams
03-16-2018, 04:05 PM
I just got a PRO for around $410. I flirted with the idea of getting an EXPS3, so glad I didn't! The PRO is just a great optic for the money.

Moshjath
03-16-2018, 04:26 PM
As has been noted, the difference between the two is lens coating that makes the PRO NV usable, battery life and mount types. The one year battery life is quoted only because of no testing on the ACO's battery life (it's likely the same as the PRO's). For the price difference, I still would prefer the PRO since we do know the battery life, submergibility rating (150') and that it's NV compatible. Night vision is coming to a place near you and very soon so I think it's smart to get a sight that will use it. PM me if you need an individual officer pricing contact or if you have further questions.

I'm curious to see what developments in night vision are headed down the pipeline towards end users. Hopefully something that doesn't give me a headache after a while like the PVS-14's I'm used to.

CS Tactical
03-16-2018, 04:29 PM
We have a bunch of Micros in stock or on the way as well as some more Pros on the way, please call 916-670-1103 for Pistol-Forum pricing. We also do our best to match or beat competitors :cool: