PDA

View Full Version : SCAR 17.......do I need a battle rifle?

navyman8903
03-03-2018, 07:17 PM
So I'm sure as some of you saw with my Beretta 92G thread asking if I needed one, I'm trying to chop down my gun list. What I did was, I got a 48 gun massive 7ft tall safe, and made a gun list of every rifle, pistol, and shotgun I would ever think I needed to fill it up. Well I'm married now, and my wife brought about 11 guns to the table. She also wants some too. After I finish my MR556 project and my MR762, I'm starting up twin LWRC dedicated suppressed builds for us. I'm also buying a KAC SR15 to match hers for when we want light and fast. Anyway......we had both planned on getting SCAR17's for a while, but she's changed her mind. Now I know, I don't need to get her one of everything I've got, and I don't need copies of everything. (It's a habit I have, find something you like, and buy two. Just incase once breaks I have a backup. Especially with the political climate.)

Now I absolutely hated the SCAR 16 I fired about 250 rounds through. But I loved the SCAR17 I fired two mags through. But with the amount of AR's we'll have in the house, plus the MR762 I have now setup as a DMR, and the MR762 I'm getting to do a G28 clone........I'm thinking do I need a battle rifle. I know the SCAR17 is probably the best in class do it all 7.62/308 there is. I would have picked up a M1A SOCOM II if Springfield didn't pull the shit they did. (They're absolutely dead to me) So what it's down to is this. I'll have DMR's in my two MR762's and one bolt action R700 SPS tactical 20". With the AR's I'll have total on hand, plus what I already do have. Do I really need the SCAR17?

Does the battle rifle have a place in my kit? Before you ask, yes I'll run it and already stock ammo. I definitely will add an extended M Lok rail, trigger, different butt stock and pistol grip. And I will definitely need to buy a lot of mags for it. Plus probably a VCOG or something that will withstand the punishment of the piston. Something in 6x or 8x. So the whole project isn't going to be cheap. So if I drop it, I'll be saving money. I do really want one, and it is the king kong of battle rifles as far as I'm concerned.

So do those with them love them, and run them frequently? Or can I go without it? Or should I sell the mags I've purchased in planning to get this rifle to my buddy and focus on the projects I've got?

GJM
03-03-2018, 07:29 PM
Perhaps a better name for this thread would be “do I want a battle rifle.”

Kyle Reese
03-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Yes. Buy one.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

shane45
03-03-2018, 07:57 PM
I have a SCAR 17 because my other 308's were a ton more money and I cringe at running them fast and hard, especially the ones that shoot in the .4's .5's and .6's. The SCAR is for when I want to do things abusive to a 308 platform. Additionally, not that I can take advantage of it (NJ) it is quite cool/useful that it folds!

navyman8903
03-03-2018, 08:13 PM
And a 13” barrel (and the requisite tax stamp). :)

Man, a 13" .308 has to bark.

Unobtanium
03-03-2018, 08:29 PM
I had an sr25 acc mlok. I kept it a few months. I sold it because I moved to 6 acres where 100 yards was my longest shot. There was no need for a battle rifle. I replaced it with a benelli m4 14" entry with c stock. Why? Because cool guy points and a 12ga slug will do as well or better than a .308 for getting inside cars, killing big North American game (100y or less line of sight....), and 12ga in the house is king, and at night on running coyote flite control buck does the deed.

However, I see you're in Texas...where? In wooded area, or gods country? The mission drives the gear, and your mission may involve 800m use.

Ps. Get a k16i, mk6, or 1-8 nightforce. All are proven, and all are way better than the vcog. I've owned all these optics except the nightforce. They all had good and bad points except for the vcog. It's an 800 dollar scope and didn't belong in the group due to illumination, optical prowess, reticle, or anything but light transmission and optical clarity. The only positive I can say is the glass quality was on par. Nothing else was. It's not near a true 1x, either, imo. I used to love trijicon back when acog was the rage, but Now? The rmr is cool on a pistol...

navyman8903
03-03-2018, 09:00 PM
I had an sr25 acc mlok. I kept it a few months. I sold it because I moved to 6 acres where 100 yards was my longest shot. There was no need for a battle rifle. I replaced it with a benelli m4 14" entry with c stock. Why? Because cool guy points and a 12ga slug will do as well or better than a .308 for getting inside cars, killing big North American game (100y or less line of sight....), and 12ga in the house is king, and at night on running coyote flite control buck does the deed.

However, I see you're in Texas...where? In wooded area, or gods country? The mission drives the gear, and your mission may involve 800m use.

Ps. Get a k16i, mk6, or 1-8 nightforce. All are proven, and all are way better than the vcog. I've owned all these optics except the nightforce. They all had good and bad points except for the vcog. It's an 800 dollar scope and didn't belong in the group due to illumination, optical prowess, reticle, or anything but light transmission and optical clarity. The only positive I can say is the glass quality was on par. Nothing else was. It's not near a true 1x, either, imo. I used to love trijicon back when acog was the rage, but Now? The rmr is cool on a pistol...

That's solid advice. I'm in the Fort Worth part of DFW, northern area. It can go from city to gods country fast. Lots of flat open terrain with splashes of urban sprawl and houses. Then nothing again. So I can easily reach out to range and have shots up to 800-1000 if the state of affairs dictated I needed to shoot at things in my area. I do also agree and understand if I had to have just one rifle, the SCAR17 is a solid choice. Hits hard, runs well, and is combat tested. It's also very light, and easy to maintenance. Only drawbacks are the polymer lower I guess, the butt stock, the need to modify any aftermarket grip to install it, and then there's the price. Mags aren't too bad at about $40 a pop. Nothing like $10-13 a pop for P mags. I'm not changing the lower out to take P mags. I've already got 3 mags on hand.

I'm just not sure it's 100% necessary for me to have. The AR's I have with the 77gr stuff takes me to 500-600 range on 8x. And I've got a .308 precision setup. I also love the idea of the battle rifle and respect its capability. Just on the fence still. I know the total price of everything will land me more than the MR762 DMR I am setting up ($6850 start to finish) but cheaper than the G28 clone I'm building ( I don't even want to add it up at this point). Probably easily in the $7K region. I mean there's nothing that does all of the things it does out there honestly. So that's why I'm still stuck on the SCAR 17. I can't bring myself to take it off the list, but I'm wondering if I need it at the same time.

olstyn
03-03-2018, 09:09 PM
I mean there's nothing that does all of the things it does out there honestly. So that's why I'm still stuck on the SCAR 17. I can't bring myself to take it off the list, but I'm wondering if I need it at the same time.

Then reverse it - are there other items in your safe that the SCAR 17 could enable you to sell because it could take on their roles as well?

navyman8903
03-03-2018, 09:21 PM
Then reverse it - are there other items in your safe that the SCAR 17 could enable you to sell because it could take on their roles as well?

Well, that's a good point. I can't ditch some of the things in my safe though. The MR762 fits me so well and is point and click level accuracy. I also think the HK barrel will be more accurate over range vs the SCAR. But the SCAR is accurate. Especially for the barrel profile. It's a good all around rifle. This is going to be a tough decision all the way around. Not that anyone has them in stock, but I have to decide what I'm doing with this gun list before I pull in from deployment this fall.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
03-03-2018, 09:36 PM
Perhaps a better name for this thread would be “do I want a battle rifle.”

Or "Do I Need A Battle Rifle That Eats Optics?"

Alembic
03-03-2018, 10:06 PM
I'd get another MR762, and make it as light possible, a short barrel, a LPVO, done. You like the platform. Appeal to your good sense of duplicates by sharing mags and spare parts with your DMR.

Actually, for a proven .308 battle rifle, I would get a HK91, start the SBR tax stamp process and have it rebuilt by Parabellum Combat Systems as a G3k, but that's just me.

Matt O
03-03-2018, 10:07 PM
Need, want, meh. More importantly, in addition to the initial outlay, can you afford to feed it? You say you already stock ammo, but there's a pretty significant price delta between 5.56 and 7.62. That's what's always stopped me from buying one.

StraitR
03-03-2018, 10:42 PM
Man, a 13" .308 has to bark.

Suppressor all things. If you don't have a can yet, you should do that before buying another rifle, IMO.

HCM
03-03-2018, 11:42 PM
Or "Do I Need A Battle Rifle That Eats Optics?"

The SCAR doesn’t eat quality optics.

HCM
03-03-2018, 11:47 PM
I'd get another MR762, and make it as light possible, a short barrel, a LPVO, done. You like the platform. Appeal to your good sense of duplicates by sharing mags and spare parts with your DMR.

Actually, for a proven .308 battle rifle, I would get a HK91, start the SBR tax stamp process and have it rebuilt by Parabellum Combat Systems as a G3k, but that's just me.

The G3 platform is old tech though not as dated as the FAL or M14. If you want a G3K the easy way to do it is buy a PTR K3P as a “brace” pistol and add a stock once your firm 1 is approved.

navyman8903
03-03-2018, 11:56 PM
Suppressor all things. If you don't have a can yet, you should do that before buying another rifle, IMO.

I'm a little north of you stationed in Mayport on a ship(deployed currently), but my home is Texas, after I leave here I'm going back home. (I like florida, but Texas is where I'm going to hang my hat.) I'm not sure how the whole NFA thing is going to work like that. My ID is Texas and my orders are FL. I'm not sure I can get a can like that. But I might try when I get back. I have a few on my list. The LWRC builds in my OP are doing to be dedicated suppressed setups, with a DBAL, NX8's, and a light. All operator like. I would also like a 7.62 OSS Helix for one of my MR762 builds. So they're on there, but I'm not sure how the whole stationed vs home state works in my situation.

HCM
03-04-2018, 12:12 AM
Ive had a SCAR 17 since 2013. It is accurate and reliable. Particularly accurate with lighter match ammo like 155 grain due to the twist rate. It does not have issues with quality optics and quality mounts. I’ve run an Aimpoint M4 and a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 in an ADM mount on mine without issue. I recall Sean M. Ran a standard Leupold VX-6 on a SCAR H during an overseas tour without issue.

I’ve added the MREX MLOK rail and swapped for a Tango down large pistol grip. The trigger on mine and my cousin’s are both pretty good as is but Geissele is always an option. I’m looking to upgrade optics to a 1-6 or 1-8.

Bottom line is it’s nice but I mostly have it because it’s “not” an AR -10 and is something different to shoot for fun. Plus I’ve always wanted aN FAL Para Congo and the SCAR is like a contemporary version.

In terms of practical application it doesn’t do anything a quality AR-10 can’t do. The suggestion to simply get another HK MR762 is solid given the commonality of parts, magazines, training etc

Re: “battle rifles” they are cool but have very limited real application vs 5.56 with specialized optics and ammo.

Re: Old battle rifles. The FAL and G3 were good in their day but are pretty dated. The M14 was inferior to both in terms of reliability, servicability and ability to mount optics. If you must have an M1A, buy at full size or one of the 18” scout/squad models with the standard gas piston system. The so called “SOCOM” model is wholly a marketing invention on the part of SAI inc and suffers significant reliability and durability issues due to the modified gas system.

Alembic
03-04-2018, 12:12 AM
The G3 platform is old tech though not as dated as the FAL or M14. If you want a G3K the easy way to do it is buy a PTR K3P as a “brace” pistol and add a stock once your firm 1 is approved.

I agree, you are correct, for a number of reasons.

I just figured, with the $numbers the OP is throwing around, why mess with a PTR. As much as I think we should all buy with a value in mind, if one can afford to go all in, get the german barrel.

And don't get me wrong, I love my PTR, with as many original HK parts as 922 possible.

HCM
03-04-2018, 12:16 AM
I'm a little north of you stationed in Mayport on a ship(deployed currently), but my home is Texas, after I leave here I'm going back home. (I like florida, but Texas is where I'm going to hang my hat.) I'm not sure how the whole NFA thing is going to work like that. My ID is Texas and my orders are FL. I'm not sure I can get a can like that. But I might try when I get back. I have a few on my list. The LWRC builds in my OP are doing to be dedicated suppressed setups, with a DBAL, NX8's, and a light. All operator like. I would also like a 7.62 OSS Helix for one of my MR762 builds. So they're on there, but I'm not sure how the whole stationed vs home state works in my situation.

Both FL and TX are NFA states so it shouldn’t be a big deal.

If you don’t already have a trust, I would recommend going through silencer shop for it. I’m sure they can answer your question. If not they have an NFA attorney on call and access is included with the trust service.

I’d be pretty surprised if Gun Gallery in Jacksonville couldn’t answer that question for you as well.

HCM
03-04-2018, 12:19 AM
I agree, you are correct, for a number of reasons.

I just figured, with the $numbers the OP is throwing around, why mess with a PTR. As much as I think we should all buy with a value in mind, if one can afford to go all in, get the german barrel.

And don't get me wrong, I love my PTR, with as many original HK parts as 922 possible.

Having previously owned both an HK 91 and a PTR I have no reservations about the PTR. if my PTR had the welded on 1913 rail the currently come with, I would likely still have it.

Jay585
03-04-2018, 12:32 AM
Army SF guy talking about .223 v .308

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sh1gNW4yeI

Hickok45 revisiting the SCAR17 and talking about why he's raffling it off. Camera guy (his son) explains what it's like being a bystander of the gun being fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amXsjY8zpls

Why'd you hate the 16 but like the 17? Except for caliber, everything else is the same (except maybe weight).

I have one, I waffle back and forth on if it was a wise purchase. It's a cool gun and lightweight, but for $3k I think there are better options for the civilian user.

I can't bring myself to take it off the list, but I'm wondering if I need it at the same time.
"Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt"

There's a fella on here who used one quite a bit, posted some thoughts about it:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?5709-SCAR-17-discussion&p=97256&viewfull=1#post97256

In addition the same fella also says,

It's not an AR. Don't treat it like one, don't carry it like one. They are hard on optics. Don't use an EOTech. Check mags for function before buying in bulk. Replace the folding factory stock; it's garbage. Make sure you run the gas block on proper setting if you're shooting it suppressed. QC has been hit and miss. Hopefully you got a good one.

and,

What he said ⬆️ (referring to a poster who linked to the Scar 17 discussion thread I've provided above).

Unless you had a very specific question, that is pretty much what I can say about the SCAR-H.

If I wanted a 7.62 semi-auto rifle, it would still be a contender. I have no use for one, and have liquidated my safe of my .308's, and am not up to date on what other options are currently available.

So after all that said, if you were to ask "if you could go back in time and buy something else, would you" the answer to that would be "yes".

nightstalker865
03-04-2018, 08:46 AM
My SCAR 17 is my favorite all around rifle. It shoots 1 MOA or slightly better all day long with SMK’s and prints very respectable groups with any bulk ammo I’ve fed it. It’s light, easy to maintain, and has been 100% reliable. As you mentioned in your OP, the MK17’s have been subjected to 1000’s of hours of hard use in theater and have preformed very well.

I’ve got mine setup with a host of KDG and Geissele parts. If I could only own one rifle, this would be it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180304/cfccef8898bdf653a8d3a419dd1d8deb.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180304/b063eb1406ad69b1fb578f660038026d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCM
03-04-2018, 11:07 AM
My SCAR 17 is my favorite all around rifle. It shoots 1 MOA or slightly better all day long with SMK’s and prints very respectable groups with any bulk ammo I’ve fed it. It’s light, easy to maintain, and has been 100% reliable. As you mentioned in your OP, the MK17’s have been subjected to 1000’s of hours of hard use in theater and have preformed very well.

I’ve got mine setup with a host of KDG and Geissele parts. If I could only own one rifle, this would be it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180304/cfccef8898bdf653a8d3a419dd1d8deb.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180304/b063eb1406ad69b1fb578f660038026d.jpg

How are you liking the KDG stock?

nightstalker865
03-04-2018, 01:20 PM
How are you liking the KDG stock?

Love it so far. It is built like a tank and locks up nice and solid.

StraitR
03-04-2018, 01:52 PM
Both FL and TX are NFA states so it shouldn’t be a big deal.

If you don’t already have a trust, I would recommend going through silencer shop for it. I’m sure they can answer your question. If not they have an NFA attorney on call and access is included with the trust service.

I’d be pretty surprised if Gun Gallery in Jacksonville couldn’t answer that question for you as well.

No doubt. Ask for Neil. 904-641-1619

navyman8903
03-04-2018, 02:44 PM
No doubt. Ask for Neil. 904-641-1619

I actually frequent the place, no knock on them. They're really knowledgeable and they have my business. But I have to do my own research. I didn't talk to Neil, but they said it should be good, but I should check. Which I am going to do. I plan on doing the research on deployment and asking a legal professional I trust before pulling the trigger.

navyman8903
03-04-2018, 03:27 PM
Army SF guy talking about .223 v .308

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sh1gNW4yeI

Hickok45 revisiting the SCAR17 and talking about why he's raffling it off. Camera guy (his son) explains what it's like being a bystander of the gun being fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amXsjY8zpls

Why'd you hate the 16 but like the 17? Except for caliber, everything else is the same (except maybe weight).

I have one, I waffle back and forth on if it was a wise purchase. It's a cool gun and lightweight, but for $3k I think there are better options for the civilian user.

"Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt"

There's a fella on here who used one quite a bit, posted some thoughts about it:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?5709-SCAR-17-discussion&p=97256&viewfull=1#post97256

In addition the same fella also says,

and,

So after all that said, if you were to ask "if you could go back in time and buy something else, would you" the answer to that would be "yes".

So to answer the question why I don't like the SCAR 16. First it doesn't do anything that my AR's won't do, especially my piston ARs. But that's a go to argument as correct as it is. The other reason I didn't like it is, I felt every single time the piston went to the rear and it pulled the Trijicon MRO off target noticeably each shot. I felt the entire cycle of operations each shot. The bolt and everything is too heavy for the setup of the rifle in the 5.56 configuration.

I've run a lot of guns and my youtube stuff is out there. I think the SCAR17 runs smoother and as intended in the .308 version. I've run FAL's flat, and VZ58's. A whole list of different guns. Even the Tavor is smoother than the SCAR16 I ran. I also put a healthy amount of rounds through it. It didn't take me long to decide I didn't like it, but I kept running it anyway. Just didn't like how it ran, and my other 5.56 guns were running just fine.

I do like the 17, I enjoyed running it and the capability it brought to the table. The 17 feels right at home as is, it feels like it was supposed to be a .308, and the 16 was an afterthought.

navyman8903
03-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Double tap

Ed L
03-06-2018, 03:30 AM
I have an MR762 and have been kicking around the idea of a SCAR17 for years. The MR762 (Civi HKK417) is just to heavy for me to use for anything but a long range precision gun used from a rest. I don't think I fired it since 2015.

I've testfired the SCAR17 and could not bring myself to get enamored with it. When firing a box of ammo from it from an odd shaped rest the reciprocating charging handle got caught on something and caused a failure to feed. It had had a weird recoil sensation that felt weird against my cheek when fired from the bench. I've never felt anything like it in firing a wide variety of other guns It would seem that it would get annoying after prolonged use.

The trigger sucked and the muzzle brake caused a painful concussion. If I were to buy one I would get a Geissele trigger and the original SCAR flash hider. I wanted to like the gun, but I just could not summon up the interest to carry through and buy one--not to mention not the need.

Jay585
03-06-2018, 07:51 AM
I may have gotten a unicorn OEM trigger but I think the trigger is decent for a battle rifle.

nightstalker865
03-06-2018, 06:15 PM
I may have gotten a unicorn OEM trigger but I think the trigger is decent for a battle rifle.

Mine was perfectly useable as well. My Geissele upgrade made a night and day difference though. Yes it’s expensive, but if you catch them on one of their 40% off deals, it’s well worth the investment.

HCM
03-06-2018, 06:37 PM
My OEM Trigger is good as well. All the poor quality SCAR trigger pulls I’ve experience havebeen on SCAR 16s rather than 17s.

Ed L
03-07-2018, 03:40 AM
The SCAR-17 triggers I have experienced have been on the heavy side--and I run my ARs with regular factory triggers.

If you read my posts on the SCAR-17 carefully you might come up with the conclusion that I have been talking myself out of one for a while.

And you might be right.