PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Class Gear

Nocturnalis Discipulo
03-01-2018, 06:33 PM
I am going to Tac Con and do not want to miss out on the ability to train with Dagga Boy . I have no formal shotgun training and I am unsure what I need for this class, or for shotgun classes in general.

I am going to be using a 1301 Comp with a Tau Shroud. I am going back and forth on whether the Ariduc QDC is worth it for me. If i get the QDC i was thinking about HSGI Taco mag pouches to hold spares and do double duty with AR mags, will this work? I am hoping to get in a Rifle class as well. Do shotgun slings need to be any different than the standard BFG or VCAS? Am I missing anything else needed for this short format class? I do want to get additional training in the future, any advice on gear for the newbie? Also any general advice for ammo management or anything else?

Dagga Boy
03-02-2018, 09:01 AM
I am a big fan of working off the gun, and will explain why in class...so, all my guns have a receiver mounted loading system. The Aridus is the best built of all of them.
I am also a huge fan of the dump pouch. Always find them workable. There is some video out there of me working rolling thunder with a Benelli M1S90 that was dead Stock with nothing on it and worked the process entirely from a dump pouch without issue. I have been through a lot of shotgun classes, am usually the top shooter and work a lot from the dump pouch. For the strong side, I like the Safariland loafers that hold 2-4 shells depending on type. When I was working, I used a a lot of chest mounted stuff for any of my long guns.
We will spend significant time and you will get plenty of work in class on Ammo management. I will spend some solid time in the classroom portion and be very open to questions on how I like to set up guns and what gear I have had success with in the field over a lot of years.

txdpd
03-02-2018, 01:23 PM
I don't know how much shooting you'll be doing, but it never hurts to figure out how to bandaid and/or tape up your loading thumb and still be able to load your shotgun without your tape getting ripped off on the lifter. It doesn't hurt to have some bandaids and tape anyways.

DamonL
03-04-2018, 08:47 AM
Gloves, dump pouch, and this shoulder pad are really useful.

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-350010-Field-Shield/dp/B0009TRNRK/ref=pd_bxgy_200_2/138-1603782-7454826?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0009TRNRK&pd_rd_r=YDRTJVMD2H8X0KF7J7WJ&pd_rd_w=p9PVe&pd_rd_wg=MAo3q&psc=1&refRID=YDRTJVMD2H8X0KF7J7WJ

Shotgun specific shell holders are nice to have.

https://www.amazon.com/Safariland-Model-Shotgun-Holder-085-12-23-MS36/dp/B008CPZM8K

https://www.amazon.com/Safariland-12guage-Shotgun-Tactical-Ambidextrous/dp/B0000C52OF/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1520171860&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=safariland+2+shotshell+holder

ssb
03-04-2018, 12:28 PM
I went to my first one the other week with a receiver-mounted carrier and a pocket full of shells. I was able to work rolling thunder that way, as well as handle the other stuff.

I use a Vang Comp DSAC, which is a refinement of the velcro side saddle. I went to class with only one velcro card because that's what I had.
When I attend Tom Givens's course in August, I'll have more cards with me. Constantly having to refill the side saddle, particularly when trying to keep up with higher round counts, can get tiring.

So yeah... more shotgun cards if that's your thing. Even one spare card would have made a big difference for me. I don't personally go for a belt mounted carrier of any sort due to my intended use of the gun. Were I a LEO I think things would be different.

As for a sling, I think a standard two-point would have been a great help if nothing else so I didn't have to stand there with a nine-pound gun in my hands all day.

SpyderMan2k4
03-04-2018, 01:13 PM
you'll quickly find that in classes, ammo management becomes the challenge. Dump pouches are good. I'm obviously partial to the Q-DC if funds allow, otherwise quality Velcro cards suffice.

Removable carriers are as much a training aid as anything else. If you ever NEED to use your gun, you're likely only going to have what's on your gun - no dump pouch, no rounds stuffed in pockets. For this reason, getting as many reps as possible reloading from a side saddle is a huge benefit... otherwise you'll get 4-6 reps, then you'll be reaching for dump pouch or trying backfill the side saddle on the line which sucks.

That being said, I usually use a dump pouch at class too, because there's times even 4 or 5 loaded carriers still isn't enough ammo.

Beyond that, just your typical gun class stuff.. necessary tools, lube, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Erick Gelhaus
03-04-2018, 02:14 PM
I am a big fan of working off the gun, and will explain why in class...so, all my guns have a receiver mounted loading system. The Aridus is the best built of all of them.
I am also a huge fan of the dump pouch. Always find them workable. .

What he said ^^^^.

Gloves have been finicky for me with shotguns. At the start of winter I'll work with them as a reminder but I prefer to not wear them.
Shoulder pads? I took one & used it in my second shotgun class. However, once mounting the 'gun correctly was wired in the pad was not needed.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
03-04-2018, 02:41 PM
I *was* a TacStar etc. side saddle guy for MANY yrs. until last August @ DB’s SG tuneup, when I gave velcro cards a hard look.

During this *social event* I spent a good bit of time coon fingering & talking to Jackdog about his Q-DC etc. I ordered my 1st Q-DC the next week, bought a 2nd for my nephew @ Xmas & am waiting on my 2nd personal Q-DC from Adam as I type this.

Like DB & Adam I’m also a dump pouch fan, (TY Pat RIP amigo) and every SG class since 2014 w/ DB or Tom I’ve used a BFG padded 2 point sling w/ zero issues, either on my 18” VCS 870’s or my current 1301Ts.

ST911
03-04-2018, 04:54 PM
I went to my first one the other week with a receiver-mounted carrier and a pocket full of shells.

Were you able to rally 'round the family?

David S.
03-04-2018, 08:19 PM
Shotgun, Sling system, dump pouch.

Based on attending DB's class twice, I've decided on the fixed side saddle over the detachable.

Cacafuego
03-05-2018, 01:27 AM
Were you able to rally 'round the family?

lol

Nocturnalis Discipulo
03-05-2018, 12:19 PM
So does anyone know if the Q-DC will fit in the HSGI tacos, or a better way to carry them SpyderMan2k4 ? Does this look like a good dump pouch? https://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-Rollypoly-Folding-Dump-Pouch/dp/B004H0Z612 , or any recommendations there?
This may be a dumb question but I haven't used the style of sling swivel that comes on the 1301 Comp. Who makes a good one that works with VTAC Wide slings? Also 1301 Comp choke tubes are these good to go http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-choke-tube-optimachoke-hp-black-edition-20mm-extended-12-ga/ or is there another set by a third party worth considering?

I had not thought about belt carriers but buying one or two seems like a good idea to get familiar with.
The bandaid and tape is a good idea I hadn't thought of, I have some finger tape that should work great thanks.

03RN
03-08-2018, 08:39 PM
This is the second time this week I've seen the Aridus recommended. I'm thinking about trying them out. How much wider is it compared to esstac cards mounted?

SpyderMan2k4
03-10-2018, 12:48 PM
This is the second time this week I've seen the Aridus recommended. I'm thinking about trying them out. How much wider is it compared to esstac cards mounted?Can't speak for the cards, but when it's on the side of the gun, the Q-DC is 7.14" wide, 1.5" tall, and is approximately 1.4" thick

Dagga Boy
03-11-2018, 01:15 AM
This is the second time this week I've seen the Aridus recommended. I'm thinking about trying them out. How much wider is it compared to esstac cards mounted?

My pet 870 has an older sidesaddle with the actual steel backing plate. Otherwise, my current primary guns are using the Aridus setups. My thought based on actual use is that with shotguns, itÂ’s run what you brung. I like to know that my spareammo that is exposed is secure and well protected. The Aridus does that in spades.

03RN
03-11-2018, 05:19 AM
Thanks guys.

Can someone take a pic looking down on it?

SpyderMan2k4
03-11-2018, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys.

Can someone take a pic looking down on it?Universal model on a 1301.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180311/6cea18305b83d741b1505887fa74fb37.jpg

03RN
03-11-2018, 06:11 PM
Universal model on a 1301.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180311/6cea18305b83d741b1505887fa74fb37.jpg

Thanks. I'll be picking one up.