PDA

View Full Version : AR 10 Suggestions

Shotgun
02-28-2018, 11:28 PM
What is the Colt 6920 of the AR 10 world? Is there a consensus as to a nice AR 10 that isn’t in the LaRue price range?

Default.mp3
02-28-2018, 11:50 PM
The old LMT MWS with the bazillion inches of 1913 can be found for like 2600 USD new; I'd think the LMTs are by far the most tested AR-10-ish guns out there, besides probably the KAC guns. I would argue that the LMTs are the 6920s of the AR-10 world, but on the basis of the use, and not necessarily the pricing.

Heard mixed reviews on the Colt 901s, but ultimately, it is a Colt.

The Daniel Defense DDV1s can be found for sub-2500 USD.

Haven't heard too much about the PWS MK2s, but PWS has always done right by me on my MK110, and I've not heard any real negatives about them as a company.

The M&P10s are suppose to be a great budget choice, as are the DPMS G2s, but you're getting what you're paying for; they're more like M&P15s than 6920s.

.308 ARs are a strange beast, given the lack of standardization. Lot of companies out there with .308 ARs, some with good reps, some not, but ultimately very few with establish track records on the .308 guns.

HCM
03-01-2018, 12:49 AM
There is no consensus and very little standardization among AR-10s. Certainly no 6920 equivalent.

A good quality AR 10 will be between $2,000 and $3,000.

Below that, best chances are a S&W M&P 10, the Armalite DEF 10 or a build via an Aero M5 receiver set. Not a fan of Aeros complete guns - the small parts not made by Aero and the assembly leave much to be desired.

Suvorov
03-01-2018, 01:11 AM
I went with a PWS Mk216. Have had it about 2 years now. Mostly VERY HAPPY with it but I have had two instances of the bolt release plunger getting stuck in the receiver. The first instance required it going back to Boise mostly due to my stupidity. The second instance I remedied at home and hopefully I am done with this issue. They recently came out with an update version. I have shot honest sub MOA groups out to 200 yards with it and reliability has been good but more prone to user induced malfunction than my 5.56 guns have been. They can be had for about $2400. Looked at LaRue's, Daniel Defense, POF, and LMT and they were either too expensive for me or too heavy or in the case of POF - too edgy. Wanted to look at the Colt but couldn't find one out here in Kalifornia, wanted to like the Smith but could only find the ones without a rail. If I was on a budget I think I would go with the Smith though as they are fairly well reviewed, lighter weight, and can be had for around a grand.

schüler
03-05-2018, 10:50 AM
For off the shelf...

LMT MWS is "overgassed" for non-mil and ultimate accuracy. But reliable and decently accurate (see British mil L129A1). Able to be tuned with aftermarket parts and barrels - swap barrel feature is kewl. The LM8 MWS narrowed the handguard and has bolt-on rail accessories.

DPMS, S&W offerings are a good value but not duty grade IMO.

PhillySoldier
03-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Just ordered a Sig 716 DMR Gen 2 - $2,600

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig716g2-dmr-fde-1.html

3-7-77
03-05-2018, 01:11 PM
I have a DD5V1 and am satisfied with it. I was between that and a SCAR. What tipped the scales was a Geissele trigger and long forend from the factory, cheap magpul mags.

Mine I perhaps call would call under gassed or just right, depending on your definition. It wouldn’t run unsupressed with Federal XM80 for a couple of hundred rounds (fail to lock back, etc). Ran fine with PMC, MEN, etc. now that things have worn in it runs great. Shoots about moa for me at 100 yards with XM80 and MEN 147 grains.

I haven’t tried match ammo yet. No gas to face shooting suppressed. It is a little front heavy, I’m considering having the barrel fluted or dimpled to try and trim off some weight.

Overall, I’m happy I have it, it scratches my AR10 itch and is a joy to shoot.

Default.mp3
03-05-2018, 01:16 PM
Just ordered a Sig 716 DMR Gen 2 - $2,600

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig716g2-dmr-fde-1.html That did win the CANSOF contract for a battle rifle, IIRC, though I'm still wary of Sig on the civilian side.

PhillySoldier
03-05-2018, 01:21 PM
That did win the CANSOF contract for a battle rifle, IIRC, though I'm still wary of Sig on the civilian side.

To be honest Im holding my breath myself... so far Ive read plenty of good about it and have been watching it for awhile now but there isnt a whole lot of reviews specially on the gen 2 which just came out recently

Chance
03-05-2018, 03:04 PM
Piecing together an AR-308 / AR-10 can be a (relatively) cost-effective way of approaching this. I experimented a little a few years ago (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?20775-Matching-a-Barrel-and-BCG). Just make sure who ultimately assembles it knows what they're doing: it's not rocket surgery, but the minutia can make a huge difference in the consistent performance of the final product.

LittleLebowski
03-05-2018, 03:48 PM
I’d go Seekins.

Sigfan26
03-05-2018, 04:13 PM
I've been very tempted to buy this:
https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-7-62-260-6-5cm-upper-kit/

And This:
https://www.larue.com/products/larue-billet-lowers/

LittleLebowski
03-06-2018, 07:03 AM
I've been very tempted to buy this:
https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-7-62-260-6-5cm-upper-kit/

And This:
https://www.larue.com/products/larue-billet-lowers/

Oh yeah, that's the thinking man's option. Near or equal to .308 performance in an AR15 sized package.

JodyH
03-06-2018, 08:02 AM
When it comes to the AR-10 or AR based 7.62 rifles there is no standardization.

I personally went with the H&K MR762.
H&K is winning a lot of Mil/LE contracts with the HK417/MR762 platform which means it's closer to being "standard" than most others right now and it's been proven reliable and durable in Mil/LE testing.
I guess you could say the MR762 is about as close to a 6920 as you're going to get in the 7.62 AR world. It's a civilian version of a military issued rifle from a company who actually makes military rifles and doesn't cut corners on the civilian version (like Colt and the 6920).

I've shot mine to 1000Y (with good 15x glass) on 18" steel plates and any misses were 100% my fault. If I made the correct wind call and a good trigger press the rifle would stack the rounds on target.
I've also shot it in high round count 3-gun matches with cheap steel cased ammo and it's never malfunctioned.

Downside is you can spend a ridiculous amount of money on one in a very short amount of time and it's a bit of a heavy pig unless you put it on a diet.
My setup:
MR762-A1
Elcan 1.5-6x optic
Geissele trigger
CIM Tactical M-Lock slim rail (part of the diet plan)
H&K slim buttstock (part of the diet)
Colt safety lever (ambi-safety levers chew my finger up)
Magpul MOE grip (personal preference)

Sigfan26
03-06-2018, 10:12 AM
Oh yeah, that's the thinking man's option. Near or equal to .308 performance in an AR15 sized package.

That is actually the .308 builder kit, lol

Tokarev
03-06-2018, 10:28 AM
What's the intended role for the rifle? An extended range carbine? Something that's fairly light and meant to be carried around? Or do you want something that's heavier and built to be set on a bipod or bench? Something meant for more of a precision rifle scenario?

Shotgun
03-06-2018, 04:10 PM
What's the intended role for the rifle? An extended range carbine? Something that's fairly light and meant to be carried around? Or do you want something that's heavier and built to be set on a bipod or bench? Something meant for more of a precision rifle scenario?

Something that will bounce around primarily on the seat off a Polaris Ranger or in a pickup truck that will be handy for shooting coyotes and hogs in the 200 to 250 yard range. I would love to have a SCAR 17, too expensive. I would also enjoy having a LaRue (plus they are made here in Texas), too expensive. Jody isn't going to give me his rifle, but the H&K is very nice as well ($3,500 range at least). I was thinking something more along the lines of this:

https://www.rockriverarms.com/popup.cfm?type=i&id=products/pu308m.gif

That's about $1,400.00. After only an hour or so on ranch roads the rifle will be covered in West Texas red dirt which will also creep in to virtually every nook and cranny on the rifle. If the rifle is in the seat of the Polaris, the dog will probably get on top of it after a swim in a tank. Yes, will try to avoid that, but I can't feed cattle and shoo the dog away at the same time. Suffice it to say, the rifle is going to be exposed to the elements with only periodic cleanings.

schüler
03-06-2018, 05:09 PM
For that application and budget I'd be looking at one of the cheaper, free float offerings such as DPMS, etc. I believe some manufacturers have made small firing pin the standard now.

If dust is a huge issue there is the ghetto silicone job between upper/lower and other openings. Including one/first mag that you keep in the rifle. Cut apart with razor blade and it can seal decently. Small diameter backer rod can help.

If a homebrew is most cost effective... Some of the guys I respect at Snipers Hide recommend starting with a Rubber City Armory BCG matched with a quality, fitted barrel and go from there.

DI1
03-06-2018, 05:57 PM
For your intended purpose, an AR-15 would work just fine.
A Colt 6920 or similarly well built AR with good ammunition could easily handle the tasks described.
If you just “want” an AR10, the LaRue Ultimate Upper kit and lower are very nice. You could easily carry it in some type of scabbard to keep it relatively clean. You would be looking at approximately $1800-$1900 plus an optic and QUALITY ammunition.
A cheaper and probably more reliable alternative is a FAL, especially one from DSA. You would be giving up match accuracy, but the FAL is a true battle rifle and can be very accurate with mil surplus ammunition. I would look for one with a 16” barrel.

navyman8903
03-06-2018, 06:15 PM
I'm going to also recommend the HK MR762. It's a very solid rifle, perfect if you're going the DMR route. You'll run into some challenges if you go the Battle Rifle route with it for sure. IF you want to keep it light, the setup above is the way to go. LPVO and trim weight where you can. It's not a super heavy rifle for the record, and you can make it lighter. All AR-10's have weight to them. There's a few that are lighter, but there's more to it than weight. I've found other than the excellent barrel, fit and finish of the HK, it also has excellent dwell time for precision marksmanship. It's longer which gives you an advantage in that arena. You can still shoot it as fast as you can pull the trigger, don't get me wrong. But it's a very accurate rifle for a semi auto.

There are other's out there, but I don't have much trigger time behind them. Going the budget AR10 route is potentially dangerous. I've found you've gotta be willing to spend in the $2800-3500 range to get a solid and reliable AR10. I also much prefer the piston AR10's over the DI setups. They get the gas problem into a manageable range. I also really like the HK bolt/carrier. It's made very well and for maximum reliability. And for the first time, I can honestly say an HK isn't the most expensive out there. There's a few out there that are more expensive.

OlongJohnson
03-06-2018, 07:37 PM
For the intended purpose, I second the AR-15. If you want to go a little bigger, 6.8 SPC is a solid option that keeps things in the cheap and cheerful world. You can start with an upper and mags.

Sigfan26
03-06-2018, 07:43 PM
Something that will bounce around primarily on the seat off a Polaris Ranger or in a pickup truck that will be handy for shooting coyotes and hogs in the 200 to 250 yard range. I would love to have a SCAR 17, too expensive. I would also enjoy having a LaRue (plus they are made here in Texas), too expensive. Jody isn't going to give me his rifle, but the H&K is very nice as well ($3,500 range at least). I was thinking something more along the lines of this:

That's about $1,400.00. After only an hour or so on ranch roads the rifle will be covered in West Texas red dirt which will also creep in to virtually every nook and cranny on the rifle. If the rifle is in the seat of the Polaris, the dog will probably get on top of it after a swim in a tank. Yes, will try to avoid that, but I can't feed cattle and shoo the dog away at the same time. Suffice it to say, the rifle is going to be exposed to the elements with only periodic cleanings.

While the LaRue builder kit I linked is a bit more (if you have them do assembly, test fire, and buy their lower), for about $1800 you can basically have the LaRue (minor assembly required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schüler
03-06-2018, 07:53 PM
A cheaper and probably more reliable alternative is a FAL, especially one from DSA. You would be giving up match accuracy, but the FAL is a true battle rifle and can be very accurate with mil surplus ammunition. I would look for one with a 16” barrel.

Agreed on the design's reliability in his conditions. Accuracy is not it's forte and not with ball.

.224 Valkyrie repeater would be interesting.

Trooper224
03-06-2018, 07:55 PM
What is the Colt 6920 of the AR 10 world?

The FAL. Oh, wait................

drummer
03-06-2018, 08:32 PM
In the $1500 range I would do the build it yourself Larue kit in the caliber of my choice. That said, I've fondled the new Savage 6.5 CM rifle and it handles nice. They failed to stake the castle nut and the gas block is set screwed, but then again, so is the Larue kit. Nothing a drill press and pin won't fix, however. For the money, it was lightweight and handy with the 18" CM barrel. I wouldn't trust it as a duty rifle but if it doesn't work from the factory, send it back and have them swap it out.

Me, I'd buy the Larue kit and call it a day, but I have the armorers tools to build it already.

El Cid
03-06-2018, 08:40 PM
I've been very pleased with my LaRue PredatAR. The only issue I've had is that it wouldn't run with my Silencerco can. They (LaRue) tried helping me diagnose and all but I don't consider it their fault. They did say they will guarantee their rifles to run with their cans or Surefire cans. Plus - you said you're in Texas. The Rangers use LaRue .308's.

If I were shopping today I'd look closely at Mega Arms. They've partnered with Hodge Defense on some things and I have a pre-lawsuit threat (by LMT) monolithic 5.56 upper of theirs that has been great. Finally, while it seems to defy logic, the Remington (DPMS) GII passed the FBI/DEA tests and is already being fielded by DEA. I believe their agents can buy them to carry on duty but it's been a while since I was told that. I haven't actually seen a DEA agent with one.

Default.mp3
03-06-2018, 08:44 PM
A cheaper and probably more reliable alternative is a FAL, especially one from DSA. You would be giving up match accuracy, but the FAL is a true battle rifle and can be very accurate with mil surplus ammunition. I would look for one with a 16” barrel.A PTR 91 would be even cheaper; I've actually heard some negative things about recent production DSAs, at least in relation to the price you have to pay for a new one.

Finally, while it seems to defy logic, the Remington (DPMS) GII passed the FBI/DEA tests and is already being fielded by DEA. I believe their agents can buy them to carry on duty but it's been a while since I was told that. I haven't actually seen a DEA agent with one.Is the RemDef CSASS available for civilian purchase?

El Cid
03-06-2018, 08:52 PM
Is the RemDef CSASS available for civilian purchase?

No idea. Didn't realize they entered the competition. When my research a few years ago kept me from buying Marlin lever guide gun because "Remington ruined them" I stopped paying attention to the company. I only knew about the GII because of guys I worked with.

JodyH
03-06-2018, 09:09 PM

Might I suggest the Steyr Scout for that purpose.
That's pretty much exactly what I use mine for and it's just about perfect when topped with a good 1-6x like a Kahles or Steiner.
I currently have a Aimpoint T2 on mine for s super fast handling pig whacker in the heavy brush around my brothers house in the mountains.

HCM
03-06-2018, 09:20 PM
I've been very pleased with my LaRue PredatAR. The only issue I've had is that it wouldn't run with my Silencerco can. They (LaRue) tried helping me diagnose and all but I don't consider it their fault. They did say they will guarantee their rifles to run with their cans or Surefire cans. Plus - you said you're in Texas. The Rangers use LaRue .308's.

If I were shopping today I'd look closely at Mega Arms. They've partnered with Hodge Defense on some things and I have a pre-lawsuit threat (by LMT) monolithic 5.56 upper of theirs that has been great. Finally, while it seems to defy logic, the Remington (DPMS) GII passed the FBI/DEA tests and is already being fielded by DEA. I believe their agents can buy them to carry on duty but it's been a while since I was told that. I haven't actually seen a DEA agent with one.

DEA has GOV issued GII’s - I’ve seen three, all GOV issue but they are just hitting the field. Not sure if they can carry them as POW on duty or not.

ICE’s SRT teams recently got a bunch of Remington Defense R4 11.5” select fire carbines. They have been good to go.

I have no doubt the GOV contract GIIs are good to go but I would caution that IME, there is often a large delta in the QC of Remington Defense products for military and LE and Remington Commercial products.

HCM
03-06-2018, 09:23 PM
A PTR 91 would be even cheaper; I've actually heard some negative things about recent production DSAs, at least in relation to the price you have to pay for a new one.

Is the RemDef CSASS available for civilian purchase?

In general, nothing from Remington Defense is availible for civilian purchase and rarely for individual LE or MIL sales. The released a few M2010 bolt guns but that’s about it.

HCM
03-06-2018, 09:30 PM

For what you describe I would recommend a 5.56 AR-15 set up in an SPR /DMR style with a high quality 1/8 free floated barrel, Geissele trigger and heavier bullet ammo like 69, 70,75 or 77 grain. The 77 grain IMI razor core is availible at reasonable prices and is stupid accurate.

If Texas made is a factor, I can recommend San Antonio based Sons Of Liberty Gun Works as an alternative to Larue.

DI1
03-06-2018, 09:31 PM
If you’re willing to go bolt gun, the Steyr Scout, Ruger Gunsite, CZ, Winchester M70 would be decent choices.

Regarding the FAL, I only have experience with the older DSA SA58’s and was getting very good accuracy with Portuguese 147gr mil surp ammo and an LPV optic. As per the HK91/PTR, they are good rifles, but very heavy.

Ed L
03-07-2018, 12:26 AM
All I can say is Wow.

When it comes to the AR-10 or AR based 7.62 rifles there is no standardization.

I personally went with the H&K MR762.
H&K is winning a lot of Mil/LE contracts with the HK417/MR762 platform which means it's closer to being "standard" than most others right now and it's been proven reliable and durable in Mil/LE testing.
I guess you could say the MR762 is about as close to a 6920 as you're going to get in the 7.62 AR world. It's a civilian version of a military issued rifle from a company who actually makes military rifles and doesn't cut corners on the civilian version (like Colt and the 6920).

I've shot mine to 1000Y (with good 15x glass) on 18" steel plates and any misses were 100% my fault. If I made the correct wind call and a good trigger press the rifle would stack the rounds on target.
I've also shot it in high round count 3-gun matches with cheap steel cased ammo and it's never malfunctioned.

Downside is you can spend a ridiculous amount of money on one in a very short amount of time and it's a bit of a heavy pig unless you put it on a diet.
My setup:
MR762-A1
Elcan 1.5-6x optic
Geissele trigger
CIM Tactical M-Lock slim rail (part of the diet plan)
H&K slim buttstock (part of the diet)
Colt safety lever (ambi-safety levers chew my finger up)
Magpul MOE grip (personal preference)

Brian T
03-07-2018, 01:44 AM
You can come see us at Lone Star Armory (www.lonestararmory.us) in Ft Worth about building a TX10. I think we are going to offer a "Truck Gun Heavy" to complement the current "Truck Gun Light", which is authorized by FWPD.

Shotgun
03-07-2018, 04:20 PM
For your intended purpose, an AR-15 would work just fine. . . .If you just “want” an AR10, the LaRue Ultimate Upper kit and lower are very nice.

For the intended purpose, I second the AR-15.

I have the AR-15s covered. In my experience, they do well on the coyotes at any available ranges offered by the Mesquite trees and other cover in West Texas. The hogs are a different matter. We sometimes see boars that through the trees, at first, can be mistaken for calves they are so large. The 5.56 is not ideal for the larger porkers.

And, I do just "want" the AR10. The fear of another assault weapons ban is getting to me, and I am worried that I may not always have the chance to get an AR10 with some high capacity magazines.

Might I suggest the Steyr Scout for that purpose.
That's pretty much exactly what I use mine for and it's just about perfect when topped with a good 1-6x like a Kahles or Steiner.
I currently have a Aimpoint T2 on mine for s super fast handling pig whacker in the heavy brush around my brothers house in the mountains.

I like your rifles. The Steyr would be perfect. I have an old Marlin 336 that serves the purpose as well. The Steyr will likely still be around even in the unlikely event a new assault weapons ban gets passed. So, I feel no urgency with trying to purchase one of those.

For what you describe I would recommend a 5.56 AR-15 set up in an SPR /DMR style with a high quality 1/8 free floated barrel, Geissele trigger and heavier bullet ammo like 69, 70,75 or 77 grain. The 77 grain IMI razor core is availible at reasonable prices and is stupid accurate.

If Texas made is a factor, I can recommend San Antonio based Sons Of Liberty Gun Works as an alternative to Larue.

I'm going to look into Sons of Liberty, and thank you for the suggestion.

You can come see us at Lone Star Armory (www.lonestararmory.us) in Ft Worth about building a TX10. I think we are going to offer a "Truck Gun Heavy" to complement the current "Truck Gun Light", which is authorized by FWPD.

Sounds like I need to make a trip over to Cow Town.

OlongJohnson
03-07-2018, 04:38 PM
There's also the Benelli R1. It's expensive, and the mags are punishingly so, but you can get 30-06 semi with 10-round mags and in a format that's relatively resistant to historic ban language. (AFAIK, it's not an assault rifle under current CA definitions.)

I picked up an FNAR on clearance and put on Browning Stalker furniture, which makes it no longer an assault rifle in CA, as long as I stick with 10-round mags and leave the 20-rounders in TX.

HeavyDuty
09-06-2022, 12:52 PM
Old thread, but still on point. Have there been any new developments?

Shotgun
09-06-2022, 01:44 PM
Old thread, but still on point. Have there been any new developments?

Yes. I ended up buying a Grendel instead. Ammo is hard to find, but it does a number on pigs.

Hopefully, others chime in and actually speak to AR-10s.

fatdog
09-06-2022, 02:36 PM
Ruger is supposed to be coming out with a new rifle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP9UCDbQ3Ek

HeavyDuty
09-06-2022, 03:26 PM
Ruger is supposed to be coming out with a new rifle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP9UCDbQ3Ek

That is what inspired me. I’m not sure if I wouldn’t do better with a more traditional AR-10, I have a feeling the Ruger is going to have a lot of proprietary parts.

A SIG 716i is tempting, I don’t mind a DI gun and it’s cheap.

Shotgun
09-06-2022, 05:45 PM
That is what inspired me. I’m not sure if I wouldn’t do better with a more traditional AR-10, I have a feeling the Ruger is going to have a lot of proprietary parts.

A SIG 716i is tempting, I don’t mind a DI gun and it’s cheap.

Quick search, just a few seconds without surfing around -- I am seeing this rifle online for right at $1,500.00. Priced right. It would be nice to hear if any of the PF brethren have one and what their experience has been.

Paul D
09-06-2022, 10:16 PM
Don't get an Aero! I have one. It is accurate but unreliable whether suppressed or not.

I am looking to replace it with a Sig Sauer 716i Tread. If it is good enough for the Indian Army, it's good enough for me.

HeavyDuty
09-07-2022, 12:03 PM
Life is too short. Ordered a 716i.

Shotgun
09-07-2022, 02:07 PM
Life is too short. Ordered a 716i.

Looking forward to the HeavyDuty review. What funs things will you soon be doing with your 716i? (And the clever ones among us please do not say say "shooting it.")

HeavyDuty
09-07-2022, 02:23 PM
Looking forward to the HeavyDuty review. What funs things will you soon be doing with your 716i? (And the clever ones among us please do not say say "shooting it.")

Well, I’m trying to join the local gun club, they have gongs out to 500. I am very fond of the FAL I had built fifteen or so years ago, but FALs aren’t great scoped rifles. I have a 1-6 sitting here doing nothing, so my thinking is that it will end up as a LPVO equipped battlerifleish toy for ringing gongs. Basically, just something I’ve wanted for awhile.

Shotgun
09-07-2022, 02:30 PM
Basically, just something I’ve wanted for awhile.

Awesome.

Cacafuego
02-09-2023, 02:23 AM
Dredging this back up.
I read through but saw little info on Daniel Defense options, or on the Barrett Rec10 (assuming one could be found).
Any opinions?

Tokarev
02-09-2023, 02:24 PM
PSA now owns DPMS and is working on re-launching the GII 308 rifles. Good news for fans of these guns.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Evil_Ed
02-10-2023, 11:27 AM
I've been circling around this topic for a few months now; scouring threads across the internet.

I considered and then discarded the Sig 716i - it does not come with an adjustable gas block; for me would be necessary as I would be shooting it both unsuppressed and suppressed. It appears AR10s are much less forgiving than AR15s are when it comes to gas setup, especially with a suppressor. India adopted it and ordered a ton a few years ago...and just recently cancelled the contract because "Reasons". Now, if those reasons are India being India (who will attempt to copy it and introduce their own vastly inferior version, but be proud about it) or Sig being Sig (maybe sending broken crap that didn't meet the TDP, or substituting stuff from one product line for another)...who knows. If I were never going to shoot this with a can on it, it would honestly probably already be in my safe; everything else about it screams "this is a good buy for what you're getting". Accuracy is ok, reliability is good (unsuppressed), for the moment Sig is supporting it. Now, 5 years from now Sig might drop it, too...and now that India has cancelled their contract, it seems more likely that this will follow the Sig 55x series of guns into the sunset. But, that's just my thoughts on it, I could be wrong.

LMT, LaRue, HK MR762...expensive but available (or at least orderable). The LMT's accuracy has apparently been a bit hit or miss. LaRue is expensive and not really "Walk into a store and buy one" available...not even going to consider KAC; unobtanium and horrifically expensive for what you get. The HK is nice and has a .mil pedigree but it's expensive and not the most accurate from what I'm reading. If I had money coming out of my ears and wanted the last word in AR10 though, it'd probably be a LaRue if I'm honest. At least I can call a number and get a hold of someone, and get parts if I needed to.

GA Precision, and a handful of other manufacturers...again expensive (2500+), waiting for things to be built, etc. Pretty generally well liked on Sniper's Hide though. I looked at the ADM MFG rifles and really liked them.

I think the eventual path I'm going to go down (and already took the first step down) - buying an Aero M5 308/etc lower, building it out to suit...then probably buying an Aero M5E1 built upper from Compass Lake Engineering. The uppers are a little expensive (around 1500+-), but it's built by them, with a known good barrel (Bartlein, Douglas, Krieger, Lilja), it comes with an adjustable gas block, and they're players in the precision game...so the accuracy should be there. Matched bolt, the whole works. That they're building it on an Aero upper is icing on the cake; you can build the lower to suit, and you can save some money and weight there. There's a ton of parts and aftermarket for the Aero/DPMS pattern. The only fly in the ointment is there isn't a whole lot of handguards available for the M5E1's "bayonet" style of handguard mounting...there's a few alternatives but not a whole lot, if you really want to shave some weight off by going for a skeleton handguard.

Edited to add - FWIW - I have a G3k clone (started life as a PTR K3P, 12"whatever inch barrel HK91 clone that I SBRed), a SCAR17, and a bunch of FALs...I like the SCAR so long as it's not suppressed. I haven't really shot it for groups at distance though since I don't really have good glass for it, and when I have had a can on it, what was a golfball sized group at 100 turned into basketball sized. It does NOT like being suppressed, at least not with my Dead Air Sandman-L. The FALs...well, they're FALs. The SCAR does most things better than the FAL does if I'm honest, but the FAL's got a panache the SCAR just can't possess. I also actually really like the PTR 308 shorty...I need to play around with some locking pieces and see if I can get it to comfortably shoot suppressed.

The AR10 though, that is almost purely driven by a precision autoloading rifle want.

MountainRaven
02-10-2023, 12:21 PM
I considered and then discarded the Sig 716i - it does not come with an adjustable gas block; for me would be necessary as I would be shooting it both unsuppressed and suppressed. It appears AR10s are much less forgiving than AR15s are when it comes to gas setup, especially with a suppressor. India adopted it and ordered a ton a few years ago...and just recently cancelled the contract because "Reasons". Now, if those reasons are India being India (who will attempt to copy it and introduce their own vastly inferior version, but be proud about it) or Sig being Sig (maybe sending broken crap that didn't meet the TDP, or substituting stuff from one product line for another)...who knows. If I were never going to shoot this with a can on it, it would honestly probably already be in my safe; everything else about it screams "this is a good buy for what you're getting". Accuracy is ok, reliability is good (unsuppressed), for the moment Sig is supporting it. Now, 5 years from now Sig might drop it, too...and now that India has cancelled their contract, it seems more likely that this will follow the Sig 55x series of guns into the sunset. But, that's just my thoughts on it, I could be wrong.

I found articles from the beginning of May of last year announcing the 716i contract was to be cancelled.

And articles from the middle/end of May of last year saying the 716i contract was going to get a, "repeat order," from the Indian government. A further article from September of last year appears to support the latter May article saying the Indian government bought more 716is.

So what I guess I'm saying is that I'm having difficulty finding anything firm saying one way or the other. Do you have a source that can definitively say?

Evil_Ed
02-10-2023, 12:56 PM
I found articles from the beginning of May of last year announcing the 716i contract was to be cancelled.

And articles from the middle/end of May of last year saying the 716i contract was going to get a, "repeat order," from the Indian government. A further article from September of last year appears to support the latter May article saying the Indian government bought more 716is.

So what I guess I'm saying is that I'm having difficulty finding anything firm saying one way or the other. Do you have a source that can definitively say?

There's a big thread on arfcom (https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/The-SIG-716I-TREAD-The-best-AR-308-AR-10-type-rifle-for-the-money-/45-521591/?page=18#i5810629) (link goes to a post from someone who works at Sig) about the 716...be warned that the thread creator is a huge huge huge huge (huge, and more huge) fan of the 716 so take what they say / opine on with a grain of salt...but, from what I read from that thread, some of the linked threads in it, as well as similar threads on Sniper's Hide, the cancellation is a recent (within 6-8 months) thing. There's a link in there to an India-specific defense forum with some other information, as well as some stuff buried in a Sniper's Hide thread that I don't have at my fingertips :(

Now, maybe this changes again? Maybe Sig says the right magic words to the right Indian defense minister, followed by a pallet of portraits of Benjamin Franklin and then suddenly the contract gets renewed? I have no idea. Literally my only dislike about the Sig was the non-adjustable gas block; the proprietary everything-else-parts doesn't scare me away, the fact that it's a Sig and they might drop support for it tomorrow doesn't scare me away so much...but needing to swap out that gas block - it sounds dumb, I know, but that's my "nope, not gonna bother" line in the sand.