PDA

View Full Version : Gen3 Glock 35 FTF issues

eric0311
02-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Hello all, I've been experiencing an issue with my personal duty pistol (Gen3 G35). The pistol will fail to feed our department issued training ammunition (WWB 180grn FMJ). The malfunction occurs as a round is stripped from the magazine and begins to feed into the chamber... The round chambers approximately 2/3 where it makes contact with the top of the chamber and abruptly stops. You can see the exposed casing through the top of the ejection port... A sharp smack on the base plate of the magazine will assist the round to fully chamber. I've been religious in changing recoil springs every 3000 rds, this current spring has 1500 rds on it... Original extractor is in place... The pistol wears a Surefire 300x... Again zero problems with our duty ammo, Win. Ranger SXT 40 180grn. The simple solution is not to shoot the wwb, that's not going to happen as we have billions of the stuff in inventory... And solutions? I was going to try lighter or heavier weight recoil spring as an experiment... Oh, magazines are brand new with #8 followers.

John Ralston
02-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Have you checked the mag catch button? I seem to remember someone having an issue where the area of the mag catch that holds the magazine wore down to the point that the mag wasn't being held all the way up. If smacking the bottom of the mag is helping, maybe the mag isn't where it should be. It would also be a good time to replace the mag release spring if you haven't done so (before it breaks off in the mag housing).

I was going to suggest the mag spring, but since the mags are new I doubt that is an issue.

eric0311
02-03-2012, 07:43 PM
I'll give the magazine catch a try, thank you for the suggestion!

matman
02-04-2012, 12:14 PM
This sounds like the issues that Glocks had with weak magazine springs. I would see if you can order the stiffer magazine springs. I recall an issue with the magazine springs not working well with Tac lights installed. Not an issue with more powerful liars just light loads. Something about the Tac lights mounted on certain frames caused a weird effect and some malfunctions.

5pins
02-10-2012, 01:18 PM
This subject was touched on in the armorer class I took last week. One of the corrections was using an 11 coil mag spring instead of the 10 coil.

eric0311
02-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Ok gents, I replaced the recoil spring, magazine catch as well as (3) new 11 coil springs in the training mags. I fired 500 rounds of the problematic Winchester 180 grn FMJ ammo today with ZERO problems. All ammunition was from the same lot, which was producing FTF's originally in my 35. So far, so good! Thank you guys for your recommendations. As a note, the old magazine catch was significantly worn down... I ll try and post pics of it.