PDA

View Full Version : Going to confuse the NM CCW-Unit with my new permit endorsement

JodyH
02-02-2012, 07:44 PM
NM CCW statute defines a handgun as "blah... blah... blah... barrel shorter than 12"".
Guess what new toy I have meets that definition.
Serbu Super-Shorty.
I plan on submitting a caliber endorsement addition of .729" (12 ga.), category of "pump". They currently only list semi-auto, revolver and derringer as categories.
Should be interesting to see what the CCW-Unit does with my endorsement request.
I'm expecting a phone call to ask exactly WTF kind of gun I'm going to carry.
The Serbu meets the statute definition of a "handgun", but doesn't fit in any of their convenient pigeon holes.
Good thing I have a good relationship with the CCW-Unit (I've been a CCW instructor since the start, #25 to be exact) , should be fun to throw this at them.
I may be the only NM permit holder with a "12 ga. pump" endorsement on their carry permit.
:cool:

RoyGBiv
02-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Good luck with the State.
The bigger challenge will be to find a good AIWB rig for that thing. :D

JodyH
02-02-2012, 08:32 PM
AIWB = "As a matter of fact I am happy to see you..."

Actually, I want the endorsement so I can put the loaded Serbu in a backpack if I feel like it.

LHS
02-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Out of curiosity, if you have to have caliber-specific endorsements on your license in NM, how does reciprocity with other states work? My AZ permit has reciprocity, but I can carry pretty much whatever I choose (and it's not limited to just a 'handgun') without any caliber or action type endorsements here. How does that translate to NM if I visit there?

On a related note, a friend of mine noted for more enthusiasm and curiosity than common sense, also lives in a state that mandates 'pistol or revolver' for CCW carry. As a lark, he built a Krink pistol (8" 7.62x39mm AK pistol), mounted a red dot, sling and 75-rd drum, and kept it behind the seat of his truck as his 'truck pistol'. Technically, it was a legal pistol for purposes of the state's CCW laws. Realistically, it was pretty well retarded.

JodyH
02-02-2012, 10:11 PM
It's really a non-issue.
A NM resident can carry any caliber they want on a FL non-res permit, but if you get a NM permit you have to qualify with the largest caliber you want to carry and then you're good for everything below that.
If I was carrying a handgun above my permit endorsement I'd just hand the officer my FL permit.
That could make for an interesting bit of case law.

Just carry whatever your AZ permit allows, within the overall guidelines of NM law.
<12" barrel, can only carry one concealed handgun at a time.

Looks like I will be able to carry anything except a 10ga. with my NM permit.
Hmmmm the 10ga. "Mares Leg" lever action from the Terminator movie cut down to a 10" barrel... might have to look into getting myself one of those.

JFK
02-02-2012, 10:18 PM
It's really a non-issue.
A NM resident can carry any caliber they want on a FL non-res permit, but if you get a NM permit you have to qualify with the largest caliber you want to carry and then you're good for everything below that.
If I was carrying a handgun above my permit endorsement I'd just hand the officer my FL permit.
That could make for an interesting bit of case law.

Just carry whatever your AZ permit allows, within the overall guidelines of NM law.
<12" barrel, can only carry one concealed handgun at a time.

Looks like I will be able to carry anything except a 10ga. with my NM permit.
Hmmmm the 10ga. "Mares Leg" lever action from the Terminator movie cut down to a 10" barrel... might have to look into getting myself one of those.

The funny thing about "largest caliber" is it is not by FPS, or Energy. It is literally by largest caliber. If you qualify with a .38 Revolver you can carry a .357, but if you qualify with a .357 you can not carry a .38.

I love when people who have no idea what they are legislating make laws.

JDM
02-02-2012, 10:51 PM
AZ lifetime permit FTW.

LHS
02-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Only one gun at a time, eh? Also good to know, as I tend to carry a BUG as well as a primary.

So the Serbu, with its vertical foregrip and AOW status, counts as a pistol under NM law?

TGS
02-03-2012, 12:05 AM
The funny thing about "largest caliber" is it is not by FPS, or Energy. It is literally by largest caliber. If you qualify with a .38 Revolver you can carry a .357, but if you qualify with a .357 you can not carry a .38.

I love when people who have no idea what they are legislating make laws.

What's even more stupid about that, is that .38 Special and .357 are the same caliber......

I guess if Jody qualifies with his Serbu Shorty, he'll then be able to carry anything he wants!

jmjames
02-03-2012, 12:23 AM
This makes me want to do a short barreled Saiga 410 with the 30 round drum, paint it up all Punisher style, and tell people that it's the "Ultimate Judge" model by Taurus that I've been given for testing. :D

J.Ja

JodyH
02-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Only one gun at a time, eh? Also good to know, as I tend to carry a BUG as well as a primary.

So the Serbu, with its vertical foregrip and AOW status, counts as a pistol under NM law?
Illegal concealed carry is a petty misdemeanor. Usually an add on charge, rarely the only charge. I've never seen a conviction result in anything more than a small fine or deferred adjudication. Carrying a BUG would be a petty misdemeanor if both were concealed.

The Serbu counts as a pistol under the concealed carry statute, and that's what matters.
My 10" AR is defined as a pistol as well.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

JFK
02-03-2012, 09:48 AM

The law technically says concealed weapon. So if you were to get an over zealous DA you could get nipped for having a concealed knife along with your pistol.

JDM
02-03-2012, 10:02 AM
The NM CCW statutes need some reform.