PDA

View Full Version : The Cape Town South Africa water crisis

LittleLebowski
02-20-2018, 08:11 AM
Very interesting, they seem to be in a bad spot.

Wikipedia article, good background info (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Town_water_crisis)

Atlantic article on the politics behind this (allegedly) (https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/02/cape-town-water-crisis/553076/)

BigT

Doc_Glock
02-20-2018, 08:24 AM
Whoa! Very interesting.

TiroFijo
02-20-2018, 08:32 AM
Shame... Cape Town is (or at least used to be) a great place.

The ANC will continue to do its best to missmanage and plunder good 'ol SA, for maaany years to come, with the complicity and blessing of the entire world.

Totem Polar
02-20-2018, 08:33 AM
That is interesting. Resource skirmishes in 3, 2, 1...

BigT
02-20-2018, 09:15 AM
Shame... Cape Town is (or at least used to be) a great place.

The ANC will continue to do its best to missmanage and plunder good 'ol SA, for maaany years to come, with the complicity and blessing of the entire world.

Unfortunately the DA have done a pretty shitty job with a lot of what they should be doing.

The new president has said he will make this a matter of national emergency, but it is pretty late.

I was there last week and its not downtown Mogadishu just yet, but this is a serious concern.

Cape Town remains somewhere you need to visit in your life time though.

11B10
02-20-2018, 09:24 AM
LL, thanks for enlightening me to a problem that profoundly illustrates how narrow my reading (and I'm sure - some others) has become. I'm wondering why a potential catastrophe like this hasn't attracted the "elite."

BigT
02-20-2018, 09:35 AM
I think because at this stage it is still a potential catastrophe not an actual one.

If someone from the first world visits Cape Town they will not really experience too much of it at this stage.

TGS
02-20-2018, 10:05 AM
I think because at this stage it is still a potential catastrophe not an actual one.

If someone from the first world visits Cape Town they will not really experience too much of it at this stage.

Is it affecting any of your life decisions or future planning? Granted, you live in Johannesburg, figured I'd ask though.

TiroFijo
02-20-2018, 10:21 AM
Unfortunately the DA have done a pretty shitty job with a lot of what they should be doing.

The new president has said he will make this a matter of national emergency, but it is pretty late.

I was there last week and its not downtown Mogadishu just yet, but this is a serious concern.

Cape Town remains somewhere you need to visit in your life time though.

BigT, what is your opinion of Ramaphosa? I don't have high hopes...

I studied in Pretoria U in 1991-92, in the water institute. SA has a wealth of knowledge and experience regarding water treatment and management, it is surprising they let something like this happening, and in an emblematic city like Cape Town nonetheless.

BigT
02-20-2018, 10:23 AM
Is it affecting any of your life decisions or future planning? Granted, you live in Johannesburg, figured I'd ask though.

Honestly I am a lot more worried about the EFF ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_Freedom_Fighters) than this.

Crime and political uncertainty are , for me, closer concerns than Cape Towns water crisis. Though I accept that the same or similar could happen to us up here.

Future planning is interesting here. Lots of guys who can, choose to emigrate. But that comes with its own challenges obviously, and (you may find this surprising) with its own losses in life style.

BigT
02-20-2018, 10:27 AM
BigT, what is your opinion of Ramaphosa? I don't have high hopes...

I studied in Pretoria U in 1991-92, in the water institute. SA has a wealth of knowledge and experience regarding water treatment and management, it is surprising they let something like this happening, and in an emblematic city like Cape Town nonetheless.

I'm cautiously optimistic about him. Without the much of the rest of the ANC's management I would be even more optimistic. He is a massive upgrade on Zuma. He's a a very intelligent, switched on man. The problem here is that what you need to get elected is not necessarily what is best for the future of the country, and walking that tight rope is a challenge any party needs to face.

How this water crisis was allowed to occur is a helleva question. Sadly I think a large degree of it is ANC, DA political fighting getting in the way of sorting the real issues.

TGS
02-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Lots of guys who can, choose to emigrate. But that comes with its own challenges obviously, and (you may find this surprising) with its own losses in life style.

For real! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJESLxEd0Tk) Some guys just want to see Montana.

I don't mean to belittle the troubles encountered by South African's emigrating, I just thought of this and couldn't stop laughing.

LittleLebowski
02-20-2018, 01:24 PM
Honestly I am a lot more worried about the EFF ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_Freedom_Fighters) than this.

I can see why:

Malema stated at a political rally in 2016 that “We [the EFF] are not calling for the slaughter of white people‚ at least for now".

Drang
02-20-2018, 02:25 PM
Lots of guys who can, choose to emigrate.
This may help explain why so many of the folks working cruise liners are from SA. Do it long enough, you have few ties back home, then get based in the US, Canada, Australia...

luckyman
02-20-2018, 02:48 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic about him. Without the much of the rest of the ANC's management I would be even more optimistic. He is a massive upgrade on Zuma.
Well that's about as low of a bar as I could possibly imagine :) I was shocked when I visited last year how completely universal the unhappiness with Zuma was. I had figure *somebody* must still like him....but I never met any of those people if they existed by then.

... The problem here is that what you need to get elected is not necessarily what is best for the future of the country, and walking that tight rope is a challenge any party needs to face.

How this water crisis was allowed to occur is a helleva question. Sadly I think a large degree of it is ANC, DA political fighting getting in the way of sorting the real issues.

Hah, welcome to modern politics.

PS and wow was CapeTown wonderful, along with a great deal of the rest of South Africa.