PDA

View Full Version : Current state of suppressors - AR specific

rob_s
02-19-2018, 02:42 PM
Since I know a lot of people get wrapped up in semantics, let me first say...

When I say "AR specific" I don't mean that only are to be used on an AR, but more that they are often used on ARs, or if a multi-purpose can one of the uses may be to install on an AR. Caliber is irrelevant in this case except to eliminate rimfire or pistol cans pressed into 300 BLK subsonic-only use, etc. We are talking here about centerfire rifle cans that might see use on a (typically, anyway) 5.56, 7.62, or 300 BLK AR15 pattern rifle.

The Silencerco "rumor" thread, along with all of the "I knew that was going to happen" replies, along with some folks opining as to what other folks should buy and other folks feeling the need to defend their purchase, has me wondering what the group's thoughts are on the current state of AR suppressors. There appear to be a whole bunch of new brands out there that I'm not familiar with, although several of them seem to involve people who may have had runs at other manufacturers previously.

So what's happening out there in the world of the AR suppressor? What's the new hotness? What's the old standby? What's the cutting edge? What's the bleeding edge? What's failing or proving to not be all it was hoped to be?

Clusterfrack
02-19-2018, 02:54 PM
My SilencerCo Omega is proving to not be all it was hoped to be. It's a very flexible system (7.62 and 5.56mm), but the mount module comes loose from the can. The mount itself is ok, but easy to attach while not fully tight. I'm much happier with my SureFire and Thunderbeast cans. Far higher quality--but also higher cost.

GuanoLoco
02-19-2018, 04:44 PM
https://www.silencershop.com/liberty-mystic-x.html

rob_s
02-19-2018, 05:02 PM
Here's been my criteria for an AR can for awhile now. I'm not aware of anything to have changed my thoughts on this, but I've also not been tracking the market. I'm betting you can beat the weight by a lot these days.

<7"
<16 oz
1.5" OD
5/8x24 brake and hider mounts
1/2x28 brake and hider mounts
company in business >5 years

jandbj
02-19-2018, 05:51 PM
https://ruggedsuppressors.com/product/micro-30/

LittleLebowski
02-19-2018, 08:40 PM
Hansohn Brothers

LittleLebowski
02-19-2018, 09:15 PM
Here's been my criteria for an AR can for awhile now. I'm not aware of anything to have changed my thoughts on this, but I've also not been tracking the market. I'm betting you can beat the weight by a lot these days.

<7"
<16 oz
1.5" OD

https://www.silencershop.com/silencers/7-62mm-rifle/sig-sauer-srd762-qd.html?

Crews
02-20-2018, 12:19 AM
I am not too current on all the cool new cans with all the modularity and stuff. But I have a Thunderbeast Ultra 5, and it is amazing. It weighs in the single digit ounces, makes my rifles quiet, and is extremely repeatable. I know that they’re more associated with the precision rifle crowd, and I certainly use mine as such. But I have used it on a number of 6.8 and 300blk SBR’s, and cannot figure out how there could be much out there that offers more. I guess maybe if you shoot really high volume for a really long time you might need a full auto rated can. Prepare for a lot more weight if that’s what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle Reese
02-20-2018, 07:34 AM
Anyone have a Larue Tranquilo?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

joshs
02-20-2018, 07:54 AM
I'm never really wanted a 5.56 quick attach can, but the YHM Turbo is very tempting, especially for the price that Hansohn Brothers is currently selling them. https://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=581

It checks a lot of boxes: durable materials/construction, good sound reduction for its size/weight, and a threaded taper mount attachment system that uses coarse threads and a taper for alignment and to seal the threads from fouling.

orionz06
02-20-2018, 07:54 AM
Why wouldn't one just buy Surefire or Gemtech?

rob_s
02-20-2018, 08:14 AM

That is pretty much what I would default to. But I'm curious to know what/who else is out there "innovating", if anyone.

LittleLebowski
02-20-2018, 09:01 AM
Honestly, I forget about YHM/Gemtech/Surefire. Based upon what Hansohn Brothers is saying about the new YHMs, I'd look at the YHM Nitro (https://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_69&product_id=582) or YHM Resonator (https://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_69&product_id=584). I'm also extremely happy with my Sig SRD556Ti, hence my recommendation to look at the Sig SRD762.

Mike C
02-20-2018, 09:22 AM
My SilencerCo Omega is proving to not be all it was hoped to be. It's a very flexible system (7.62 and 5.56mm), but the mount module comes loose from the can. The mount itself is ok, but easy to attach while not fully tight. I'm much happier with my SureFire and Thunderbeast cans. Far higher quality--but also higher cost.

I know this might seem like throwing good money after bad but have you tried the Key-mo mount? https://deadairsilencers.com/product/key-mo/
No argument that the mounting on the Omega's suck but the suppression from the can is superb compared to anything else I've shot or heard, definitely quieter that SF though their quality/durability are in a class all it's own.

Hansohn Brothers
02-20-2018, 09:31 AM

<7"
<16 oz
1.5" OD

That's a good list to go by. I would add good customer service record. Two newer brands I like are Dead Air and Rugged, their models and customer support are excellent.

rob_s
02-20-2018, 09:53 AM
That's a good list to go by. I would add good customer service record. Two newer brands I like are Dead Air and Rugged, their models and customer support are excellent.

What about Thumberbeast? Their Ultra 7 (https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/ultra-7) seems to tick all of the above boxes and then some, with the exception of the 5 years in business I assume.

Clusterfrack
02-20-2018, 10:32 AM
What about Thumberbeast? Their Ultra 7 (https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/ultra-7) seems to tick all of the above boxes and then some, with the exception of the 5 years in business I assume.

Best suppressor I have ever used.

Hansohn Brothers
02-20-2018, 11:06 AM
What about Thumberbeast? Their Ultra 7 (https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/ultra-7) seems to tick all of the above boxes and then some, with the exception of the 5 years in business I assume.Thunder Beast has been in business since 2007. They make fantastic products and stand behind them 100%. One of my 2 personal silencers is a Thunder Beast FWIW.

orionz06
02-20-2018, 11:13 AM
Seems that conservative is the way to go in the can bidness. Thunderbeast seems to fit the bill.

SilencerCo was close to the same, perhaps a little more savvy on social media. I think the HPA thing did them in. That's at least what the scuttlebutt was when their downfall was predicted a year or more ago.

Clusterfrack
02-20-2018, 11:17 AM
I know this might seem like throwing good money after bad but have you tried the Key-mo mount? https://deadairsilencers.com/product/key-mo/
No argument that the mounting on the Omega's suck but the suppression from the can is superb compared to anything else I've shot or heard, definitely quieter that SF though their quality/durability are in a class all it's own.

Thanks. Good to know that this is available. I assume their flash hider works with this as well? I don't want a brake on this 11.5" upper.

My Omega is pretty much a one-gun can, and I'm trying loktite on the mount module.

Hansohn Brothers
02-20-2018, 11:22 AM
Thanks. Good to know that this is available. I assume their flash hider works with this as well? I don't want a brake on this 11.5" upper.

My Omega is pretty much a one-gun can, and I'm trying loktite on the mount module.
Yes, Dead Air flash hiders work with the Key-Mo.

Kyle Reese
02-20-2018, 11:23 AM
This thread is going to cost me money.

Mike C
02-20-2018, 12:04 PM

Ha Hansohn Borther's beat me to it.

My Omega's permanently live on my 9" 300 BLK's on a direct thread so I haven't had issues other that trying to get the freaking end caps off. If your using the Omega on just one gun have you tried just using the direct thread adapter? I prefer it to the QD along with the flat end cap.

Robinson
02-20-2018, 02:58 PM

My Omega's permanently live on my 9" 300 BLK's on a direct thread so I haven't had issues other that trying to get the freaking end caps off. If your using the Omega on just one gun have you tried just using the direct thread adapter? I prefer it to the QD along with the flat end cap.

Have you had any issues with the suppressor coming loose during a firing session? I've been using the ASR mount on a single rifle but always wondered how solid the direct-thread attachment is.

Mike C
02-20-2018, 03:07 PM
Have you had any issues with the suppressor coming loose during a firing session? I've been using the ASR mount on a single rifle but always wondered how solid the direct-thread attachment is.

I've had zero issues with the suppressor coming loose with direct thread. I typically run 2-350 rounds per session. I check tension part way through and at the end and never felt as if it was loosening.

Clusterfrack
02-20-2018, 03:24 PM

That’s not an option for my use. I need the rifle to work without the can, so a flash hider is necessary.

nate89
02-20-2018, 03:50 PM
I have a Dead Air Sandman-s and k. I have been happy with the performance, attachment system, etc. I also have an older Saker 556 that I installed the Key-mo on and that eliminated really the only thing I didn't like about it (the mount). If I didn't go with Dead Air, I would have gone Surefire. A friend of mine has most of their cans (556, 556 mini, 300sps) and I have tried all of them out and was impressed.

DocGKR
02-20-2018, 03:58 PM
Flow-through suppressors have significant advantages for high round count training...

joshs
02-20-2018, 09:30 PM

No reason in particular, but for QD rifle cans, I prefer threaded taper mounts. It's the type of mounting system I've had the least problems with the can getting stuck on the mount or alignment problems causing baffle/endcap strikes or POI shift. That said, Surefire and Gemtech both have very easy to attach mounting systems. I do really like the Gemtech Patrolman direct thread can. We use one at work on a gun we use to do suppressor demos because it adds very little weight to the rifle. For non-shooters, a one pound+ suppressor and mount combo can make a rifle uncomfortably front heavy.

joshs
02-20-2018, 09:35 PM
Flow-through suppressors have significant advantages for high round count training...

Reduced lead/other bad stuff exposure? I've always wondered how much additional lead exposure I get when shooting a ton of rounds suppressed in semi-autos.

LittleLebowski
02-20-2018, 10:44 PM
No reason in particular, but for QD rifle cans, I prefer threaded taper mounts. It's the type of mounting system I've had the least problems with the can getting stuck on the mount or alignment problems causing baffle/endcap strikes or POI shift. That said, Surefire and Gemtech both have very easy to attach mounting systems. I do really like the Gemtech Patrolman direct thread can. We use one at work on a gun we use to do suppressor demos because it adds very little weight to the rifle. For non-shooters, a one pound+ suppressor and mount combo can make a rifle uncomfortably front heavy.

You gotta check out my Sig SRD556 Ti. I’m a believer in taper mounts after using it. Quiet and light too.

LittleLebowski
02-20-2018, 10:50 PM
I know that Hansohn Brothers is a site sponsor and therefore my worthless endorsement of them makes me a terrible, lying schill, but seriously gents, do yourselves a favor and contact them before making a suppressor purchase. You will get sound advice and very probably be pleasantly suprised on their PF pricing, not to mention their Form 3 transfer time to your dealer. Forum member JLBourne (https://www.amazon.com/Tomorrow-War-Serpent-Novel-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B01MG7NX58/ref=sr_1_1_twi_kin_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519184897&sr=8-1&keywords=jl+bourne) gave them a shot and got a suppressor no one in his state had, at a price no one else could beat, and quickly, too. I feel like it’s OK to schill if they are really that good :D

CCT125US
02-21-2018, 12:33 AM
Reduced lead/other bad stuff exposure? I've always wondered how much additional lead exposure I get when shooting a ton of rounds suppressed in semi-autos.

Wondered that myself. For example AE9FP vs. Speer Lawman 147 which is plated. Or even the time input for my Berry's plated 147 load vs the lead exposure. I wonder what the difference is between an OTM and your bulk exposed lead base actually is.

rob_s
02-21-2018, 08:30 AM

Doesn't that pretty much just mean OSS? Is anyone else doing "flow through"?

ChrisG19
02-21-2018, 08:43 AM
Doesn't that pretty much just mean OSS? Is anyone else doing "flow through"?

NexGen2 Defense also uses similar tech.

littlejerry
02-21-2018, 09:32 AM
You gotta check out my Sig SRD556 Ti. I’m a believer in taper mounts after using it. Quiet and light too.

May need to start a different thread, but this can caught my eye. The non TI version is reasonably priced. And Sign is probably staying in business.

rob_s
02-21-2018, 10:13 AM
May need to start a different thread, but this can caught my eye. The non TI version is reasonably priced. And Sign is probably staying in business.

I think it's fine for this thread. Just because a can is 5.56 only doesn't mean it's not worth discussing.

LittleLebowski
02-21-2018, 11:21 AM
I think it's fine for this thread. Just because a can is 5.56 only doesn't mean it's not worth discussing.

Ahem: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?29926-Current-state-of-suppressors-AR-specific&p=711263&viewfull=1#post711263

LittleLebowski
02-21-2018, 11:22 AM

I need to get out and train with mine this year.

Kyle Reese
02-21-2018, 12:20 PM
I need to get out and train with mine this year.Once the weather warms up lets do just that. My Sandman K should be out of NFA jail by late spring.

Gadfly
02-21-2018, 12:22 PM
Wanted just one can to start with, as an all around do everything can. for use on a .308 bolt gun for hunting, and multiple ARs for work and fun. Ended up with an AAC 762 SDN. I figured with all their DOD contracts and such, they would be around a while. And within 2 months of buying my can, Freedom Group sweeps in and sucks the life an innovation away from AAC...

But now, I have 6 51T mounts, and loath the ideal of having to go to a different system. I would love smaller and lighter. Just don't want to have to start having a huge mix of mounts. Was very interested in an Omega, my son in law bought two recently. I figured I could get it with the 51T adaptor... but as others have mentioned, the modules seem to want to come loose. That YHM Turbo for 361 looks great, but I have yet to pick up any YHM product and not think "meh". Perhaps their suppressors are better than their rails and such.

Anyway, following this thread for ideals and inspiration. Glad to have access to the folks populating the forum.

LittleLebowski
02-21-2018, 01:11 PM
Once the weather warms up lets do just that. My Sandman K should be out of NFA jail by late spring.

Sounds good, GreenOps?

rob_s
02-21-2018, 01:43 PM
Ahem: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?29926-Current-state-of-suppressors-AR-specific&p=711263&viewfull=1#post711263

They were talking about the 5.56 version of the can, you previously linked to the 7.62 version. no?

I don't want to split hairs about it. My point was that I didn't want anyone to think they couldn't post about a can in this thread because the specific one they were discussing was 5.56 only.

LittleLebowski
02-21-2018, 02:10 PM
They were talking about the 5.56 version of the can, you previously linked to the 7.62 version. no?

I don't want to split hairs about it. My point was that I didn't want anyone to think they couldn't post about a can in this thread because the specific one they were discussing was 5.56 only.

Yes, was linking to the 7.62 version. Understood on opening up the conversation.

I think the Sig cans are a good value, but the new YHMs look to be way cheaper and are a new design (for YHM).

Hansohn Brothers
02-21-2018, 02:53 PM
Yes, was linking to the 7.62 version. Understood on opening up the conversation.

I think the Sig cans are a good value, but the new YHMs look to be way cheaper and are a new design (for YHM).

I just got a demo model of YHM Turbo, range day? punkey71

Kyle Reese
02-21-2018, 02:56 PM
Sounds good, GreenOps?

Let’s do it. On a kinda related note, Hansohn’s price on the YHM Turbo 556 is excellent, and VERY hard to pass up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

littlejerry
02-21-2018, 06:38 PM
So does anyone have impressions to share? I've been looking at YHM, Sig, the Sandman K, and Q Trash panda. The categories are short stainless/inconel or longer titanium.

LittleLebowski
02-22-2018, 07:40 AM
I just got a demo model of YHM Turbo, range day? punkey71

I am open again nowadays :cool:

LittleLebowski
02-22-2018, 07:41 AM
So does anyone have impressions to share? I've been looking at YHM, Sig, the Sandman K, and Q Trash panda. The categories are short stainless/inconel or longer titanium.

I have the Sig, what do you want to know? it's light, quiet, and the mount is amazing. I suspect that the new YHM cans (example (https://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_69&product_id=584)) are cheaper and more easily had.