PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: SilencerCo going out of business

LittleLebowski
02-18-2018, 07:50 PM
They are going out of business. The creditors just removed the top 3 executives, 2 being the largest single share holders. Josh Waldron's brother is on the board and voted to remove him. They began liquidating equipment over a mont ago. If anything survives, it will look like AAC/Remington and Gemtech/ S&W. $40mil in debt, and the sales and technology are trash.

Kyle Reese
02-18-2018, 07:53 PM
I've got a Saker 556 ASR in NFA jail as we speak. This news is disconcerting.......

SeriousStudent
02-18-2018, 08:32 PM
I really hope not, I own five of their cans, with two more in jail.

Sigh.

GJM
02-18-2018, 08:33 PM
It appears Kevin may enjoy bad news with SilencerCo more than many of us with their products.

CCT125US
02-18-2018, 10:36 PM
Tried searching over there, but couldn't find the thread. Anyone have a link?

Mike C
02-18-2018, 11:09 PM
Damn it! Not as invested as SS but I’ve got 4. This is bad news. I hope and pray this is restructuring and downsizing to survive and not the end; but knowing my luck they’re done. Go freaking figure.

Mr. Goodtimes
02-18-2018, 11:58 PM
I have a feeling they blew a massive load of cash trying to push HPA through and when that failed they were left up the creek without a paddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sigfan26
02-19-2018, 01:21 AM
Honestly, I’m not surprised. They have been dropping way too much money into shit that doesn’t make money (like their MP5SD Suppressor). Along with that, we have the sub standard mounts the majority of Sakers were originally shipped with (I have fished multiple Sakers out of bullet traps), the Maxim9, and the fact that I have seen more cam locks come loose on Osprey suppressors than I can count. The best products they have made were SWR designs and traditional direct thread.

Westtexasrancher
02-19-2018, 05:15 AM
Dangett. I thought buying a sico would be a safer bet for a lifetime of service.

orionz06
02-19-2018, 07:19 AM
The writing has been on the wall and then some pretty much all year.

Mike C
02-19-2018, 07:38 AM
I obviously need to pay more attention.

Kyle Reese
02-19-2018, 07:47 AM
Dangett. I thought buying a sico would be a safer bet for a lifetime of service.Same here. Guess I need to work some OT and get a Q Thunder Chicken now.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Robinson
02-19-2018, 08:29 AM
Crap! When I bought my Omega it sure seemed the company was strong and I felt pretty secure about it.

CCT125US
02-19-2018, 09:10 AM
My understanding is that manufacturers can service the product of others. At a cost, but still servicable.

joshs
02-19-2018, 09:30 AM
It doesn't look like Kevin has any inside info. He is just stating that Josh, Jonathan, and Jason all stepped down last year, which is publicly available info. Obviously, Kevin would potentially benefit if people decided not buy Silencerco cans, so, as always, I would consider the source when evaluating this rumor.

nate89
02-19-2018, 12:29 PM
I have a saker 556 (the original with the MADD mount) that I quickly put a KEY-MO on, and an omega 9k. Honestly I would not be surprised to see this happen. I have seen multiple failures with both the MADD and ASR mounts, and I don't think either system is up to the quality that I would want. I'm happy with the 9k on my 9mm AR and 300 BLK gun as a direct thread can, and with the Dead Air mounts the Saker really is a pretty great can for a 5.56 rifle. Whatever ends up happening it will be interesting to watch from the sidelines.

rob_s
02-19-2018, 12:35 PM
Is Kevin now involved in a new suppressor company? He has no involvement in AAC now, right?

DocGKR
02-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Simple rule: Only acquire suppressors which have a proven record of reliable service in demanding military use.

EricP
02-19-2018, 01:40 PM
Is Kevin now involved in a new suppressor company? He has no involvement in AAC now, right?

Q out of Portsmouth, NH.
http://liveqordie.com

joshs
02-19-2018, 02:10 PM
Simple rule: Only acquire suppressors which have a proven record of reliable service in demanding military use.

The military wants quick attach cans that can withstand a very demanding firing schedule. For most of the things I want a suppressor for, I want a lightweight direct thread can. These types of cans will never get selected for military procurement.

rob_s
02-19-2018, 02:35 PM
The military wants quick attach cans that can withstand a very demanding firing schedule. For most of the things I want a suppressor for, I want a lightweight direct thread can. These types of cans will never get selected for military procurement.

I would say that second-best would be to at least pick a company that has a track record of military sales.

Or, just find the can you like, buy it because you like it, and don't worry about what someone on the internet thinks of your choice.

DocGKR
02-19-2018, 10:06 PM
"I would say that second-best would be to at least pick a company that has a track record of military sales."

Yup...that is true.

LittleLebowski
02-20-2018, 06:36 AM
It doesn't look like Kevin has any inside info. He is just stating that Josh, Jonathan, and Jason all stepped down last year, which is publicly available info. Obviously, Kevin would potentially benefit if people decided not buy Silencerco cans, so, as always, I would consider the source when evaluating this rumor.

You've personally discussed Silencerco's financial info with bankers? I'm interested in how this came to pass?

Yes, that's a small world. Remington, Silencerco, and Acusport.

joshs
02-20-2018, 07:45 AM
I'm highly skeptical of the "bankers" claim. Do you think a professional investor/creditor would discuss confidential client info with a third party and risk breach of contract and/or inability to continue working in their field?

LittleLebowski
02-20-2018, 07:57 AM
I'm highly skeptical of the "bankers" claim. Do you think a professional investor/creditor would discuss confidential client info with a third party and risk breach of contract and/or inability to continue working in their field?

I don't know, I doubt it. I think that the truth is somewhere in between; I don't think that Kevin is mounting a fact-less campaign purely to harm a competitor, but I also agree with you on the bankers bit.

StraitR
02-28-2018, 11:05 AM
Just noticed that SilencerCo is now back on Silencer Shop, after parting ways over two years ago. Rekindling a relationship with the most prolific silencer dealer, who would likely not bother if they thought the SiCo ship had sailed, is good news for current SiCo owners.

While I appreciate their gusto and moxie, as well as their efforts on the HPA, it seems SiCo may have tried to reach for one star too many. I'm hoping they find a way to restructure their business model, adapt to current market demands, and survive as the innovators they started out to be.

Unobtanium
03-01-2018, 06:40 AM
I wondered how long it would take to go public.

ccmdfd
05-19-2018, 05:39 PM
So which companies supply suppressors to the US Gov?

My first can was an SWR. They folded. Second was an AAC, and while they are still around, the model I got has been discontinued.

Getting spare parts, adapters, etc is pita at best, and often impossible.

Wouldn't you know, I just placed a silencerco Omega9k in jail.

Thanks

LittleLebowski
05-19-2018, 06:15 PM

My first can was an SWR. They folded. Second was an AAC, and while they are still around, the model I got has been discontinued.

Thanks

Surefire, AAC, OSS, and KAC (Knights Armament) supply suppressors to the government.

Sigfan26
05-19-2018, 06:28 PM

Thanks

The Omega9K is an awesome suppressor. With rifle cans, the .gov types use them a fair amount, so looking to .gov adoption makes sense. I don’t worry as much with pistol cans (they are, for the most part, novelties and specialty items).

HCM
05-19-2018, 10:26 PM

Thanks

Silencerco bought / merged with SWR.

The AAC that is still around is owned by The Freedom Group which owns Remington, Marlin etc. when Remington TFG got rid of Kevin Brittingham innovation at AAC essentially came to a halt.

Silencerco has become prolific enough some other makers have adaptors for Silencerco similar to AAC.

HCM
05-19-2018, 10:27 PM
Surefire, AAC, OSS, and KAC (Knights Armament) supply suppressors to the government.

Of those, Surefire and KAC are the only ones I would bet on long term.