PDA

View Full Version : Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact- Quality issues resolved?

SafeGunUser
02-14-2018, 10:07 PM
I've been thinking about buying my first Beretta. Recently I read several posts on a forum that complained about poor coatings on the slide and issues with the action. These posts were from `09-`10. Has anyone heard of these issues and has Beretta addressed them?

Are there any other things I should be looking for?

Thanks, in advance, for the feedback. I'm hoping there's a ton of wisdom and experience out there. I work hard for my money and don't like wasting it.

Bigghoss
02-14-2018, 10:16 PM
If you can even find a new subcompact in stock, let me know. They've been vaporware for a while now.

Wonder9
02-14-2018, 11:24 PM
I had an early defective PX4sc where the decocker would not function without pressing on the slide. Beretta replaced it quick, and no issues afterwards.

beenalongtime
02-15-2018, 12:25 AM
The subcompacts are starting to appear in .40, but I have yet to see new stock in 9mm.
The finish is the same as on the other Brunton (spelling?), where people either love or hate it.

PX4 Storm Tracker
02-15-2018, 01:09 PM
We have 7,319 rounds on our PX4 SubCompact 9mm. Performance has been excellent. Very reliable, very soft shooting and similar to advertisements, it does feel and handle like a service pistol, except sight radius.

Problems? Only one. As Wonder9 mentioned, we had a decocker lever that would not drop the hammer. It was not the original lever. We put a modified stock lever set in from another Storm for my wife to try type G. I had also heard of others having trouble with the levers when a loaded magazine was inserted. This led me to conclude the same, that the left shaft was not reaching the hammer drop lever unless the slide was pushed down (a loaded mag will push the slide up).

We replaced the levers with Low Profile levers and never had that problem again. Later, my wife settled on M-92 style levers, converted to type G (to match her Compact). No problem, no issues since.

As beenalongtime noted, the Bruniton is the same on all Storms. Some come out of the process thicker than others, but this does indicate model, just Bruniton processes. However, I have noted that holsters for the SubCompact are rougher on finishes due to holster makers not tailoring to the Sub at first. Perhaps, they did not know if it would stick around. There are more holster options now.

Availability? The SubCompact is the only PX4 manufactured in the U.S.. Supply and demand of free market affect availability, as concealed carry is gaining popularity. I think they will catch up.

Reliability? Excellent, but I would mention that the SubCompact uses the same slide rebound spring for 9 & .40, since it is a progressive spring. So, if you use very light 9s and tend to limp wrist, it could FTF. It doesn't require an excessive grip, just a normal, good one.

We trust our SubCompact enough to use it as a defensive, carry pistol.

SafeGunUser
02-15-2018, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the info and insight. I think I'll take a moderate chance and pick up one soon. I'll let you know how long it takes to find one. FYI: if you ever need a specialty or custom holster, try Winthrop Holsters in Lakewood, Ohio. They will fit anything and have great specialty materials, rattlesnake, alligator, shark. Combination holster/mag holders and much more reasonable than you'd think too.

SafeGunUser
02-15-2018, 09:30 PM
It only took 5 minutes on the first website I tried to find one used @ $440 and one NIB @ $505.

SafeGunUser
02-15-2018, 09:51 PM
After about another 15 minutes I found another F20 and F21. $519ea. Seems they're out there now.