PDA

View Full Version : Beretta BrigTac, CenTac reloads

MGW
02-14-2018, 07:34 PM
From talking to other people and doing some reading I understand that Beretta barrels typically have a large bore. What about the Wilson Berettas?

Wilson states that they have stainless match barrels. Are the bore ID’s any different? What type and diameter of bullets are others running with success in their Wilson Berettas?

I’m trying to work around some leading issues.

LSP552
02-15-2018, 07:47 AM
Interested in this thread. I’m haven’t been reloading since the move to RI, but will be in a new home in April so that will change soon. I haven’t heard about the Beretta bore thing. Perhaps things have changed, but by shopping around I was able in the past to find plated bullets cheap enough to make me swear off lead.

I hate cleaning lead. Looking forward to hearing more. Thanks.

MGW
02-15-2018, 09:42 AM
I probably should have stated that I was using poly coated bullets. No issues with them in the past but the Centurion does not like them at all. I'm trying some .356 Xtremes next but damn, $$$, they are proud of them.

revchuck38
02-15-2018, 09:35 PM
I probably should have stated that I was using poly coated bullets. No issues with them in the past but the Centurion does not like them at all. I'm trying some .356 Xtremes next but damn, $$$, they are proud of them.

Try these guys (http://www.bayoubullets.net/). Excellent quality, good prices, and they'll size them like you want them. FWIW, my Brigadier liked .357".

Sal Picante
02-16-2018, 01:51 AM
BrigTac and CenTac both need .357" bullets if you're using poly/moly coated. They shoot fine with .355-.357" plated bullets, tho. Ditto with jacketed.
But for lead and poly/moly coated, go with .357.

Being a shill for http://http://www.snscasting.com, I love the 147gr .357" bullets over some Win231. Soft, clean, accurate.

If you use the code "HTFU", you get 5% off your first order.

p/Ba2Zupgn3Ti

All the makers; SNS, Bayou, Blue Bullets, Gallant, Acme all have similar products priced about the same that serve the region they're located in, really. Can't go wrong with any of 'em.

LittleLebowski
02-16-2018, 06:33 AM

Did you try different bullet weights? I wouldn't be so quick to write off coated bullets.

Matt O
02-16-2018, 06:47 AM
I can confirm that Les’ 147 gr pepperoni poppers work quite well in the Brig Tac barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MGW
02-16-2018, 07:43 AM
Did you try different bullet weights? I wouldn't be so quick to write off coated bullets.

147 Blue bullets are all I’ve tried so far.

LittleLebowski
02-16-2018, 07:57 AM
147 Blue bullets are all I’ve tried so far.

I'd try some 124s, maybe some 135s, but first, make sure this isn't a bad batch of bullets. Maybe one of us could send you a few of a similar bullet. In my experience, sometimes the coating doesn't work that well on the bullets, hence the leading issues. dsa from Leatherhead Bullets could prolly help you.

Matt O
02-16-2018, 08:57 AM
I would highly recommend the 147 gr .357-sized SNS bullets. If you decide to go with another brand of coated bullet, just make sure to look at their .357-sized offerings. Blue bullets does have some 147 gr .358 bullets that I have used in my Beretta, but they do take some tweaking in terms of belling, seating depth and are more picky about the type of case used since they're well on the outside of normal 9mm specs. I have found the SNS versions to be pretty plug and play and require a lot less effort.

dsa
02-16-2018, 09:14 AM
What Les said. Beretta's like oversized bullets Any of the manufacturers mentioned in this thread will take care of you. Blue Bullets sizes on the small side, my guess is so that more of them pass the case gage and they spend less time on the phone answering questions about why a customers reloads won't pass a SAMMI spec case gage. I, and I assume most others, shoot coated lead bullets for cost savings. But we need to remember and adhere to the basic principles of reloading lead bullets, the coating simply broadens the parameters they work in. Lead bullets need to be .001 over bore diameter, this helps achieve a good seal of the bullet to the bore (obturation), prevents the hot gasses of the powder slipping by and getting between the bullet and the bore which can cause leading. http://www.lasc.us/TaylorLeadingDefined.htm Here is a link to an article by Jim Taylor posted over on the Los Angeles Silhouette Club website that describes the various types of leading and what causes them. There is a ton of information on that site regarding cast bullets if one had some time to kill.

MGW
02-16-2018, 01:51 PM
Thank you all. dsa I appreciate the detailed info. The article you linked is on my read list for tonight while I enjoy a Buffalo Trace.

LtDave
02-16-2018, 02:17 PM
In my BrigTac, 3 of the most accurate hand loads were with the Hornady 115 HAP. Groups were 1.5 to 1.75" at 20 yards. The best hand load was with Montana Gold 115 JHP at 1.375". The best group the gun has shot was with Winchester 147 Super Unleaded X9mmSU2. 1.0" in the x-ring at 20 yards.

Sal Picante
02-16-2018, 03:29 PM
In my BrigTac, 3 of the most accurate hand loads were with the Hornady 115 HAP. Groups were 1.5 to 1.75" at 20 yards. The best hand load was with Montana Gold 115 JHP at 1.375". The best group the gun has shot was with Winchester 147 Super Unleaded X9mmSU2. 1.0" in the x-ring at 20 yards.

Nice, Mr Money bags...

I'd shoot HAPs and MGs all day if I didn't have to buy diapers and milk...

:)

Sal Picante
02-16-2018, 03:30 PM
I'll stop being a smart ass for a sec and say that my compacts and older centurions did just fine with 147 .357" SNS's...

deputyG23
02-16-2018, 03:55 PM
122 grain Dardas FP cast lead 9mm bullets sized .357 shot very well for me out of a previously owned Beretta 92 FC compact from the '80s.