PDA

View Full Version : Recent Glock Problems, are Glock 9mm's complete fubar.??

davebee456
02-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Does someone on here know the "real" deal about how Glock messed up later model gen 3 G19's and the gen 4 G19's??
there has been rumors on the internet but no real excuse,
New Recoil springs for the Gen 4's, New Ejectors for both gen 3 an 4's now extractors are being questioned,
and 50% of the time glock blames "limp wristing"..
I was hoping someone here knows something.

JV_
02-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Does someone on here know the "real" deal about how Glock messed up later model gen 3 G19's and the gen 4 G19's??If they do, no one has voiced it.

LittleLebowski
02-02-2012, 11:29 AM
I think it's very hard to quantify in a scientific manner. Based off of what I see from the forums, there seems to be a problem with the Gen3 guns and ejection as well. However, JV's somewhat recent manufacture Gen3 Exo G17 has run flawlessly.

JHC
02-02-2012, 11:38 AM
In the last couple of years we bought 3 late model Gen 3's and four first on the market Gen 4's - all 9mm's and they've all run great. For a total of about 35K rounds across them.

LittleLebowski
02-02-2012, 11:41 AM
In the last couple of years we bought 3 late model Gen 3's and four first on the market Gen 4's - all 9mm's and they've all run great. For a total of about 35K rounds across them.

What kind(s) of ammo were/are you using?

JV_
02-02-2012, 11:47 AM
However, JV's somewhat recent manufacture Gen3 Exo G17 has run flawlessly.And my round count is almost 13K.

LittleLebowski
02-02-2012, 11:49 AM
And my round count is almost 13K.

Keep on rubbing it in.....

JHC
02-02-2012, 11:50 AM
What kind(s) of ammo were/are you using?

115 grain - WWB, Federal, S&B, UMC, Magtech, Blazer, maybe others, more of this weight than anything else.

But at least 6K rds of 124 grain Blazer, and probably 600 rds of Win Nato mixed in.

The first several thousands were all 115. Then much smaller amounts of premium defense ammo.

I don't deny there are WAY too many problem guns; with probably a myraid of root causes but ours and the guys to my right and left (range bud's) have had good luck.

Chris Rhines
02-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Another data point - my Gen4 Glock 34 had a couple of malfunctions during a practice session this past Sunday. I tore it down and cleaned about an ounce of impacted grime and crud from around the FP safety plunger and under the extractor. After that, it made it through the KSTG match and a longish practice session without a bobble.

I had about 2500 rounds the gun prior to cleaning. Something to think on, maybe.

-C

GJM
02-02-2012, 12:13 PM
My wife's late model Gen 3 34 had an extractor problem, that would result in a stoppage every 100 rounds or so. After pulling an extractor from an older Gen 3 17, the 34 has been 100 per cent for several thousand rounds.

We have 4 Gen 4 17's, a Gen 4 19 and a Gen 4 26. With two of the Gen 4 17's, I saw a stoppage in the first 50 rounds, and otherwise all pistols have been stoppage free thru a combined total north of 5,000 rounds. Most ammo has been WWB 115 grain, with a smattering of Federal AE 147, HST 147 and HST 124+P.

Pistolero
02-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Well, I have noticed that Glock, GmbH has a long long history of releasing only partially developed and poorly tested pistols onto the international market - Especially here in North America. 'Why'? I can only suppose the root motivations are monetary greed and general contempt for the marketplace.

Several decades ago, when I noticed this was, 'the way the wind was blowing' I made a promise to myself not to buy any Glock model (or generation) for, at least, the first ten years it was on the market. This turned out to be a good rule for me to follow; and has, I suppose, a lot to do with, 'Why' my 3 Glock pistols presently work so very well.

As a corporation I have found that Glock is like a high performance automobile whose engine sputters, occasionally misses, and runs on only half its cylinders. Sometimes you're dealing with a, 'high performance machine' and other times you're dealing with a, 'pack of prevaricating BS artists'.

The only genuine consistency I've noticed about Glock, Inc. is that the majority of their product testing is conducted outside of the parent corporation and always paid for by other parties who are, also, extraneous to either the American or Austrian corporate entities. I own a lot of guns. At one time or another I've dealt with (nearly) every large gun manufacturer in North America. Of them all, the technical support people at Glock, Inc. are the only factory people who - I am positive - have deliberately lied to me.

What continues to amaze me is that, even when the evidence finally comes to hand, nobody ever seems to really care and Glock sales just seem to go on as usual. (So do the outrageous myths, as well!)

JHC
02-02-2012, 07:40 PM
I guess I really don't care, since my dozen have been outstanding. I don't have a clear idea of what I'd like from them they haven't delivered for $400-$500 each. Oh sure, a 5" single stack 9 or 10 round 10mm would be nice but . . . ;)

Mjolnir
02-03-2012, 07:34 AM
Are the new ejectors solving the weak/erratic ejection patterns in Model 17s? :confused:

JohnO
02-03-2012, 05:34 PM
I am quite interested in this topic myself as I am contemplating purchasing a 9mm Glock.

It has been eons since I owned a 9mm and lately I figured it would be good to have a 9mm or two on hand. Currently the owner of many .45 ACP pistols including a G21, G21SF and G30 all gen 3 and flawless.

I have been hesitant to pickup a Gen 4 9mm due to the chatter on many of the forums. Then I heard the new production Gen 3 9mm have issues too. So I have been sitting on the fence hoping to hear that the bugs have finally been exercised and the new 9mm Glocks are GTG. occasionally I think I should start perusing the local gun stores and look for older lightly used Gen 3 19's and 17's. However the idea of buying an old model used gun is not sitting well with me.

Therefore I most likely will continue to keep my ear to the ground and bide my time.

JHC
02-03-2012, 09:23 PM
look for older lightly used Gen 3 19's and 17's. However the idea of buying an old model used gun is not sitting well with me.

Therefore I most likely will continue to keep my ear to the ground and bide my time.

You can hardly go wrong with a lightly or heavily used older Gen 3. I've only had good luck with used Glocks, new Glocks, late model Gen 3's and Gen 4's but 9mm Glocks really can't be worn out by average to heavier than average shooters. At worst $5-$20 worth of springs would basically make it new again. Glock factory will do a free "inspect and upgrade". No worries.

Mjolnir
02-04-2012, 07:28 AM
Glock factory will do a free "inspect and upgrade". No worries.

Uhhh...

And get for free what we paid to torment the rest of us.

LOL!

I couldn't help it.

JBP55
02-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Are the new ejectors solving the weak/erratic ejection patterns in Model 17s? :confused:

Yes, I have installed about 20 in 9mm/.40 Glocks and so far everyone is pleased with the results. Most were not having issues but wanted the new ejector installed. My G4 G17 has fired more than 26,000 flawless rounds of all types with the original ejector. I am observing about 60 G4 Glocks and about 40 of them are still running the original parts with no issues. About 35 of these pistols are SWAT Team Pistols G4 G35 and are being shot quite a bit with the original parts. Most of the Glocks worked on were in/around Your Home City of Baton Rouge, La.

JV_
02-08-2012, 03:03 PM

[nevermind - you asked about a G17]

EMC
02-08-2012, 03:25 PM
[nevermind - you asked about a G17]

I assume you were going to comment about the 19's still being in question, correct?

JV_
02-08-2012, 03:37 PM
The ejector did not help my 19.

-Sent using Tapatalk.

JHC
02-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Yes, I have installed about 20 in 9mm/.40 Glocks and so far everyone is pleased with the results. Most were not having issues but wanted the new ejector installed. My G4 G17 has fired more than 26,000 flawless rounds of all types with the original ejector. I am observing about 60 G4 Glocks and about 40 of them are still running the original parts with no issues. About 35 of these pistols are SWAT Team Pistols G4 G35 and are being shot quite a bit with the original parts. Most of the Glocks worked on were in/around Your Home City of Baton Rouge, La.

For those guns that ran well but got the ejector upgrade - did they become more consistent in ejection acr/pattern?