PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Driving From Las Vegas to St. Augustine, FL

Dog Guy
02-08-2018, 01:06 PM
We'll be taking a driving trip from Nevada to St. Augustine, FL during the cold part of the year. We like driving trips, and we've never gone across the southern part of the country so we'd like to go southerly. Figure Vegas as an approximate starting point. Lord Google recommends I-40 all the way. This is a car and motel trip as opposed to a truck and camping trip. Any intel on alternative routes that are more scenic or interesting while still compatible with a VW Jetta? Any towns that are better to stay the night, or to stay away from? We have a 5-7 days to spend each way, so we have some flexibility. A good journey is as important as the destination. We both have short attention spans so we don't tend to hang out soaking up the ambience of any particular locale but we're interested in any "don't miss" attractions.

Thanks for anybody's help.

jwperry
02-08-2018, 03:00 PM
Head south, take US HWY 90. I hate interstates.

As far as attractions, I've got nothing. Maybe some gambling in Mississippi, but you probably have your fill of that coming from LV.

Joe in PNG
02-08-2018, 04:53 PM
Stick to the interstates until you get to Mississippi- avoid any large cities as much as you can.
Head down to US 98, and hug the gulf coast. The Florida panhandle coast road is one of the most beautiful roads in the US.
There's a few awesome museums to visit along the way- the USS Alabama in Mobile and the one at the Pensacola Naval Air Station.
Once you hit Pancea, just swing back north to I-10.

RJ
02-08-2018, 05:22 PM
I have some thoughts on this but I’ll need to get to a keyboard.

About how many miles a day do you plan to drive?

And this is round trip, right?

How many days do you plan to spend in St Augustine?

Kyle Reese
02-08-2018, 05:46 PM
I spent a Saturday in St.Augustine in the spring of 2016. Most of it was spent walking around, but I did enjoy a magnificent meal at Columbia Restaurant. Also, if you enjoy fine spirits, a free tour at the St.Augustine Distillery is certainly in order.

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/

Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180208/f5a4d1c94c87468701291826399b815f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180208/b6f6a2f0ee7925319bec36ef9a6a6051.jpg

blues
02-08-2018, 06:29 PM
Boy, it's been years since I've been to the Columbia. Was pretty decent. And then a promenade with an Arturo Fuente after dinner. Not too shabby.

Dog Guy
02-08-2018, 06:47 PM
Yes, it's a round trip. Spending maybe 3 or 4 days in St. Augustine, maybe an extra day or two depending on how things work out.

RJ
02-08-2018, 07:20 PM
Yes, it's a round trip. Spending maybe 3 or 4 days in St. Augustine, maybe an extra day or two depending on how things work out.

I’d say that’s about right to see St Augustine.

It is a fun place, been there a lot. Last time was on points at one of the historic hotels downtown.

Do the trolley tour, it’s a good way to see what there is to see. The fort is pretty cool. Many good places to eat and drink.

In the trio, I’ll try and post some of our favorites by the weekend. We’ve been across the US summers over a 6-8 month period in an RV the last three years.

The time frame you have is going to be tough to do without a large portion being Interstate. On driving distance, due to a family emergency, I had to Solo drive a 22’ Sprinter (our RV at the time) from Portland OR to Tampa. It is roughly 3,100 Miles, and took me 6 days. I would not want to do that again.

One thought would be to go East along I40, head down to Atlanta and FL, and then West out I10. Or the other way around.

More to come.

BehindBlueI's
02-08-2018, 09:44 PM
I really liked St. Augustine. There's a dolphin rescue a bit outside of town if you're in to that sort of thing. You can pay a bit extra to touch, feed, train, etc.

The alligator farm is pretty cool, as is the light house/museum. Tons of little shops and things to do.

RoyGBiv
02-08-2018, 11:27 PM
Grand canyon
Los Alamos
Queen Wilhemina or Mt Magazine (Arkansas is beautiful)
Nashville or Memphis (Beale St)
Charleston or Savanah.

On the return.....

Panhandle beaches and Naval Air Museum in Pensacola
USS Alabama in Mobile
New Orleans
Austin, TX

Tensaw
02-09-2018, 05:50 AM
If you do hit the USS Alabama in Mobile, note that there are a bunch of really good places to eat on the causeway where the ship is docked. Also, I-10 runs right past the USS Alabama. Take the exit and you are three minutes away.

If you don't mind a small detour (30 minutes or so), Fairhope, AL is an almost quaint little community to check out. Again, good eats along with antique shops and that sort of thing.

Hambo
02-09-2018, 06:52 AM
Stick to the interstates until you get to Mississippi- avoid any large cities as much as you can.
Head down to US 98, and hug the gulf coast. The Florida panhandle coast road is one of the most beautiful roads in the US.
There's a few awesome museums to visit along the way- the USS Alabama in Mobile and the one at the Pensacola Naval Air Station.
Once you hit Pancea, just swing back north to I-10.

In Florida I would take 98 all the way to Perry (there's a local restaurant that serves swamp cabbage if you're interested), then 27 down toward Gainesville. You would wander north and south a bit to get to St. Augustine, but it's nicer than I-10.

Dog Guy
02-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Good suggestions. Thank you.

JodyH
02-09-2018, 10:25 PM
I-10 from the Sabine River to El Paso.
You'll soon learn why there's an old saying:
"The sun has ris, the sun has set and I aint half way cross Texas yet."

revchuck38
02-10-2018, 06:43 AM
I-10 from the Sabine River to El Paso.
You'll soon learn why there's an old saying:
"The sun has ris, the sun has set and I aint half way cross Texas yet."

I've done that drive in one fell swoop, and it was...tough. IME, it's sometimes faster to stay on I-10 through San Antonio and Houston rather than to take the loops around them. Just not during rush hour.