PDA

View Full Version : M&P 9 question

poptopjr
02-01-2012, 02:01 PM
I recently bought a brand new M&P9 FS. I have had it almost a month and have 760 rounds down range. This is my first autoloader so I am in the process of learning a lot. My question is this; when I reload from slide lock it is almost impossible to get the slide to release by pushing the slide stop lever. Is this normal for an M&P or is something out of whack?

Any/all advice is welcome. I recently completed the 2012 Challenge, boy was that ugly. Avg FAST of 17 seconds, the only thing I can say is, it is harder than it looks. Those were the first six times I have ever attempted it and it was definitely a humbling experience.

If it matters, there is know thumb safety and the pistol is stock from the factory.

Thanks in advance.

Keith

bdcheung
02-01-2012, 02:02 PM
This is normal. The slide release lever on my 9fs and 9c were both pretty stiff when I first got them, but they loosen up over time.

I normally release the slide by racking it with my weak hand though.

bassmcqueen
02-01-2012, 02:08 PM
I normally release the slide by racking it with my weak hand though.

Just do this and it will work every time

F-Trooper05
02-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Just put a little M-A-N on it. It should loosen up after a bit. At least it's not auto-forwarding... yet.

poptopjr
02-01-2012, 06:06 PM
At least it's not auto-forwarding... yet.

It has, first day when it started getting warm after a couple hundred rounds. I had read about that issue so it didn't surprise me that much. Hasn't done it since.

JDM
02-01-2012, 06:43 PM
My .357 M&P had the same issue. It eventually went away with use.

mcracco
02-02-2012, 06:15 AM
S&W calls the lever a slide stop vs. a slide release so that may give you some indication as to their intentions. None of my M&P's can release an open slide by depressing the lever.

But I only notice when cleaning as during live fire I use the auto release. Surprised to see auto forward looked upon as an issue.

mnealtx
02-02-2012, 07:18 AM
S&W calls the lever a slide stop vs. a slide release so that may give you some indication as to their intentions. None of my M&P's can release an open slide by depressing the lever.

But I only notice when cleaning as during live fire I use the auto release. Surprised to see auto forward looked upon as an issue.

If you follow the logic, it's a failure of the slide stop to function as designed.

A larger issue (IMO) would be to *depend* on the 'auto-forward' to release the slide.

mcracco
02-02-2012, 07:38 AM
:) Here's my logic; I need another round in the chamber and more rounds in the gun so I insert a fresh mag and both conditions are instantly met. Be it design or divine intervention it works for me!

texasaggie2005
02-02-2012, 09:26 AM
My M&P45c falls into the "auto-forwards every time" category. The only time it doesn't auto-forward, is when I gently place a mag in. But if I slam one home, it auto-forwards. I view it as a plus.

And the slide stop on it is dang near impossible to manipulate with one finger.

poptopjr
02-02-2012, 10:12 AM
I would hope that if not designed to do it, it wouldn't do it at all (auto forwarding), however if it did it every time I would not have an "issue" with it. Granted, at 760 rounds my gun is still new. I recognize that what it is now is not what it will be after a few thousand rounds. As for now, out of four range sessions it has only done it on one occasion.

I will continue to release the slide with my weak hand until I feel like my performance is suffering, but if i'm being honest with a FAST average of 17 seconds the slide stop is the least of my worries, ultimately I was just curious if it was my M&P or all, it sounds like all of them are hard to release with the slide stop, as that wasn't the intended purpose of the lever.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Keith

bdcheung
02-02-2012, 10:40 AM
My full-sized and compact 9's will do it consistently if I am consistent in the force and angle of magazine insertion. If either of those are off, then it won't do it. I've found that a hard (i.e. more forceful than assertive) magazine insertion, where the force is concentrated on the forward edge of the baseplate (so that the force vector is directed towards the rear of the slide), will cause it to happen.