PDA

View Full Version : Springfield M1A Loaded Precision for a casual 600m iron sighted rifle?

HeavyDuty
02-04-2018, 09:58 AM
Years ago I had a DCM Garand, but due to disuse, pain (see below) and it being an oddball chambering for me I sold it to a friend who is happily shooting the crap out of it at club matches. It makes my heart feel good to see it being used as God and Garand intended.

I’ve always thought about getting an M1A for a casual longer range iron sighted rifle. Yes, I know I can build or have one built and end up with what is arguably a superior rifle, but for the money it looks like a Loaded would do everything I need pretty much as is and would have a decent warranty in case things go sideways. I would never scope it, and I’m not going to start shooting High Power again. I’m just looking for a fun to shoot semiauto 7.62 that isn’t AR pattern to bang the gongs alongside my bolt guns. My only semiauto 7.62 right now is a FAL which, while being a great rifle, isn’t what I would want to use much beyond 200.

What brought this idea back to the forefront after a few years of peaceful slumbering was a trip to the local Cabelas yesterday to put hands on a Glock 26 Gen5. As I was shooting the crap with the salesperson, my eye was drawn to a rifle in the rack behind him. It was a SA MP9220 Loaded Precision in an Archangel synthetic stock. One of my issues is a wonky right wrist - the grip angle of traditional rifle stocks is very uncomfortable for me, especially in heavier calibers. The stock on this rifle would be much less painful for me to shoot. I don’t see myself wanting to do much to it at all - maybe a hooded rear sight, and of course adding a bipod.

The GAS, it is strong. I have one in my shopping cart right now...

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/m1a-loaded/#MP9220