PDA

View Full Version : Buying/Commissioning A Bowie?

Rex G
02-02-2018, 12:07 PM
Now that I am freshly retired from LEO-ing, and being a life-long resident of SE Texas, a nice large Bowie blade seems to be a fitting grail, for which to start a quest. A Bowie knife is bit of Excalibur, and more than a bit of Texas/Louisiana history/heritage; what’s not to like? The first maker entering my mind is Bill Bagwell, as I have one of his smaller blades, a bit over 7”, purchased pre-owned, and looking a bit used by its previous owner(s). For an actual carry Bowie, the Bagwell I have on hand may serve quite well enough. For reference, it is about the size of a Randall 1-7.

If I were to decide upon a high-end production blade, the Randall Raymond Thorp Bowie has my attention. I am not saying that the author, Raymond Thorp, necessarily wrote true history; historical fiction is probably more accurate. I am not interested in the brass-backed blade concept, whether it is historically accurate, or not. This model does seem to ber. Reasonable resemblance to some Bowies in historic photos. A big drawback is that it is quite heavy, though not as heavy as the Randall Smithsonian Bowie.

A more practical Bowie, from Randall, is the “12-9-14.” This is the Randall, Model 12, 9-inch blade, with the blade ground in the manner of the Randall Model 14.

A couple of other makers, who have been associated with Bill Bagwell, have made knives that really captured my attention, in the past, but I have not yet been able to confirm they are still making blades.

Prdator
02-02-2018, 12:17 PM
I have been looking for a custom Damascus Bowie. one with a more modern handle, brass guard and top drop edge sharp.

Good luck on your search man and be sure and post some pics of it when you get one. Oh Native Texan here.!!!

EricP
02-02-2018, 07:38 PM
I would bet that blues would have some insight into commisioning a custom knife.

blues
02-02-2018, 07:42 PM
I would bet that blues would have some insight into commisioning a custom knife.

I've been a lot less active in the last few years...but yeah, I've had a lot of knives made for me by various makers over the years. Happy to help if I can.

I only own one Bowie, however, the one by John Fitch I posted recently...and that was one I bought from another forum member on bladeforums at the time.

1slow
02-02-2018, 09:34 PM
Jason Knight does very good work, and is a good guy.

Rex G
02-03-2018, 08:58 AM
If I were to decide upon a high-end production blade, the Randall Raymond Thorp Bowie has my attention. I am not saying that the author, Raymond Thorp, necessarily wrote true history; historical fiction is probably more accurate. I am not interested in the brass-backed blade concept, whether it is historically accurate, or not. This model does seem to bear a reasonable resemblance to some Bowies in historic photos. A big drawback is that it is quite heavy, though not as heavy as the Randall Smithsonian Bowie.

To late to edit the original post, so I quoted myself, and fixed it there. On a good day, I can type.

Rex G
02-03-2018, 09:00 AM
Jason Knight does very good work, and is a good guy.

I saw his name mentioned on another forum, too. I will start looking. Thanks!

peterb
02-03-2018, 09:19 AM
http://jonasblade.com

This is in my neck of the woods. I'm no knife expert, but I've been impressed with the samples of his work I've seen.

joshs
02-03-2018, 09:32 AM
I really like the bowies from ML Knives (http://www.ml-knives.com/custom-7-blade-bowie/). I've never had one, but I also haven't ever head anything bad about his work.

This one (https://kniferights.org/freedoms-steel-vi-victorys-edge-bowie/) was pretty cool, too.

Duces Tecum
02-03-2018, 11:45 AM
http://www.americanbladesmith.com/index.php?section=pages&id=165
(http://www.americanbladesmith.com/index.php?section=pages&id=165)
Antique Bowie Knife Association Awards: For the finest representation of a 19th Century Bowie Knife submitted by Master Smith and Journeyman Smith

1995 Joseph Keeslar, Master Smith and Jim Walker, Journeyman Smith
1996 James Batson, Master Smith and Jim Walker, Journeyman Smith
1997 Tim Hancock, Master Smith and Wade Colter, Journeyman Smith
1998 Harvey Dean, Master Smith and Joe Szilaski, Journeyman Smith
1999 Harvey Dean, Master Smith and Ron Newton, Journeyman Smith
2000 Harvey Dean, Master Smith and Ron Newton, Journeyman Smith
2001 Harvey Dean, Master Smith, Ron Newton, Master Smith and Ken Durham, Journeyman Smith
2002 Harvey Dean, Master Smith and Ken Durham, Journeyman Smith
2003 Kevin Harvey, Master Smith and Billy Bob Sowell, Journeyman Smith
2004 Bailey Bradshaw, Master Smith and Billy Bob Sowell, Journeyman Smith
2005 John Perry, Master Smith and Billy Bob Sowell, Journeyman Smith
2006 Doug Noren, Master Smith and Lin Rhea, Journeyman Smith
2007 Harvey Dean, Master Smith and Matt Diskin, Journeyman Smith
2008 John Perry, Mastersmith, Matt Diskin, Journeyman Smith and Jerry Van Eizenga, Journeyman Smith
2009 Doug Noren, Master Smith and Jerry Van Eizenga, Journeyman Smith
2010 Jim Batson, Master Smith and Kyle Royer, Journeyman Smith
2011 James Batson, MS and Butch Sheely, JS
2012 James Batson, MS and Jerry Van Eizenga, JS
2013 James Batson, MS and Butch Sheely, JS
2014 Doug Noren, MS and Butch Sheely, JS
2015 Doug Noren, MS and Mace Vitale, JS
2016 Timothy Potier, MSS and Butch Sheely, JS

blues
02-03-2018, 12:58 PM
Some great names on that list. I've had occasion to meet many of them at one time or another at the Blade and Guild shows over the years. You couldn't go wrong with any of them.

I'd add my old friend Ray Kirk (Master Smith) out of Tahlequah, OK to the list of makers. Ray's a very gifted maker who can make a knife that just plain works its ass off, or as fancy as you please...or both. His prices have always been reasonable and if you contact him, tell him his old friend "blues" sent you.

Ray specializes in forged 52100 which is a great steel.

Rex G
02-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Gentlemen, thanks for all of the replies. I now have plenty of homework to do, and perhaps a trip to a show, or two, particularly Blade 2018, to continue research. The good thing is that I have an apparently authentic Bagwell, which, though small, is certainly very nice to have, and its being in user condition means I need not fear tucking it under my belt, and toting it out and about. I can take my time, and enjoy the quest.

I am thinking I might acquire a nice Randall Bowie, anyway, which would not preclude continuing the quest for a true custom Bowie. A Raymond Thorp, with a nice wood handle, is quite appealing, and if ordered from a Randall dealer, or prior owner, could be acquired within the same year I retired. The Randall that has recently caught my attention, however, is the Model 2-8. There is something “just right” about it, an evolved, concealable Gladius Americanus.

drummer
02-12-2018, 09:56 PM
Ive posted some of my bowies in the past in the gallery sub-forum. In my opinion, while most any knife maker can make a bowie-like knife, the list of guys who can make a good bowie is pretty short. And of those guys, most are very hard to come by due to demand, wait, real jobs, etc. Matt Lamey is one who is obtainable and priced fairly. Other guys such as Jason Knight, Nick Wheeler, Burt Foster, Adam Desrosiers, Kevin Cashen all make awesome blades that can be nearly impossible to get. That said, some of the better custom knife dealers keep spots in their ques that you can order with a lot less wait. Craig Camerer may be a good option also. At any given time, there are up and coming Journeyman Smiths who are accessible.

That said, NO ONE makes a bowie like Bagwell does. You can get them with better fit and finish and prettier but there is no better bowie knife. Even most of the big name guys don't know how to fight with a bowie knife. You can tell in how they're made.

blues
02-12-2018, 10:21 PM
Ive posted some of my bowies in the past in the gallery sub-forum. In my opinion, while most any knife maker can make a bowie-like knife, the list of guys who can make a good bowie is pretty short. And of those guys, most are very hard to come by due to demand, wait, real jobs, etc. Matt Lamey is one who is obtainable and priced fairly. Other guys such as Jason Knight, Nick Wheeler, Burt Foster, Adam Desrosiers, Kevin Cashen all make awesome blades that can be nearly impossible to get. That said, some of the better custom knife dealers keep spots in their ques that you can order with a lot less wait. Craig Camerer may be a good option also. At any given time, there are up and coming Journeyman Smiths who are accessible.

That said, NO ONE makes a bowie like Bagwell does. You can get them with better fit and finish and prettier but there is no better bowie knife. Even most of the big name guys don't know how to fight with a bowie knife. You can tell in how they're made.

I've had or currently have work by Lamey, Wheeler and Kevin Cashen and agree they do very nice work.

eaglefrq
02-13-2018, 01:24 PM
Check out Liontribe Designs. I purchased one of his knives for a friend and she loves it. Very well made and while a lot of his designs are a little more "exotic", I'm sure he can make anything you want.

Grey
02-13-2018, 01:40 PM
Jason Knight is who I would ask for a Bowie right now.

blues
02-13-2018, 01:49 PM
https://youtu.be/YVS3K9PeP4A

Wondering Beard
02-13-2018, 01:58 PM
I have an Ontario Knives Hell's Belle (the all black one) and it is plenty to give one a hankering for a real custom one. Personally, I'd just order from Bill Bagwell and wait however long is necessary.

P.S. the coffin handle may look clunky but it works extraordinarily well in the hand.

1slow
02-13-2018, 07:45 PM
I have the Bagwell Hell's Belle and the Ontario version. I like both.

Bigghoss
02-16-2018, 03:53 AM
This guy does some nice work.

https://www.tmhuntcustomknives.com/

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/2d2f5a_f26ec2b5ff774a4fb65b808876177141~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_955,h_633,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/2d2f5a_f26ec2b5ff774a4fb65b808876177141~mv2.webp

Rex G
02-17-2018, 08:10 AM
I have an Ontario Knives Hell's Belle (the all black one) and it is plenty to give one a hankering for a real custom one. Personally, I'd just order from Bill Bagwell and wait however long is necessary.

P.S. the coffin handle may look clunky but it works extraordinarily well in the hand.

I have an Ontario Hell’s Belle, ordered when they were still being made. The original sheath is not suitable for carry, being far too tight. I am not so sure it can be loosened without ruining it, and have been considering options, including ordering a leather Rowe sheath, or Kydex from Mike Sastre. You are correct; the coffin handle does work very well.

A maker named Covington has indicated that he has Bill Bagwell’s blessing to use the secret Bagwell heat treat. He used to be local, near Bagwell in SE Texas, but went quiet for a while, and then re-emerged in a new area, and makes the Hell’s Belle. He lists on evil-bay, from time to time. Whether he takes orders for a Bowie sized to fit the user, I cannot say. I hope to learn more.

I am tracking a pre-owned Covington Bowie, en route through the USPS, from a collector in NJ. This Covington blade is not anything like an HB, being much shorter, about 7” in blade length, and with a different handle contour.

Regarding Bowie sizing, Bill Bagwell wanted to know a specific dimension of a user’s physical size before making a custom Bowie. I believe my copy of his book was turned to mush by Harvey, but a new copy is en route. Another method I have found, on-line, uses the user’s measurement from inside the elbow joint, to the inside of the bent middle finger, a measurement that also tends to match the dimension along the inside of one’s thigh, the sizing of the sword used by the Biblical Ehud.

Wondering Beard
02-17-2018, 11:40 AM
I have an Ontario Hell’s Belle, ordered when they were still being made. The original sheath is not suitable for carry, being far too tight. I am not so sure it can be loosened without ruining it, and have been considering options, including ordering a leather Rowe sheath, or Kydex from Mike Sastre. You are correct; the coffin handle does work very well.
The sheaths were indeed of poorer quality. For a production Bowie like that, I'd go with Mike Sastre rather than nice purpose made leather.

A maker named Covington has indicated that he has Bill Bagwell’s blessing to use the secret Bagwell heat treat. He used to be local, near Bagwell in SE Texas, but went quiet for a while, and then re-emerged in a new area, and makes the Hell’s Belle. He lists on evil-bay, from time to time. Whether he takes orders for a Bowie sized to fit the user, I cannot say. I hope to learn more.
I hadn't heard of him, as I became less interested in Bowies a long time ago, I just haven't kept up. I hope he does them right.

I am tracking a pre-owned Covington Bowie, en route through the USPS, from a collector in NJ. This Covington blade is not anything like an HB, being much shorter, about 7” in blade length, and with a different handle contour.
With a 7" blade, I'd go straight to a Randall 1-7 with the back edge sharpened (I think they normally all are but I'm not sure). It used to be that you could call their shop up and asked what was in stock and order; I don't know if they do that anymore.

Regarding Bowie sizing, Bill Bagwell wanted to know a specific dimension of a user’s physical size before making a custom Bowie. I believe my copy of his book was turned to mush by Harvey, but a new copy is en route. Another method I have found, on-line, uses the user’s measurement from inside the elbow joint, to the inside of the bent middle finger, a measurement that also tends to match the dimension along the inside of one’s thigh, the sizing of the sword used by the Biblical Ehud.

I remember that now that you mention it. it was one of the things that made Bagwell's work so interesting. It's been a long time since I opened up his book, maybe I should do that again. I didn't know about the biblical part though.

Rex G
02-17-2018, 04:28 PM
The pre-owned 7” Covington Bowie arrived today! Sweet! It feels much more like a chopping-oriented camp Bowie, than a fighting Bowie. The swedge being left unsharpened tends to confirm this. For reference, I have a 7.25” Bagwell Bowie, that is much more like a fighter, that I bought pre-owned, about 15 to 20 years ago, before real Bagwells became so collectible. I also have a pair of Randall 1-7 knives, for reference. This Covington is much more of a chopper than the Randalls.

To be clear, I am not saying that all Covington Bowies are heavy-built choppers. This is the only one I have seen, and even Bill Bagwell, himself, if I recall correctly, wrote of the differing types of Bowies, depending upon their intended purpose. While this Covington is indeed heavy, it is superbly balanced.

It is true that the Randall 1-7 is an excellent 7” blade, probably the logical and practical evolution of the Bowie concept, as the older Randall printed catalog indicated.

Poconnor
02-17-2018, 04:57 PM
I remember a bagwell SOF article of recommended blade smiths. I don’t remember everyone on it but Jim Crowell and jerry Fisk were on it

delkancott
02-17-2018, 05:53 PM
This guy does some nice work.

https://www.tmhuntcustomknives.com/

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/2d2f5a_f26ec2b5ff774a4fb65b808876177141~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_955,h_633,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/2d2f5a_f26ec2b5ff774a4fb65b808876177141~mv2.webp

I second this. Todd doesn’t some stellar custom knives including Bowies. I’ll try to link some pictures after.

drummer
02-17-2018, 09:15 PM
RexG, did you get the Covington that's been on Ebay for a while? If so, it was a nice looking knife. I've got a small 9-10" damascus bowie from Greg Covington. When I got it, it had an oosic handle that was a little short for me. I found his contact info and he agreed to rehandle it for me as well as make a nice sheath for it.

I don't believe that he is making knives anymore. There have been several people that I'm aware of that apprenticed with Bagwell over the years. One was a retired GSP trooper whose name escapes me...Jimmy something? I handled some of his work at Blade numerous years ago but it didn't have quite the same feel as a Bagwell.

Rex G
02-17-2018, 10:34 PM
RexG, did you get the Covington that's been on Ebay for a while? If so, it was a nice looking knife. I've got a small 9-10" damascus bowie from Greg Covington. When I got it, it had an oosic handle that was a little short for me. I found his contact info and he agreed to rehandle it for me as well as make a nice sheath for it.

I don't believe that he is making knives anymore. There have been several people that I'm aware of that apprenticed with Bagwell over the years. One was a retired GSP trooper whose name escapes me...Jimmy something? I handled some of his work at Blade numerous years ago but it didn't have quite the same feel as a Bagwell.

If you mean the relatively short-bladed Covington, with a burnt Osage Orange handle, that was repeatedly re-listed, yes, I got that one. I got it from a collector in NJ, who seemed to be thinning/down-sizing. He liked the knife, and thought he would keep it if it did not sell, so he kept that same firm price through multiple re-listings.

Greg Covington is, himself, an evil-bay seller. He seems to still sell one or two of his knives at a time, but he does not always have things listed, and there are large time gaps in his feed-back profile, so he may not be actively making knives anymore. I managed to communicate with him, through the evil-bay messaging system, so maybe I will learn more.

Rex G
02-21-2018, 05:05 PM
To update my above post, it seems that Greg Covington is still making knives. I do not (yet) know if he accepts commissions.

Rex G
02-23-2018, 02:59 PM
I did not say anything earlier, in order not to jinx the package while USPS* had it, but I just took delivery of my Greg Covington-forged Hell’s Belle. Beautiful. This one could be my “grail” knife.

I did not commission this one, so it was not custom-sized for me, but it handles wonderfully. I do not perceive any way it could be a better fit. This Bowie is notably heftier than the production version of the Hell’s Belle sold by Ontario, and the handle fits me better than the Ontario version. This Bowie was one he made, and posted on evil-bay. I just happened to be interested in the subject of forged Bowies at the time he listed it. I had no idea he was an evil-bay seller until I saw the listing.

*I always worry when waiting for an important package, especially if being handled/shipped via USPS.

Covington Edged Weaponry
03-16-2018, 12:05 PM
I did not say anything earlier, in order not to jinx the package while USPS* had it, but I just took delivery of my Greg Covington-forged Hell’s Belle. Beautiful. This one could be my “grail” knife

Hey guys....Greg Covington here.

Rex....the osage handled knife that you have has an interesting history. It was the first knife that Bill Bagwell walked me thru all the heat treat and testing...to what he considers ideal. It was also "double extra forged" from steel that Bagwell told me to use. It was done in the theme of his old "Combat Special" knife that can be seen in the old catalogs. I remember one of the tests was to lay a penny on a log and chop thru it with no ill effect to the blade.

Bill's heat treat is something I incorporate to my Bowies....but I add in a few extra things because you have to find a medium to what works best for you. I was very fortunate to have Bill teach me this stuff and gift me with the notion of carrying on with what he's done. He said something to the effect that he shouldn't take all this info with him and he'd like to see it go forward. Bill's an absolute legend....but not so much that he wasn't interested in the way I was doing things and picking my brain as well....as I remember about using a hydraulic press, making damascus with it, and especially canister damascus.

I work full time as a CAT Scan tech and have so for 30 years....I've always had the dream to go full time but then there is reality...insurance, family, etc. As a result I have started to limit my orders and really prefer to build the Bowies and sell them when they are done. Odd as it sounds, it lets me work more freely with materials and let's the knives kinda go where they go...and I think results in a better Bowie.

I also have to have free time in the shop to do other knives that I get inspired to make. I do alot of Vietnam era themed blades.....SOG's, Randall style, and the rare Nguyen Dan knives.

HCM
03-16-2018, 12:36 PM
I did not say anything earlier, in order not to jinx the package while USPS* had it, but I just took delivery of my Greg Covington-forged Hell’s Belle. Beautiful. This one could be my “grail” knife.

I did not commission this one, so it was not custom-sized for me, but it handles wonderfully. I do not perceive any way it could be a better fit. This Bowie is notably heftier than the production version of the Hell’s Belle sold by Ontario, and the handle fits me better than the Ontario version. This Bowie was one he made, and posted on evil-bay. I just happened to be interested in the subject of forged Bowies at the time he listed it. I had no idea he was an evil-bay seller until I saw the listing.

*I always worry when waiting for an important package, especially if being handled/shipped via USPS.

For a guy who did crime scene photography as a collateral duty this thread is seriously devoid of pictures ;-)

blues
03-16-2018, 12:37 PM
For a guy who did crime scene photography as a collateral duty this thread is seriously devoid of pictures ;-)

I was wondering if it was just me...;)

Covington Edged Weaponry
03-16-2018, 01:06 PM
Satans's Lace Bowie

http://i68.tinypic.com/140c7c6.jpg

Bloodwood Belle

http://i66.tinypic.com/bewmk1.jpg

Rex G
03-16-2018, 04:12 PM

Well, since the time Flickr disappeared all of my images hosted there, I have not yet trusted, nor established an account with, another image hosting service.

I see that Greg Covington just posted a couple of images, (Thanks!) and while the Belle I mentioned above, which has an oak handle, is not one of the two Bowies pictured, I did also order, and recently receive, the “Satan’s Lace” Damascus Belle, as shown in the top picture.

My Belle with the oak handles is a massive blade, ready serve as my sword in the Valley of the Shadow of Death, with its hand-and-a-half-sized handle. The Belle with the Satan’s Lace Damascus blade is sized more like a typical fightin’ Hell’s Belle, but is notably more stoutly-built than the Ontario-made Hell’s Belle.

Yes, I really should photograph my several Bowies, and figure-out how to start posting images on-line again.

Rex G
03-16-2018, 04:46 PM
Hey guys....Greg Covington here.

Rex....the osage handled knife that you have has an interesting history. It was the first knife that Bill Bagwell walked me thru all the heat treat and testing...to what he considers ideal. It was also "double extra forged" from steel that Bagwell told me to use. It was done in the theme of his old "Combat Special" knife that can be seen in the old catalogs. I remember one of the tests was to lay a penny on a log and chop thru it with no ill effect to the blade.

Bill's heat treat is something I incorporate to my Bowies....but I add in a few extra things because you have to find a medium to what works best for you. I was very fortunate to have Bill teach me this stuff and gift me with the notion of carrying on with what he's done. He said something to the effect that he shouldn't take all this info with him and he'd like to see it go forward. Bill's an absolute legend....but not so much that he wasn't interested in the way I was doing things and picking my brain as well....as I remember about using a hydraulic press, making damascus with it, and especially canister damascus.

I work full time as a CAT Scan tech and have so for 30 years....I've always had the dream to go full time but then there is reality...insurance, family, etc. As a result I have started to limit my orders and really prefer to build the Bowies and sell them when they are done. Odd as it sounds, it lets me work more freely with materials and let's the knives kinda go where they go...and I think results in a better Bowie.

I also have to have free time in the shop to do other knives that I get inspired to make. I do alot of Vietnam era themed blades.....SOG's, Randall style, and the rare Nguyen Dan knives.

Interesting! Thanks for posting this, and, of course, welcome to the forum!

Any of your three Bowies, in my possession, could be seen as a grail-quest Bowie. Each seems to be a perfect fit, even though they vary in size and mass. The larger of the two Belles has the mass to be heavy-duty chopper, yet the distal taper and balance of a fightin’ Bowie. I see no reason, at this point in time, to commission a custom blade.

HCM
03-16-2018, 04:48 PM
Well, since the time Flickr disappeared all of my images hosted there, I have not yet trusted, nor established an account with, another image hosting service.

I see that Greg Covington just posted a couple of images, (Thanks!) and while the Belle I mentioned above, which has an oak handle, is not one of the two Bowies pictured, I did also order, and recently receive, the “Satan’s Lace” Damascus Belle, as shown in the top picture.

My Belle with the oak handles is a massive blade, ready serve as my sword in the Valley of the Shadow of Death, with its hand-and-a-half-sized handle. The Belle with the Satan’s Lace Damascus blade is sized more like a typical fightin’ Hell’s Belle, but is notably more stoutly-built than the Ontario-made Hell’s Belle.

Yes, I really should photograph my several Bowies, and figure-out how to start posting images on-line again.

You can load photos directly to PF - you don't need a third party host.

Rex G
03-16-2018, 04:52 PM
You can load photos directly to PF - you don't need a third party host.

OK, good to know!

Rex G
03-16-2018, 05:37 PM

Quick-and-dirty, in harsh light, the two Belles, captured by this I-Pad. I had to first chop-down the tree. OK, not really.

ETA: Ugh, a horrible image. I used Lucid to soften the shadows, but am not sure it helped, overall. Will do better with a real camera, later.

Rex G
03-16-2018, 05:45 PM

OK, same lame image, but tweaked just a bit differently. No way to fix the out-of-focus parts; gotta get focus right at the time of the shot. At least I now know how to post an image.

Rex G
03-16-2018, 08:53 PM

OK, a quick-and-dirty snapshot, straight-out-of-camera JPEG, with an external Speedlight flash mounted on top of the camera, with the diffuser panel flipped down, and no editing. the center of the beam being aimed at the Damascus blade helped mitigate the glare just a bit. I used a 60mm macro lens, though not at macro distance, to minimize distortion. To do this right, I would have more than one flash, off-camera, at about a 45-degree angle, but that will have to wait until tomorrow, or so.

At top is the early Covington Bowie, with the Osage Orange handle, described by Greg in his post. This is a bit over 6" in blade length. I can conceal this one relatively easily, tucking the sheath under my belt, behind my left hip, for right-hand cross-draw, or left hand cavalry draw.

Second from top is the Hell's Belle forged with Satan's Lace Damascus. The blade is about ten inches in length. I have yet to try concealing this one, but it is about the same length as my Ontario factory-made Belle, so concealment should be possible, with more attention to the cover garment.

At bottom is the oak-handled Belle, the oak from an old barn, and the blade forged using a large file. This one makes a swords want to run and hide. This Belle is not the back-up weapon; it relegates the pistol to back-up status. Well, OK, there is some hyperbole in the preceding two sentences, but this beautiful blade will do more than just make holes.

drummer
03-17-2018, 08:19 PM
Greg and Rex, beautiful knives. There is nothing else like a perfectly crafted Belle.

Rex G
03-27-2020, 05:02 PM

At work, I used a proprietary software program, Data Works Digital Crime Scene, to upload and review my images, in computers running Windows-something-or-another-Professional. I use iPads, for personal stuff, which was difficult enough to understand, before the last big OS change, in 2019. Now, in 2020, I am more lost, than ever.

I should enroll in training, at the Apple Store, if this COVID thing ever ends.

Poconnor
04-03-2020, 07:57 PM
Who are the go to sheath makers for Bowie’s? Rowe? River City sheath?

Poconnor
04-05-2020, 10:07 AM
I have wanted a Bagwell Hell’s Belle ever since I started reading his column in Soldier of Fortune. This thread reminded me of that and makes me want to go through the knives I have accumulated; sell off the excess to fund a Bagwell and a Covington Belle. Like my guns I have decided “less guns but better guns” ok- maybe not less; but better. But me being me I searched evilbay and I found some great Bowies to tide me over. Back in 2002 Camillius had master blade smith Jerry Fisk design a series of Bowies called Fisk OVB. (Our Very Best) they were offered in two blade lengths (7 inch or 11 inch) and two grip materials- Maple or Ironwood. To my surprise I found several for sale for surprisingly low prices. Luckily nobody else bid on of them and I won three of them. (Go big or go home) plus I have been buying for my teenage sons for years. I bought a 7 inch Ironwood “comanchero” midsize Bowie and two 11 inch “southwestern” Bowies . I received the 7 inch yesterday. It’s beautiful, light and scary sharp. I stuck it in my waist band behind my hip and tried
a presentation. I promptly cut a huge slash in my shirt that I didn’t even feel it when the knife cut through. I tried a lateral slash on a water bottle I sailed right through.

blues
04-05-2020, 10:21 AM
John Fitch

Ray Laconico

Wondering Beard
04-05-2020, 10:37 AM
Not a true Bowie in the sense that the size is wrong, but wonderful work from Joe Watson, the Alamo Special:

FNFAN
04-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Ray Laconico

Wow! The lines on that just kinda "sing." Similar to a Rogers 1911 or a Ferrari. Gorgeous!

blues
04-05-2020, 12:23 PM
Wow! The lines on that just kinda "sing." Similar to a Rogers 1911 or a Ferrari. Gorgeous!

Thanks! The best part of all is that it was gifted to me unexpectedly at the Blade Show some years back by a fellow knife enthusiast. Took me by surprise, for sure.

Poconnor
04-09-2020, 11:37 AM
The 11 inch Fisk Camillius OVB Bowies arrived yesterday. They are both NIB. The wife was not amused. After handling them I understand why they are NIB. The seven inch is a Goldilocks knife; feels just right. The 11 inch blade is huge. It is literally too much of a good thing. It’s not the length, it is also wider. It feels like a sword. Not a machete - just big. My Bowie itch is now currently scratched; except now I need a Watson alamo Bowie. If I ever get challenged to a knife duel I am set. I think I’d rather get shot once than stabbed repeatedly with one of these Bowies

Roshambo
10-03-2020, 08:43 AM
At work, I used a proprietary software program, Data Works Digital Crime Scene, to upload and review my images, in computers running Windows-something-or-another-Professional. I use iPads, for personal stuff, which was difficult enough to understand, before the last big OS change, in 2019. Now, in 2020, I am more lost, than ever.

I should enroll in training, at the Apple Store, if this COVID thing ever ends.

Rex,

I just registered on the forum as I found your reviews and pics of Covington Belle's very useful. I just purchased a recent creation from Greg and should be getting her soon. This one was forged from a U.S. made vintage bastard mill file and an old sycamore barn door (likely hog barn), with aged hammered copper. The whole piece has a rustic finish and I'm very excited to receive her.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174458833491

Also is it possible to upload pics direct or do I have to link to URL?

V/R
-Chris

DueSpada
10-04-2020, 09:54 AM
[ATTACH=CONFIG]61284[/ATTACH

Something a little rougher perhaps? Dan Brock, Plowshare Forge.

FNFAN
10-04-2020, 11:37 AM
Ray Laconico

Ha! I already commented on that knife months ago. This post this morning was damn near word for word! At least I'm consistent:confused:

Reading through the thread and seeing Poconner mention the Camillius-Fisk OVB Bowie lead me to one that was NOS. Thanks Guys! The last thing I pictured for today was buying a Bowie knife:rolleyes:

Now I'll have to hunt down a copy of Alan Ladd in, "The Iron Mistress"

Rex G
10-04-2020, 06:38 PM
Rex,

I just registered on the forum as I found your reviews and pics of Covington Belle's very useful. I just purchased a recent creation from Greg and should be getting her soon. This one was forged from a U.S. made vintage bastard mill file and an old sycamore barn door (likely hog barn), with aged hammered copper. The whole piece has a rustic finish and I'm very excited to receive her.

V/R
-Chris

I saw that one, on the evil bay, as it popped into my Saved Searches. My Covington-made Belle looks much like it, but, of course, differs in details. Each if different, which is a good thing. :)

Enjoy!

Edited to add: I believe it is possible to upload images directly, but I have to re-learn each time I try to do it, and have given up, the last couple of times I have tried.

Duelist
10-05-2020, 07:41 AM
I saw that one, on the evil bay, as it popped into my Saved Searches. My Covington-made Belle looks much like it, but, of course, differs in details. Each if different, which is a good thing. :)

Enjoy!

Edited to add: I believe it is possible to upload images directly, but I have to re-learn each time I try to do it, and have given up, the last couple of times I have tried.

Rex,

V/R
-Chris

Hi, Chris, Rex!

Posting pics is very easy: you don’t need a file sharing service, you can post them directly.

Once you click on “reply to thread” to start your response post, you will see a selection of icons above the text box where you type. On the second, or middle, row of icons, there is a group of five with a tiny world with several chain links superimposed on it on the left side, and what might resemble a piece of movie film on the right. Next to the film icon is another icon with four tiny black squares in the corners and a very blurry tree in the middle. That is the pictures icon.

Select the pictures icon, and you will get a pop-up that says “insert image” with two tabs labeled “computer” and “URL”. Select the tab you need - I always use the computer - then select the “Choose file” button. Selecting that allows you to browse your computer and select your picture. You may need to choose a smaller file size, depending on how large the original picture file is. If you do that, the system will compress your image a bit and load faster. Once you have selected the picture, there is a button that says “upload file(s)”. Select that, then wait a bit while it loads. Once the pop-up goes away, there will be text in your message box. Don’t mess with it - that’s the code for your picture file - but you can type your message before or after the code, and even upload more pictures to the same message.

When you are done writing the message, just post as normal. Easy!

Poconnor
11-10-2020, 12:10 PM
I just got lucky and bought a Covington Hell’s Belle. I won’t call it my grail but I’m getting closer. I checks off most of the boxes except two. It doesn’t have a distal taper to the blade so it doesn’t have that live a d part off you feel. Still it’s a great knife and looks awesome. But If I want a Bowie chopper this is my new go to.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62994[/ATTACH

Poconnor
11-23-2020, 10:40 AM
My search has led me to an Ontario Bagwell Hell’s Belle. This knife feels great in your hand. Light and fast. My Covington hell’s Belle balance point is very blade heavy. It feels like it just wants to chop.
My newest Bowie is a Damascus Hell’s Belle by Ricardo Vilar. This one is beautiful, light, fast and balanced. It does not feel like a big knife. I thinks it time to learn how to use a hell’s Belle for fighting. It is very easy to carry it IWB. Any suggestions?

feudist
11-23-2020, 02:52 PM
My search has led me to an Ontario Bagwell Hell’s Belle. This knife feels great in your hand. Light and fast. My Covington hell’s Belle balance point is very blade heavy. It feels like it just wants to chop.
My newest Bowie is a Damascus Hell’s Belle by Ricardo Vilar. This one is beautiful, light, fast and balanced. It does not feel like a big knife. I thinks it time to learn how to use a hell’s Belle for fighting. It is very easy to carry it IWB. Any suggestions?

Bagwell's book and Mclemore's Bowie and Big Knife Fighting.

James Keating has quite a bit of Bowie content.

Inkwell 41
12-03-2020, 04:21 PM

WOW! That is nice.

Is the clip sharpened?

Poconnor
12-03-2020, 04:50 PM
The clip is sharpened and the knife is scary sharp. It is surprisingly light in your hand.

Inkwell 41
12-17-2020, 04:27 PM
The clip is sharpened and the knife is scary sharp. It is surprisingly light in your hand.

I found a video on Vilar's IG where he cuts a soda can in half with a quick slice, using the clip of one of his Hells Belles.

Impressive.

SeriousStudent
12-17-2020, 08:37 PM

I love his work. I am so happy he relocated to the US. :)

UNM1136
12-18-2020, 05:58 PM

https://youtu.be/pusZXECS0mM

Mo' than 'nuff said. Picture popping a boner and running out of skin....

pat

Poconnor
12-29-2020, 02:29 PM
Arizona Custom Knives recently had two used Bagwell Bowie’s for sale. They went fast.