PDA

View Full Version : PMags in a WASR-10

LockedBreech
01-30-2018, 04:11 PM
I have Googled this topic a bit, but am unable to find anything approaching an authoritative answer.

I bought a 2017-production WASR-10 as my first AK and picked it up today. It came with a Magpul PMAG AK/AKM. I had also bought three more in preparation, assuming the PMAG would work since, you know, one came with the gun.

In short, they don't work. I tried two different magazines, the one that came with it and one of my own. To get them seated takes significant effort and even then they're not really "seated" - not far enough up for the bolt to strip out a round.

Removing them is a comical ordeal, I actually had to step on the AK-47 and pull with both hands while hitting the magazine release.

Soooo...is there a fix to this, am I doing some basic thing wrong in terms of putting AK-47 magazines in (I am putting the front in first and such, and the magazine has "clicked" into place a few times successfully)? Or do I just need to trade these PMags for something else? Which would suck since I only finally got an AK due to PMAG availability.

I checked for front sight canting and everything else, and the gun looks and feels much nicer than I was expecting for a WASR-10, but I did not think to check magazine fit of the magazine that came with the darn gun before accepting the transfer.

Shoulda just waited and got the flippin' Arsenal, but it's only for range toy use anyway.

Hizzie
01-30-2018, 04:25 PM
Magwell fit is still something that needs to be checked on the Mighty WASR. Are they tight on the side or lug in the rear?

I have a WASR. It loves the AK PMAG’s. So do all of my AK’s. They have been great for me regardless of country.

Try a few surplus mags before you go grinding on anything.

LockedBreech
01-30-2018, 04:27 PM
Magwell fit is still something that needs to be checked on the Mighty WASR. Are they tight on the side or lug in the rear?

I have a WASR. It loves the AK PMAG’s. So do all of my AK’s. They have been great for me regardless of country.

Try a few surplus mags before you go grinding on anything.

The gouges/tightness are on the sides, toward the front, I'll take pictures later.

Got any thinner surplus ones you're looking to trade for literally new PMags that might have a gouge or two? Haha.

Talionis
01-30-2018, 05:07 PM
The gouges/tightness are on the sides, toward the front, I'll take pictures later.

Sounds like the Century monkeys didn't mill out your magwell properly. It's known to happen on Century imported WASR's, though usually they tend to err on the side of "hotdog down a hallway" for magwells. They start life as a single stack gun, and are opened up at Century once they are in the US. Do you have a set of calipers? Dimensions might prove illuminating.

Hizzie
01-30-2018, 05:09 PM
Shoulda just waited and got the flippin' Arsenal, but it's only for range toy use anyway.

Honestly? Unless you’re stepping into a SAM7 I don’t think there is the greatest of difference between a WASR and SLR107. I traded my SLR107CR away.

LockedBreech
01-30-2018, 06:37 PM
Honestly? Unless you’re stepping into a SAM7 I don’t think there is the greatest of difference between a WASR and SLR107. I traded my SLR107CR away.

SAM7 was the one on my radar. If I end up having a lot of fun with the WASR I'll step up to it.

LockedBreech
01-30-2018, 07:45 PM
Well, I got a Pmag to work. Still with scraping at the edges, and still with some man handling, but I think it just has a very very stiff magazine release and a very tight mag well. As long as the pmag damage is just cosmetic and doesn’t impact the follower or anything, I think I may be okay. Was able to manually cycle rounds okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LockedBreech
01-30-2018, 07:45 PM
Sounds like the Century monkeys didn't mill out your magwell properly. It's known to happen on Century imported WASR's, though usually they tend to err on the side of "hotdog down a hallway" for magwells. They start life as a single stack gun, and are opened up at Century once they are in the US. Do you have a set of calipers? Dimensions might prove illuminating.

I don’t, but good excuse to buy some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warpedcamshaft
01-31-2018, 08:25 AM
US poly Mags run on the large end from what I understand.

I have an atlantic arms qc - checked WASR that works well with both US poly mags and steel mags... and I think that it is a good choice for a basic battlefield pickup familiarization rifle.

Just seeing what the AK operators union has gotten out of their WASR is impressive.

the WASR is better than it was in the 08 era, but each rifle still needs to be checked IMO.

HCM
01-31-2018, 09:40 AM
US poly Mags run on the large end from what I understand.

I have an atlantic arms qc - checked WASR that works well with both US poly mags and steel mags... and I think that it is a good choice for a basic battlefield pickup familiarization rifle.

Just seeing what the AK operators union has gotten out of their WASR is impressive.

the WASR is better than it was in the 08 era, but each rifle still needs to be checked IMO.

The Atlantic Arms QC checked is the only WASR I would buy /order without putting hands on due to variances in the mag wells, canted front Sights etc.

Otherwise, finding a gunshow or dealer with a few in stock and picking the best of the bunch is the way to go.

LockedBreech
01-31-2018, 10:54 AM
The Atlantic Arms QC checked is the only WASR I would buy /order without putting hands on due to variances in the mag wells, canted front Sights etc.

Otherwise, finding a gunshow or dealer with a few in stock and picking the best of the bunch is the way to go.

I took a chance and fortunately my sight is aligned perfectly. With the exception of this one issue, I'm rather impressed with this 2017-production WASR versus ones I've handled at gun stores. Particularly, the finish quality is great versus what I was expecting.

After messing around with the rifle all night, I think I might be okay now. Just repeatedly working the magazine release all night and inserting the magazine all night seemed to loosen things up a bit. It may have been the release more than the tightness of the well that was holding things up.

In the future yes, I'd recommend people buy their WASRs through Atlantic (just like I was told to do but I'm stubborn). That said, I am happier with this purchase after taking a night to work out this kink.

Talionis
01-31-2018, 11:33 AM
I took a chance and fortunately my sight is aligned perfectly. With the exception of this one issue, I'm rather impressed with this 2017-production WASR versus ones I've handled at gun stores. Particularly, the finish quality is great versus what I was expecting.

After messing around with the rifle all night, I think I might be okay now. Just repeatedly working the magazine release all night and inserting the magazine all night seemed to loosen things up a bit. It may have been the release more than the tightness of the well that was holding things up.

In the future yes, I'd recommend people buy their WASRs through Atlantic (just like I was told to do but I'm stubborn). That said, I am happier with this purchase after taking a night to work out this kink.

Glad it's working out for you. I recommend the WASR to friends looking to get into AK's if they don't want to pay new Arsenal money, or wait for a good used gun to pop up. It is definitely better to start out on the tight side for the mag well than the opposite end of the spectrum. It is always easier to remove material than add it back. Do yourself a favor and put an ALG AKT trigger in it as soon as practical. A cheap upgrade that makes the trigger on an AK amazing.

1slow
01-31-2018, 12:37 PM
WASRs were converted from a narrower 10 round mag I believe. The magwell needs to be cleaned up. Once this is done they are OK as to mag fit.

Look at a preban AK or an Arsenal to see what needs to be filed. The ones I worked on needed relieving in the back corners of the magwell such that the mag catch is the farthest forward portion of the rear edge of the magwell. Width of magwell may need work. I used flat files for the sides and round chainsaw files for the back corners.

warpedcamshaft
02-01-2018, 02:34 AM
This video provides a good insight into how AK's enter our country: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbUrsTWtzIA

(mag-well closed, plywood thumb-hole stock, welded muzzle device) (If you live in the US... don't buy an AK unless you own a quality AR)

It is easy to understand how importers could easily screw things up from this point. (I also wouldn't buy any current US-made AK... I'd take a WASR before a PSA AK or US made Century AK)

The AK market stateside has narrowed really quickly with recent bans... I am not sure I even trust stamped AK's from Arsenal at this point .

MSparks909
02-01-2018, 09:40 AM
This video provides a good insight into how AK's enter our country: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbUrsTWtzIA

(mag-well closed, plywood thumb-hole stock, welded muzzle device) (If you live in the US... don't buy an AK unless you own a quality AR)

It is easy to understand how importers could easily screw things up from this point. (I also wouldn't buy any current US-made AK... I'd take a WASR before a PSA AK or US made Century AK)

The AK market stateside has narrowed really quickly with recent bans... I am not sure I even trust stamped AK's from Arsenal at this point .

Funny you mention Arsenal’s. Just read this thread last night. Apparently some of the newer SLRs are having issues. Hope cross posting is allowed. If not, I apologize mods:

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331709

Casual Friday
02-01-2018, 08:00 PM
WASR's are great base rifles if done properly. If a tight magwell with a Pmag is the only issue, I wouldn't fret. Tight with surplus mags and I'd be concerned.

LockedBreech
02-02-2018, 04:47 PM
Well, just to update the thread, I have taken the rifle shooting, about a hundred break-in rounds without issue and after lots and lots of repetition the mag fit and mag release function are excellent. I may have just had a very tight new rifle, which overall is a good thing. No issues anymore. Now that this one issue is fixed, I am very happy with the rifle.

As to the comment in this thread not to buy an AK unless you already own a quality AR, not to fret, my home-defense setup remains my Daniel Defense M4V1 with Lancer L5AWM and Streamlight TLR-1. This was purely for fun, and with the sole issue (thus far) resolved, I am having fun indeed.

LockedBreech
02-02-2018, 04:54 PM
I also want to note that I paid over-market on a WASR for this rifle, around $700. Bud's had a few different WASRs listed and this was the most expensive basic AK-pattern full-capacity they had listed. I didn't want to get cheaped out, and I only wanted this AK for fun and had no special need to save $100 when I shoot that in a range trip, so I went ahead and paid a little more than I needed to. For what it's worth, it certainly feels like $700 worth of rifle to me and subjectively speaking I am satisfied.

Hizzie
02-02-2018, 05:49 PM
Indian > Arrow

I’ve taken AK’s to Sage Dynamics, CSAT and Presscheck Consulting. I did better than most of the AR boys. AR, AK, FAL or M1Garand. Use whatever you can make hits with.

LockedBreech
02-02-2018, 06:59 PM
Indian > Arrow

I’ve taken AK’s to Sage Dynamics, CSAT and Presscheck Consulting. I did better than most of the AR boys. AR, AK, FAL or M1Garand. Use whatever you can make hits with.

Good advice I may need to keep in mind later, as this AK has given me quite an infatuation after my first range session. I am very fond of it. Feels solid as a brick and shoots as well as I do.

Casual Friday
02-02-2018, 08:57 PM
Good advice I may need to keep in mind later, as this AK has given me quite an infatuation after my first range session. I am very fond of it. Feels solid as a brick and shoots as well as I do.

I've said it another thread here recently, but buying an AK really reignited the passion to train with a long gun again.

Bigghoss
02-02-2018, 11:03 PM
When I hold an AK in my hands
I get feels I don't understand...

I got a WASR 10 that has a magwell a little on the loose side but other than that has been perfect. My .308 Saiga is just stupid good fun and I have a braced Zastava M92 pistol. I really want a 5.45 or a 5.56 with just a small red dot on the gas tube and a cantaliver light mount, KISS style.

Sherman A. House DDS
02-03-2018, 12:34 AM
I have two AK’s, both Steyr made MAADI (Egyptian) AKM’s. They are FABULOUS and quite exceptional compared to the run-of-the-mill lower end AK’s that are everywhere now. Mine are relatively stock, and low tech, and with the exception of Vickers slings, run in their OEM configurations. One has a 20” low profile barrel.

They both work snugly and easily with 20 and 30 round PMAGs.

civiliandefender.com

Sherman A. House DDS
02-03-2018, 12:36 AM

Good video. Glad to see AJ Styles has hobbies outside of professional wrestling.

civiliandefender.com

HCM
02-03-2018, 12:53 AM
Good video. Glad to see AJ Styles has hobbies outside of professional wrestling.

civiliandefender.com

Was it just me is is the guy in the video blind ?

Talionis
02-03-2018, 02:12 AM

He is. His AK knowledge is impressive, just wouldn't rely on him for shooting advice.

Casual Friday
02-03-2018, 07:37 AM

He is. His AK knowledge is impressive, just wouldn't rely on him for shooting advice.

Yeah Misha is an encyclopedia of AK knowledge. He's a regular over at the AK Files. He has some sort of Skynet device that reads the internet to him and he speaks into it and it types it.

Hizzie
02-03-2018, 08:14 AM
I have two AK’s, both Steyr made MAADI (Egyptian) AKM’s. They are FABULOUS and quite exceptional compared to the run-of-the-mill lower end AK’s that are everywhere now. Mine are relatively stock, and low tech, and with the exception of Vickers slings, run in their OEM configurations. One has a 20” low profile barrel.

They both work snugly and easily with 20 and 30 round PMAGs.

civiliandefender.com

I really like the VCAS on AK’s. All of my AK’ wear them. I have two of the Vickers limited edition slings (V5, V6) but the rest are regular models. I like the newest version of their polymer hardware. It adjusts much easier than the old stuff. I think the new heavy duty “belt fed Loop” might be my favorite for attaching to the oem sling mount on HG retainer. OEM rear sling points suck. I am trying a few different ways to attach to the rear of the buttstock. On the SF’s I have a paracord loop on one and a BFG Universal Wire Loop on the other. The WASR has an IWC Micro Flush QD installed on the charging handle side near the buttplate.

Guerrero
02-03-2018, 08:21 AM
+1 on the VCAS. I have the limited edition V3 on mine.

Bigghoss
02-03-2018, 08:35 AM
Found a WASR-10 on Armslist. Gonna go grab it after work if it looks alright.

HCM
02-03-2018, 11:07 AM

Ok - I just noticed his body language.

Bigghoss
02-03-2018, 02:21 PM
D'oh! Drove an hour to look at a WASR-10, when I got to the store they actually had two (both used). One was a little older with a flat black parkerized finish (I think) and laminated wood stock but I could see the front sight was canted. The other was more recent and in really nice shape and the front sight didn't look canted in the store so I bought it for $565 OTD. Got home and then I noticed it, the front sight is indeed canted. Not sure how I missed it but I did. Also, because this is Colorado, the rifle didn't come with a mag so I couldn't check the magwell until I got home. The opening it spot-on for fit but the mag release is too tight and you have to tap it with something to drop the mag. This will probably wear in if I work it enough but I think I might just take it back. Their store policy is if I find something wrong within a week they'll either try to fix it or exchange it for store credit and they had a couple pistols I was interested in.

If they'll fix the front sight I might make them an offer on the other WASR they have.

Hizzie
02-03-2018, 03:35 PM
FS can’t isnt a huge deal. If it zeroes then GTG.

Bigghoss
02-03-2018, 04:31 PM
FS can’t isnt a huge deal. If it zeroes then GTG.

I'll take it out tomorrow and see what it does.

Bigghoss
02-03-2018, 07:25 PM
I had also forgotten about possibly defective safeties that let the hammer drop when you try to take them out. I was reminded by the hammer falling and striking my the tip of my middle finger leaving me a very painful but small blood blister. Luckily the defect is in the safety lever itself so I can just grab one of my take-offs for the trip to the range so I can decide what I want to do with the thing.

Casual Friday
02-03-2018, 08:05 PM
Make sure you can zero it with the front sight cant and replace the safety lever and you'll be good to go.

Bigghoss
02-03-2018, 08:42 PM
Even if I have to pay a gunsmith to fix the front sight I didn't loose my ass on the thing. Even if I can zero it (the front sight is drifted to the right which I should have noticed) I'll probably get it fixed eventually just because I'm nit picky like that. It's one of those things I can't unsee. I have extra safety levers or I can fix the one that came with the gun, if it has trigger slap I have a Tapco G2 trigger that I had in my other WASR for the same issue that I later replaced with the AKT. The mag catch just needs a light touch with some medium sandpaper at most or just spend some time locking in and releasing mags.

I saved maybe $200 over ordering a new one from Atlantic Firearms. I'm on the fence if it was worth it or not.

Casual Friday
02-04-2018, 08:27 AM
Even if I have to pay a gunsmith to fix the front sight I didn't loose my ass on the thing. Even if I can zero it (the front sight is drifted to the right which I should have noticed) I'll probably get it fixed eventually just because I'm nit picky like that. It's one of those things I can't unsee. I have extra safety levers or I can fix the one that came with the gun, if it has trigger slap I have a Tapco G2 trigger that I had in my other WASR for the same issue that I later replaced with the AKT. The mag catch just needs a light touch with some medium sandpaper at most or just spend some time locking in and releasing mags.

I saved maybe $200 over ordering a new one from Atlantic Firearms. I'm on the fence if it was worth it or not.

For me I'd consider it worth it, but I'm a tinkerer and don't mind it unless it's a brand new gun. Occasionally there's more going on than just the FS being canted. Fast forward to about the 5:30 mark and Jim goes over it.

https://youtu.be/mP5cfOLOtZw

warpedcamshaft
02-04-2018, 09:49 AM
I had also forgotten about possibly defective safeties that let the hammer drop when you try to take them out. I was reminded by the hammer falling and striking my the tip of my middle finger leaving me a very painful but small blood blister. Luckily the defect is in the safety lever itself so I can just grab one of my take-offs for the trip to the range so I can decide what I want to do with the thing.

That’s not a defective part... it is a full auto safety in a semi auto gun. Jim fuller has a diy video about removing the material to stop that from happening.

Hizzie
02-04-2018, 09:55 AM
IIRC that new CMC drop in trigger pack requires a FA safety.

Bigghoss
02-04-2018, 10:00 AM
IIRC that new CMC drop in trigger pack requires a FA safety.

I wasn't familiar with those so I did a quick google. For what they cost I don't need a drop-in pack. I've done a Tapco G2 and two AKT's so installing a regular trigger group isn't a big deal.

Hizzie
02-04-2018, 10:05 AM
I wasn't familiar with those so I did a quick google. For what they cost I don't need a drop-in pack. I've done a Tapco G2 and two AKT's so installing a regular trigger group isn't a big deal.

I haven’t tried them. Two people I respect have shot both and consider the CMC to truly be that much better.

Bigghoss
02-04-2018, 10:21 AM
I haven’t tried them. Two people I respect have shot both and consider the CMC to truly be that much better.

They probably are for whatever reason. But I seriously doubt it'll ever make a difference to me.

I'm looking over the WASR some more, the reason I didn't notice the front sight cant in the gun store is because it's not canted much if at all. The ears on the tower are uneven so when I took a sight picture it looks lopsided. I was too busy making sure the tower was straight to actually look through the sights I guess. Don't I feel dumb. The rear sight looks pretty good too. I'm going to slap on a larger PG to fit my hand better and swap in one of the safety levers I have laying around and take it to the range this afternoon. If all goes well I'll work on the tight mag release when I get back, assuming it doesn't wear in at the range.

Hizzie
02-04-2018, 03:39 PM
I'll take it out tomorrow and see what it does.

So how’d the range go?

Bigghoss
02-04-2018, 06:57 PM
So how’d the range go?

Weather was shit so I didn't go.