PDA

View Full Version : I can't tell if serious or not --

RevolverRob
01-29-2018, 04:10 PM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/22/dead-air-armament-kns/

I honestly can't tell if I'm supposed to take this idea seriously or not. I can't imagine a world in which the hinge mechanism and detent holding these sights up when flipped "up" can actually stay up for longer than 15 or 20 rounds of shooting.

We're not talking about flip-up rifle sights here, where you have room to build a more robust mechanism to hold them upright...The front sight in particular looks dinky, like a Lego. If you snag the edge of the front sight coming out of the holster, will it flip up? Better start by aiming at someone's crotch....:rolleyes:

But, I've honestly never snagged suppressor height sights on anything, so maybe it's a mute point? Properly sighted suppressor height sights still seem like the best option.

s0nspark
01-29-2018, 04:32 PM
That just seems... goofy.

Peally
01-29-2018, 04:35 PM
I'm confused why this is a needed thing, suppressor sights still work when there's no suppressor attached.

LSP552
01-29-2018, 04:40 PM
I'm confused why this is a needed thing, suppressor sights still work when there's no suppressor attached.

Are you associating logic with that pic?

critter
01-29-2018, 04:51 PM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/01/22/dead-air-armament-kns/

I honestly can't tell if I'm supposed to take this idea seriously or not. I can't imagine a world in which the hinge mechanism and detent holding these sights up when flipped "up" can actually stay up for longer than 15 or 20 rounds of shooting.

We're not talking about flip-up rifle sights here, where you have room to build a more robust mechanism to hold them upright...The front sight in particular looks dinky, like a Lego. If you snag the edge of the front sight coming out of the holster, will it flip up? Better start by aiming at someone's crotch....:rolleyes:

But, I've honestly never snagged suppressor height sights on anything, so maybe it's a mute point? Properly sighted suppressor height sights still seem like the best option.

it can't be a mute point because you're talking about it. ;-)

Really, that seems a solution questing for a problem. I know of no one who has problems with suppressor sights. It would make a little more (though not much) sense were an RDS involved. Looks can be decieving, but yeah, that front sight doesn't *look* like it would withstand much abuse.

Caballoflaco
01-29-2018, 05:51 PM
Things like this and the alien gear fan holster make me wonder.

Maybe one of the engineers on here can give me an answer. During engineering/design school do professors ever assign the students a project where the only correct answer is no, that's a stupid idea, here's a list of reasons why? That would seem to be an important lesson to teach.

Edster
01-29-2018, 08:05 PM
Things like this and the alien gear fan holster make me wonder.

Maybe one of the engineers on here can give me an answer. During engineering/design school do professors ever assign the students a project where the only correct answer is no, that's a stupid idea, here's a list of reasons why? That would seem to be an important lesson to teach.

Only if they offered a similar project in Marketing class.

Hambo
01-29-2018, 08:28 PM
it can't be a mute point because you're talking about it. ;-) :cool:

Marketing runs the company and the guy selling guns used work in the vacuum cleaner industry, and he knew just as much about them as he does about guns.

gtae07
01-29-2018, 08:47 PM

At least in my experience, no. Thst would require professors to think about real-world concerns, and too many (though not all) are too enamored with theory and academics.

Some good programs have a "design" class where they disassemble things and discus why things were done the way they were, even dowwn to little almost-insignificant parts and features.

In this case, I can at least see why someone would come up with the idea ("hey, rifles have backup irons for their optics, why not pistols?"), and I'm always a fan of real testing over thought experiments. You always learn something from them, amd sometimes you get results you wouldn't have anticipated.

HCM
01-30-2018, 12:50 AM
It is just a sloppy poorly written article by TFB and/or a marketing fail on the part of Dead Air or KNS.

These are intended as flip up back up sights for RDS pistols - not as a replacement for suppressor sights on iron sighted guns.

The RDS should be your primary suppressor sight.

JRB
01-30-2018, 12:26 PM
The whole need seems contrived and very unrealistic. It's one thing to have backup sights for a rifle due to the range involved with 'use a rifle' sorts of problems. Also, the rifle itself is larger and prominently cumbersome when you're jumping/diving/tumbling/trying not to die/etc, thus more likely to bang an optic on something and break it.

Ostensibly, if you're so high-speed that you're using an RDS/Suppressed pistol, you're starting that fight with a long gun of some kind. The sequence of failure involved to deadline your long gun, then drop your RDS on your pistol, then need backup sights on your pistol because you're engaging further than easy point targets, and somehow have the time to diddle with flip up sights on a pistol but not the time to bring a rifle back into the fight, etc...

I'm just not seeing how this is 'a thing' for anyone other than instagram challenge coin types. A true solution in search of a problem.
But it'll sell and selling is all that matters, I guess, even if it's to buyers that doubtlessly spend more time taking pictures of their guns than shooting them, and don't spend nearly enough time in the gym. So yes, it's moot.