PDA

View Full Version : First uspsa classifier match and some questions

Grouse870
01-26-2018, 07:34 PM
So I signed up for my first classifier match this weekend. I’ve gone through the rules so I think I have my class right which I think is limited since I will be shooting my duty gun (S&W M&P .40 long slide) which has grip tape and a gun light which I think qualifies for production but I run my mags forward of my hip which puts me in the limited class. I hope I have that right? And since it’s a .40 shooting factory 180 grain loads it should be major? So it’s a 4 stage classifier but I’m not sure of the round count any idea how much I should bring? I will be running an als/sls holster with a leg strap for stability (it’s not a drop leg) which I think is legal. Eventually I would like to set up a dedicated belt for this but I happened to have a day off that lined up with this match. Also if I change guns after this match will that effect any future matches? (assuming I don’t dq myself and qualify) I want to pick up an M&P 2.0 5” in 9mm once the one without the safety and lci becomes available. Any tips or things not to do?

olstyn
01-26-2018, 08:14 PM
Limited Major should be correct for that setup, yes. (Edit to add: Actually, the flashlight technically has to come off - it's specifically forbidden in both Limited and Production, though at a local match they may or may not enforce that.)

Regarding how much ammo to bring, 4 classifier stages is probably only about 50-70 rounds, tops. The majority of classifiers are some variation on draw, shoot 6 rounds, mandatory reload, shoot 6 more. There are of course exceptions, but if you show up with loaded mags and a 50 or 100 round box of ammo, you should have ammo left over when you're done.

Changing guns later won't be a problem; the only thing is that 9mm isn't allowed to make Major in Limited, so you'll be incentivized to strive for good hits even more.

Tips on what to do and what not to do:

1. Arrive early enough to help with setup if you can, and stay late enough to help with teardown unless you absolutely must leave earlier. The people who run the match will appreciate it, and it never hurts, especially as a new guy, to have the people there like you. :)

2. Be ok with the fact that USPSA can be a humbling experience, and don't let yourself be too discouraged if you don't place highly in your first few matches. Get to know the skilled shooters and learn from them. In my experience, the vast majority of them are friendly and helpful.

3. Remember that it's a game/sport and treat it as such.

4. Especially given that this is a classifier match, strive to shoot cleanly and accurately. Speed matters, but given the small number of targets in most classifier stages, deltas get costly quickly, and mikes are right out.

5. Have fun and be safe.

Clusterfrack
01-26-2018, 08:56 PM
olstyn's suggestions are spot on. Classifiers can eff with your head, and make good shooters go full retard.

I suggest focusing on shooting As (and Cs). If you treat it like any other match, and try to maximize your points, you'll end up placing well.

If you want to prepare, dry fire some draws and reloads. If you've got reliable reloads and a decent draw, that will make a big difference.

Now, the most important advice: ignore everyone else's scores and times. Forget what it sounds like like when an Open GM shoots the classifier. If someone tells you how fast you need to shoot it, walk away. Your job is to shoot Alphas and Charlies.

Have fun!

D.O.A.F.S.
01-26-2018, 09:09 PM
I deleted what I had posted because olstyn and Cluterfrack said it better. Enjoy the match and have fun.

Grouse870
01-26-2018, 09:27 PM
Thanks guy I appreciate it. I’ve shot a few steel challenge matches and enjoyed it but uspsa seems like a lot of fun.

nwhpfan
01-27-2018, 04:08 AM
5.2.8Competitors deemed by the Match Director to be full-time law enforcement officers with arrest powers or military personnel on current active duty orders, may be entitled to use their duty holsters or similar holster and related equipment when such equipment does not strictly satisfy the equipment or other requirements of the declared Division. The Range Master will remain the final authority in respect of the safety and suitability of using such equipment at USPSA matches. The use of such equipment, except as otherwise permitted in the rules, is restricted to Level I matches only.

Your gear shouldn't be a problem. The flashlight rule in USPSA is outdated and misguided. If you must, pull out the bulb and you are fine. If its OK for Bob Vogel should be OK for you.

Look at a few classifiers and run them ahead of time. Either dry or live and get an idea of how fast and how accurate you need to be. As an LEO I was surprised at how accurate and SLOW I was from years of an overemphasis on accuracy without regard for time that left me lacking in awareness.

Grouse870
01-28-2018, 07:07 PM
So I just got my results we shot 4 stages tick-tock, can you count, quicki 2, riverdale standard. I placed third in the limited division. I had a lot of fun no misses I had 62 A’s, 17 C’s, 1 D, and no misses I had way more A than first place but I was a lot slower than him as well ( I was the slowest in the class but shot the most A’s I have to brag a little bit right?) I think I know what a lot of my issues are. My reloads were ok but I’m not used to dropping an almost full mag so I was concentrating on my round count a lot, I wasn’t tracking my sights that well either since I shot my duty gun it has standard 3 dot tritium sights which work but I don’t shoot them very well at speed. I’m sure I have a few more issues as well but I really enjoyed myself everyone was great. I can see myself doing this a lot more I’m going to join uspsa and hopefully go to the next match next month. Now I just need to look at getting a new gun (don’t want to wear out my work gun ��)

olstyn
01-28-2018, 09:17 PM
Nice shooting; you got 95% of the available points, which is right about where you want to be. If you can maintain that accuracy as you get faster in the future, you'll be in very good shape.

nwhpfan
01-29-2018, 03:50 AM
So I just got my results we shot 4 stages tick-tock, can you count, quicki 2, riverdale standard. I placed third in the limited division. I had a lot of fun no misses I had 62 A’s, 17 C’s, 1 D, and no misses I had way more A than first place but I was a lot slower than him as well ( I was the slowest in the class but shot the most A’s I have to brag a little bit right?) I think I know what a lot of my issues are. My reloads were ok but I’m not used to dropping an almost full mag so I was concentrating on my round count a lot, I wasn’t tracking my sights that well either since I shot my duty gun it has standard 3 dot tritium sights which work but I don’t shoot them very well at speed. I’m sure I have a few more issues as well but I really enjoyed myself everyone was great. I can see myself doing this a lot more I’m going to join uspsa and hopefully go to the next match next month. Now I just need to look at getting a new gun (don’t want to wear out my work gun ��)

I shot my first match with my duty gun -

6 months later I had a dedicated competition gun and a Dillon 550.

Grouse870
01-29-2018, 10:30 PM
Yeah I already talked my wife into getting a new gun. But it’s not available yet (S&W M&P 2.0 5” without thumb safety and lci) but hopefully in the next month or so I’ll have a dedicated steel challenge/ uspsa limited gun.