PDA

View Full Version : P30 Competition Sights

F-Trooper05
03-08-2011, 01:38 AM
Just looked at the HK shooting team Twitter page and this was their latest post...

"we are currently using the stock sights. We're working with 2 manufacturers regarding OEM competition sights. Great question!"

http://twitter.com/#!/HKProShooting

JV_
03-08-2011, 06:25 AM
I hope these other options are cheaper than Heinie.

gtmtnbiker98
03-08-2011, 08:40 AM
I hope these other options are cheaper than Heinie.Me too.

vecdran
03-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Please for the love of all that is holy, I hope one of them is a fiber front blacked out rear. Heinies are fantastic for carry, but I'd like more options for my competition P30L...

BMWM3P
03-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Please for the love of all that is holy, I hope one of them is a fiber front blacked out rear. Heinies are fantastic for carry, but I'd like more options for my competition P30L...

+1

Seeing as they are being developed for their shooting team they should be. I just hope this is not a long term project.

Nikuraba29
03-09-2011, 12:27 PM
+1

Seeing as they are being developed for their shooting team they should be. I just hope this is not a long term project.

Called Ameriglo a couple of weeks ago after getting my HKP30, I am real big fan of the Hackathorn sights. They said that they have no intention of producing P30 sights because HK is very finiicky about releasing the specs and that retooling a machine to produce makes them currently cost prohibitive. Hopefully, the HK shooting team can help facilitate a larger variety of sights.

S/F

Glock17
08-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Bummer, those are my favorite sights.
S/F

JM Campbell
08-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Check again, my last email reply from them said they would be out in a few months so August/September should be about the time.

Dawson Precision has tritium and fiber for the P30L, I am not sure if there is a size difference between the longslide and P30 sights.

DP Rear Sight
DP Black Serrated Fixed Rear Sight for HK P30L Cut, .140" Notch, Requires .170" Tall Front Sight 018-150

DP Front Sight
DP Tritium Inserted Front Sight for HK P30L, .170 Tall x .125 Wide, Match with DP or Factory Fixed Rear 020-325

$$$ NOTE:$$$$ the rear sight is not serrated as the above description states, it is smooth faced.

I purchased the above set and hopefully will have them installed soon.

JM Campbell
09-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Just installed them today. Not hard at all the front post was tight but manageable with the included punch. Rear was super easy with set screw for tension.

Sight picture is a vast improvement over stock sights. Hopefully I'll be able to test them out on Monday if my schedule allows.

JohnN
09-10-2011, 11:52 PM
You didn't have any issues removing the stock sights?

Did you have to fit the sights in any way or just drift them in the dovetail with the punch.

JM Campbell
09-11-2011, 09:22 AM
You didn't have any issues removing the stock sights?

Did you have to fit the sights in any way or just drift them in the dovetail with the punch.

The stock sights where a little bit of pain to remove, I used the supplied aluminum punches (one for front and one for rear), I found the front sight punch worked better to remove the rear. I used a large shop bench vise to hold the slide. Front sight came off easiest left to right (ejection port side) and installed in reverse. The rear was in there pretty darn good so I switched back to the front sight punch (supplied rear sight punch has a derlin/plastic tip and would slide off of the sight). I went right (ejection port side) to left to remove and installed in the same way right to left.

The rear Dawson slid right in and was very easy to set up (arrow on bottom to show install direction) set up the loc-tight (I used red) on the base of the set screw and threads and tightened her down.

Edit: I performed no fitting to the Dawson sights, they where good to go out of the package.
The front Dawson sight fit very tight into the dovetail and just needed to be tapped into place with the supplied punch while making sure it was squared up and not going in at a slight angle.

I used a 3lb sledge when it got tough on removal and a small ball ping hammer 1/4lb to do the the light more controlled alignment taps to line up front sight (when it was about 3/4 of the way installed into the dovetail).

Honestly took about 10 minutes and it was my first sight install.

JohnN
09-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks Skyline, I ordered a front sight from Dawson and will attempt to install it myself.

JM Campbell
09-26-2011, 04:01 PM
I've got 300 WWB 115gr down the pipe and another 100 ZRA9B 147gr bonded JHP carry ammo (bought this for carry ammo practice since it's the same as my carry ammo just police overstock/old ammo sold at a reduced price).

I'm really liking the sights, I find it faster then the stock rejects and for me a lot less confusing at speed not dealing with the large 3 iluma dots screaming for my eyes attention.

I just need to find some Heinies to compare.

POA/POI was spot on at 20 yards with the 147gr and just a tad lower with the 115gr wwb.

JohnN
09-27-2011, 12:28 AM
I am using the stock rear sight with the rear dots painted over and a Dawson Red Fiber Optic .115 front painted florescent orange. Worked great through Get SOM/Speed Kills this weekend (any lack of performance cannot be held against the sights), very clear distinct sight picture with a lot of contrast and plenty of light on either side of the front sight. Originally planned on grabbing some Heinie's but they don't seem to be able to keep them in stock. May just use this setup until 10-8 comes out with their rear sight which can be used with the stock height front.

JM Campbell
09-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Now that's an idea, keep us informed on the 10-8 rear sight please.

JohnN
10-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Now that's an idea, keep us informed on the 10-8 rear sight please.

According to 10-8 Performance they are about 12 weeks out on releasing the sight.

In my experience, they are usually fairly close on time-frame estimates.

According to Apex they are still planning on releasing upgrade parts for the HK P30/HK45 series.