PDA

View Full Version : Weatherby shrugs & leaves California for Wyoming

LittleLebowski
01-26-2018, 12:22 PM
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/business/article196267119.html

Specialty rifle manufacturer Weatherby Inc. — a Paso Robles mainstay for decades — has announced it is relocating to Sheridan, Wyoming.

The company, which also manufactures ammunition and shooting accessories, announced its departure to the Cowboy State on Tuesday at a gun industry trade show in Las Vegas

Guerrero
01-26-2018, 12:25 PM
Shouldn't the headline be, "Weatherby bolts..."

;)

Lester Polfus
01-26-2018, 12:51 PM

;)

That would loose the Ayn Rand quotient tho...

blues
01-26-2018, 01:03 PM
Maybe they can set up a range near Ft. Phil Kearny.

I applaud the move.

RJ
01-26-2018, 01:05 PM
I think we drove past Sheridan on I90 Eastbound to Deadwood this summer. We picked up 90 after crossing the Bighorn Mountains on 14. Pretty country.

Wiki says it’s about 30k residents, I don’t recall much of the details as we passed through.

Good for Weatherby though; California is going to continue to see the exodus of firearm businesses given the attitude of the voters there.

LittleLebowski
01-26-2018, 02:17 PM
US Optics went to Montana from California.

Magpul went to Wyoming and Texas from Colorado.

Beretta from Maryland to Tennessee.

Now Weatherby to Wyoming from California.

Dagga Boy
01-26-2018, 02:30 PM
Sadly....it has gotten to this point. A close relative who was like a grandfather to me was a Charter Member of Safari Club Los Angeles. His regular hunting trio was him, Roy Weatherby and Jimmy Doolittle. His house full of trophy’s, including one of the last legal Polar Bears to be brought into the US, were all shot with custom built Weatherby rifles and he used various Weatherby Magnum calibers. Weatherby rifles was a deep part of the SoCal gun culture that included such legends as Pachmayr and others. The Great Western Gun Show was only equaled by Tulsa. Glad to see Weatherby move to a place where their craft and traditions will be respected and they will hopefully be successful in their new home.

RevolverRob
01-26-2018, 03:00 PM

;)

You "Dad Joke" game has been strong lately, man.

Clusterfrack
01-26-2018, 03:16 PM
Seriously. Fuck that state. Good job Weatherby.

Greg
01-26-2018, 03:28 PM
Congratulations Weatherby!

AHEM ..... Colt? Are you paying attention? Smith & Wesson?

Bueller?

Guerrero
01-26-2018, 03:52 PM
You "Dad Joke" game has been strong lately, man.Guilty as charged; my kids are now at appropriate "eye rolling" ages.

RevolverRob
01-26-2018, 04:14 PM

I'd love to see both of them leave Conn. and Mass. Especially Mass...where Smith & Wesson employees can barely own the products they make. :rolleyes:

Don't forget -

Kahr left NY for Pennsylvania and Remington left NY for Alabama.

Guilty as charged; my kids are now at appropriate "eye rolling" ages.

No kids for me, but I've been working on my game lately...gotta keep my wife on her toes. ;)

OlongJohnson
01-26-2018, 07:50 PM
California used to be a big part of what was great about America. Glad I was able to catch a little slice of it.

Hambo
01-26-2018, 08:13 PM
When was the last time Weatherby built anything in California?

Eastex
01-26-2018, 10:34 PM

Bueller?

I’ve always thought Colt ought to relocate to Texas given the history between them and the Texas Rangers from the days of the Patterson’s and Walkers up to the 1911s still carried by them today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shotgun
01-27-2018, 10:02 AM
I’ve always thought Colt ought to relocate to Texas given the history between them and the Texas Rangers from the days of the Patterson’s and Walkers up to the 1911s still carried by them today.

A little part was. Colt Competition, which made competition ARs as I understand it, was based in Breckenridge Texas. That little corner of Colt went out of business in late 2017. According to the news article, sales of their ARs dropped by 80% after Trump got elected. The demand just isn’t there because no one is afraid of an AR ban during a Trump Presidency.

Good for Weatherby on its move. It’s nice to see a business vote with its feet.

BehindBlueI's
01-27-2018, 10:21 AM
A little part was. Colt Competition, which made competition ARs as I understand it, was based in Breckenridge Texas. That little corner of Colt went out of business in late 2017. According to the news article, sales of their ARs dropped by 80% after Trump got elected. The demand just isn’t there because no one is afraid of an AR ban during a Trump Presidency.

Good for Weatherby on its move. It’s nice to see a business vote with its feet.

I could be wrong, but as I understand it "Colt Competition" had nothing to do with Colt other than paying a licencing fee.

Qaz98
01-27-2018, 10:35 AM

Bueller?

Unlike some smaller companies, Smith & Wesson, if it chose to play the long game, has a chance to win over the people of MA. Even though they are in the lion's den, I think we all agree that exposing people to firearms, with good instructors, and a friendly and non-hoorah environment, can make people converts.

So Smith & Wesson, which has this big academy for military and nonLEO, offers NOTHING for the civilian market. NOTHING. That blows my mind. At least, you can offer the people the standard firearms safety, concealed carry classes, and the such. What a great way to get people to buy your products and build brand loyalty. The one caveat, is that I don't know if there are any stupid MA laws that forbid S&W from offering classes to civilians. But if there is not any legal roadblock, I see no reason why S&W can't do it. I know the Sig Academy up in NH, does just that with its offerings.

If you're playing the long game - getting more gun owners in your state, flips the odds in your favor. Setting up shop in a new state is just as serious a long term commitment, so why not invest where you are? MA laws suck, because MA people who know nothing about firearms, vote anti2a people into power. Flip the switch - use your location and resources, to promote and encourage more responsible gun owners in your state - and suddenly, voters now become pro2a.

Greg
01-27-2018, 10:51 AM
You really believe S&W has the time or ability to convert a bunch of batshit crazy leftists?

All gun companies should move to free states, period.

CWM11B
01-27-2018, 10:59 AM
The S&W academy is pretty much a non entity in the LE training world. Their calender is virtually non existent (At least the last time I checked) and tuition was pretty much out of line with other entities. Travel to MA with firearms is pretty onerous from my understanding. NH is much more gun friendly (again, from my understanding, never been and have no plans to go) with a different political climate.
S&W is more concerned with making and selling guns. One of the contacts I had with the company said the academy needed a complete overhaul, but it was not a priority. The same guy told me when he was asked why vacant positions could not be filled, he told them no gun guys are going to move to MA, and especially not at the salary offerred. I was also told the move was seen as too cost prohibitive. I believe the only way their move would happen would be if MA outlawed the manufacture of firearms in the state. Probably not going to happen, as for all of their politicos whining about guns I have yet to hear they have refused to accept the tax revenue generated. Pretty sure that falls into the hypocrite category...

Qaz98
01-27-2018, 11:23 AM
You really believe S&W has the time or ability to convert a bunch of batshit crazy leftists?

All gun companies should move to free states, period.

That's my point. You can actually beat the leftists by converting centrists. How many times have you heard or experienced someone shooting a gun for the first time, and getting really into it? Most of MA is centrist - they've voted for Romney and Baker (a bit more of a RINO). It's really the leftists in Boston dominate the culture for the rest of of the state. Central and Western MA is pretty blue collar places.

And I know it's the easy thing to say to leave MA, MD, NY, NJ, CA - but you're not going to win the 2a battle like that. I saw a video today about how the new NJ governor is reverting it back to a specific threat for concealed carry. Hearing that video made me angry and gave me chills. Then again, 5 years ago, before I ever fired or owned a gun, I would have shrugged or even agreed. That's like most Americans.

fixer
01-27-2018, 11:28 AM
I was also told the move was seen as too cost prohibitive. I believe the only way their move would happen would be if MA outlawed the manufacture of firearms in the state. Probably not going to happen, as for all of their politicos whining about guns I have yet to hear they have refused to accept the tax revenue generated. Pretty sure that falls into the hypocrite category...

Beretta must be loaded with cash to be able to pull off their move with exigency, purpose, and a big middle finger to Maryland.

I guess my point is (arguing with the logic of S&W here) "cost-prohibitive" is a lame excuse for not taking measures to protect the business.

I don't have any in depth financial metrics for them but good lord what did they do with all that cash flow during the Obama-boom?

Kudos to Weatherby. Wyoming is a perfect place to start over.

May have to finally get a good bolt gun in .308.

Qaz98
01-27-2018, 11:30 AM
The S&W academy is pretty much a non entity in the LE training world. Their calender is virtually non existent (At least the last time I checked) and tuition was pretty much out of line with other entities. Travel to MA with firearms is pretty onerous from my understanding. NH is much more gun friendly (again, from my understanding, never been and have no plans to go) with a different political climate.
S&W is more concerned with making and selling guns. One of the contacts I had with the company said the academy needed a complete overhaul, but it was not a priority. The same guy told me when he was asked why vacant positions could not be filled, he told them no gun guys are going to move to MA, and especially not at the salary offerred. I was also told the move was seen as too cost prohibitive. I believe the only way their move would happen would be if MA outlawed the manufacture of firearms in the state. Probably not going to happen, as for all of their politicos whining about guns I have yet to hear they have refused to accept the tax revenue generated. Pretty sure that falls into the hypocrite category...

You'd actually be flying into Hartford, although, I don't think CT is much better.

It's a fair point, and I'm not saying it's easy - but I do believe that non gun owners can be converted with a safe, friendly, and non tactical experience - I see a lot of expensive gun ranges, doing very well out where I live in, because first timers can go, not feel scared by the typical gun shop experience, and enjoy themselves and get into it. These business must be doing well, since they basically sell guns for MSRP.

S&W, if it had any foresight or leadership, would rebrand that Academy, and it could be the hub for New England - get people in Western Mass, CT, southern VT, to come down - and learn and train. You mix it in with a factory tour or some historical tour, it becomes a travel destination. I've seen it happen in the bourbon industry. If all they care about is making and selling guns, they must be following the Remington business model.

And it's true - recruitment is impossible. That's why you have to build this program from the ground up, and create an indigenous population who are 2a enthusiasts.

My own two cents as a convert.

5pins
01-27-2018, 12:08 PM
My guess is the move had as much to do with business cost as it did with anti-gun atmosphere. When Buck knives moved to Idaho they said it was cheaper to bulid a new factory with new machinery and employees then it was to stay in CA.

xray 99
01-27-2018, 12:21 PM
When was the last time Weatherby built anything in California?

Are the Mark V rifles made in CA?

PNWTO
01-27-2018, 03:22 PM
Well, just another reason to order the new First Lite Vanguard when I can. Wife ain't gonna like this.

I'm thinking 6.5-300 ;)

CWM11B
01-27-2018, 04:39 PM
fixer, Beretta is family owned, like Glock. My Smith contacts told me buying out all the union contracts would kill them. That is the cost I was referenced. I should have been more clear.

@chingy, regardless of where you flew in, I
you would still have to drive in to MA. Problematic.

If the rebranding was financially viable, they would do it. Their primary focus is manufacturing guns. The marketing guys will tell you point blank that the average gun owner won't do what you suggest. Enthusiasts like those of us who populate this forum are the exception, not the rule. The bourbon trail comparison is probably not a good one, as drinking covers a much wider demographic than the shooting world does. I wish it was different, but it is what it is. I've asked some pretty direct questions to senior sales managers at Sig, Beretta, and S&W, and this is the picture they paint.

HCM
01-28-2018, 02:08 AM
Unlike some smaller companies, Smith & Wesson, if it chose to play the long game, has a chance to win over the people of MA. Even though they are in the lion's den, I think we all agree that exposing people to firearms, with good instructors, and a friendly and non-hoorah environment, can make people converts.

So Smith & Wesson, which has this big academy for military and nonLEO, offers NOTHING for the civilian market. NOTHING. That blows my mind. At least, you can offer the people the standard firearms safety, concealed carry classes, and the such. What a great way to get people to buy your products and build brand loyalty. The one caveat, is that I don't know if there are any stupid MA laws that forbid S&W from offering classes to civilians. But if there is not any legal roadblock, I see no reason why S&W can't do it. I know the Sig Academy up in NH, does just that with its offerings.

If you're playing the long game - getting more gun owners in your state, flips the odds in your favor. Setting up shop in a new state is just as serious a long term commitment, so why not invest where you are? MA laws suck, because MA people who know nothing about firearms, vote anti2a people into power. Flip the switch - use your location and resources, to promote and encourage more responsible gun owners in your state - and suddenly, voters now become pro2a.

Sorry but you are living in a fantasy world.

I grew up in the NE - what you are describing is not going to happen given the culture, demographics and stigmatization of gun ownership.

As stated earlier, the S&W Academy hasn’t been of any real significance in the training world since the 1980s.

Colt has looked into moving some or all of its operation to Florida in the past. I believe what keeps both Colt and S&W in place are the costs associated with moving or replacing skilled workers and union workers.

Some have pulled off these sorts of moves successfully. Beretta seems to be doing it with only minor hiccups. Marlin’s move out of CT under Remington’s control has been disasterous.

Hambo
01-28-2018, 08:28 AM
Are the Mark V rifles made in CA?

My bad, I thought they were still built by a subcontractor.

Sorry but you are living in a fantasy world.

I grew up in the NE - what you are describing is not going to happen given the culture, demographics and stigmatization of gun ownership.

As stated earlier, the S&W Academy hasn’t been of any real significance in the training world since the 1980s.

Colt has looked into moving some or all of its operation to Florida in the past. I believe what keeps both Colt and S&W in place are the costs associated with moving or replacing skilled workers and union workers.

Some have pulled off these sorts of moves successfully. Beretta seems to be doing it with only minor hiccups. Marlin’s move out of CT under Remington’s control has been disasterous.

S&W isn't going anywhere. When S&W bought Thompson Center they closed the NH facility and moved production to MA.

LittleLebowski
01-28-2018, 08:51 AM
I need some PMAGs that are marked as being made in Wyoming.

blues
01-28-2018, 09:22 AM
I need some PMAGs that are marked as being made in Wyoming.

Then if and when you end up in court, the prosecutor will use it as evidence of your being a cowboy! ;)

DamonL
01-28-2018, 09:37 AM

Colt is still trying to get out of bankruptcy, too.