PDA

View Full Version : Beretta CX4?

jlw
01-25-2018, 09:34 PM
I have a student who has an immediate need for a carbine. She has access to an AR, but it's not working for her, and a shotgun is not a legit option at this time.

I have no experience with the Beretta CX4. Any info would be appreciated.

BN
01-25-2018, 09:52 PM
Have you looked at the new Ruger PCC? I have one and I like it.

edit to add: it can use Glock magazines.

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?29155-Ruger%92s-new-PCC

pangloss
01-25-2018, 09:55 PM
They are blow black carbines, so chambering the first round can be difficult. If I remember correctly, my wife had a lot of trouble running the bolt on mine when it was new. I haven't shot mine nearly as much as I expected, so I don't know how much they loosen up after they are shot for a while. Having said that, I think they are delightful little guns. They are light, and the length of pull can be shortened or lengthened by changing the number of spacers in the butt stock. Mine came set up to run PX4 mags, but I was able to get the small parts to switch it out to take M92 mags. I only have a few hundred rounds of FMJ through mine, but I've not experienced any problems. I really should shoot it more.

Can you give us some details on why the AR is not working for her?

GyroF-16
01-25-2018, 09:58 PM
This is very timely...
I just bought a CX4 to teach my early-teen sons to shoot carbines. I got the 9mm variety, that takes Beretta 92 mags (of which we have plenty).

We’ve been to the range with it once so far.
My impressions:
The good:
-Fairly light and compact, very easy for small-statured folks to handle.
-Recoil is light to moderate, and report/muzzle blast is minimal
-Manual of arms is simple- many similarities to a handgun. Bold release looks and works like a Beretta slide stop. My 12 yr old had no issues running the bolt.
-Plenty accurate with iron sights - 2” groups at 25 yds
The bad:
-The trigger is pretty heavy- feels like 10 lbs, but after a second cleaning and a good lube, it seems a little better in dry fire now. I’ll still probably want the Sierra Papa trigger upgrade.
-The irons sights are pretty small, and seem quite low. They’re adequate, but we’ve got a red-dot on it now, to be zeroed this weekend.
-The safety is a clunky, cross-bolt variety, not very easy to manipulate. This is more a complaint than a real problem.

Overall, for your student, it probably depends on why an AR carbine wasn’t working for her. If it was muzzle blast, the CX4 may fill the bill. I’m sure there are other, better options out there, but I’m cautiously optimistic that it’s going to work for my needs.

nalesq
01-26-2018, 11:55 AM
If a red dot optic is not going to be used, then I recommend opening up one of rear apertures with a drill bit, like the big aperture on the rear M16A2 sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jlw
01-26-2018, 12:23 PM
Have you looked at the new Ruger PCC? I have one and I like it.

edit to add: it can use Glock magazines.

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?29155-Ruger%92s-new-PCC

This is an immediate need thing as in her stalker is getting out of prison next week immediate need. I have yet to see a PCC in the wild.

BN
01-26-2018, 12:35 PM
This is an immediate need thing as in her stalker is getting out of prison next week immediate need. I have yet to see a PCC in the wild.

I got mine from Brownells on a preorder, but they show out of stock right now.

nalesq
01-26-2018, 12:37 PM
Also, for what it’s worth, Ken Hackathorn seemed to be a big fan of the CX4 for home defense, especially by non dedicated personnel. He used one himself when demoing clearing a shoot house during a home defender class I took some years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JM Campbell
01-26-2018, 12:39 PM
CZ Scorpion evo3 pistol or carbine version might fit her needs.

My scorpion pistol has never malfunctioned in 2900 rounds and even with very weak reloads for testing. Shooting buddy has one with at least 4K suppressed and non with no malfunctions of any kind.

Stock trigger is heavy but serviceable, safety selector on right side will bite larger hands but will most likely not be an issue for her.

Can be found for $850-1100 depending on how it is set up.

If you have a Academy Sports and Outdoors in your area they may stock them (they do in my area).

I wish I was local for her to try it out.

My sc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pangloss
01-26-2018, 01:09 PM
This is an immediate need thing as in her stalker is getting out of prison next week immediate need.

Several years ago (2013?), Brent Yamamoto, an instructor for Suarez Int'l, spent a good bit of time working with the CX4 and evaluating it for defensive use. There were some good threads on Warriortalk as well as some blog posts on the Suarez site. Definitely take a look at that info, as Brent's evaluation was more of a prospective study than a casual after the fact impression of shooting a CX4. As far as I know, his is the best available info on the CX4.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Screwball
01-26-2018, 02:02 PM
I have one of the earlier versions of the CX4... 700 range serial number.

Very good carbine. Never had an issue with it, and from all the time I was active on BerettaForum, I really didn’t see a lot of issues with them.

Most complaints are due to the trigger, which is sort of along the lines of a DAO pull. You can lighten it up with the SierraPapa trigger/hammer kit... but it is costly. I’d put the money into a few bulk packs of 9mm (or .40... or .45), and break in the trigger while learning the gun.

One thing I actually do recommend is the SierraPapa recoil assembly. The stock guide rod/buffer are locked together with a sort of T adapter. Guide rod is plastic, buffer is hard rubber. If you ever take the CX4 apart with the hammer fired, you are going to break either the buffer or the rod... more likely the rod. Once that breaks, gun is inoperable. The SierraPapa kit uses a stainless rod, and the buffer just fits on the end like a socket. With the gun closed up, isn’t coming off. If you take it down with the hammer in the way, just put it back on when you are closing up the gun (hammer needs to be cocked, as well). I have a Bedair guide rod, which I also upgraded the bolt link to the SierraPapa one... but I’m also very aware of the hammer interaction when taking the gun down.

With that being said, wouldn’t hesitate to suggest it in that situation. Cross-bolt safety is easy to understand. If she is a lefty, easy to convert it to eject left. Charging handle can be swapped to either side... or one ran on both. Add in quality magazines (whatever pistol magazine you get... 92/96, Cougar, or PX4, make sure to get good magazines), and you have a good pistol caliber carbine.

GyroF-16
01-26-2018, 05:21 PM
Several years ago (2013?), Brent Yamamoto, an instructor for Suarez Int'l, spent a good bit of time working with the CX4 and evaluating it for defensive use. There were some good threads on Warriortalk as well as some blog posts on the Suarez site. Definitely take a look at that info, as Brent's evaluation was more of a prospective study than a casual after the fact impression of shooting a CX4. As far as I know, his is the best available info on the CX4.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Second edit to add: upon review, links below are probably not worth your time. Typical internet drivel, with lots of pic of guys pointing guns at each other (yes, really). Essentially no “here are my impressions of how it shoots” content.

With that disclaimer, read on...

Original post:

Here’s a link to the first of the 4 blog posts on the CX4 by Yamamoto.

http://blog.suarezinternational.com/2013/01/snow-storm-the-beretta-cx4.html

I can’t say I agree with all of his assertions in the only one I’ve read so far (PCC better than shotgun for home defense, for example), they are probably worth a read...

Edited to add: here are the links for parts 3 & 4. 2 seems to be lost. And I’m still not terribly impressed with the writing...

http://blog.suarezinternational.com/2013/01/snow-storm-part-three.html
http://blog.suarezinternational.com/2013/01/beretta-storm-part-four.html

TGS
01-26-2018, 07:02 PM
This isn't terribly comprehensive info, but there's a fair number of Cx4s floating around the local departments in NJ. I've never heard anything about real issues with them....all the complaints I heard are about mag capacity vs an M4, UMP, MP5, etc, and the fact that it's a PCC in general.

I have a buddy that owns one and I thought it was actually a nice gun for what it is, and he never had any problems with it. I don't have any hard data on MRBF or parts breakage, though.

pangloss
01-26-2018, 10:01 PM
2 seems to be lost.

Thank you for taking the time to look up and share those links. Part two probably has the most relevant information. I was able to pull up a cached copy via the internet wayback machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20130130154844/http://www.warriortalknews.com/2013/01/snow-storm-part-two.html

Squib308
01-26-2018, 10:57 PM
i've been very happy with the CX4 storm. it is incredibly lightweight and reliable. it runs HP's just fine too which is not always the case w a blowback. my only real gripe is the absurd stock design makes it near impossible for me to reach the mag release with my thumb. i have to engage it with my left hand. the trigger is also very heavy although this really only becomes an issue if shooting at longer ranges or trying to shoot fast. otherwise it's fine.

the CZ evo 3 also looks nice. for the $$ it might be an even better option than the beretta. i haven't shot one yet. the prices on the MPX are coming down too so if the budget allows would consider it.

jlw
01-27-2018, 06:52 PM
Is the safety just a trigger block safety? Can it be stored with a round in a chamber, or does it need to be stored with an empty chamber?

Screwball
01-27-2018, 07:23 PM
Is the safety just a trigger block safety? Can it be stored with a round in a chamber, or does it need to be stored with an empty chamber?

It is a standard cross-bolt safety... and not something that will come off accidentally. Side note, it is reversible.

It can be stored with a round in the chamber. It has a firing pin block, as well as an internal hammer safety.

Bigghoss
01-27-2018, 08:01 PM
LGS has a used one. And I'm going to do anything with that .410 over/under I have...