PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion...

SHOOTER13
01-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Hey mods and admins...!! Just joined and was trying to catch the mood here up by reading a few of the subforums when it dawned on me that things could be made a lot simpler for people who want to read about a certain firearm in say "Autoloaders" and/or "Revolvers" if someone would create a firearm specific thread for each manufacturer, as I noticed alot of posts on Glocks, Wathers, S&W, etc. If someone had a Glock question...go to the Glock thread...a question about S&W...or wanted a link he saw before...whatever...then go to that specific firearm manufacturer thread.

Just a thought...

VolGrad
01-31-2012, 06:13 PM
I would suggest if one wanted to read about a certain make of firearm they use the SEARCH function. If they want to ask about one that yields no results they just start a thread.

One of the things I like about this site is the fact there aren't a ton of sub-forums to wade through. It drives me nuts to visit a site with 50 sub-forums, most of which are empty of contain only the initial thread which "introduces" it.

That's just my humble opinion. I'm sure everyone has one.

LOKNLOD
01-31-2012, 06:30 PM
I tend to agree with VolGrad. If I search for Glock, and get 15 threads, I can narrow down to a couple by reading the titles to the threads about the topic in which I'm interested. If everything is in one thread, it's a pain to sort through. I don't want to read through ten pages of Gen4 ejection issues to figure out what sights somebody likes.

Just my 0.1466 Pula.

SHOOTER13
01-31-2012, 06:41 PM
You're missing my point...but, it don't matter.

Obviously...just wasting keystrokes here !

Shellback
01-31-2012, 06:52 PM
Your missing my point...but, it don't matter. Just wasting keystrokes...

It was just a suggestion...

Relax, people were just responding to your suggestion with their opinion. If they missed your point why not try to clarify it for better understanding if you think something was missed in the translation?

Personally, I don't think it's really necessary for the above mentioned reasons.

orionz06
01-31-2012, 07:00 PM
I think it would be a pain in the ass to see 100 threads divided into 15 different sub forums with only 2-3 really seeing use. Mfg sub forums really only encourage fanboyism and add zero value. They can also increase the click count on the mouse and possibly wear it out sooner.

SHOOTER13
01-31-2012, 08:57 PM
OK, Try it your way...

Type Glock in your "Search" box...you will get 12 pages out of the 19 or so in Autoloaders.

Look at those post titles in those 12 pages...

Titles like: "Who carries a snubbie"...Thinking of buying a S&W M99...Walther pops up...

If someone just mentioned the word Glock in passing, whether the thread has anything to do with Glock or not...it pops up.

How is that refined...? If you type Glock sights...those same 12 pages pop up again...plus anything with the word sights in it too. See what I'm getting at now !?

I'm not going to waste any more time beating this to death...it was just a suggestion. My last...

VolGrad
01-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Take a deep breath. Relax. Rinse. Repeat.

Seriously friend .... you made a suggestion. Great. We offered opinions that differed. I don't think anyone said anything offensive so I'm not sure why you are getting so tweaked. Don't be so sensitive.

LittleLebowski
01-31-2012, 09:05 PM
Man, you're tetchy. We haven't even had a chance to get the mods together and look at it (because many of us were/are shooting a match tonight).

For now, try pasting the below into Google/Bing.

glock sights site:pistol-forum.com

LOKNLOD
01-31-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm not going to waste any more time beating this to death...it was just a suggestion. My last...

Thanks for the explanation, I do understand your point better now...if by "thread' you meant "subforum" in your original post. Either way, no need to get upset about it - our disagreement was no reflection on you personally. Heck I have all sorts of bad ideas all the time!
Although if you need to search, using the "advanced search" right under the search box opens up many more options to drill down into specific subforums, titles only, etc. Much better better than just using the search box alone. And using google or bing like LittleLebowski suggests works well too.

Welcome to the forum.

LittleLebowski
01-31-2012, 10:42 PM
I learned a new word today, thanks!

Now go read Lonesome Dove. Excellent novel.

Shellback
01-31-2012, 10:46 PM

I thought it was a typo. :)

seabiscuit
01-31-2012, 11:22 PM
In most search engines, searching for "Glock sights" (with quotation marks) will yield results where those two words are used in conjunction. Searching without the quotes yields results that contain both words at some point, not necessarily together.

jmjames
02-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Right underneath the search box is a link to "Advanced Search", it has an option to search the titles only. That should do exactly what you want.

J.Ja

Super J
02-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your idea that you think will make things more efficient. I trust and hope that you will enjoy your time here and will be a contributing member.

All the best

J

orionz06
02-01-2012, 07:57 AM

Likewise.

Jay Cunningham
02-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Not an unreasonable idea - staff is discussing it right now and the rest of the membership can feel free to discuss it here.

However... showing up, making a recommendation, and then throwing a temper-tantrum because a couple of people disagreed is not going to endear you to anyone.

http://shirtshovel.com/products/funny/unique-434.jpg

LittleLebowski
02-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Hey mods and admins...!! Just joined and was trying to catch the mood here up by reading a few of the subforums when it dawned on me that things could be made a lot simpler for people who want to read about a certain firearm in say "Autoloaders" and/or "Revolvers" if someone would create a firearm specific thread for each manufacturer, as I noticed alot of posts on Glocks, Wathers, S&W, etc. If someone had a Glock question...go to the Glock thread...a question about S&W...or wanted a link he saw before...whatever...then go to that specific firearm manufacturer thread.

Just a thought...

The ruling is....not at this time. We'll revisit it when traffic/membership justifies it. Thank you for your suggestion and contributions to this forum so far.