PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new eye in the morning.

Bigguy
01-25-2018, 03:57 PM
I'll be at the Surgery Center in Texarkana bright at early tomorrow morning at 6:15 for cataract surgery on my left eye. If all goes well, I'll have the right eye done next Friday. I'm getting the toric lens. (best as I can tell, "toric" is latin for expensive.) I won't need glasses, except possibly readers. I'm tired of being blind, so I'm looking forward to it. I'll let you feller know how it goes, assumin' I can still see to type.

blues
01-25-2018, 04:12 PM
Good luck. Here's hoping it turns out a complete success beyond your best expectations.

RoyGBiv
01-25-2018, 04:21 PM
Good luck. Here's hoping it turns out a complete success beyond your best expectations.

AMEN!

mtnbkr
01-25-2018, 04:21 PM
A few years ago, my dad had that surgery. All his life, he wore glasses. Shortly before the surgery, he was practically blind and couldn't drive, read, or watch TV. After the surgery, his sight was better than it had ever been. He remarked that he could even see individual leaves on trees, rather than the green blobs they used to be.

Chris

LSP552
01-25-2018, 04:23 PM
Good luck!

CWM11B
01-25-2018, 04:26 PM
Here's to success!

41magfan
01-25-2018, 04:48 PM
Hope you have a good outcome. It's hard to believe we're just a generation or so removed from "Coke Bottle" glasses as a remedy for cataracts. Advancements in technology is a wonderful thing.

BN
01-25-2018, 05:04 PM
I just had a lens implant the other day after cataract removal surgery years ago because of an injury. Piece of cake. :) I see much better now. :)

1911Nut
01-25-2018, 07:08 PM
Things surely will go better. Had both my eyes done and accommodative lens implants installed 4 years ago, then had the lens tuned up via laser three years later. No issues at all.

Erik
01-25-2018, 07:27 PM
Good luck! If it hasn't been recommended yet, I would suggest showering with some kind of anti-bacterial body wash before the surgery just to be on the safe side. The risk of infection is low, but real, and the consequences can be severe. My understanding is that this can further reduce that risk.

SAWBONES
01-25-2018, 08:34 PM
Piece o' cake.
Did both 10 years ago, no problem.

You'll do fine.

RevolverRob
01-25-2018, 09:02 PM
If it's expensive, trying asking the doctor if he has an eye for an eye policy.

Paul D
01-25-2018, 09:23 PM
Cataract surgery is one of the best bang for the buck surgeries that improves quality of life. Plus it is exceedingly safe.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Matt O
01-25-2018, 09:51 PM
Absolute best of luck - I hope the surgery goes as smoothly as humanly possible and your recovery is swift and sure.

Robinson
01-25-2018, 11:52 PM
Best wishes for a successful outcome.

S Jenks
01-26-2018, 01:45 AM
I had Visian ICLs implanted about 5 years ago - simply amazing! I went from practically blind to 20/15. A bit of dryness/halos that first summer but I’m 100% now and extremely happy with the results.

Robert Mitchum
01-26-2018, 03:08 AM
My Wife had both done .... it went smooth.

Best of luck !

FNFAN
01-26-2018, 05:11 AM
All the best for a smooth procedure and quick recovery!

Jason M
01-26-2018, 08:24 AM
Best of luck!

JRB
01-26-2018, 10:26 AM
My Mother is slated for the same surgery in March. Best of luck! I'm very interested in hearing your first-hand account of it all!

lwt16
01-26-2018, 10:44 AM
Good friend of mine just had it done. He said it was the best money he's ever spent.

Leroy Suggs
01-26-2018, 12:23 PM
I had both eyes done five years ago.
No problems at all.

My corrected vision is 20/15 now and I can see at night.:cool:

Glenn E. Meyer
01-26-2018, 01:07 PM
I had both eyes done! It was wonderful. The cataracts came on rather quickly and had practical and tactical consequences. I couldn't see at night when driving worth a damn. Total flare washout. I almost had an accident as I couldn't see the side of the road.

Tactical - I went to Given's conference and had to work a dark shoot house. The bad guy dummy was all in black with a black gun on his chest. I walked right by the thing. Couldn't see it as a threat! With the removal, I see very well. I was asked if I wanted to correct my astigmatism and/or correct for my near vision. Since in my youth I took Intro Ophthalmology and Physiological Optics, I went to lectures on how more complex things can go bad.

1. Astigmastism depends on differential focal planes, so you needed a weighted lens with attach points to keep it in the right place. It also costs more and that isn't covered by insurance. So I said, I'll pass. My friend went that way and then the lens slipped and they had to go back in and that was quite a mess.

2. With different lens powers in each eye, you can have fusion problems leading to binocular suppression or screwed up stereopsis (3D vision) - so I'll pass

KISS.

I dealt with correction with progressive lenses. Since I've worn glasses since 6th grade - not a biggy. Also - tactical - I like having eye protection at all times. Thus, the glasses. Don't need crap getting in my eyes in the dreaded real world firearms usage.

Bigguy
01-27-2018, 12:03 PM
Thanks for all of the encouraging comments.
First day after surgery — WOW!
Only minor downside I knew about before surgery, I need reading glasses. Up until the last few months I could still read without glasses using my left eye. Recently, reading had gotten difficult even with glasses. Now, though I need glasses, I can read again. (That's a nice skill for an author.)
Somebody in an earlier post mentioned a friend who could see individual leaves on trees. I remember that sensation when I got my glasses back in Jr. High. In recent months, I couldn't make out individual leaves, even with glasses. Now, for the first time in 4 decades, I can make out individual leaves, without glasses.
The biggest difference is that colors are so vibrant. I feel like I've gotten a new TV. I can make out detail that I couldn't before because everything was the same color. (I had a hard time distinguishing between blue and black ink.)
The only other downside is that I'll have to wait two weeks to get the other eye done. I had thought it would only be a week. I'm already navigating with my left eye, the formerly non-dominant eye. I can't wait to get both eyes done. I've often lamented that I'd love to have my 20-year-old eyes back. I feel like I've got one of them.

EDIT: One other observation. I knew I'd be awake for the surgery. I wasn't looking forward to the idea of lying there, awake while somebody started cutting on my eye, but I made up my mind that I'd just have to get through it.
They gave me something before the surgery. I didn't feel drugged or drunk, but the surgery just didn't bother me. It was a strange (though not uncomfortable) sensation. A friend had told me this would happen and that there was nothing to the surgery. I didn't really believe it until experiencing it. He told me the worst part was going to be waiting to get the other eye fixed. He's right. I'd do it today if I could. I didn't realize how bad my eyes were until I got one of them fixed. Now it feels like I've got something over my right (dominate) eye.

RoyGBiv
01-27-2018, 06:21 PM
Awesome!

I would have the same worry as your "EDIT".. Good luck with #2!

CWM11B
01-27-2018, 06:31 PM
Very glad you had a positive outcome. I was blessed with very good vision, made it to my late 40s before reading glasses were needed for comfort. Into my 50s before going to progressive lenses. Something I took for granted, but no longer do.

theJanitor
01-27-2018, 08:03 PM
Awesome news, bigguy. Cherish and PROTECT your good vision, everyone