PDA

View Full Version : 100-level defensive handgun classes?

bdcheung
01-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Any recommendations on first steps for defensive handgun training? Many of the classes I've looked at are tailored for people "with experience", and while I've got experience drawing, firing, etc. both dry-fire and live-fire at the range, I've not received any formal education and don't consider myself properly prepared for many of the courses I've found.

Tam212
01-31-2012, 12:18 PM
I am not familiar with the training outfits in your area but maybe try to find some NRA Personal Protection in the Home or NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home (carry) courses?

JV_
01-31-2012, 12:23 PM
For an introduction, you may want to look at John Murphy/FPF Training: http://www.fpftraining.com/ccsd.html

TGS
01-31-2012, 12:53 PM
I would also recommend Murphy, his classes are exactly what you're looking for. I took his CCSD and ACSD classes.

CCSD will be especially useful for you as it will cover other self-defense topics in the first 4 hours, which is classroom time. So violent criminal actors, some case studies on shootings and shooting aftermath, legal considerations (he's not a lawyer, it's just some things to be aware of), ect.

You can't really get a better introduction class for using handguns in self-defense.

ACSD is all shooting. The only memorable parts of ACSD that I can remember were:

1) the night shoot, which was awesome because the only night shoots I had done before that were using M16A2/A4's with PVS-14 NVG's and IR lasers, or M249 SAW's with thermal scopes.........completely cool, and completely irrelevant to self-defense. He said that spots are starting to fill up rapidly, so if anyone is thinking about it, don't hesitate.

2) Shooting out of a car at moving targets.

You would be served well by taking CCSD. The price is reasonable, as well.

Also consider contacting SouthNarc to get in on his Culpeper ECQC class in March. I just locked in my spot last night along with a close friend.....I'm not sure if anyone from the Virginia crew are going, but you'll most likely be in good company.

bdcheung
01-31-2012, 01:08 PM
The CCSD class looks very interesting, and is close enough that I could avoid the hotel cost.

Ed L
02-02-2012, 12:27 AM
John Murphy is a good guy. I met him several years back at a training course at Crucible.

bdcheung
02-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Got the go-ahead to register for the June class in Culpeper. Would like to do it sooner, but Mrs. BDC and I have child-birthing classes every Saturday from here through May!

TGS
02-02-2012, 01:02 PM
I would also recommend Murphy, his classes are exactly what you're looking for. I took his CCSD and ACSD classes.

CCSD will be especially useful for you as it will cover other self-defense topics in the first 4 hours, which is classroom time. So violent criminal actors, some case studies on shootings and shooting aftermath, legal considerations (he's not a lawyer, it's just some things to be aware of), ect.

You can't really get a better introduction class for using handguns in self-defense.

ACSD is all shooting. The only memorable parts of ACSD that I can remember were:

1) the night shoot, which was awesome because the only night shoots I had done before that were using M16A2/A4's with PVS-14 NVG's and IR lasers, or M249 SAW's with thermal scopes.........completely cool, and completely irrelevant to self-defense. He said that spots are starting to fill up rapidly, so if anyone is thinking about it, don't hesitate.

2) Shooting out of a car at moving targets.

You would be served well by taking CCSD. The price is reasonable, as well.

Also consider contacting SouthNarc to get in on his Culpeper ECQC class in March. I just locked in my spot last night along with a close friend.....I'm not sure if anyone from the Virginia crew are going, but you'll most likely be in good company.

To clarify, the part about spots starting to fill up rapidly should be placed after the mention of Southnarc, not Murphy. Seems like my internet has been acting really weird lately.....in addition to this happening (things magically being cut & pasted to other parts of the message), I'll also try to quote people and the quote brackets go missing.

Anyway, nice to see you've got the go ahead.

mnealtx
02-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Got the go-ahead to register for the June class in Culpeper. Would like to do it sooner, but Mrs. BDC and I have child-birthing classes every Saturday from here through May!

Congratulations!

Tony Muhlenkamp
02-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Giles Stock will be teaching Basic Tactical Pistol in May, and Randy Cain will be teaching Handgun 101 in August, both in Pittsburgh PA. You can read course descriptions and see the schedule at www.fireinstitute.org

Tony Muhlenkamp

jc000
02-08-2012, 08:27 AM

This course looks great but is it really appropriate for inexperienced people? I'd definitely attend this if novice/crappy shooters are welcomed.

I've seen some positive reviews for safepistol.com--anyone else have any experience there?