PDA

View Full Version : Maverick 88 Synthetic Stock Dilemma

glocksalot
01-23-2018, 11:53 PM
I cut my teeth on Remington 870s, so all of my shotgun knowledge (what little there is) came from modifying/using this brand of shotgun. Most of my use of these shotguns have been for work and home security purposes. I recently saw a sale going on at the local Academy sports for their Mossberg shotguns so I picked up the cheaper version, the Maverick 88, mainly due to price but also because I preferred the safety on the trigger housing just like the 870s.

My issue is that I have cut down the synthetic stock on the 88 down about an inch (obviously for reduced LOP), and am having trouble deciding on keeping it this length or going even shorter, for easier maneuverability. The locations for the recoil pad attachment screws are still usable right now so I was looking at Kick Eez recoil pad grind to fit recoil pad and was hoping to still use the stock mounting locations. But I have started to question whether or not to go shorter and just fill in the stock with some type of epoxy that I can use to secure the recoil pad to.

I have two questions that I was hoping to get some help on: will a Kick Eez grind to fit recoil pad for a Mossberg 500 allow me to use the factory attachment locations for the screws? And if not, what epoxy has anyone had prior experience with that I could use to fill the stock to use as a secure mounting point for another generic Kick Eez pad?

Thanks for any help and appreciate the feedback.

willie
01-24-2018, 12:23 AM
If you fill in the stock with epoxy, you will then be unable to access the stock bolt. Hence removing the stock or tightening the bolt in case of looseness. I suggest considering a major brand of slip on pad. Check out ebay for low cost Mossberg 500/Maverick stocks if you need to start over. Choate makes a repacement stock that uses spacers to adjust length.

glocksalot
01-24-2018, 01:27 AM
If you fill in the stock with epoxy, you will then be unable to access the stock bolt. Hence removing the stock or tightening the bolt in case of looseness. I suggest considering a major brand of slip on pad. Check out ebay for low cost Mossberg 500/Maverick stocks if you need to start over. Choate makes a repacement stock that uses spacers to adjust length.

Correct, which is why a piece of PVC would be used to create a space for me to remove the stock bolt. I've searched and read more than a few threads/posts that have shown to create the hole/space with the surrounding area filled with the filler/epoxy. A piece of wood maybe 1/8th inch below the end of the stock on top of the filler and then more filler placed on top of the wood piece. And then attach whichever recoil pad and grind to fit. Sounds pretty simple, just wanting to get a recommendation on the type of filler if nobody can say whether or not I can possibly use a "pre-fit" Kick Eez pad that will fit the stock mounting points.

willie
01-24-2018, 11:10 AM
I use a Kick Eez pad on this same stock. I removed the factory pad and put the slip on in its place. The result was a slightly shorter stock. No filler was used. These pads come in different sizes so you should be able to find a workable solution. Reading your posts tells me that you are informed and thus ahead of the curve. I've written all I know so if I say anything else I'll be showing my ignorance, except to say that Acraglas would be a good filler. I suggest that you consult Brownells' catalog and then call and talk to one of their techs.

glocksalot
01-25-2018, 04:18 PM
I use a Kick Eez pad on this same stock. I removed the factory pad and put the slip on in its place. The result was a slightly shorter stock. No filler was used. These pads come in different sizes so you should be able to find a workable solution. Reading your posts tells me that you are informed and thus ahead of the curve. I've written all I know so if I say anything else I'll be showing my ignorance, except to say that Acraglas would be a good filler. I suggest that you consult Brownells' catalog and then call and talk to one of their techs.

I appreciate the info, and it looks like I will just be cutting it down to a 12" LOP and filling it up with some type of epoxy to secure the recoil pad down to. At least that seems the easiest/best option at this point.

willie
01-25-2018, 04:50 PM
At that length, for me, recoil causes my hand to hit my nose. 12 inch stocks work well for people wearing thick vests but not so much normal size guys. I can manage 13 inch stocks well at 6 foot plus and a 35 inch sleeve length but nothing else.

glocksalot
01-26-2018, 02:04 AM
At that length, for me, recoil causes my hand to hit my nose. 12 inch stocks work well for people wearing thick vests but not so much normal size guys. I can manage 13 inch stocks well at 6 foot plus and a 35 inch sleeve length but nothing else.

At the stock LOP, I can remember my hand smacking my nose under recoil as well on the first shot, but it felt very uncomfortable to be stretched out that far shooting such a hard recoiling shotgun. So this LOP is more comfortable for my reach, and on top of that, if I have to pull this out for work purposes, I will be wearing at least my soft armor if not my rifle plates, so the shorter LOP will definitely benefit me there.