PDA

View Full Version : If you had to buy a truck in the next couple of weeks... RFI

Seven_Sicks_Two
01-22-2018, 12:57 PM
I'm not a truck guy, or even a car guy really... In the last week, I've gone from having no interest in buying a truck, to needing one for a job I'll be starting in a couple of weeks...

My new employer will be giving me $1,100 a month to cover the payment, insurance and some (or all) of the fuel costs. Much of the job will be driving, and the guys that I've talked to say that they put 30-40k miles a year on their vehicles in mixed business/personal driving. Much of the job will be on the road in the PNW, driving with 3-7' long product samples (hence the need for a truck bed). The weather in some parts of the territory can get a little nasty in the winter, so I'm thinking 4WD.

As an aside, I don't really have much in the way of experience driving/parking pickups. Previous vehicles have been a VW GTI and a Honda Accord.

So far I'm leaning to either an F-150 with some flavor of Ecoboost, or a Tacoma TRD.

F-150
Pros: good gas mileage for a full-size truck, probably the smoother ride between the two.
Cons: probably more size/capability than I need.

Tacoma:
Pros: Looks cool, sized right
Cons: about the same fuel economy as some full-size options. Expensive for the size.

I saw the previous truck thread, but I'm hesitant to be an early adopter, and some of those options aren't available yet.

Thoughts? Am I missing anything? Suggestions?

NEPAKevin
01-22-2018, 01:28 PM
Much of the job will be driving, and the guys that I've talked to say that they put 30-40k miles a year on their vehicles in mixed business/personal driving. Much of the job will be on the road in the PNW, driving with 3-7' long product samples (hence the need for a truck bed).

Do you know if you are going to need an eight foot bed? If so, that may limit choices. Around my part of the country, the vast majority of trucks have short beds and full length beds are almost a special order option.

TQP
01-22-2018, 01:29 PM
I don't know what industry you're in, but 'Buy American' might be a factor.

The mileage I'm getting on my Frontier is not much better, if at all, what guys here are reporting for their full sized trucks.

Given your 2 choices I'd lean toward the F150. If I had mine to do over again I would probably buy the F150.

Duelist
01-22-2018, 01:29 PM
ive had an F150 before, and really liked it. If my employer were paying my fuel costs, and making part/all of my payments, I'd love to be back in one. If the fuel savings aren't there, and payments are similar/the same, it is hard to justify getting something smaller.

OTOH, my wife would rather drive a smaller vehicle, so the Tacoma would probably at least get a serious checkride. If it's big enough for the job, and there's any chance my wife would be driving it, I'd end up in a Taco. She drove my F150 maybe once a year in the ten I had it, because she didn't like driving a vehicle that size.

rayrevolver
01-22-2018, 01:31 PM
Questions:
- Can your 7' samples fit in a short truck bed (5' or 6') with one of those bed extenders?
- How much off road capability would you need?

Lol, I am going to get roasted for this: But what about the 4x4-ish Honda Ridgeline? It is probably the closest non-truck truck there is.

If you need a long bed then the Honda is out. My F-150 short bed has the extenders which work well. The Ridgeline bed is a touch bigger than the short bed F-150 but obviously not near the long bed options available for most trucks.

Offroad is where the Honda is weak, but maybe viable.

https://www.edmunds.com/honda/ridgeline/2017/long-term-road-test/mpg.html

Looks like the diesel Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon have better mileage though, better offroad etc. And possibly a long bed option. But yeah, buy Murican and all that.

EDIT: Just looking at prices, it almost seems to point to fullsize trucks. For the Honda to get a backup camera is a $500 option, or standard with $41k package. Colorado doesn't come with the long bed, Extended Cab AND Diesel. Regardless, the crew/long/diesel is $41k with a bunch of options.

I want to say my 2013 F-150 Lariat was a $51k (!?!) sticker but actual price was closer to $41k with the discounts. Are the mid-sized trucks sold the same way, with a bunch of discounts?

tanner
01-22-2018, 01:48 PM
I have owned trucks before. My 2018 F-150 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost has exceeded all of my expectations. I highly recommend it without any reservations.

The Glock of the pickup truck world :cool:.

Also, if you get the max towing package, you get a 36 gallon gas tank. I like that feature a lot.

Aray
01-22-2018, 01:57 PM
I've owned most of the makes over the years. The Ridgelines are in no way a truck except that they have a "bed" of sorts, I was unimpressed with the one we had. It was noisy and the fuel mileage was unimpressive. The Tacos are pricey but reliable if their size will do, small interiors compared to what I'm used to. In full size half ton trucks, the Titans have been problematic across the board, as have the earlier Ford Ecoboost motors, though it seems Ford may have that sorted out. Ford interiors have seemed more utilitarian compared to GM and Dodge in recent years, but YMMV. I went from a Silverado LT2 2500 Duramax Diesel to a Ram Big Horn 2500 6.4l gas and am satisfied with the Ram after 15 months and 24k miles.

Seven_Sicks_Two
01-22-2018, 01:58 PM
I work in the outdoor industry, so we're talking about rifles and fishing rods here. I won't always need to be hauling samples, but when I need them, I'll need a lot of them. I think a short bed would work, but then I've never tried transporting a bunch of rods and rifles at the same time before.

I don't plan to do a lot of off-roading (I don't do any of it now), but I'd like the peace of mind of knowing that I'd be able to get from say Coeur d'Alene to Portland regardless of the weather or road conditions.

Aray
01-22-2018, 02:02 PM
I work in the outdoor industry, so we're talking about rifles and fishing rods here. I won't always need to be hauling samples, but when I need them, I'll need a lot of them. I think a short bed would work, but then I've never tried transporting a bunch of rods and rifles at the same time before.

I don't plan to do a lot of off-roading (I don't do any of it now), but I'd like the peace of mind of knowing that I'd be able to get from say Coeur d'Alene to Portland regardless of the weather or road conditions.

That's going to mean chains on occasion. I'd stay away from 20" wheels.

Peally
01-22-2018, 02:03 PM
How legal is it to grab some friends and plane tickets, raid a Taliban base for a few Hilux trucks, and ship them back?

ranger
01-22-2018, 02:06 PM
I am getting great service out of my 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Hemi. I would get one of the full size trucks and not a midsize.

Seven_Sicks_Two
01-22-2018, 02:12 PM
It seems like most folks are recommending the full-size trucks. Is that for ride comfort? Space? Value? Something else that I'm missing?

GOTURBACK
01-22-2018, 02:14 PM
In 2016 When we were looking for a mid-size truck we test drove the Tacoma it was not very comfortable for me (6'-220) and even though it was a four door there is absolutely no way an adult could fit in the back without having their knees in their chest, there was no option for power or heated seats (it was not the TRD). We then test drove the Chevrolet Colorado Z71, I immediately felt an increase in roominess and overall comfort it also had better acceleration (300HP) we ultimately special ordered the Colorado Z71 4 door with the V6 gas engine, and the long bed 16 months later I can report it's been great, the diesel has really good reviews but added 2k to the sticker if I remember right. I have driven the Ford F-150 with the eco-boost while towing my buddies boat to florida it has an abundance of power and seem to be a great overall truck if looking for a full size it would be on my short list. The new Chevrolet Colorado ZR1 has front lockers and a wider and higher stance and better suspension for off-road it's setup to compete directly with the Tacoma TRD.

tanner
01-22-2018, 02:16 PM
It seems like most folks are recommending the full-size trucks. Is that for ride comfort? Space? Value? Something else that I'm missing?

All those things?

I'm 6'01'' and hovering around 250lbs at the moment. I like the space for sure. The roads are shit where I live, and the large truck handles them very well.

Also, in my experience of buying things, whenever I try to go as small (or cheap) as possible, I usually end up regretting it a few months down the road. Pay once, cry once...

Sigfan26
01-22-2018, 02:22 PM
How legal is it to grab some friends and plane tickets, raid a Taliban base for a few Hilux trucks, and ship them back?

It's perfectly legal... As long as you don't get caught.

parkerjake
01-22-2018, 02:23 PM
Here's the deal: if you need a truck for payload and ride height, get the Ford or the Chevy. If you do a lot of off roading, get the Tacoma. If you drive highways, back roads, and city streets, and you care about gas mileage, ride comfort, and excellent service, and can get by with the bed size, get the new Ridgeline. I've had the F-150 and the Silverado in the Northeast and spent way too much time at the dealerships for service issues. Plus, realistically, I didn't really need trucks that size, and the performance in ice and snow was problematic. The new Ridgeline gets great gas mileage and is a worry free Honda. Plus, the drive system is superb in winter.

vcdgrips
01-22-2018, 02:28 PM
To piggy back on a previous post in this thread and one of my own some time ago- "...as a former sales rep for a Fortune 100 company, you are never going to lose a sale [in the PNW] because you drive an American branded truck, the same cannot be said if you drive something Japanese."

I am not a truck guy ( 95 Cherokee Sport/17 Jetta) at all but drove on for a week when I visited colleges in Texas with my son. I had a 4x4, F150 with the XLT package. Well equipped, but by no means completed loaded up package wise. It had many bells and whistles to include: remote start, nav, rear camera, zoned heating/cooling, supersized sunroof, power everything, power rear bed window, applied bed liner etc. I got 20mpg ish driving 68-75 and 18ish driving 77-82. It had a small v8 and was plenty powerful, particularly merging in Texas urban highway traffic.

I enjoyed it though I felt slightly inadequate. In Texas- ladies drives 150s, guys drive 250s and people who work /ranch for a living drive 350s.

YMMV.

DallasBronco
01-22-2018, 02:54 PM
From the types of cargo you mentioned, a full-size SUV, like a Suburban sounds like a good option. Interior storage for all that you are carrying that is lockable and not exposed to the elements. I also didn't see it mentioned, but you are going to be going through vehicles fairly quickly given the mileage expectation. You might want to calculate that into the vehicle allowance.
As a Texan, I wouldn't drive a Ridgeline if you gave it to me.

txdpd
01-22-2018, 03:04 PM
If you're traveling interstate with a GVWR of 10,000lbs or greater for business, you're in interstate commerce that is subject to DOT CMV regulation. A 3/4 ton truck would need a factory 9,999lb or less GVWR package. If you're transporting any type of HAZMAT, you are considered in commerce and subject to DOT regulation.

If I was traveling on the company's dime, I would go with gas for reliability.

Honestly I think you'd be better off with a van or SUV for cargo security and management. While it's the antithesis of cool, a 3/4 or one ton Chevrolet van with the 6.0 can move a lot of cargo and can do it more securely than a pickup.

LOKNLOD
01-22-2018, 03:16 PM
Maybe I missed it, but do you need a true crew cab, 4 real doors, or have any plans of putting adults in the back seat ?

If so, definitely go full-size.

If not, make sure you fit in a Taco before you go that way. I love them but taller guys seem to universally be I able to tolerate them.

If you are just using the back seat for cargo/can space, the extended cab F150 with 6’ bed would be a good choice.

If it were me in this boat I’d consider a. Extended cab F150 4x4 XLT with the 2.7 Ecoboost.

My opinion is based on 7 years in an ‘08 Taco, trading for a ‘16 Taco, which I liked but flipped for a (still new on the lot) ‘15 F150 supercrew 3.5 EB for the extra space and similar mpg. It is a King Ranch but I think it’s stupid to go past XLT on trim level honestly.

Seven_Sicks_Two
01-22-2018, 03:30 PM
From the types of cargo you mentioned, a full-size SUV, like a Suburban sounds like a good option. Interior storage for all that you are carrying that is lockable and not exposed to the elements. I also didn't see it mentioned, but you are going to be going through vehicles fairly quickly given the mileage expectation. You might want to calculate that into the vehicle allowance.
As a Texan, I wouldn't drive a Ridgeline if you gave it to me.

The mileage thing is definitely a concern, it sounds like I'll likely be replacing the vehicle at around the same time that it is finally paid off. 30-40k/year for 5 years is likely at or near the end of the service life (I'm guessing). A Suburban would be awesome, but I think it would be a little over budget.

Maybe I missed it, but do you need a true crew cab, 4 real doors, or have any plans of putting adults in the back seat ?

If so, definitely go full-size.

If not, make sure you fit in a Taco before you go that way. I love them but taller guys seem to universally be I able to tolerate them.

If you are just using the back seat for cargo/can space, the extended cab F150 with 6’ bed would be a good choice.

If it were me in this boat I’d consider a. Extended cab F150 4x4 XLT with the 2.7 Ecoboost.

My opinion is based on 7 years in an ‘08 Taco, trading for a ‘16 Taco, which I liked but flipped for a (still new on the lot) ‘15 F150 supercrew 3.5 EB for the extra space and similar mpg. It is a King Ranch but I think it’s stupid to go past XLT on trim level honestly.

We don't have kids yet and I can't really think of a scenario where we'd have other adults with us. That being said, I kinda like the idea of 4 real doors. I'm 6'00"/170lbs., so I'm not huge, but I'm not exactly short.

idahojess
01-22-2018, 03:42 PM
How about a Tahoe Custom? Third seat is deleted, which gives 112 cubic feet of cargo space.
http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2017/aug/0815-tahoe.html
I really like trucks, but I think they are best at hauling dirty stuff in the bed (like muddy decoys, mountain bikes, skunked dogs, etc). Not necessarily things that are not dirty or attractive to steal.
Of course everything is a compromise, and you can get a cover or a canopy for a truck.

rjohnson4405
01-22-2018, 03:56 PM
The Diesel Colorado could really allow you to maximize the life of the vehicle (at least on the engine side). And better gas mileage. If your company pays you the same amount whether your truck is brand new or with 300k miles I would get the diesel. If it only pays you what it costs I would have new trucks regularly and get whatever you want (Raptor).

Sigfan26
01-22-2018, 04:40 PM
I'm not a truck guy, or even a car guy really... In the last week, I've gone from having no interest in buying a truck, to needing one for a job I'll be starting in a couple of weeks...

My new employer will be giving me $1,100 a month to cover the payment, insurance and some (or all) of the fuel costs. Much of the job will be driving, and the guys that I've talked to say that they put 30-40k miles a year on their vehicles in mixed business/personal driving. Much of the job will be on the road in the PNW, driving with 3-7' long product samples (hence the need for a truck bed). The weather in some parts of the territory can get a little nasty in the winter, so I'm thinking 4WD.

As an aside, I don't really have much in the way of experience driving/parking pickups. Previous vehicles have been a VW GTI and a Honda Accord.

So far I'm leaning to either an F-150 with some flavor of Ecoboost, or a Tacoma TRD.

F-150
Pros: good gas mileage for a full-size truck, probably the smoother ride between the two.

Tacoma:
Cons: about the same fuel economy as some full-size options. Expensive for the size.

I saw the previous truck thread, but I'm hesitant to be an early adopter, and some of those options aren't available yet.

I'd definitely opt for an F150. One thing to keep in mind (with whichever vehicle you pick since you will be spending this much time in the truck) is that little creature comforts are nice to have. While you may think that things like heated/cooled seats and XM satellite radio are not necessary, they make driving more pleasurable.

EricP
01-22-2018, 04:40 PM
I had a 2004 F150 and have a 2015 Tacoma. They got fairly comparable mileage. I'm not a big guy and I find the Taco small. The Taco is definitely easier to park.

If your cargo is going to be fishing rods and rifles, I would imagine that you would need to have them completely contained and secured. I'm not sure a 7' fishing rod (assembled?) would fit in the 5.5' bed of a 4 door Tacoma, maybe the 2 door with a 6.5'. In either event, would you need a lockable folding or rigid cover?

jwperry
01-22-2018, 05:09 PM
In much the same demographic (not a car/truck guy, first time truck buyer) I choose the RAM 1500 last year.

I'm not too keen on an aluminum bodied vehicle, no matter how much the Ford salesman tells me "it is stronger". I did like the throttle response of the 3.5L EcoBoost, but those trucks got pricey quick when you added options. I'd be a little nervous about using a pressure boosted engine in the mountains.

Curb size, I found the Colorado/Canyon to be nearly the same sized as the Silverado/Sierra. But they definitely felt smaller on the inside, even if their foot print in the driveway was similar.

I really wanted to like the Silverado (especially in the swank High Country trim) or the Sierra SLT All Terrain. I found the 5.3L V8 to suck in acceleration. I test drove a used High Country 3 times and could never get better than 17mpg out of it.

The Toyotas were out for me; Tundra sucks in fuel economy and the Tacoma felt nearly as cramped as my then-owned Toyota Corolla.

Brought me to the RAM. At $36k I was able to get a new truck with comparable amenities to the $50k + GM or Ford offerings. Plus, I got push start (which I really like). Gas mileage has been a little underwhelming (hovering around 19mpg average, using 87 octane fuel on flat land), but the throttle response is great. 7800 miles into it now and I don't regret my choice. I do like the external aesthetics of the GM offerings a bit more and want the towing capability of the Tundra, but for my needs the RAM Laramie is a great fit. If I could have convinced the wife, I'd have picked up the Rebel(she thought it was too ugly).

HCM
01-22-2018, 06:29 PM

Just buy one in Guatemala and drive it up through Mexico. Cheaper and easier.

LtDave
01-22-2018, 07:31 PM
I am getting great service out of my 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Hemi. I would get one of the full size trucks and not a midsize.

Ditto with a 2014 Ram hemi. Decent mileage and very comfortable.

Paladin
01-22-2018, 07:47 PM
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Tundra I’ve had 2 and they were both solid trucks and if I were to need another truck it would be high on my list.
Rick

Peally
01-22-2018, 08:24 PM

I like cheaper and easier, but you're really reducing the fun factor.

Hambo
01-22-2018, 08:47 PM
I had a 2004 F150 and have a 2015 Tacoma. They got fairly comparable mileage. I'm not a big guy and I find the Taco small. The Taco is definitely easier to park.

If your cargo is going to be fishing rods and rifles, I would imagine that you would need to have them completely contained and secured. I'm not sure a 7' fishing rod (assembled?) would fit in the 5.5' bed of a 4 door Tacoma, maybe the 2 door with a 6.5'.

It's going back a bit but I had a 2000 F150 and currently a 2015 Tacoma. Mileage is only slightly better in the Taco. You can fit 7'6" rods in a Tacoma if you put them in diagonally with the butt in the front passenger foot well and make passengers ride in the bed or take a bus. A full length Pelican case will fit in the back seat.

LOKNLOD
01-22-2018, 08:53 PM
I like cheaper and easier, but you're really reducing the fun factor.

Probably about as dangerous though :p

Mike C
01-22-2018, 09:01 PM

F-150

Tacoma:

If you are getting subsidized $1,100 a month. Hands down grab a diesel Canyon or Colorado if you are looking at a mid sized truck. I've got one and it is a great truck. More room than the Tacoma even though I like them a lot, more bells and whistles if that matters to you, fuel economy is excellent and has been very reliable. No real issues to report and I've got one of the first ones. I will say if you are a bigger guy or are 5'11" or taller I'd move on to a full size head room might be cramped but you should check it out anyways. The baby duramax can be had with crew cab and long bed if you are needing a long bed.

txdpd
01-22-2018, 09:05 PM
If you're traveling interstate with a GVWR of 10,000lbs 10,001lbs or greater for business, you're in interstate commerce that is subject to DOT CMV regulation. A 3/4 ton truck would need a factory 9,999lb or less GVWR package. If you're transporting any type of [b]placardable[b] HAZMAT, you are considered in commerce and subject to DOT regulation.

If Ford is still using the Michelin LTX M/S2 as an OE tire it's a really good highway tire and about an $800 value over the others OE tires.

Sigfan26
01-22-2018, 09:06 PM

Story isn’t as cool, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sigfan26
01-22-2018, 09:10 PM
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Tundra I’ve had 2 and they were both solid trucks and if I were to need another truck it would be high on my list.
Rick

My brother went from a Tundra to an F150 Raptor. He saw a pretty good savings at the pump (Tundra was lucky to average 13MPG, the Raptor tends to average 17-19MPG). The Tundra was an excellent truck, but it had a serious drinking problem.

RevolverRob
01-22-2018, 09:19 PM
Get a selection of the longest rods you'll be hauling. Then go to the Toyota and Ford dealers and check the fit. For instance, diagonally in a 5.5" bed the rods may fit in the Ford but not the Toyota or vice versa.

Personally, I'd buy an f150 Ecoboost and be done with it. The only thing that will get better mileage would be a diesel Colorado.

Go turbo, not naturally aspirated if you'll be in the mountains. Boosted is the way to be at high altitude. I'm not sure why folks think a turbo motor is a negative at higher altitudes. Turbos compress the air charge to make it denser, air is less dense at high altitude, ergo a "compressor" aids power production and reduces power loss at high altitude compared to a naturally aspirated motor. That means less stress on the motor at high altitude, not more.

Seriously - if you'll be doing a lot of mountain driving - Ecoboost Ford F150. I'd spring for a nice interior, stereo, adaptive cruise control, heated and cooled seats, navigation, power mirrors, and skip the offroad tires. Don't forget the locking tonneau cover and interior bed lighting. You'll long for the latter when you show up at some hotel in the middle of the night and can't find your stuff in your dark damn bed.

For what you're hauling an aluminum bed is fine. You're hauling guns and fishing rods, not gravel or heavy equipment.

JAD
01-22-2018, 09:41 PM
I hate to be that guy, but I have to wonder if the rods would fit in a Highlander or Sienna with the 2nd row pulled.

Crazy Dane
01-22-2018, 09:42 PM
I have more money tied up in fishing gear than I do in firearms and I've got a safe full of firearms. I find that a 7 ft. rod needs a minimum of a 6.5 ft. bed. Back before manufacturers added the 6 inches to the bed, it was a squeeze to get a 7 footer diagonally. The 8 foot box would be better. I'm not sure who your targets are but BASS just changed their rules to allow up to 10 foot rods in competition.

I'm in for going and getting a Hi-lux from haji Bob. Sounds fun, when do we leave?

Erik
01-22-2018, 09:45 PM
For hauling fishing rods and rifles, are you sure you need a truck at all? It doesn't sound like you really want one. With an SUV or a wagon rifles would be no problem, you might be able to fit the rods inside and, if not, you could get a roof rack and a locking rod case.

HCM
01-22-2018, 10:07 PM
Probably about as dangerous though :p

More dangerous:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/09/americas/mexico-second-deadliest-conflict-2016/index.html

(CNN)It was the second deadliest conflict in the world last year, but it hardly registered in the international headlines.

As Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan dominated the news agenda, Mexico's drug wars claimed 23,000 lives during 2016 -- second only to Syria, where 50,000 people died as a result of the civil war.
"This is all the more surprising, considering that the conflict deaths [in Mexico] are nearly all attributable to small arms," said John Chipman, chief executive and director-general of the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS), which issued its annual survey of armed conflict on Tuesday.
"The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan claimed 17,000 and 16,000 lives respectively in 2016, although in lethality they were surpassed by conflicts in Mexico and Central America, which have received much less attention from the media and the international community," said Anastasia Voronkova, the editor of the survey.

Sigfan26
01-22-2018, 10:10 PM
Rick

My brother went from a Tundra to an F150 Raptor. He saw a pretty good savings at the pump (Tundra was lucky to average 13MPG, the Raptor tends to average 17-19MPG). The Tundra was an excellent truck, but it had a serious drinking problem.

schüler
01-22-2018, 11:11 PM
How legal is it to grab some friends and plane tickets, raid a Taliban base for a few Hilux trucks, and ship them back?PeallyBhai come for truck. PeallyBhai stay for poppy.

I recently rented a decked out F150 and we have fleet F150 EcoBs at work. Those EcoBs can flat out scoot with Sport/traction control off. They get good mileage if you keep your foot out of it. Almost all the dealership techs say they'd go with the V8 for reliability/towing. None of our EcoBs have serious mileage yet.

A color-matched fiberglass tonneau cover or topper (more room) would look sharp and help keep honest people honest. But they're not the most secure without secure boxes inside, especially if someone knows your overnight inventory. A Diamondback bed cover would be nice, possibly easier secured and definitely allow substantial cargo weight/ATVs on top.

The BASSMaster comment was good - how do your clients transport/secure their rods?

4WD should have locking diffs, not sure if that's standard on modern 4bys. Traction control/braking may l perform the same function.

Mud mats and seat covers/seat organizers are a plus.

OlongJohnson
01-22-2018, 11:39 PM
Check the laws wherever you might have to travel and make sure storage/access/security needs are all accounted for. There are jurisdictions where arms accessible to people while underway is a no-go. Carry license in all states in your territory, if possible.

As long as those issues are covered, I like fully enclosed vehicles.

In weather, tires are everything. A Miata with an LSD and good all-seasons will drive past trucks spinning four off-road tires.

Sigfan26
01-23-2018, 12:25 AM
Almost all the dealership techs say they'd go with the V8 for reliability/towing. None of our EcoBs have serious mileage yet.

Strange. Dealership in Phoenix I bought my Explorer Sport from (that handles the AZ DPS service contract for the Ecoboost Explorers they use) says that Ecoboost is the way to go. Also, multiple officers from AZ DPS are not reporting any Ecoboost issues.

RevolverRob
01-23-2018, 12:29 AM
I'll make an odd suggestion - Ford Flex

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/flex

The Flex can be had with the Ecoboost and AWD. And has 83.2 cubic feet of cargo space with the second and third row of seats folded down. Bonus, you have some extra space to take multiple clients to lunch. And as I recall, you're getting married soon? I dunno if kids are in the picture, but you won't have to upgrade from the Flex until you've acquired kid number six...The ability to tint all the windows and lock everything inside an alarmed car will be a nice bonus to you.

Oh and did I mention the Ecoboost and AWD is good for 0-60 in 6.2 seconds. That's almost as quick as the current generation GTI (5.9 seconds)...

Hell, I've been thinking of getting a 1-2 year old Ecoboost Flex and dropping about 5k in tuning into it. I figure nothing says "fun". Like a 12.5 second grocery getter station wagon. :cool:

Sigfan26
01-23-2018, 12:38 AM
I'll make an odd suggestion - Ford Flex

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/flex

The Flex can be had with the Ecoboost and AWD. And has 83.2 cubic feet of cargo space with the second and third row of seats folded down. Bonus, you have some extra space to take multiple clients to lunch. And as I recall, you're getting married soon? I dunno if kids are in the picture, but you won't have to upgrade from the Flex until you've acquired kid number six...The ability to tint all the windows and lock everything inside an alarmed car will be a nice bonus to you.

Oh and did I mention the Ecoboost and AWD is good for 0-60 in 6.2 seconds. That's almost as quick as the current generation GTI (5.9 seconds)...

Hell, I've been thinking of getting a 1-2 year old Ecoboost Flex and dropping about 5k in tuning into it. I figure nothing says "fun". Like a 12.5 second grocery getter station wagon. :cool:

Just get an Ecoboost Explorer Sport. Love mine. Going on 17k miles in 6 months

greyghost
01-23-2018, 01:09 AM
A few things to consider:

Truck Vault compatibility. If you are going to be transporting firearms and expensive fishing rods for work this is something to consider.

You mentioned not having a lot of experience with trucks. Backup camera, blind spot detection, and backup/cross traffic alert availability are some things to look for in your vehicle selection.

Being able to travel over the Cascades in bad weather. IME most stock truck tires are not great performers in bad weather. It is crap to have to think about changing tires on a new vehicle but good ATs or Snow tires will make an incredible difference. Don't forget to get something with a good clearance if you have to drive through some snow accumulations.

Lots of F150s and Tacos in the the Mountain West but finding a dealer with a 6' bed may take some time especially with options you want.

Not sure if the overall cargo area would work but don't overlook a Subaru Outback, especially if you are selling fly-fishing type rods.

Shotgun
01-23-2018, 01:13 AM
762, what are your co-employees driving who have the same job as you will be performing? That’s the group you need to be studying for a vehicle buying decision. They will have first hand experience with the job requirements. I will say that it’s hard to beat a Suburban for highway driving, and it’s sounds like you are going to be on the road a lot.

Skroob
01-23-2018, 05:21 AM
I would consider the SUV route also. It doesn’t sound like you will be hauling much in weight or size, a Flex with an overhead rod rack would be a perfect set up. Plus the rods are stored up against the ceiling...not down on the floor where everyone expects. That will still leave the floor for firearm storage when transporting. And those rods won’t get dinged around by whatever is rolling about the floor.

jeep45238
01-23-2018, 08:25 AM
Eco boost only gets 14mpg or so real world (buddy has one)

I’d consider the diesels with how much you’ll be driving, the Nissan offering comes with a dedicated cummins, and the Chevy Colorado comes with a smaller diesel for mpg.

Diesel has about 30% more energy per gallon, and runs much leaner (less fuel used per volume air), and at a lower rpm. All of this means more mpg, especially if you’re high mileage it’s enough to offset maintenance costs, and the added range in the tank means you travel longer between fillups. Fillups kill time on the road for highway, since you’re getting 0 mph vs 70mph.

For reference, my dually f350 is a 99, has a 38 gallon tank, over 600 mile range, and gets 20mpg without trying.

Seven_Sicks_Two
01-23-2018, 01:49 PM
762, what are your co-employees driving who have the same job as you will be performing? That’s the group you need to be studying for a vehicle buying decision. They will have first hand experience with the job requirements. I will say that it’s hard to beat a Suburban for highway driving, and it’s sounds like you are going to be on the road a lot.

It sounds like most of them are driving some flavor of F150 with camper shells with a handful of Tacos/4Runners thrown in.

Per Rob's suggestion I was checking out the Flex, but that was roundly rejected by the future Mrs. I think her exact phrase was, "grandma car".

The SUV/wagon idea might have merit. I hadn't seen the ceiling mounted rod racks you guys have suggested. With the seats folded or a rooftop carrier installed, I'd probably be able to transport everything pretty easily while having the ability to make it a "normal" car with a little work.

So... I guess the list is getting a little longer:

- F150 Ecoboost
- Tacoma/4Runner
- Diesel Canyon/Colorado
- Other full-size trucks/SUVs

Sherman A. House DDS
01-23-2018, 06:14 PM
I drive a 2015 TRD 4x4, daily. I drive 142 miles round trip, to work. I get 20 miles to the gallon at highway speed.

I am from WA state, and before this truck, I drove a 1995 Toyota SR5, which I drove cross country, from WA to TN several times. I sold that truck after it went a few miles...710,000 miles that is. It is still on the road (my brother sees it on his Seattle to Tacoma commute). I’ve driven both of these trucks through very inclement weather, as well as taken the truck up and down very treacherous off-road conditions.

Despite whatever meager wealth I manage to amass as a dentist (Sallie Mae smokes my ass monthly, still) I will ALWAYS have a Toyota truck. My 2015’s will have a factory warranty when my 11 year old starts driving in 4 more years. I’ll give him mine and buy another one.

There’s a reason that people around the world love the midsize Toyota trucks. I know I do.

As far as hauling, I live in a condo so I don’t do yard work, but it’ll haul 4 dudes, and a weeks worth of gear, ammo, beef jerky and bubble gum.

civiliandefender.com

schüler
01-23-2018, 06:41 PM
If foreign makes are GTG, then I'd have a TRD Pro models, Tundra or 4Runner.

Seven_Sicks_Two
01-23-2018, 06:46 PM
... I sold that truck after it went a few miles...710,000 miles that is. It is still on the road (my brother sees it on his Seattle to Tacoma commute)...

Holy. Crap.

Sherman A. House DDS
01-23-2018, 06:58 PM
Holy. Crap.

I’m telling you man...they’re the AKM of the truck world.

civiliandefender.com

NickDrak
01-23-2018, 07:13 PM
No doubt Tacoma’s are among the most reliable trucks on the road but everyone I know who has them have similar complaints about the newer models. Horrible gas mileage due to finicky the transmission and cramped interior. I was considering trading in my ‘12 F150 FX4 Ecoboost but after driving a 2017 Taco I was underwhelmed and wasn’t comfortable at all.

The new Chevy Colorado ZR2 with their new Durmax diesel has me interested though.

fixer
01-23-2018, 09:17 PM
I’m telling you man...they’re the AKM of the truck world.

civiliandefender.com

There are an astonishing number of folks out there with 4 runners, tacomas, tundras, Camry, and landcruiser s with 500k+ miles.

RevolverRob
01-23-2018, 09:25 PM
It is extremely hard, in my experience, to go wrong with a Toyota or Honda vehicle.

Throughout college I drove a 1991 Honda Accord that had 310,000 miles on it, when I finally popped a head gasket. It drank oil (or leaked it) at a remarkable rate, but it ran and kept running despite serious abuse.

My parents have a 2007 FJ Cruiser that has 165,000 miles on it and is running fine. By contrast the 2001 F150 that it replaced was starting to rattle apart at 135,000 miles.

___

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a quad cab Tacoma with the 6-speed manual, given the Taco is a wee-bit underpowered and the automatic is kind of sloppy in gear selection, the manual is the way to go.

JAD
01-23-2018, 09:46 PM
The Flex made me pause but I rented one once and they are not well executed (and I like fords). It’s a 9 year old design and shows its age. That’s why I thought of the Sienna (which comes in AWD) and Highlander. Both are supposed to be well executed and reliable. Both have awd. I would bet both have 7’ behind the rear seat. And both are TWENTY GRAND cheaper than an Expedition (the Tahoe is an utter POS — old, cheap, and unreliable, to whatever extent consumer reports can be believed).

equin
01-23-2018, 10:10 PM
I’ve had several trucks for almost 20 years. By far, the most reliable that have taken more abuse with ease were the first generation Tacomas, which are sadly not made any more. Only reason I sold the latest (an ‘03) is because my son’s car seat wouldn’t fit in the back seat. Despite it’s smallish size, I hauled everything with that truck, took it off-roading and even did a couple of 4-diamond rated off-road trails without even knowing about their rating til afterwards. That little truck was unstoppable and unbreakable, and I wish I still had it.

I now drive a ‘15 Tundra. I considered the newer mid-sized Tacomas, but when I realized they were almost the same price as a full-size Tundra, I went with the Tundra. Despite being a Toyota, it was once rated the most “American” of all the trucks, with more American parts than even the domestic brands. Don’t know if that’s still true now, though. It’s also assembled in Texas. So far it’s been reliable with 50K miles on it. Mine has the bed that’s slightly longer than 6’ (maybe 78”?). I’ve easily hauled all kinds of stuff with it. The 5.7L engine is a beast, but it guzzles gas. It averages 14.2 mpg with mixed city/hwy, but that’s with slightly bigger 33” all-terrains. But I knew mileage would be bad when I got it, so I’m not complaining. My only complaint about it is its size. It’s a behemoth compared to the older, smaller Tacomas I was used to. But it’s no more bigger than the other 4-door fullsize Chevys, Fords, Dodges, etc. The main problem with these big trucks is that their long wheelbase makes it harder to off-road in narrower, forested trails compared to Jeeps and older smaller Toyota pickups.

I have no experience with any of the newer domestic brands. I’ve had a fullsize ‘86 and a ‘93 Bronco and also used to drive my Dad’s half-ton GM van back in the 80’s and 90’s. The Broncos, which were similar to the F150s of that time, were a bear to work on and modify compared to the jeep and Toyotas I used to work on. I went through 3 transmissions and a transfer case with them. Seems like most stuff was difficult to get a wrench on, and lifting their front suspensions were a hassle because of the twin traction beams. Drilling through their thick frames was also a chore, and they still managed to bend somehow when my brother-in-law last fourwheeled the ‘93. It was a love-hate relationship with those fullsize Ford Broncos, but their reliability issues made me wary of Ford trucks. Of course, those were much older models. Don’t know how the newer Fords hold up. Never had any problems with my Dad’s half-ton GM vans, but those were older models, too. Don’t know anything about the Dodge or Titan trucks.

HCM
01-23-2018, 11:43 PM
Eco boost only gets 14mpg or so real world (buddy has one)

I’d consider the diesels with how much you’ll be driving, the Nissan offering comes with a dedicated cummins, and the Chevy Colorado comes with a smaller diesel for mpg.

Diesel has about 30% more energy per gallon, and runs much leaner (less fuel used per volume air), and at a lower rpm. All of this means more mpg, especially if you’re high mileage it’s enough to offset maintenance costs, and the added range in the tank means you travel longer between fillups. Fillups kill time on the road for highway, since you’re getting 0 mph vs 70mph.

For reference, my dually f350 is a 99, has a 38 gallon tank, over 600 mile range, and gets 20mpg without trying.

Your 99 diesel also does not have a DEF system, which is mandatory on all new diesels.

It has been a constant PITA with my 2012 Chevy 2500. Just has it’s fourth trip to the shop in two years for issues relating to false low DEF readings causing the computer to restrict / step down the speed to force you to add DEF. There is no way I would ever buy another new diesel with a DEF system.

DEF fluid is corrosive and causes the sensors in the DEF tank to go bad. DEF fluid also has a limited shelf life and is temperature sensitive. Add old or bad DEF and you will not be going anywhere.

Had a 2013 F150 v8 as a work truck for a while and it was great. Just took a road trip to Louisiana in a ‘17 F150 V8. Only negative was a lot of whistle / road noise from the windshield at highway speed. Not sure it it was that truck or just the new design.

jeep45238
01-24-2018, 07:00 AM
While true, we haven’t had any def issues with our work f350 6.7 or Ram 2500 6.7. However, they frequently tow heavy loads, which to my understanding results in the def rarely being utilized in those conditions (still uses it when unloaded). We buy from the nearest source when low, with whatever funnel is handy if it doesn’t come with a spout. I treat it like I’m filling up for fuel and try to top it off then - yes it was annoying at first, but I never ran low on it either that way.

The thing that’s nice about def trucks - double the torque of non-def trucks (the ram 6.7 is at what, 900 ftlb now? My 7.3 is rated at 500). Typically higher tow ratings as well.

LittleLebowski
01-24-2018, 07:14 AM
I'd look at a Colorado/Canyon 4wd longbed. 25MPG w/ the 305HP V6 or 30MPG with the diesel.

LittleLebowski
01-24-2018, 07:44 AM
Your 99 diesel also does not have a DEF system, which is mandatory on all new diesels.

It has been a constant PITA with my 2012 Chevy 2500. Just has it’s fourth trip to the shop in two years for issues relating to false low DEF readings causing the computer to restrict / step down the speed to force you to add DEF. There is no way I would ever buy another new diesel with a DEF system.

DEF fluid is corrosive and causes the sensors in the DEF tank to go bad. DEF fluid also has a limited shelf life and is temperature sensitive. Add old or bad DEF and you will not be going anywhere.

Had a 2013 F150 v8 as a work truck for a while and it was great. Just took a road trip to Louisiana in a ‘17 F150 V8. Only negative was a lot of whistle / road noise from the windshield at highway speed. Not sure it it was that truck or just the new design.

Can you not do a delete?

BN
01-24-2018, 07:50 AM
That’s why I thought of the Sienna (which comes in AWD) and Highlander. Both are supposed to be well executed and reliable. Both have awd. I would bet both have 7’ behind the rear seat.

I drive a 2014 Toyota Sienna AWD van. It's my second Sienna and I have had at least one Toyota in the stable since 1977. I am a fan. :)

Yes there is slightly over 7 feet behind the front seat. With the third row seats folded down there is lots of room between the rear seats for rods laying down. The second row seats are removable. I have considered other vehicles, but nothing fills all my wants and needs better than an AWD Toyota van.

Doc_Glock
01-24-2018, 08:29 AM
I drive a 2014 Toyota Sienna AWD van. It's my second Sienna and I have had at least one Toyota in the stable since 1977. I am a fan. :)

Yes there is slightly over 7 feet behind the front seat. With the third row seats folded down there is lots of room between the rear seats for rods laying down. The second row seats are removable. I have considered other vehicles, but nothing fills all my wants and needs better than an AWD Toyota van.

Have you used the AWD in slick conditions? How did it work?

I am considering one to replace our young 200k mile fine running 2002 4runner which simply is overkill for town driving. The 4runner is reliable, but otherwise completely uncompelling as a car: slow, rough riding, poor handling, noisy, cramped inside. It is amazing in dirt, but we rarely need that.

The open diff/traction control system is actually superb in ice and snow, but again rarely needed.

Depmur
01-24-2018, 08:36 AM
My vote would be a F-150 Super-crew with the 2.7 eco boost engine. I have a 2015 with 73k on the odometer, no issues and average 19 MPG. I would go with the XLT package and add other items needed from the options. Might still be able to find a 2017 at a discount. If looking at smaller trucks/SUV’s I would go Toyota just make sure you fit in a Taco, I don’t and took a bath on a 2009 model. ThenHighlander is a great vehicle, wife has one with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BN
01-24-2018, 08:40 AM
Have you used the AWD in slick conditions? How did it work?

It works great. I live in the country on a township road. We built a new home across the road from the farmhouse where I grew up. Just below our driveways is a spot where the road becomes a little steeper. Hundreds (no exaggeration) of cars have become stuck there when snow is on the road. I just drive up it like it is summer. :) I stop at the mailbox to pick up the mail and then drive up our steep driveway. We don't plow our driveway unless the snow is deep. And then only so it won't pack down and become ice. AWD drive is great.

Doc_Glock
01-24-2018, 08:43 AM
It works great. I live in the country on a township road. We built a new home across the road from the farmhouse where I grew up. Just below our driveways is a spot where the road becomes a little steeper. Hundreds (no exaggeration) of cars have become stuck there when snow is on the road. I just drive up it like it is summer. :) I stop at the mailbox to pick up the mail and then drive up our steep driveway. We don't plow our driveway unless the snow is deep. And then only so it won't pack down and become ice. AWD drive is great.

Perfect. That is just how we would use it as well. Thank you.

jeep45238
01-24-2018, 08:58 AM
Can you not do a delete?

You can, but not legally (federal emissions laws) - that said, my last mustang shipped with 4 cats, and it had none when I sold it. If you get emissions tested, then I'd imagine deletes are out of the picture (but deleting the def and the cat can really uncork the newer diesel engines).

It might also come down to factory warranties and keeping those intact on newer diesels - not sure how long the warranties are, but if they're in effect, why risk loosing it?

LittleLebowski
01-24-2018, 09:21 AM
It might also come down to factory warranties and keeping those intact on newer diesels - not sure how long the warranties are, but if they're in effect, why risk loosing it?

Agree, but on a 2012, seems like worth trying since the warranty is almost certainly gone.

MSparks909
01-24-2018, 09:38 AM
Agree, but on a 2012, seems like worth trying since the warranty is almost certainly gone.

X2. I deleted my 2014 F250 and never looked back. No emissions testing in my state. No more Regen and DEF bullshit. I’ll be keeping this truck a long time.

As to the OP, I think a Suburban or Expedition would suit you well. You can get the 3.5 Ecoboost in the 2015 to present Expeditions. I’d look for a 2015-2017 Expedition EL 4x4. You get 3.73 gears, 8’ + of storage space with both the 2nd and 3rd rows folded down.

HCM
01-24-2018, 11:24 AM
Can you not do a delete?

If you mean remove the DEF system - it is technically possible but it is illegal to do so on a street vehicle.

https://www.tceq.texas.gov/airquality/mobilesource/vetech/tampering.html

The delete kits you see for sale are officially for “off road only” in the same way that those “solvent trap” thread adaptors at the gun show are for attaching an oil filter to avoid making a mess when cleaning your gun.

The real issue is once you delete the DEF system no dealer will touch it. Then you can’t even trade in the truck or sell it other than private sale.

https://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/exhaust/

Mntneer357
01-24-2018, 11:46 AM
Tacoma:

As a guy who drives a 2012 quad-cab 4x4 Tacoma, one "pro" you've left off is reliability. My Tacoma (with 80K+ on the clock), and the 4Runner I owned before it, have been as reliable as one could possibly expect. Other than standard maintenance, there were no unhappy episodes or mechanical gremlins to deal with.

Sure, every manufacturer puts out a dog-turd at some point. My experience has been when you plunk down your dollars for a Toyota, you can generally expect the damn thing to run and keep running for a long time. No manufacturer is perfect, but I rank Toyota a hell of a lot more strongly in reliability than any "domestic" name-plate. Apropos of nothing, my Tacoma was assembled in San Antonio. So for all those "it ain't no 'Murican truck", SATX is still a part of the US, right? Thought so.

Listen, I'm nobody. But, my gear does see actual use. Glock, Benelli, Toyota and Seiko are just a couple names *I* think of when reliability is brought up. Your mileage may vary. Best of luck in your decision, sir!

HCM
01-24-2018, 11:55 AM

That is another issue. Technically the DEF system is not considered part of the powetrain so the 10 year / 100k powertrain warranty does not apply. The DEF system has a 5 year / 50k warranty.

If you’re thinking that is BS since the truck won’t run without it you are correct. To their credit Chevy covered the latest repair as a “courtesy” though I had to raise a stink for them to do so.

I have a work vehicle so this truck is just under 70k so I have 2 years / 30 k left on the power train.

Given the DEF issues and two incidents of the fuel filter attachment point / housing cracking and leaking fuel I am simply trying to decide what to trade it in on. Likely an F150. What ever my next vehicle is it, will NOT be a diesel with a DEF system.

HCM
01-24-2018, 11:57 AM
X2. I deleted my 2014 F250 and never looked back. No emissions testing in my state. No more Regen and DEF bullshit. I’ll be keeping this truck a long time.

As to the OP, I think a Suburban or Expedition would suit you well. You can get the 3.5 Ecoboost in the 2015 to present Expeditions. I’d look for a 2015-2017 Expedition EL 4x4. You get 3.73 gears, 8’ + of storage space with both the 2nd and 3rd rows folded down.

My plan in buying the 2500 was to keep it for 15-20 years like my prior vehicles. However I’ve had more issues with this truck than all my prior vehicles combined. Not a recipe for a long term vehicle.

BN
01-24-2018, 12:38 PM
As far as made in the USA: http://fortune.com/2015/06/29/cars-made-in-america/

The full list of Cars.com 2015 American Made Index winners:

Toyota Camry
Toyota Sienna
Chevrolet Traverse
Honda Odyssey
GMC Acadia
Buick Enclave
Chevrolet Corvette

Seven_Sicks_Two
01-29-2018, 11:45 AM
Sorry for the thread necro...

I spent the weekend test driving trucks/SUVs/crossovers and wound up buying a 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice, recommendations, and input. Y'all are awesome.

taroman
01-29-2018, 12:22 PM
I'll be the contrarian here.
Hauling rifles and fishing gear?
Look at a Ford Transit.
Can get them in 3 lengths and 3 heights. Pick what you need.
Oregon Lotto bought a fleet of them for hauling machines, tickets, etc.
Plenty of special security options, too.

LOKNLOD
01-29-2018, 12:41 PM
Sorry for the thread necro...

I spent the weekend test driving trucks/SUVs/crossovers and wound up buying a 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice, recommendations, and input. Y'all are awesome.

Awesome truck. Congrats!

RJ
01-29-2018, 02:29 PM
If Ford is still using the Michelin LTX M/S2 as an OE tire it's a really good highway tire and about an $800 value over the others OE tires.

I agree the LTX MS2 is a great tire. I put a set of Defenders on my Ram 2500 last summer and they were a big improvement over the Firestone’s that came on the truck.

The ‘Defender’ is their new product line that encompasses the LTX, announced in 15 I think it was:

http://www.rubbernews.com/article/20150729/NEWS/150729954/michelin-consolidates-lines-under-premier-defender-name