PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Ranch rifle

Clay
01-21-2018, 08:24 PM
Anyone have one of these? Is it a good setup or are you paying too much for the name? I admit I like the idea of a serious guy like Clint Smith doing the thinking so I don't have to.

https://thunderranchinc.com/firearms/

I am looking to buy a couple of no frills lightweight rifles for me and my wife. I just want to buy a couple of rifles and be done with it - no swapping parts and changing stocks. I just want to throw a light, a sling, and some type of optic on it and be done. Any ideas?

Thanks

Grey
01-21-2018, 08:29 PM
Anyone have one of these? Is it a good setup or are you paying too much for the name? I admit I like the idea of a serious guy like Clint Smith doing the thinking so I don't have to.

https://thunderranchinc.com/firearms/

I am looking to buy a couple of no frills lightweight rifles for me and my wife. I just want to buy a couple of rifles and be done with it - no swapping parts and changing stocks. I just want to throw a light, a sling, and some type of optic on it and be done. Any ideas?

ThanksIf you want to spend 2k, then Knights Armament is my go to recommendation. Also it Depends on the purpose. If It's just to have then a Colt 6920 is hard to beat for a barebones rifle.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Clay
01-21-2018, 08:33 PM
Is there a specific model you would recommend? Thanks.

Grey
01-21-2018, 08:42 PM
Is there a specific model you would recommend? Thanks.SR 15 E3 Mod 2 in MLOK is what id buy. You won't need to upgrade anything on it.

Clay
01-21-2018, 08:44 PM
Thanks.

El Cid
01-21-2018, 08:46 PM
The top one has Keymod and I'd prefer M-lok. But that cut away magwell seems like a gimmick that has no place on a serious use rifle to me.

Some ready to go options:
Colt Trooper
Colt OEM2
Daniel Defense (any free floated with M-lok)
BCM (free floated with M-lok)
FN

The 6920 as mentioned is good but in this day and age I see no reason to get a rifle that isn't free floated.

Sigfan26
01-21-2018, 08:56 PM
I still like a forward assist on my rifles and dislike the window cuts on the mag well, so I’d pass on those. I’d honestly look at one of the LaRue Ultimate kits with assembly and test fire and a LaRue Lower
https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit/
Also, Colt Trooper or a 6720 and add a free float.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Goodtimes
01-21-2018, 10:22 PM
I’ll second Grey, if 2k dollars is what you’re looking at spending on a rifle, buy an SR-15. The MOD 2 is not only the best SR-15 produced to date, is the best AR-15 produced to date. KAC builds quality, no frills rifles that speak for them selves. They just flat out work.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180122/455299ed9fb62ac0adfa7e906ae2fc95.jpg

Cookie Monster
01-21-2018, 10:26 PM
I am bias having trained with Clint 6 or 7 times. I am a handgun guy so know nothing about rifles. I bought 2 Thunder Ranch Noveske rifles because I didn’t have to think about it.

Buy 2 and 100 Mags and lots of ammo. Vickers sling and Surefire Scout Light. You’d be solid.

I support the plan.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
01-21-2018, 11:35 PM
Clint’s got *another* TR Rifle eh? Sim. to Cookie I’ve had a few (12+, P/SLR/SG/Sub) classes w/ Clint going back to the 90’s when he was still in Tx, hell we even hosted him for a few before he moseyed up to Oregon.

Sure there are others here (GJM comes to mind) that trained w/ him back then, perhaps they’ll weigh as it’s late & I’m crashing but may add my .02 here later this week.

HCM
01-21-2018, 11:56 PM
The top one has Keymod and I'd prefer M-lok. But that cut away magwell seems like a gimmick that has no place on a serious use rifle to me.

Some ready to go options:
Colt Trooper
Colt OEM2
Daniel Defense (any free floated with M-lok)
BCM (free floated with M-lok)
FN

The 6920 as mentioned is good but in this day and age I see no reason to get a rifle that isn't free floated.

This ^^^^ .

As noted, there have been several thunder ranch rifles. The old Noveske versions were pretty solid but this version is not worth $2k.

I’ll add:

Colt CCU (6960)
Any Sionics or Sons of Liberty Gun Works Model with a free float an MLOK.

If you budget is $2k of these choices will get you into a rifle plus light, sling and possibly an optic depending on what you want.

If you budget for the rifle alone is 2k - KAC or a Hodge if you can find one.

Another option - buy a quality complete lower such as a BCM for about $400 and buy the new Geissele USASOC upper via brownells.

Wake27
01-22-2018, 01:34 AM
SR 15 E3 Mod 2 in MLOK is what id buy. You won't need to upgrade anything on it.

I think it still comes with an A2 grip so I’d upgrade that. That’s about it though. I’ve had two factory Noveskes and a few different BCM combos. I love the ones I still have, but Knights tempt me more and more every day.

SteveB
01-22-2018, 07:56 AM
I am looking to buy a couple of no frills lightweight rifles for me and my wife.

I don’t think of $2K rifles as “no frills”, not with LE6920’s out there for less than half of that. Assuming you want an upgraded handguard:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/719014177/redirect

ASH556
01-22-2018, 12:13 PM
These requests pop up from time to time and whereas it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to work on AR's, there is more to it than youtube cleeti would have you believe. I've toyed with the notion of starting a business of custom AR assemblies. The inventory management has always been the hiccup as there are probably millions of possible configurations between barrels, hand guards, stocks, grips, etc. At the same time, I think there's peace of mind for folks to be able to purchase and receive a complete rifle assembled and tested by someone with some experience and certs to back it up. If folks didn't mind waiting 2-4 weeks after ordering for me to source all the parts and then assemble it, it might work.

To the OP, I would recommend a Daniel Defense V7LW. I just upgraded one of jlw 's rifles with the new MFR Mlok hand guard from the OG round MFR it came with. Shaved noticeable weight and a very nice hand guard/lockup system to boot. Colt Trooper or Combat Unit Carbines would also be great factory-configured rifles.

BillSWPA
01-22-2018, 05:00 PM
These requests pop up from time to time and whereas it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to work on AR's, there is more to it than youtube cleeti would have you believe. I've toyed with the notion of starting a business of custom AR assemblies. The inventory management has always been the hiccup as there are probably millions of possible configurations between barrels, hand guards, stocks, grips, etc. At the same time, I think there's peace of mind for folks to be able to purchase and receive a complete rifle assembled and tested by someone with some experience and certs to back it up. If folks didn't mind waiting 2-4 weeks after ordering for me to source all the parts and then assemble it, it might work.

To the OP, I would recommend a Daniel Defense V7LW. I just upgraded one of jlw 's rifles with the new MFR Mlok hand guard from the OG round MFR it came with. Shaved noticeable weight and a very nice hand guard/lockup system to boot. Colt Trooper or Combat Unit Carbines would also be great factory-configured rifles.

2-4 weeks does not seem the least bit unreasonable for something built to customer specs. The big hurdles would be getting the licensing you would need and negotiating below retail pricing from your parts sources so you can be competitive and still make a profit. In order to avoid going into serious debt, you would need to start small, build and sell a few rifles while showing what they can do, and plow the profit back into growth.

Paladin
01-22-2018, 06:05 PM
I’m in the KAC camp! It is to me the very best ar15 available today, buy once cry once but have something reliable that needs absolutely nothing added but optic, light, and sling.23209
Rick

Default.mp3
01-22-2018, 08:07 PM
Are the KAC SR-15s really considered lightweight? The Colt 6720 or Daniel Defense V7 LW are lightweight, but the SR-15s are the same weight as the 6920.

I guess the question is does Clay using lightweight as a casual descriptor or as an actual more specific designation?

Clay
01-22-2018, 08:32 PM
A 6 to 7 pound rifle would be great. Less than 6 is pretty awesome - that's one thing that caught my eye with the Thunder Ranch model. I don't know much about AR's, but 5.9 pounds seems pretty darn light. I just don't want to sacrifice reliability.

ASH556
01-22-2018, 08:50 PM
A 6 to 7 pound rifle would be great. Less than 6 is pretty awesome - that's one thing that caught my eye with the Thunder Ranch model. I don't know much about AR's, but 5.9 pounds seems pretty darn light. I just don't want to sacrifice reliability.

For reference, the DD V7lw is 6.05lb and doesn’t cut any reliability corners with oddball skeleton magwells and such. Add an Aimpoint T2 and a Surefire M300 scout light and you’re right at 6.5lb.