PDA

View Full Version : Where are you traveling this year?

TheNewbie
01-21-2018, 07:13 AM
I'm sitting in DFW Airport at the moment waiting for a flight to Cancun, Mexico.

Do you have any major travel plans this year?

gtae07
01-21-2018, 08:31 AM
I'm sitting in DFW Airport at the moment waiting for a flight to Cancun, Mexico.

Do you have any major travel plans this year?

Wish we did. Went to Ireland last year for our 10th anniversary and had a great time, but with my wife's medical stuff (hospital stay and testing we just finished, and upcoming probable brain surgery) eating up this year's discretionary funds and time off, we're looking at maybe a short road trip to somewhere like Charleston or Asheville or something. Maybe we'll even take our son.

LOKNLOD
01-21-2018, 10:15 AM
Last year was the biggest travel year for me on record - 7 or 8 work out of state work trips plus a week in South Africa and a week in London.

This year I don’t wanna go anywhere :p

On the other hand, we will roll over 15 on the marriage odometer this year and I’ve promised we’ll do something special.

My wife’s hopes have been set on Hawaii so it’s the most likely culprit but there are a few others in the running. After the recent trips being very busy this one needs to be more chill.

I’m leery of committing until i know the status of my (potential) annual bonus as I don’t want to derail other financial plans in the name of a vacation, and it will help determine what we’re willing to spend.

If anyone has a favorite lazy, tropical beachy getaway spot, I’m open to ideas... and hopefully there are still things to do because laying on the beach is f’ing boring after the first hour of “Ah yeah” passes.

rob_s
01-21-2018, 10:39 AM
Had I not met my wife, I frankly would have probably never left the state, let alone the country. I didn't have a passport, and didn't plan on ever getting one. My idea of a vacation was to go to a 3-day shooting class or a major match, and then go visit friends a couple hours drive away from time to time.

She, on the other hand, is a travel/vacation junkie. I still could take or leave it but I love going on these trips and things with her and the girls.

We already have plans to go to Seattle this summer (and she and the girls will go on to San Fran & LA for ten days after that), the Newport Folk Festival (an annual tradition for her and I, far less hippie than you'd think) and we're talking about... some sort of ski place after new years. Breckenridge.. Jackson Hole... I dunno. Sounds crazy to me but a lot of them are already booked up.

blues
01-21-2018, 10:39 AM
If anyone has a favorite lazy, tropical beachy getaway spot, I’m open to ideas... and hopefully there are still things to do because laying on the beach is f’ing boring after the first hour of “Ah yeah” passes.

There's always Lake Eufaula! (As for me, I'm probably going to hell in a handbasket!) ;)

JRCHolsters
01-21-2018, 10:44 AM
We are thinking about China in the fall. The flights to Beijing are shockingly cheap, even from Boise. Someplace I have always wanted to check out, but figured it was out of reach. The wife said she never wanted to go to Asia(or leave the country for that matter), but after a few vacations abroad, her mind has opened up to interesting places.

mtnbkr
01-21-2018, 10:47 AM
We typically go to OBX or the WestNC/EastTN mountains. Last year, for something different, we went to NYC. We had a good time. The kids have never been in a city of that scale, so it was an experience for them. We took the train (much more convenient for us than flying or driving), which in of itself was a treat. We saw the main tourist traps, ate good food, and did some shopping. Just observing the "human zoo" that NYC is was fun.

We did Disney 5 years ago and the family is again talking about it. I'm trying to talk them out of doing a big trip this year and instead putting that money towards Disney for next year. The plan is to splurge and stay at the Animal Kingdom hotel so we can see the critters from the hotel balcony.

If we do that, then we'll probably do a "long weekend" kind of trip. Where, I don't know yet.

Chris

BehindBlueI's
01-21-2018, 10:59 AM
I think we're staying stateside this year. TX in the spring, FL in the fall. Unless I find a smoking deal on airfare, it'll be 2019 before we go abroad again.

TGS
01-21-2018, 11:05 AM
Personal: Mediterranean cruise hitting Italy, Sicily, Monaco, Spain, and France. Looking to extend by a week and see some other places in Europe....maybe Switzerland, Bavaria, Austria, Czech Republic, or the historical powder-keg of Europe. Maybe we'll just spend an extra week in Spain since the cruise ends there.

Work: Dunno yet, but I'll be overseas probably 1/3-1/2 of the time.

rob_s
01-21-2018, 11:22 AM
We did Disney 5 years ago and the family is again talking about it. I'm trying to talk them out of doing a big trip this year and instead putting that money towards Disney for next year. The plan is to splurge and stay at the Animal Kingdom hotel so we can see the critters from the hotel balcony.

We had annual passes this past year. We went a lot, and the wife and girls went without me even more. We started out last January with our inaugural trip staying at the Wilderness Lodge. We did one big final flow-out trip earlier this month, stayed at the Contemporary, went the "money no option" route.

It was phenomenal.

These are my main takeaway bits of advice for anyone going to Disney.

If the kids can't walk all day under their own power, they stay home.
I figure this means no kid under 5. I realize this is not a popular opinion, but I just don't get what anyone finds fun about strollers, crying, diapers, and all the other associated "baby" problems when at a major theme park. None of the parents or other family members I see enduring this seem to be having any fun, and the kid clearly isn't either, nor is the kid going to have any memory of the trip. Or frankly what they were riding on 30 minutes ago. Our kids are now 7 and 9 and I frankly think we stumbled on the perfect age where they are old enough to remember and enjoy it without causing us extra work, and young enough to still "believe" in all of it.

Don't do annual passes.
While it was a "magical" year for our family, I rarely got to go and I kind of feel like the repeated trips cheapened things a bit for the girls and made it less special. I would have rather spent all that money we dropped this past year on one massive mega disney trip.

Stay on-property, at a Magic Kingdom hotel if you can.
Make your reservations at least 90 days out, and maddly grab fast passes 60 days out at 7 AM est. Google this if you don't know what i'm taking about.

Get the dining pass.
It's just easier, even though it probably doesn't save you any money. For me, it made planning the meals a little easier.

Have dinner at the California Grille on top of the Contemporary at least once in your life and stay for the fireworks.
It's unbelievable.

The Safari ride at Animal Kingdom is the best ride in the any of the parks.
You need to go on it at least once in the day, and once in the dark.

You can't drink in the Magic Kingdom.
Plan accordingly.

jeep45238
01-21-2018, 11:25 AM
Sitting in the Dominican Republic headed home after a week.

Anybody doing travel plans in the Midwest region this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luckyman
01-21-2018, 11:35 AM
Last year the big trip was South Aftrica and neighboring countries.

This year it’s Peru.

My wife is a complete international travel junkie with family and friends everywhere. She’s also going to Australia, Japan, and Korea in two other trips while I am staying home working to pay for our health insurance and travel [emoji1]

On the domestic front, planning to check out Boise and Colorado Springs.

mtnbkr
01-21-2018, 12:24 PM
If the kids can't walk all day under their own power, they stay home.
I figure this means no kid under 5. I realize this is not a popular opinion, but I just don't get what anyone finds fun about strollers, crying, diapers, and all the other associated "baby" problems when at a major theme park. None of the parents or other family members I see enduring this seem to be having any fun, and the kid clearly isn't either, nor is the kid going to have any memory of the trip. Or frankly what they were riding on 30 minutes ago. Our kids are now 7 and 9 and I frankly think we stumbled on the perfect age where they are old enough to remember and enjoy it without causing us extra work, and young enough to still "believe" in all of it.
When we went last time, our youngest was 4 and the oldest was 9. Thing 2 had a good time, but not as good as Thing 1. Thing 2 was also scared of most of the costumed characters. We laugh about it now (Thing 2 has clear memories). They will be 10 and 15 next year, so no issues there.

Don't do annual passes.
Being in VA and having school-age kids makes annual passes a no-go for us.

Stay on-property, at a Magic Kingdom hotel if you can.
Make your reservations at least 90 days out, and maddly grab fast passes 60 days out at 7 AM est. Google this if you don't know what i'm taking about.
Get the dining pass.
It's just easier, even though it probably doesn't save you any money. For me, it made planning the meals a little easier.
That's the plan and what we did last year.

Have dinner at the California Grille on top of the Contemporary at least once in your life and stay for the fireworks.
It's unbelievable.
We'll keep that in mind. Last time, we saw the fireworks from the street level.

The Safari ride at Animal Kingdom is the best ride in the any of the parks.
You need to go on it at least once in the day, and once in the dark.
We did the daytime ride last time, but I'll keep a night ride in mind.

You can't drink in the Magic Kingdom.
Plan accordingly.
Wife doesn't drink and I'm a light drinker, so it's not a huge issue for us.

Chris

Totem Polar
01-21-2018, 01:43 PM
Does driving across the state to TacCon count?

Laying low this year, aside from work travel regionally. Sort of have a chubby for Iceland though... should probably scratch the itch while Icelandair flights are still subsidized.

LSP552
01-21-2018, 01:55 PM
Hopefully back to Alaska in Aug. Depends on how much leave time I burn with the bum leg.

TheNewbie
01-21-2018, 02:00 PM
I think we're staying stateside this year. TX in the spring, FL in the fall. Unless I find a smoking deal on airfare, it'll be 2019 before we go abroad again.

What part of Texas?

I'm looking at the ocean and eating Mexican food at this very moment.

TheNewbie
01-21-2018, 02:03 PM
Personal: Mediterranean cruise hitting Italy, Sicily, Monaco, Spain, and France. Looking to extend by a week and see some other places in Europe....maybe Switzerland, Bavaria, Austria, Czech Republic, or the historical powder-keg of Europe. Maybe we'll just spend an extra week in Spain since the cruise ends there.

How different is the crowd on a cruise like that vs the typical gulf of Mexico cruise?

RJ
01-21-2018, 02:33 PM

Bonaire.

Cayman Islands.

Curaçao.

Turks and Caicos.

These would be my faves. It may or not have to do with the Scuba Diving, of course. [emoji41]

RJ
01-21-2018, 02:41 PM
How different is the crowd on a cruise like that vs the typical gulf of Mexico cruise?

I did an Eastern Med Cruise once, left out of Athens and out of Venice. Visited Greece, Rhodes, Istanbul, cruised the Bosporus, etc.

I found generally more upmarket European; Brits, Germans, Swiss, Swedes, Russians, Ukrainians, etc. etc. Elevator rides are more, ah, multilingual lol. Most everyone at this price point speaks some English, or at least some. Learning a bit of French, German, Spanish or even Russian might not be a bad idea.

Lots of black clothes. Much lower rate of Yuge DSLRs, and almost no shorts or Hawaiian shirts. Few fanny packs (bum bags in the UK).

It was a lot of fun though.

Walking among the ruins of the original Olympic Games is something that everyone should experience.

RJ
01-21-2018, 02:43 PM
Sitting in the Dominican Republic headed home after a week.

Anybody doing travel plans in the Midwest region this year?

I’ll be in Little Rock in late March for a three day conference. :cool:

BobM
01-21-2018, 02:46 PM
I’ll be in Little Rock in late March for a three day conference. :cool:

Me too. It's the only travel I have planned for this year

Wondering Beard
01-21-2018, 02:47 PM
Walking among the ruins of the original Olympic Games is something that everyone should experience.

If one is doing Greece it is indeed something to see. I'd add the Oracle at Delphi, Mycenae, and of course the Parthenon.

TGS
01-21-2018, 03:06 PM

Check out the Carambola resort, owned and operated by Marriott, in St Croix, USVI.

We absolutely loved it. It's a very charasmatic island that is pretty sleepy. We like to go places during off-times, so we went in early December before the Xmas holiday crowd came. VERY sleepy....most places close at 9pm, there's virtually no night life. Lots of great places to eat that are really fun to discover. Lots of things to do if you want, as well......a plantation, two of the world's 9 biolumescent bays, some hiking, check out the two small cities of Christiansted and Frederiksted, check out the easternmost point of US territory, some really amazing views, and in general it's just fun to rent a car and explore the island. So there's plenty to do (we went for 9 days), while still being depopulated enough to feel not-too-touristy.

The best meal we've ever had in our life was at a restaurant in St Croix, at the low season staffed by a local chef, a high-school chef apprentice, and a mainland 'expat" as the manager/server. Even besides that place, pretty much everywhere we ate was straight awesome.

Bonuses are that you're still on US territory with most of our protections, and the locals are very friendly without any of the racism/resentment found in Hawaii.

TGS
01-21-2018, 03:09 PM

I've honestly never been on any cruise, but my assumptions mirrored Rich's experience. I imagine it's more grown up. Lots of wine taster types. No kids, and if there are then they're fairly behaved and not monsters ruining everybody's time.

I always pictured Caribbean cruises to be full of strung out parents with annoying kids and people whose biggest thrill in life has been a zip-line. Except for our whoa-gay friend, Chris, who's gay-party-cruise pictures are fucking hilarious.

luckyman
01-21-2018, 03:24 PM

I thought Prague and Vienna were both awesome. In particular I really liked interacting with the Czech people.

RevolverRob
01-21-2018, 03:45 PM
Last year - California (Berkeley/SF), Seattle, Calgary

This year - Albuquerque (maybe twice or even thrice), California (SF/Santa Cruz), Indianapolis, France (Montpelier).

For the France trip, it'll be for work for five days but I'll stretch it into two weeks. The wife will fly out and we'll meet in Marseilles and then either go north to Lyon or west to Toulouse and then up to Paris and leave via CDG back to the States. I'm stoked, it'll be her first time in France. I love France.

And potentially an extended 5-week trip through all of the deserts of the American Southwest with a Desert Ecology Field Course in early Summer.

That doesn't count regular trips back to Texas, which isn't traveling. It's "going home".

PNWTO
01-21-2018, 04:27 PM
Boise for the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers Rendezvous then a Cabo trip. Several other regional hunting, fishing, backpacking, and environmental trips planned.

Looking at spending next Christmas at Whistler, just the wife and I.

Kyle Reese
01-21-2018, 04:35 PM
I'd love to get out to Sedona, AZ this November, to celebrate my 5th wedding anniversary. Let's see if that is in the cards when I look at the leave calendar on Tuesday.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

RJ
01-21-2018, 04:40 PM
I'd love to get out to Sedona, AZ this November, to celebrate my 5th wedding anniversary. Let's see if that is in the cards when I look at the leave calendar on Tuesday.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

That place is awesome.

TGS
01-21-2018, 05:04 PM
Last year - California (Berkeley/SF), Seattle, Calgary

This year - Albuquerque (maybe twice or even thrice), California (SF/Santa Cruz), Indianapolis, France (Montpelier).

For the France trip, it'll be for work for five days but I'll stretch it into two weeks. The wife will fly out and we'll meet in Marseilles and then either go north to Lyon or west to Toulouse and then up to Paris and leave via CDG back to the States. I'm stoked, it'll be her first time in France. I love France.

And potentially an extended 5-week trip through all of the deserts of the American Southwest with a Desert Ecology Field Course in early Summer.

That doesn't count regular trips back to Texas, which isn't traveling. It's "going home".

If you are by any chance driving to ABQ, try taking a route that will take you through Cloudcroft, White Sands, and the Valley of Fire. On the way out of the Valley of Fire, stop in quaint little San Antonio (little over an hour south of ABQ) for dinner at Buckhorn Tavern......one of the best burgers I've ever had. Their green chile burger (and green chiles in NM, in general) is what turned me on to hot food.

BehindBlueI's
01-21-2018, 05:44 PM
Chicago to Athens is under $500 a ticket during Spring Break...that's not terrible.

RJ
01-21-2018, 07:01 PM
Has anybody been to Germany, specifically Bavaria, specifically Munich, lately?

My wife and I were kicking around the idea of picking up a new car there, then driving/touring the Alps for a couple weeks before dropping it off to ship back to the States. But we weren’t sure of how things were these days with regard to the, ah, recent changes in population demographic in Europe.

I was born in Germany (Dad was a teacher in DoDDS System in K Town, mom was a Nurse at Landstuhl Hospital.) my wife is similar, and oddly enough went to HS in Munich (Bad Tolz). I’ve also been to Hanover (Paderborn) as well as Ramstein AFB for work, so I’m good being in Germany; es ist mein Heimatt. :)

Rex G
01-21-2018, 07:16 PM
My second grandson was born shortly before Christmas, less than a year after grandson number one. My son will soon finish his leave, and return to work. On 27 January, I will be retired. So, I will be traveling quite a bit between Bellaire and Nederland, Texas, a 100-mile drive, each way. Yes, the flat SE Texas coastal prairie is rather featureless!

Spring Migration will be a good time for us to photograph birds, without traveling far. My retirement will allow us to go, when the weather is right, rather than to coincide with my weekends. (My wife retired in 2015.) I will probably be buying a better camera, for myself, and a better lens, for my wife.

We have set no itinerary for long trips. We may well scout some rural land that is for sale. I have been writing some things on the calendar, such as the large gun show in April, in Oklahoma, and the Blade Show in Cobb County, just outside Atlanta, Georgia, in June. It would be nice to return to the Natchez Trace Parkway, and the Blue Ridge area.

We may well travel to training events, which are yet to be determined. My wife and I both like to shoot with guns and cameras.

Yes, this is modest. The big stuff will happen, but may not happen this year. My wife speaks Polish, and has a working knowledge of Russian. Eastern Europe, and other parts of Europe, are on the long-term agenda.

Cookie Monster
01-21-2018, 10:36 PM
I plan to travel all across the West this summer working in fire suppression on big wildfires, hopefully after that I can plan other trips.

RevolverRob
01-21-2018, 10:47 PM
Has anybody been to Germany, specifically Bavaria, specifically Munich, lately?

My wife and I were kicking around the idea of picking up a new car there, then driving/touring the Alps for a couple weeks before dropping it off to ship back to the States. But we weren’t sure of how things were these days with regard to the, ah, recent changes in population demographic in Europe.

I was born in Germany (Dad was a teacher in DoDDS System in K Town, mom was a Nurse at Landstuhl Hospital.) my wife is similar, and oddly enough went to HS in Munich (Bad Tolz). I’ve also been to Hanover (Paderborn) as well as Ramstein AFB for work, so I’m good being in Germany; es ist mein Heimatt. :)

I spent a weekend in Munich ~4 years ago. It was a bad weekend, but not because of Munich...because of a deplorable set of circumstances that started with a fight on a train...

Over the past 4-years, I've spent, collectively, over 20 weeks in Germany, most of it in southern Germany (Stuttgart and Tubingen) and I wouldn't hesitate to go.

I'm not sure if you're referencing a Muslim or Turkish (or both) sect of migrants. But my experiences in Germany have shown me that it isn't the Turkish that are the real problem...it's some of the Germans (those of whom are obsessed with some quasi-defined idea of national identity). The Turkish immigrants I met in Germany were pretty much all exceedingly polite and hard working. I cannot say the same for the politeness of older Germans...

Matt O
01-21-2018, 10:50 PM
Probably not going anywhere but the beach for a long weekend this summer; got some upgrades to the house to invest in instead. Wife and I are hoping when we hit the 10 year anniversary in 2 years to leave the kids with the in-laws in Beijing and head down to Taiwan for a week or two.

We are thinking about China in the fall. The flights to Beijing are shockingly cheap, even from Boise. Someplace I have always wanted to check out, but figured it was out of reach. The wife said she never wanted to go to Asia(or leave the country for that matter), but after a few vacations abroad, her mind has opened up to interesting places.

If you decide to go and are interested, let me know and I'd be happy to offer some suggestions on places/restaurants to visit.

JAD
01-21-2018, 11:13 PM
Rich, Bayern is still cool. One of my favorites. Work has me more in north Germany these days but I probably will scoot by Frauenhofer on the sly.

For work, I’ll be in the pnw (just got back from YVR/Sea Friday, probably 2 more times), SoCal (3 times), Boston and Newport (3-4 times), DC/md/Philly (3-4 times), Savannah and NoFl, the Republic at least once, NoCal at least once, Pittsburgh, Toronto, PEI, Endicott, Huntsville, ABQ, Boulder, Crane, Carderock, Wright Pat. I will hit Norway three times before June I bet. Germany two or three times, NL, the UK maybe twice, Spain and maybe Portugal, maybe Paris. Maybe Korea but not for sure. I am trying really hard to never go to China again (100 times is enough).

For fun PHX 2-3 times, the State Fair of Texas, maaaybe a week in Maui but it doesn’t look good.

RoyGBiv
01-22-2018, 09:02 AM
We're OBX people, having moved from NC when they kids were wee. We get back there every other year or so. Missed out last year due to our usual place still recovering from hurricane flooding. Hopefully we'll be back this year. Kids want to go to Europe however... We'll see.

Took the family to Hawaii last summer. Won't be doing that again soon. We enjoy OBX (and the FL panhandle beaches) way more and for way less cost and travel time. Plus I don't have to disarm when I go to NC or FL and FL panhandle is drivable from here.

I travel a lot for work. Heading to China soon, again. Will probably be in Japan and Italy in late spring. Been a while since my last visits there.
Might get to a few new places this year. Anybody been to Mauritius?

Larry Sellers
01-22-2018, 09:23 AM
Does bomb school in New Mexico count?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JDD
01-22-2018, 02:43 PM
I am very optimistic that I will get to travel back to a place where most of the roads are paved this year.

For personal travel, I am hoping to hit Morocco, London, and perhaps the States by Christmas.

For work... It's gonna be a long year.

Seven_Sicks_Two
01-22-2018, 03:02 PM
There will be a trip or two to AK for work (I've never been, but I'm pretty pumped about it).

I'm getting married in the Fall, but the honeymoon will likely wait until her next vacation... she's a high school English teacher, so either winter break or summer vacation. Our destination will likely determine whether the trip is this winter or next summer. Thailand/Cambodia/somewhere else in SE Asia are in the running, as is Iceland.

TheNewbie
01-22-2018, 03:23 PM
There will be a trip or two to AK for work (I've never been, but I'm pretty pumped about it).

I'm getting married in the Fall, but the honeymoon will likely wait until her next vacation... she's a high school English teacher, so either winter break or summer vacation. Our destination will likely determine whether the trip is this winter or next summer. Thailand/Cambodia/somewhere else in SE Asia are in the running, as is Iceland.

Iceland is a Dream of mine. Want to hike there badly.

Today I'm on Isle de Mujeres and it's hot! Beats the 5 degree weather a couple of weeks ago.

Grey
01-22-2018, 03:46 PM

I've spent a LOT of time in SEA... let me know if you want any info.

EricP
01-22-2018, 04:53 PM
I'm hoping to turn a field service job to Oklahoma or Texas into a vacation of visiting friends in McKinney, TX, driving across Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and ultimately to Las Vegas. I have never been to the south west US. The only things that I know I want to do thus far are the Bradbury Museum in Las Alamos and the power plant tour at the Hoover Dam.

TGS
01-22-2018, 05:29 PM
Does bomb school in New Mexico count?

Yes, absolutely!

IRTB was an absolute blast. Are you going with dudes from work? It's a pretty awesome vacation with friends, if you have any going.

That burger joint I was writing about is only 15 minutes south of Socorro, btw.

BigT
01-22-2018, 05:35 PM
Currently sitting in Vegas which is a long way from home.

Plans are for Germany in March. Austria in June and then Russia again in August I think.

Larry Sellers
01-22-2018, 05:37 PM
Yes, absolutely!

IRTB was an absolute blast. Are you going with dudes from work? It's a pretty awesome vacation with friends, if you have any going.

That burger joint I was writing about is only 15 minutes south of Socorro, btw.Yea me and my LT are going. Definitely going to be looking for some places to eat even though I know there aren't that many options out there.

RoyGBiv
01-22-2018, 06:11 PM
the Bradbury Museum in Las Alamos
The museum is surprisingly awesome.... We went to entertain the kids for a while... My family had to drag me out.

TGS
01-22-2018, 06:31 PM
Yea me and my LT are going. Definitely going to be looking for some places to eat even though I know there aren't that many options out there.

Larry,

Buckhorn Tavern in San Antonio for their green chile burgers. If I remember correctly, they get their beef from their own cattle.

There's actually a bunch of places in Socorro that are decent....nothing crazy, but you should be okay for a week. I seem to remember places called Sofia's Kitchen, the Capitol Bar & Grill, and then a Lupe's Cantina(something?) that was in the NE part of town. There's also a local brewery that a lot of the EMRTC students hung out at. They were all decent.

In addition we took a trip out to the Very Large Array, and continued outwards even further to eat at a steakhouse out in Datil. We were just looking to explore at that point.

I'm jealous.

Larry Sellers
01-22-2018, 06:33 PM
Larry,

Buckhorn Tavern in San Antonio for their green chile burgers. If I remember correctly, they get their beef from their own cattle.

There's actually a bunch of places in Socorro that are decent....nothing crazy, but you should be okay for a week. I seem to remember places called Sofia's Kitchen, the Capitol Bar & Grill, and then a Lupe's Cantina(something?) that was in the NE part of town. There's also a local brewery that a lot of the EMRTC students hung out at. They were all decent.

In addition we took a trip out to the Very Large Array, and continued outwards even further to eat at a steakhouse out in Datil. We were just looking to explore at that point.

I'm jealous.We're looking forward to it. Our city doesn't pay for any training so being able to go out there should be fun.

Thanks again!

JodyH
01-22-2018, 06:36 PM
Yes, absolutely!

That burger joint I was writing about is only 15 minutes south of Socorro, btw.

Owl Bar

TGS
01-22-2018, 06:41 PM
Owl Bar

Mmm. You like that one better than Buckhorn?

I went to Buckhorn both times I've been (2013 and 2016). Purposely lengthened my route by an hour+ coming back from Artesia just so I could hit it.....well, that and I had never driven through Cloudcroft, out of those mountains overlooking White Sands. What a beautiful ride.

JodyH
01-22-2018, 06:43 PM
I'm spending a week in Costa Rica over spring break and probably headed to the Czech Republic this year for 2 weeks at Christmas for the markets.
Christmas in Prague is like a postcard or living inside a awesome snow globe, the eastern Europeans know how to do Christmas right.
And the Czechs know how to convince the Jihadis to go elsewhere.
The Czechs and Poles are just great people who are very welcoming to Americans.

JodyH
01-22-2018, 06:50 PM
Mmm. You like that one better than Buckhorn?

I went to Buckhorn both times I've been (2013 and 2016). Purposely lengthened my route by an hour+ coming back from Artesia just so I could hit it.....well, that and I had never driven through Cloudcroft, out of those mountains overlooking White Sands. What a beautiful ride.
They're about the same, Owl Bar has better ambiance and colder beer.
The hole in the wall Mexican food places in Socorro are great, really cannot go wrong if none of the cooks habla English.
Los Arcos Steak & Lobster in TorC (an hour or so south of Socorro) is an awesome steak house, plus Elephant Butte is known for it's sexual deviant serial killers.

I used to spend my summers in Cloudcroft and Alamogordo as a kid.

Larry Sellers
01-22-2018, 06:57 PM
They're about the same, Owl Bar has better ambiance and colder beer.
The hole in the wall Mexican food places in Socorro are great, really cannot go wrong if none of the cooks habla English.
Los Arcos Steak & Lobster in TorC (an hour or so south of Socorro) is an awesome steak house, plus Elephant Butte is known for it's sexual deviant serial killers.

I used to spend my summers in Cloudcroft and Alamogordo as a kid.51$ and change reimbursement per day for food seems like a good way to try all these places.

TheNewbie
01-22-2018, 10:11 PM
I'm spending a week in Costa Rica over spring break and probably headed to the Czech Republic this year for 2 weeks at Christmas for the markets.
Christmas in Prague is like a postcard or living inside a awesome snow globe, the eastern Europeans know how to do Christmas right.
And the Czechs know how to convince the Jihadis to go elsewhere.
The Czechs and Poles are just great people who are very welcoming to Americans.

Have you been to Costa Rica before ? I want to travel there and to Panama.

Of course Eastern Europe would be amazing.

Tomorrow will be a 2 hour drive to Holbox. Should be interesting driving through the Mexican country side.

JodyH
01-22-2018, 10:51 PM
Have you been to Costa Rica before ? I want to travel there and to Panama.
Pacific coast of Guanacaste Costa Rica, Thanksgiving 2016.
:cool:

David S.
01-22-2018, 11:01 PM
India and London trip coming up

Surf
01-23-2018, 02:57 AM
Work and fun. WA-DC, Cali, Utah, Texas, Nevada, Guam, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, China, Indonesia, Philippines, maybe a few other places depending on how things work out. Scouting out San Antonio might be on the list this year as it is hard to beat the manner in which Texas treats businesses.

Anyone with contacts in Shanghai? Driver/interpreter?

We are thinking about China in the fall. The flights to Beijing are shockingly cheap, even from Boise. Someplace I have always wanted to check out, but figured it was out of reach. The wife said she never wanted to go to Asia(or leave the country for that matter), but after a few vacations abroad, her mind has opened up to interesting places.I might suggest accompanying a China/Beijing trip with another stop in the region as you can do a 144 hour Visa-less stop over in Beijing. It must be a stop-over with connecting destinations, but it is a good way to hit another country. Airline fares are more than reasonable. I do this and this year will be a 4 day stopover in Shanghai on the way back home. No Travel VISA needed for a tourist visit in certain cities. Beijing participates in this.

RJ
01-23-2018, 12:11 PM
On topic, and while not quite the Traveller’s you guys are, we’re headed out of Florida in April for about 5 months to tour the Western USA in our Airstream Travel Trailer. This will be our fourth summer doing this. We’ve seen quite a bit, but there are some places we’d like to visit still.

We live in such a beautiful country. Both my wife and I are naturalized citizens, born overseas, and we treasure the ability to travel.

This was Granite Pass, East of Cody Wyoming in the Bighorn Mountains:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180123/eadb2283b5b0388b1a4ac01bc9660a8b.jpg

Drang
01-26-2018, 05:50 AM
Hell.
In a handbasket.

Seriously, and realistically, I don't think we can afford to do any heavy travelling. Which sucks, because I've got about 200 hours of leave to burn.

TheNewbie
01-26-2018, 06:17 AM
On topic, and while not quite the Traveller’s you guys are, we’re headed out of Florida in April for about 5 months to tour the Western USA in our Airstream Travel Trailer. This will be our fourth summer doing this. We’ve seen quite a bit, but there are some places we’d like to visit still.

We live in such a beautiful country. Both my wife and I are naturalized citizens, born overseas, and we treasure the ability to travel.

This was Granite Pass, East of Cody Wyoming in the Bighorn Mountains:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180123/eadb2283b5b0388b1a4ac01bc9660a8b.jpg

Where are you and your wife originally from?

Driving the back roads and highways all over Quitana Roo has been exciting. Though watching people pass into on comming traffic at full speed is a little anxiety inducing at times.

Right now I'm in Playa Del Carmen. It's ok but I really like the small towns better.

RJ
01-26-2018, 07:21 AM
Where are you and your wife originally from?

Mrs. is from Canada and I’m an Army brat born in Germany.

Yeah, traffic overseas. We were screaming down a Turkish mountainside in a 13 passenger van, taking up what comprised most of the available roadway. Somehow I remember asking the driver, wouldn’t he expect to meet someone coming up? “Inshallah” and a shrug was all I got in return.

RoyGBiv
01-27-2018, 06:30 PM
Yeah, traffic overseas. We were screaming down a Turkish mountainside in a 13 passenger van, taking up what comprised most of the available roadway. Somehow I remember asking the driver, wouldn’t he expect to meet someone coming up? “Inshallah” and a shrug was all I got in return.
Many bad memories of passing across a double yellow on the outside of curves in Canton province...

On my first visit there I took the ferry from HK. We landed in Zhuhai and got picked up by the folks from our factory. Driving out of the port area theres a big traffic jam on the other side of the road and a pile of banana leaves in the road.

Me: "What's that?"
Factory Guy: "A guy was hit by car and dead... waiting for family to come get him. Covered him with the leaves."

I prefer driving in Germany.

David S.
04-21-2018, 09:53 AM
Spent 3 weeks in northern India during Feb.

Family at the Taj Mahal. It's an impressive place.

At the Golden Temple in Amritsar. This is the Vatican of Sikhism.

At a castle or fort in Rajastan.

SeriousStudent
04-21-2018, 11:15 AM
You will have to go back when the kids are older. I am sure they will love riding an elephant!

David S.
04-21-2018, 11:34 AM
You will have to go back when the kids are older. I am sure they will love riding an elephant!

Wife’s fam is from India. We’ll be going back every few years for sure. Fascinating place.

TheNewbie
05-19-2018, 08:43 PM
I fly out in the morning for Mexico City. Then I will take a bus up to San Miguel Allende.

How is traveling going for everyone?

RevolverRob
05-19-2018, 08:56 PM
I fly out in the morning for Mexico City. Then I will take a bus up to San Miguel Allende.

So-so for me.

Ended up doing a vacay to the Dominican Republic which was great. But my France trip got cancelled, so did two of my ABQ visits (still going in October, though). In their stead I've been to a memorial service in Austin for an old boss, a funeral in East Tennessee, and maybe another funeral in NC next week. :mad:

I don't mind losing the trip to France to focus on work, but going to funerals instead sucks. Especially, because each of them is/was for the mother of one of my best friends. In the scheme of things they are a lot of other things I'd rather fucking do. Like fly to just visit my friends...

TheNewbie
05-19-2018, 09:53 PM
So-so for me.

Ended up doing a vacay to the Dominican Republic which was great. But my France trip got cancelled, so did two of my ABQ visits (still going in October, though). In their stead I've been to a memorial service in Austin for an old boss, a funeral in East Tennessee, and maybe another funeral in NC next week. :mad:

I don't mind losing the trip to France to focus on work, but going to funerals instead sucks. Especially, because each of them is/was for the mother of one of my best friends. In the scheme of things they are a lot of other things I'd rather fucking do. Like fly to just visit my friends...

That's terrible man. Sorry for your loss.

On a more happy note, how did you like the DR?

Larry Sellers
05-20-2018, 06:40 AM
Bermuda on a short cruise.....

October we're headed to Kentucky to do an ad hoc bourbon trail trip.

mtnbkr
05-20-2018, 06:58 AM
Per my earlier post in this thread, we're still planning on a big Disney trip next year, but want to do a small "long weekend" kind of getaway this Summer. Right now, the plan is Assateague, which is only a 3-3.5hr drive away. The kids can see the ponies, we can play on the beach, etc. We'll probably do a 3-4 day weekend trip.

Chris

luckyman
05-20-2018, 09:54 AM
Currently reading this from a hotel in Lima Peru after exploring Machu Picchu and other tourist stuff. Pretty F’ing awesome.
Random comments:
-16,000 ft altitude is no joke
-they don’t let you put toilet paper in the toilet in Peru. That was just about a deal-breaker for my wife.
-Peruvian lady traffic cops are incredibly hot with their assertive ways and skintight uniform pants

TheNewbie
05-20-2018, 10:10 AM
Currently reading this from a hotel in Lima Peru after exploring Machu Picchu and other tourist stuff. Pretty F’ing awesome.
Random comments:
-16,000 ft altitude is no joke
-they don’t let you put toilet paper in the toilet in Peru. That was just about a deal-breaker for my wife.
-Peruvian lady traffic cops are incredibly hot with their assertive ways and skintight uniform pants

Man I want to go to Peru. My flight to Mexico City out of DFW has been delayed.

What's the traffic like in Lima?

luckyman
05-20-2018, 10:16 AM
Man I want to go to Peru. My flight to Mexico City out of DFW has been delayed.

What's the traffic like in Lima?

Traffic is pretty awful in places. I tend to drive everywhere (or take trains sometimes ) anywhere in Europe or in Australia and New Zealand. But I don’t drive in Asia and am not driving on this trip. We are traveling with a group of friends that includes a travel agent from Toronto and she arranged transportation to everywhere.

TheNewbie
05-20-2018, 10:18 AM
Traffic is pretty awful in places. I tend to drive everywhere (or take trains sometimes ) anywhere in Europe or in Australia and New Zealand. But I don’t drive in Asia and am not driving on this trip. We are traveling with a group of friends that includes a travel agent from Toronto and she arranged transportation to everywhere.

Yea my GF is from Mexico City. I let her do the driving, because no way I would come out of driving there sane.

What's the worst place you've seen for traffic ?

luckyman
05-20-2018, 10:34 AM
Yea my GF is from Mexico City. I let her do the driving, because no way I would come out of driving there sane.

I’ve been lots of places with bad traffic. Mumbai, Delhi, Metro Manila, and Beijing were all bad. Beijing air pollution and lack of many signs I could read any letters on -> feeling a total lack of control probably made it the worst overall experience.

PS never been to Mexico City; would like to do that sometime. I live right off of 405 in the Los Angeles area for the next couple of years, so my daily traffic ain’t no picnic as far as that goes.

RJ
05-20-2018, 01:43 PM

Boston.

Close second is Athens.

Wondering Beard
05-20-2018, 04:35 PM

All it takes is to put yourself in surrealist frame of mind and you'll do fine.

Rome and Paris have their masochisitic charm.

luckyman
05-20-2018, 05:16 PM
All it takes is to put yourself in surrealist frame of mind and you'll do fine.

Rome and Paris have their masochisitic charm.

I kinda like driving in Italy and especially Spain. It’s crazy but a crazy you can understand. My wife and I make a game out of the traffic circles. We often have to go around 3 times: the first time to translate the signs; the second “oops that was it” time; then success on the third time [emoji3]
Although the last trip we had a gps which is totally cheating.

YVK
05-20-2018, 08:12 PM

TheNewbie
05-20-2018, 10:33 PM

Wow! Where exactly is that ?

YVK
05-21-2018, 01:01 AM
A small town called Ronda, about 60 miles west of Malaga. Really nice old town, great food, lots of people but not in a bad way. Easy reach from here to Gibraltar, or Sevilla, or many whitewashed towns of the Spanish south.

SteveB
05-21-2018, 07:11 AM
Paris end of May. Later in the summer, taking the train from Vancouver, BC through the Canadian Rockies to Calgary, a trip I’ve always wanted to do.

TheNewbie
05-21-2018, 08:32 AM
Paris end of May. Later in the summer, taking the train from Vancouver, BC through the Canadian Rockies to Calgary, a trip I’ve always wanted to do.

The train trip sounds nice. How many days is it?

pangloss
05-21-2018, 08:34 AM
We're going to France and the Channel Islands in this summer. On the way back from the islands we will rent a car and drive along the coast of Normandy. The finale will be taking my 6-year-old daughter to the Eiffel Tower. This is also a birthday trip for my wife and the first big trip we've taken in seven years.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

BehindBlueI's
05-21-2018, 09:00 AM
Paris was a lot of fun. If anyone needs a recommendation for an apartment PM me. We got a nice one on AirBNB that was within walking distance of Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, and just a few blocks from where most of the river tours take off from.

SteveB
05-21-2018, 03:50 PM
The train trip sounds nice. How many days is it?

About a week, but only 3 or so train days.

ranger
05-21-2018, 05:59 PM
Italy for 10 days in August with wife and friend from work and his wife. Fly into Rome then hit several sites including Venice. I travel extensively for work - just got home from a week in Sweden and Norway. Work travel sounds cool but it ends up as "planes, trains, and automobiles" trying to visit multiple sites as efficiently (fast) as possible.

Joe in PNG
05-21-2018, 08:45 PM
Back to the USA next week, with a few days in Brisbane.

Guerrero
05-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Family vacation to the Kittyhawk, NC area for a week during the summer. Hitting D.C. for a couple days on the way home. Any suggestions?

mtnbkr
05-22-2018, 10:15 AM
Family vacation to the Kittyhawk, NC area for a week during the summer. Hitting D.C. for a couple days on the way home. Any suggestions?

For Kitty Hawk or DC or both?

Kitty Hawk: Wright Bros Memorial, Hatteras Lighthouse, road trip to Ocracoke, NC Aquarium, and fishing (the piers can be productive at times).
DC: Smithsonian museums on the Mall, Udvar Hazy Air+Space museum at Dulles, NRA Museum.

ETA: At OBX, check out The Elizabethan Gardens on Manteo as well as the Lost Colony play. At the place where they show the Lost Colony, they have kid-oriented live shows during the day that are more entertaining than you'd expect.

Chris

RoyGBiv
05-22-2018, 10:18 AM

http://www.sooeysbbq.com/sooeys-famous-bbq-in-nags-head/

Just north of Kitty Hawy Kites.... Be sure to get the pulled pork and the cornbread. And the cornbread. ;)

Across the street is the Wright Brothers memorial. Worth an hour or so.

Drive south an hour (probably more like 90 minutes) and climb the lighthouse. Hatteras is the best of them, IMO. Make a day of it. Drive down, take the ferry to Ocracoke, visit and have lunch, hit the lighthouse tour on the way back north.
https://www.outerbanks.org/listing/cape-hatteras-lighthouse/248/

Several good marinas nearby... Deep sea fishing is great from there... Worst case, grab a spot on a party boat and do a half day near-in. Lots of good eating fish to be caught not far off shore.

Hoping to get to OBX later this summer myself..

If you are doing a traditional rental, you should, if possible, do your grocery shopping nearby whatever airport you're flying into and haul at least a few days of groceries with you to check in. Grocery stores are MADNESS on OBX Saturday and Sunday during the season. Prices are higher as well, although not usury. There's a wal-mart a few miles north on 12 as well, for all the tings you forgot to bring or find yourself needing.

Surf
05-22-2018, 07:01 PM
Just returned from DC and NoCal. DC, land of suits, ties, large black SUV's and panhandlers. So in DC inputting Northrup Grumman into Google maps for directions. Silly me, about 20 buildings come up, so I put in the exact address. Good grief. Back on a plane Friday. Time for a bit of vacation mixed with work.

TheNewbie
05-22-2018, 07:08 PM
Just returned from DC and NoCal. DC, land of suits, ties, large black SUV's and panhandlers. So in DC inputting Northrup Grumman into Google maps for directions. Silly me, about 20 buildings come up, so I put in the exact address. Good grief. Back on a plane Friday. Time for a bit of vacation mixed with work.

I have never been to DC. Is it worth seeing once?

I'm not really a big city guy but part of me feels obligated to go as an American.

RoyGBiv
05-22-2018, 07:37 PM

I'm not really a big city guy but part of me feels obligated to go as an American.

Absolutely yes.

shootist26
05-22-2018, 07:51 PM
Going to Japan in a month with some friends from college. Vegas later this year for a bachelor party.

Belgium and Netherlands next year for a ww1/ww2 specific trip. Already did ww1/ww2 sites in France in 2016

Darth_Uno
05-22-2018, 08:12 PM
I feel like a poor POS. Never been outside CONUS, never really thought about it. We drive to Nashville a couple times a year, got family and friends all over TX, and get to Florida 2-3 times a year. Imagine a triangle from St Louis to San Antonio to Miami. That's pretty much my area.

mtnbkr
05-22-2018, 08:58 PM
I feel like a poor POS. Never been outside CONUS, never really thought about it. We drive to Nashville a couple times a year, got family and friends all over TX, and get to Florida 2-3 times a year. Imagine a triangle from St Louis to San Antonio to Miami. That's pretty much my area.

Except for my honeymoon, all of my travel outside of CONUS has been for work. Canada and UK only so far for work. Honeymoon was Mexico (just before 9/11, before it really went to shit).

Chris

Surf
05-22-2018, 10:19 PM

I'm not really a big city guy but part of me feels obligated to go as an American.Absolutely worth it. I am a country boy at heart but have been in Big Cities most of my adult life. Unfortunately, I spent the majority of my trip in buildings, with one day at a gathering in the Maryland countryside, so that was a nice thing to get outside of offices and the city. While I find the need to travel to DC for business increasing, I definitely plan on taking my family so they can see the history first hand. If you are remotely moved by American history it is an absolute must see.

Stephanie B
05-22-2018, 10:38 PM
Boston.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JMqVLVi1Zpk

Driving defensively in Boston is like driving aggressively almost anywhere else. I had a manual transmission; driving the Central Artery was like rowing. I moved away about when the Big Dig got going.

JAD
05-22-2018, 11:03 PM
Oahu next week for a few days with the family. The rest of this year is typical business — DC and SoCal, Denver and Dallas, a few hither and yons in Europe and up and down the frigging west coast of Norway like four more times.

Coyotesfan97
05-23-2018, 12:24 AM
I’ll be going to DC in August for a K9 seminar.

Joe in PNG
05-23-2018, 12:52 AM
And it looks like I may have a motorcycle trip up one of my favorite roads sometime in August- following the Big Bend of the Florida Panhandle to Pensacola and back.

Matt Helm
05-23-2018, 05:52 AM
After a trip out West (Raton N.M.). Whittington Center , we'll try to get to Telluride Colorado.
Daughter wants us to visit her in Cologne, Germany... This fall , for Octoberfest. (We'll see about that)

RJ
05-23-2018, 06:12 AM
Absolutely worth it. I am a country boy at heart but have been in Big Cities most of my adult life. Unfortunately, I spent the majority of my trip in buildings, with one day at a gathering in the Maryland countryside, so that was a nice thing to get outside of offices and the city. While I find the need to travel to DC for business increasing, I definitely plan on taking my family so they can see the history first hand. If you are remotely moved by American history it is an absolute must see.

Our trip through DC last time was absolutely wonderful.

We are both Naturalized citizens my wife and I. We thoroughly enjoyed the National Archives and monuments. Arlington National Cemetery and the changing of the guard was extremely moving. I could get lost for days in the Smithsonian. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing was a hoot. The National Holocaust Museum is somber obviously, but tells the story in a way I've never seen. There is just so much in DC to see.

MGW
05-23-2018, 06:16 AM
Making a quick trip back to Colorado with the wife and kids the end of this summer. Have a cabin rented that sits at 9,500 feet near Como. Possible new job in the mix. Hopefully that doesn’t screw up our plans. Finalist interviews Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LSP552
05-23-2018, 07:50 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JMqVLVi1Zpk

Driving defensively in Boston is like driving aggressively almost anywhere else. I had a manual transmission; driving the Central Artery was like rowing. I moved away about when the Big Dig got going.

I thought driving in Houston was bad until the first trip to Boston.....

csheehy
05-23-2018, 07:55 PM
Just back from 5 days/4 nights in Finger lakes region of NY (Seneca lake & Watkins Glen area mainly). Beautiful country, great wine/cider and some exceptional meals.

TheNewbie
05-24-2018, 12:59 PM
Oahu next week for a few days with the family. The rest of this year is typical business — DC and SoCal, Denver and Dallas, a few hither and yons in Europe and up and down the frigging west coast of Norway like four more times.

How pricey is Norway?

JAD
05-24-2018, 01:27 PM
How pricey is Norway?

It depends; hotels are a little expensive, rental cars are quite expensive, and everyday items (a burger, a ferry ride) are ridiculous. If you are tight you will not enjoy it. It's beautiful, though, and it's interesting to see how a country with huge resources and a tiny homogeneous population manages their affairs. It's quite nice, as you'd expect.

shootist26
05-30-2018, 02:05 PM
I feel like a poor POS. Never been outside CONUS, never really thought about it. We drive to Nashville a couple times a year, got family and friends all over TX, and get to Florida 2-3 times a year. Imagine a triangle from St Louis to San Antonio to Miami. That's pretty much my area.Generally speaking, are you interested in traveling outside of conus?

If cost is truly the barrier, there are many ways of traveling on a budget that inexperienced travelers may not know about

BehindBlueI's
05-30-2018, 02:27 PM
Generally speaking, are you interested in traveling outside of conus?

If cost is truly the barrier, there are many ways of traveling on a budget that inexperienced travelers may not know about

This. My week in Paris for 3 costs me under $1300 for airfare from Atlanta (flew Wednesday to Wednesday) and $700 for an apartment via AirBnB. I spent about $150 a day on food, attractions, various purchases, etc. but it could have been done much cheaper (or much more expensively) depending up on your tastes.

Airbnb and sites like hipmunk.com and expedia.com that let you compare prices and flexible dates have made travel a lot more accessible for smaller budgets.

Kyle Reese
05-30-2018, 06:49 PM
I'm taking an annual vacation during the last week of July and will be hitting up some orchards in West Virginia, as well as Luray Caverns with my daughter.

SeriousStudent
05-30-2018, 08:14 PM

We are both Naturalized citizens my wife and I. .....

Visit Texas. We can make you a naturalized citizen here as well.

"I, say your name, forswear all other brisket....."

So help me George Strait.

RJ
05-30-2018, 09:09 PM
Visit Texas. We can make you a naturalized citizen here as well.

"I, say your name, forswear all other brisket....."

So help me George Strait.

Quite possible we will be in the Lonestar State soon.

We need to close out a storage unit in Houston (Katy), since we sold the Airstream and no longer need the OEM couch unit we set aside there after we put in the recliners...

BigT
05-31-2018, 03:32 AM
Leaving for Vienna on Sunday, which may be my favorite city in the world.

A week in a little town called Deutsch-Wagram

shootist26
06-27-2018, 09:39 AM
Just got back from tokyo and kyoto. It was fun.

ACP230
06-27-2018, 11:32 AM
I wasn't planning to go anywhere to speak of.
So, just back from a trip to Florida and the Carolinas.
Family decided to gather in FL and talked me into showing up.
Good trip overall but hot and with bad traffic on the way back
home.

Coal Train
06-27-2018, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately the vast majority of my travel is work related. I just returned from Beijing. This was on the sign of things that are prohibited in the subway. I guess they really don't want you to have a Glock 17 with a Beretta 92 magazine.

TheNewbie
06-27-2018, 06:25 PM
Just got back from tokyo and kyoto. It was fun.

What was it like there?

shootist26
06-29-2018, 12:58 PM
What was it like there?

I went with my college buddies.
Hot and very humid. I would not recommend going to Japan in the summer at all. I'd much prefer to go in the fall or winter. But that's me speaking as a northerner. My texas friends thought it was only slightly uncomfortable.

I think a lot of Americans have a preconceived notion that Japan (and Tokyo especially) is a super high tech place where advanced technology permeates all aspects of your life. The reality is some sort of bizarre in between. First off, it is mostly a cash based society. Many restaurants and stores do not accept plastic. I used my credit card all of three times in the two weeks we were there. Everything was done withdrawing cash from an ATM at 7-eleven. Speaking of 7-eleven, there is a huge convenience store culture in TOkyo. As in there is one every couple blocks. Unlike American convenience stores, Japanese convenience stores carry all sorts of high quality pre-made meals and bakery items, in addition to your regular convenience store items. A lot of people seem to rely on them for breakfast and lunch items. On a related note, there are drink vending machines every couple of blocks too. This I found bizarre. They contain all sorts of items, such as regular water, hot coffee, tea, energy drinks, soda, etc. You pay with cash or your subway card (tap it against the RF reader), but can't pay with credit.

The Tokyo subway/rail system is truly unbelievable. It is spotless and everybody is so well behaved. Train cars are dead quiet usually. Typically you will only hear light conversation, even late at night. There is literally zero riff-raff that we see on American public transit systems. Despite it's complexity, it is very well marked out and I found it easy to navigate (though I live in the city so I am used to public transit). Fares can be paid using an RF card that you just scan on the entry and exit gates. The confusing thing is that there are multiple entities (some government, some private companies) that operate subway and above ground rail lines in the Tokyo. So while planning can be hard, but it is actually fairly straightfoward to use. See the link to get an idea of how extensive is:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MapPorn/comments/53yuxd/heres_a_full_railway_map_of_tokyo_and_suburbs/ (this is both Tokyo and the surrounding suburbs)

I like the restaurant culture in Japan. A lot of restaurants specialize in one thing only (e.g. a ramen place that only serves ramen, a yakitori place that only sells yakitori, etc). I think a lot of people in AMerica have realized that restaurants with bloated menus like Cheesecake Factory and APplebee's really suck at all of the items. The quality of product and attention to detail in all the restaurants we ate at in Japan was noticeable. Many restaurants actually have a ticket machine located near the entrance with individual buttons for each menu item. You put in your cash (none of the machines accepted plastic) and hit whatever buttons you want, then it spits out an order ticket that you give to your waiter. You get the food, eat, and since you've already paid, you leave whenever you feel like it. Very efficient. Definitely would not work in America as people here are picky and always want to customize their orders and whatnot.

Toilets were cool, as was expected. Even public toilets had a control panel for the bidet, and most had heated seats.

These were just some of the immediate things that jumped out at me during the trip. Tokyo is a bustling modern metropolis, so if you hate that kind of stuff, definitely go to Kyoto and further out into the countryside. Kyoto was very cool and most of the traditional temples and shrines were spared from destruction during WW2.

RJ
06-29-2018, 02:12 PM
I went with my college buddies.
Hot and very humid. I would not recommend going to Japan in the summer at all. I'd much prefer to go in the fall or winter. But that's me speaking as a northerner. My texas friends thought it was only slightly uncomfortable.

I think a lot of Americans have a preconceived notion that Japan (and Tokyo especially) is a super high tech place where advanced technology permeates all aspects of your life. The reality is some sort of bizarre in between. First off, it is mostly a cash based society. Many restaurants and stores do not accept plastic. I used my credit card all of three times in the two weeks we were there. Everything was done withdrawing cash from an ATM at 7-eleven. Speaking of 7-eleven, there is a huge convenience store culture in TOkyo. As in there is one every couple blocks. Unlike American convenience stores, Japanese convenience stores carry all sorts of high quality pre-made meals and bakery items, in addition to your regular convenience store items. A lot of people seem to rely on them for breakfast and lunch items. On a related note, there are drink vending machines every couple of blocks too. This I found bizarre. They contain all sorts of items, such as regular water, hot coffee, tea, energy drinks, soda, etc. You pay with cash or your subway card (tap it against the RF reader), but can't pay with credit.

The Tokyo subway/rail system is truly unbelievable. It is spotless and everybody is so well behaved. Train cars are dead quiet usually. Typically you will only hear light conversation, even late at night. There is literally zero riff-raff that we see on American public transit systems. Despite it's complexity, it is very well marked out and I found it easy to navigate (though I live in the city so I am used to public transit). Fares can be paid using an RF card that you just scan on the entry and exit gates. The confusing thing is that there are multiple entities (some government, some private companies) that operate subway and above ground rail lines in the Tokyo. So while planning can be hard, but it is actually fairly straightfoward to use. See the link to get an idea of how extensive is:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MapPorn/comments/53yuxd/heres_a_full_railway_map_of_tokyo_and_suburbs/ (this is both Tokyo and the surrounding suburbs)

I like the restaurant culture in Japan. A lot of restaurants specialize in one thing only (e.g. a ramen place that only serves ramen, a yakitori place that only sells yakitori, etc). I think a lot of people in AMerica have realized that restaurants with bloated menus like Cheesecake Factory and APplebee's really suck at all of the items. The quality of product and attention to detail in all the restaurants we ate at in Japan was noticeable. Many restaurants actually have a ticket machine located near the entrance with individual buttons for each menu item. You put in your cash (none of the machines accepted plastic) and hit whatever buttons you want, then it spits out an order ticket that you give to your waiter. You get the food, eat, and since you've already paid, you leave whenever you feel like it. Very efficient. Definitely would not work in America as people here are picky and always want to customize their orders and whatnot.

Toilets were cool, as was expected. Even public toilets had a control panel for the bidet, and most had heated seats.

These were just some of the immediate things that jumped out at me during the trip. Tokyo is a bustling modern metropolis, so if you hate that kind of stuff, definitely go to Kyoto and further out into the countryside. Kyoto was very cool and most of the traditional temples and shrines were spared from destruction during WW2.

Thanks very much.

I have some work-related travel forecast to Japan and Okinawa starting next year, and this is very interesting to me.

How did yo get past the language barrier?

shootist26
06-29-2018, 02:28 PM
Thanks very much.

I have some work-related travel forecast to Japan and Okinawa starting next year, and this is very interesting to me.

How did yo get past the language barrier?

I have no idea how it is in smaller towns, but in Tokyo and Kyoto, there was zero issue with the language barrier. The vast majority of restaurants have a picture menu and you just point. Many restaurants also have highly detailed plastic models of each dish displayed out front, and you can just take a picture of what looks good and show it to the waiter (I found this very amusing). Other restaurants have ticket machines so its pretty straightforward ordering. They have really mastered the art of not having to interact with anybody while at a restaurant.

As far as navigating the rail system, google maps has a transit feature. There are also a bunch of other apps that can help you navigate or find the correct stations.

Most people have taken english in school but overall they definitely suck at it more than most Europeans. People employed in the hospitality industry generally have good enough english to get by. However, I found that I got by fine with pointing and some very basic words. In general, everybody was very polite and helpful.

Rex G
06-29-2018, 05:53 PM
In spite of being retired, effective January 2018, we are off to a slow start; several long day trips per month, but nothing overnight or longer, until a probable overnighter or two-night stay at B-I-L’s home in San Antonio, Texas, in early July.

Annoying, a significant distribution from a post-retirement account fund was not direct-deposited today, but is apparently being sent by SNAIL MAIL. After that check arrives, and clears, we may do one or more road trips to look at RVs and boats.

RJ
06-29-2018, 06:52 PM
After that check arrives, and clears, we may do one or more road trips to look at RVs and boats.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180629/51d020dc02c93ddc545c7e9ada2e8068.jpg

RJ
06-30-2018, 06:41 AM
I have no idea how it is in smaller towns, but in Tokyo and Kyoto, there was zero issue with the language barrier. The vast majority of restaurants have a picture menu and you just point. Many restaurants also have highly detailed plastic models of each dish displayed out front, and you can just take a picture of what looks good and show it to the waiter (I found this very amusing). Other restaurants have ticket machines so its pretty straightforward ordering. They have really mastered the art of not having to interact with anybody while at a restaurant.

As far as navigating the rail system, google maps has a transit feature. There are also a bunch of other apps that can help you navigate or find the correct stations.

Most people have taken english in school but overall they definitely suck at it more than most Europeans. People employed in the hospitality industry generally have good enough english to get by. However, I found that I got by fine with pointing and some very basic words. In general, everybody was very polite and helpful.

Thank you that’s very helpful.

I have always wanted to see Japan, but am worried about the language.

I traveled extensively around Normandy France while working in the UK. I learned a bit of French and attempted to speak it, albeit poorly. Most people I ran into winced then switched to English lol. I had a great time.

luckyman
08-07-2018, 04:53 PM

Hey Newb (and anyone else for that matter)...

I *might* get a chance to go to Mexico City in December. Any tips for me?

RoyGBiv
08-07-2018, 05:28 PM
I have always wanted to see Japan, but am worried about the language.

As with every foreign country, learn some basic phrases before you go. Making an effort, even a terribly executed effort, gets you lots of points with the locals.

Hello, Thank you, please, excuse me/pardon me, where is the toilet?, good morning/afternoon/evening. If you can count to ten, that's helpful too. Download Google Translate to your smartphone. It works. Uber is in Tokyo, not sure about Okinawa. Definitely download the app and set up an account.

It's rare that any major business destination doesn't have signage in English these days. I've never been to Okinawa, but would bet it's the same.

I've only been to Japan a handful of times, but never had any real problems. First time was actually my first trip outside North America. Arrived at Shinjuku rail station at rush hour after my overseas flight and a long bus ride from Narita (never take the bus!). I had instructions to take the "orange line" from Shinjuku and of course that was the only line that didn't have English signage. I'm standing there in a sea of people and I realize for the first time in my life that I'm taller than pretty much everybody! I put my bags down and enjoyed the feeling for a few minutes, until I flagged down a guy dressed like a pharmacist. Turns out he was a grocery worker, but he was able to help me with directions.

A few nights later I was with 2 colleagues on a train platform, late at night, trying to figure out which direction would take us back to our hotel. A cute little girl walks up and in excellent English asks us if we needed help with directions. She couldn't have been 10. At midnight, on the metro. Mom and dad were there, but, still. She walked back to her parents, translated our question and told us which way to go. There were lots of drunk businessmen on our train, several of them wearing plastic garbage bags around their necks, in case they tossed their dinners. Even drunk Japanese are polite that way.

If you've never watched the movie Lost in Translation, you should. And... never say no to Karaoke! :cool: Even if you suck at it.

TheNewbie
08-07-2018, 05:42 PM
Hey Newb (and anyone else for that matter)...

I *might* get a chance to go to Mexico City in December. Any tips for me?

Awesome! If I may ask, why are you going? Who are you going with?

How long will you be there?

If you don't know Spanish , learn some basic phrases. It's best if you can be with someone from there.

The traffic is insane. Watch what the locals do, they know how to survive as pedestrians in that madness.

I do not recommend driving. Unless you are experienced in driving in other countries. My girlfriend and I use uber, or she drives because she's from there.

Don't go to Iztapalapa or the black market. Iztapalapa is the most dangerous neighborhood in Mexico City. I went but I do not recommend it to the majority of people.

Mexico City is an amazing place . Lots of friendly people and even better food.

When I have access to a PC, I will respond with places you should go.

luckyman
08-07-2018, 06:26 PM
Awesome! If I may ask, why are you going? Who are you going with?

How long will you be there?

It's for pleasure. A surprise birthday treat for my wife's best friend; will be 2 couples, for 5 days plus travel time.

rayrevolver
08-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Annoying, a significant distribution from a post-retirement account fund was not direct-deposited today, but is apparently being sent by SNAIL MAIL. After that check arrives, and clears, we may do one or more road trips to look at RVs and boats.

I bought a travel trailer in April and it has been great! Next trip is the Apple Harvest Festival in Gettysburg, PA sometime in October.

Regarding Tokyo, I love that city. In the summer walking out of Narita is like a blast furnace. But yeah, say SU MI MA SEN (excuse me) and most folks will help you out. Don't forget the beer, iced coffee, or underwear in the vending machines! What a country! :)

TheNewbie
08-07-2018, 09:59 PM
It's for pleasure. A surprise birthday treat for my wife's best friend; will be 2 couples, for 5 days plus travel time.

Do any of you speak Spanish ? Know anyone in Mexico City? (aka D.F. and CDMX)

Any idea what kind of transportation you will use?

The pyramids in Estado de Mexico are mind blowing. They were built over 1000 years before the Aztecs found them. It's mysterious and creepy at the same time.

The old Aztec canals on Xochimilco are fun. Safe? It's Mexico , but it's fun.

The luchador (wrestling) matches are fun, funny and the crowd gets into it. Plus the dancers are not bad either. It's in a rougher area , so take the tourist bus specifically for the matches. You even get a wrestling mask. lol

Lots of awesome museums, and I can't wait to see more of them.

You have to visit the Zocalo, The main square.

Depending on what area you plan to stay in, I can recommend food.

luckyman
08-08-2018, 06:18 PM
Do any of you speak Spanish ? Know anyone in Mexico City? (aka D.F. and CDMX)

Any idea what kind of transportation you will use?

Depending on what area you plan to stay in, I can recommend food.

My wife knows some Spanish (has actually gotten addicted to watching some Mexican soap opera is show every night for the last few weeks) and picks up languages like lightning. The rest of us suck :)
On transportation, we just know we won't be driving ourselves. We were guessing Colonia Centro, but we're definitely open for suggestions on both what area to stay in and on transportation. We'd consider hiring a car + driver for a day if that made sense.

FrankinCA
08-15-2018, 10:21 PM
A free state (AZ) in a few weeks .

shootist26
11-09-2018, 08:00 PM
Went to santa fe a few weeks ago. First time in the southwest. Very cool city if you like art and architecture.

We also drove to Bandelier national monument which was definitely one of the most unique places I have been to. The hiking trails take you around the old Pueblo houses built into the rock cliffs and ladders let you climb up and crawl into the remains.

Guerrero
11-15-2018, 03:17 PM
I'm taking the family on a week-long winter vacation to Nassau, Bahamas in the coming weeks. Anything I should do/see? The wife wants to go to the Atlantis water park for a day.

luckyman
01-21-2019, 07:58 PM
Eh, I already feel like I'm trying to turn this into the "Pistols and Travel" forum, so didn't want to open another thread. Anyone have any advice on travel to either Iceland or Scotland? I'm headed there in the summer.

Already asked the Scotland question in the Scotch thread, but this is probably a better place.

TR675, when I googled around I saw you have been motorcycling in Iceland. Any input?

TR675
01-21-2019, 08:29 PM
Eh, I already feel like I'm trying to turn this into the "Pistols and Travel" forum, so didn't want to open another thread. Anyone have any advice on travel to either Iceland or Scotland? I'm headed there in the summer.

Already asked the Scotland question in the Scotch thread, but this is probably a better place.

TR675, when I googled around I saw you have been motorcycling in Iceland. Any input?

It’s been 10 years since I was there so my info is out of date. I understand it’s gotten a lot busier since I was there. We had a guide which was good, it’s easy to get lost in the middle of the country which is basically wasteland. The best views I saw were around the southern ring road. Check out the glaciers and geysers too. The Blue Lagoon is a cool tourist trap but save it for the last day. If you get around a bit there are natural hot springs in the interior.

If you fish there is good salmon and trout fishing. Sorry if this is generic but we were all over the map and riding 12 hours a day. Saw a lot of cool stuff but it was hard to pay attention tired as we were.

BN
01-21-2019, 08:59 PM
My wife wants to go to Key West sometime and snorkel. Any suggestions? We will have 3 teenagers with us.

RJ
01-21-2019, 09:07 PM
My wife wants to go to Key West sometime and snorkel. Any suggestions? We will have 3 teenagers with us.

Bill, what kind of snorkeling experience does your family have?

BN
01-21-2019, 09:09 PM
Bill, what kind of snorkeling experience does your family have?

None. ;) My wife was a certified scuba diver many years ago but hasn't kept it up.

RJ
01-21-2019, 09:11 PM
... or Scotland?

I took a driving tour of Scotland for a couple weeks in the 90s when I lived in the UK. Got up to Inverness. Did the major sights; Edinburgh, Glasgow, Loch Ness.

Lots of sheep lol. And it is light verrry late (like, sunset 10PM) in the summer.

Are you on a tour?

RJ
01-21-2019, 09:16 PM
None. ;) My wife was a certified scuba diver many years ago but hasn't kept it up.

Cool.

There’s a lot to see and do in Key West for a family for a few days, for sure. It’s a fun place.

I don’t have direct experience with any snorkel operators. Pick one that’s highly rated and enjoy it?

I’ve done a few dives there, but it was 15-20 years ago. I don’t recall it being terribly good vis, or particularly warm. Like, need a 1/8” shortie warm, maybe a vest. I used to take a Darlexx one piece I liked. But I get cold easy lol.

BN
01-21-2019, 09:19 PM
Cool.

There’s a lot to see and do in Key West for a family for a few days, for sure. It’s a fun place.

I don’t have direct experience with any snorkel operators. Pick one that’s highly rated and enjoy it?

I’ve done a few dives there, but it was 15-20 years ago. I don’t recall it being terribly good vis, or particularly warm. Like, need a 1/8” shortie warm, maybe a vest. I used to take a Darlexx one piece I liked. But I get cold easy lol.

Thanks for the info. My wife gets cold easy too. ;) Good to know.

RJ
01-21-2019, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the info. My wife gets cold easy too. ;) Good to know.

January appears to have the coldest water temps, and July / Aug the hottest. The source I used had 69°F in Jan and 87°F for August.

I can say at 69° I’d want a pretty decent fitting 3/16” one piece wetsuIt over a skin if I was going in. Maybe a hood too lol. IIRC a lot of the operators will have optional wetsuits available. If you go in winter, you might want to opt for that.

Even your teenagers, who of course know everything :) might benefit. Nothing ruins a pleasant day on the water more than someone getting cold and miserable.

Good luck and have fun if you go!

BN
01-21-2019, 09:32 PM
January appears to have the coldest water temps, and July / Aug the hottest. The source I used had 69°F in Jan and 87°F for August.

I can say at 69° I’d want a pretty decent fitting 3/16” one piece wetsuIt over a skin if I was going in. Maybe a hood too lol. IIRC a lot of the operators will have optional wetsuits available. If you go in winter, you might want to opt for that.

Even your teenagers, who of course know everything :) might benefit. Nothing ruins a pleasant day on the water more than someone getting cold and miserable.

Good luck and have fun if you go!

Thanks. We are kicking around places for a vacation. Places discussed so far are Key West, a NC beach or Smoky Mountains. Thanks for giving me the temps in American. ;)

Guinnessman
01-21-2019, 10:12 PM
Bill,

While I have never snorkeled in Key West, I absolutely love the environment, bars, and restaurants there. I personally would pass on a trip there with the fam until the kiddos could partake in the downing of adult beverages! I am not sure how you plan on traveling to Key West, but renting a car in Miami or Ft Lauderdale and driving the keys is a great trip!

In the past I have stayed at some of the bigger hotels in Key West, and they would be suitable for families. Good luck!

luckyman
01-21-2019, 11:13 PM
I took a driving tour of Scotland for a couple weeks in the 90s when I lived in the UK. Got up to Inverness. Did the major sights; Edinburgh, Glasgow, Loch Ness.

Lots of sheep lol. And it is light verrry late (like, sunset 10PM) in the summer.

Are you on a tour?

There are 6 of us. We were thinking about renting 2 cars and driving ourselves, but no solid plans yet.

pangloss
01-22-2019, 12:42 AM

TR675, when I googled around I saw you have been motorcycling in Iceland. Any input?My wife and I went to Scotland in 2008. We took the overnight ferry up to Shetland and visited there for a few days. It was the highlight of our trip. The Shetlands are sparsely populated, and I'm crowd averse.

luckyman
01-22-2019, 12:48 AM
My wife and I went to Scotland in 2008. We took the overnight ferry up to Shetland and visited there for a few days. It was the highlight of our trip. The Shetlands are sparsely populated, and I'm crowd averse.

Thanks for the tip! This wasn’t on my radar.

I can tolerate crowds, but I sure don’t enjoy them. “Crowd” to me = anything over about 10 people [emoji1]

Drang
01-22-2019, 05:14 AM
A long weekend in Victoria, BC, for our anniversary.
A long weekend in Indianapolis for the NRA Annual Meeting.
A weekend in Seaside Oregon for SeaPac, the Pacific Northwest Amateur Radio Convention. I apparently snagged the last studio apartment at the time share for the weekend, and maybe the last room of any kind; the entire town usually sells out as everyone is checking out the year before...
A reprise of the Alaska Cruise from several years ago.

HH6 is only guaranteed to be along on the first and last of those...

I'll still have a shit ton of "use or lose" leave, so the rest depends on finances.

RJ
01-22-2019, 05:40 AM
There are 6 of us. We were thinking about renting 2 cars and driving ourselves, but no solid plans yet.

You all good w driving on the left?

Roads were good but narrow, very narrow, up North.

I stayed at local hotels, no chains etc. It gets fairly remote up there, but the cities are quite busy.

I was surprised how much the Scots despised the English. They seemed to like Americans though.

I’ll see if i can find you a video of a Beeb Sit-Com with a character called Rab C. Nesbitt. Good practice for language skills. :)

edit Ooch - ‘ere ya go laddie:

https://youtu.be/ZKJY5x907-s

pangloss
01-22-2019, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the tip! This wasn’t on my radar.

I can tolerate crowds, but I sure don’t enjoy them. “Crowd” to me = anything over about 10 people [emoji1]If Shetland is too far out of the way, you might look into Orkney. I've never been there, but my wife has and she really enjoyed it. As per Rich's comment about driving on the wrong side of the road, we didn't rent a car until we got to Shetland, which worked well because there weren't many other cars on the road. I took my first round about in the wrong direction, but I had a lot of room for error since no other cars were even in sight.

luckyman
01-22-2019, 09:29 AM
You all good w driving on the left?

Roads were good but narrow, very narrow..

Yeah I’ve done extended driving vacations in Ireland and New Zealand; plus 2 members of our party actually live where driving on the left is the rule (Malaysia and Australia). The only thing is none of us are that excited about trying to drive a vehicle big enough to fit all of us on such narrow roads, so we were thinking 2 smaller cars instead.

BN
01-22-2019, 10:44 AM
Bill,

While I have never snorkeled in Key West, I absolutely love the environment, bars, and restaurants there. I personally would pass on a trip there with the fam until the kiddos could partake in the downing of adult beverages! I am not sure how you plan on traveling to Key West, but renting a car in Miami or Ft Lauderdale and driving the keys is a great trip!

In the past I have stayed at some of the bigger hotels in Key West, and they would be suitable for families. Good luck!

Great info. Thanks. We had thought about a direct flight to Key West. Good to hear about the other options. We aren't night life people, so hadn't even considered that part. ;) The main part of that trip is because my wife wants to snorkel coral reefs. Happy wife, happy life you know. :)

Guinnessman
01-22-2019, 11:13 AM
Great info. Thanks. We had thought about a direct flight to Key West. Good to hear about the other options. We aren't night life people, so hadn't even considered that part. ;) The main part of that trip is because my wife wants to snorkel coral reefs. Happy wife, happy life you know. :)

The drive from Ft Lauderdale to Key West is around 4 hours. If you don’t care about the sight seeing and just want to get there, the nonstop flight is a no brainer. Key West has always been a favorite of mine, and your wife should be very happy there.;)

It’s been around 10 years since my last trip to Key West. The Commodore, Kelly’s, and Blue Heaven were my favorite restaurants down there. Double check their reviews, but those give you a place to start.

BN
01-22-2019, 11:21 AM
The drive from Ft Lauderdale to Key West is around 4 hours. If you don’t care about the sight seeing and just want to get there, the nonstop flight is a no brainer. Key West has always been a favorite of mine, and your wife should be very happy there.;)

It’s been around 10 years since my last trip to Key West. The Commodore, Kelly’s, and Blue Heaven were my favorite restaurants down there. Double check their reviews, but those give you a place to start.

I have been to Key West one time but I don't remember a whole lot about it. Back about 1967 or so a couple of buddies and I went to Fort Lauderdale for spring break. Turns out we were a week too late. LOL We decided to drive to Key West because we could. We were on our way back and it was my turn to drive. I was white knuckling it across the old 2 lane 7 mile bridge at 50 MPH when a Greyhound pulled out and passed me running about 70. Scared me almost to death. :) I guess they have a better bridge now.

TGS
01-22-2019, 12:32 PM
I flew about 60,000 miles of air travel since August.

Let's see where this year takes me.

Larry Sellers
01-22-2019, 01:20 PM
I flew about 60,000 miles of air travel since August.

Let's see where this year takes me.You must have a phenomenal immune system.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Matt O
01-22-2019, 01:52 PM
Haven't traveled anywhere in the past couple years beyond some car trips to the beach, but will be doing some international travel this year. Need to head back to Beijing to see friends and family and have some good friends stationed in Paris we've been meaning to visit. That said, the limits of my sanity may be reached after one iteration of stuffing a 2 and 4 year old into a metal tube for 10+ hours at a time so the Paris trip may have to wait until 2020.

Larry Sellers
01-22-2019, 04:57 PM
May be a long shot: has anyone done a Lake Como in Italy trip or something along those lines? Wife and I are looking to do something like a northern Italy/Switzerland trip in the 12 day timeframe.

shootist26
01-22-2019, 05:07 PM
You must have a phenomenal immune system.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk-Take a daily zinc tablet on travel days. -Regularly use those hand sanitizing gels. -Always use sanitizing wipes on your seat tray and arm rests(they are never cleaned). -Dont touch your face.

That's my strategy for avoiding getting sick when traveling.

RJ
01-22-2019, 06:25 PM
I have been to Key West one time but I don't remember a whole lot about it. Back about 1967 or so a couple of buddies and I went to Fort Lauderdale for spring break. Turns out we were a week too late. LOL We decided to drive to Key West because we could. We were on our way back and it was my turn to drive. I was white knuckling it across the old 2 lane 7 mile bridge at 50 MPH when a Greyhound pulled out and passed me running about 70. Scared me almost to death. :) I guess they have a better bridge now.

Bill

If you are looking for good snorkeling and maybe not so much night life, John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park is in Key Largo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pennekamp_Coral_Reef_State_Park

We’ve stayed several times at various hotels in Key Largo on scuba trips. We like that part of the Upper Keys a lot.

Docs Diner is a real winner:

https://g.co/kgs/4kL1w6

BN
01-22-2019, 06:52 PM
Bill

If you are looking for good snorkeling and maybe not so much night life, John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park is in Key Largo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pennekamp_Coral_Reef_State_Park

We’ve stayed several times at various hotels in Key Largo on scuba trips. We like that part of the Upper Keys a lot.

Docs Diner is a real winner:

https://g.co/kgs/4kL1w6

Rich, thanks. That's some really good info. :)

luckyman
01-22-2019, 06:55 PM
May be a long shot: has anyone done a Lake Como in Italy trip or something along those lines? Wife and I are looking to do something like a northern Italy/Switzerland trip in the 12 day timeframe.

This worked well for us:
-Fly into Milan. Prebook a tour to the Duomo (cathedral and rooftop) plus the last supper. Don’t spend a lot of time in Milan though.

-A possible side trip would be Bergamo.

-Train to Varena, then ferry / boat to the towns around Lake Cuomo like Bellagio, Mennagio, Lenno, and Cuomo. We ran out of time for Switzerland; were wanting to check out Lugano.

We did a separate trip into Switzerland that was fantastic including Zurich, Lucerne, the Jungfrauoch, Interlaken, and Geneva; but that was a pretty big trip all by itself.

Edited to clarify Milan, plus: Swiss trains are a wonder of the modern world. I greatly prefer Swiss efficiency to Italian chaos, with an exception for Pizza pistols.

RJ
01-22-2019, 07:10 PM
This worked well for us:
-Fly into Milan. Prebook a tour to the Duomo (cathedral and rooftop) plus the last supper. Don’t spend a lot of time in Milan though.

-A possible side trip would be Bergamo.

-Train to Varena, then ferry / boat to the towns around Lake Cuomo like Bellagio, Mennagio, Lenno, and Cuomo. We ran out of time for Switzerland; were wanting to check out Lugano.

We did a separate trip into Switzerland that was fantastic including Zurich, Lucerne, the Jungfrauoch, Interlaken, and Geneva; but that was a pretty big trip all by itself.

Edited to clarify Milan, plus: Swiss trains are a wonder of the modern world. I greatly prefer Swiss efficiency to Italian chaos, with an exception for Pizza pistols.

I like the sound of this.

Have you been to Florence? I’m told that is a good Art and Architecture destination?

luckyman
01-22-2019, 07:18 PM
I like the sound of this.

Have you been to Florence? I’m told that is a good Art and Architecture destination?

My daughter got married in a little village on the outskirts of Florence, so we have been there several times. It was at a beautiful winery called Castillle de Vicchionaggio.

Wife and daughter totally love Florence. I got my fill of the city before they did, maybe because of a limited tolerance for art plus I’m not really a city boy. I loved the area though, many people say Napa / Sonoma in California reminds them of the Florence area.

If you have specific questions fire away.

RJ
01-22-2019, 07:27 PM
My daughter got married in a little village on the outskirts of Florence, so we have been there several times. It was at a beautiful winery called Castillle de Vicchionaggio.

Wife and daughter totally love Florence. I got my fill of the city before they did, maybe because of a limited tolerance for art plus I’m not really a city boy. I loved the area though, many people say Napa / Sonoma in California reminds them of the Florence area.

If you have specific questions fire away.

Thanks. I’ll get back to ya. :cool:

(Mrs. went there as a teenager; I was in the School of Architecture for a semester before switching to Engineering. She said it’s an awesome place, and I really like old buildings. :) We are pondering a visit in a few years. )

ranger
01-22-2019, 07:50 PM
Rich, wife and I did Venice - Florence - Rome this year, 3 days each, very nice