PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about automated powder dispensers

LittleLebowski
01-16-2018, 09:08 AM
I'm looking at a used Lyman 1200 DPS. Backup plan is a new RCBS Chargemaster Lite (https://www.brownells.com/reloading/powder-handling/powder-measures-dispensers/chargemaster-lite-120-240vac-prod110247.aspx) or a Hornady Auto Charge (https://www.brownells.com/reloading/powder-handling/powder-measures-dispensers/lock-n-load-auto-charge--prod38566.aspx).

I know that the RCBS Chargemaster is the gold standard but....#PoorFag

Has anyone here tried the Chargemaster Lite, Hornady Auto Charge, or Lyman powder dispensers?

Rich@CCC
01-16-2018, 11:29 AM
I know this really isn't the direction you intended this conversation to go, but I gotta ask anyway.

Do these charge stations actually save any time at all? It doesn't take me much more than 15 seconds to throw a charge then trickle up on a balance, and I guarantee I'm more consistent than any automatic charge system.

LittleLebowski
01-16-2018, 11:40 AM
I know this really isn't the direction you intended this conversation to go, but I gotta ask anyway.

Do these charge stations actually save any time at all? It doesn't take me much more than 15 seconds to throw a charge then trickle up on a balance, and I guarantee I'm more consistent than any automatic charge system.

If they work, sure.

Hambo
01-16-2018, 01:26 PM

Unless you can measure powder and seat bullets at the same time it will save you time. My RCBS is also accurate.

Wyoming Shooter
01-16-2018, 03:53 PM
I cannot speak to anything other than the RCBS Chargemaster. It's been a great machine. I use the "McDonald's straw trick" and very seldom experience over or under charges. Best, ELN.

Mitch
01-16-2018, 06:25 PM
I had a chargemaster that went tits up after about a year. It looks like the Lite would do everything I used it for.

Sorry for the derail but what press is this for? Are you doing rifle rounds on something other than the 650?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ranger
01-16-2018, 06:47 PM
I have the Hornady Auto Charge. I load a variety of rifle calibers - I have a Dillon 550 set up with large primer feed and a "308" shell plate. With that setup, I "semi-auto" load 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendel, 3006, and soon 280 AI. I say "semi-auto" as I do not use the Dillon powder drop. I use the Dillon 550 with an extra head and the appropriate deprime/size die to do case prep for all the caliber I am loading - say 3006. Then I use a Worlds Cheapest Trimmer to trim then a RCBS motorized station to finish the case mouth. Then I re-tumble all the brass to get off the case lube. Then I go back to the 550 put on the appropriate 550 head with case charging die minus powder drop but with funnel and the bullet seating die and then a factory crimp die. I have the Hornady Auto Charge set up next to the 550. I feed in the prep'ed brass, prime, measure the powder on the Hornady Auto Charge and put into the case with a funnel, then seat bullet, and crimp. Once set up, every time I pull the handle I get one loaded rifle round out. This may not be the fastest but it gets me a true weighed powder charge and keeps me from constantly setting up the Dillon powder drops for short rifle runs.

For 223, I have another 550 set up to "full auto" load 223 using the same bullet (77 grain) and the same powder charge with the Dillon powder drop. I load/shoot a lot more 223 than hunting/target loads.

I have a third 550 set up for 9mm and it is "full auto" but I use Lee dies and the Lee disc style powder drop. I have a head set up in 40 with Lee dies that work on "9mm" 550 as required. I have a 45ACP head that I use to load 45 on the "rifle" 550 - I do not load as much 45 any more - mostly 9mm now.

Been loading a long time and picked up 550s as they showed up used as "deals". One from a retiring reloader and two from reloaders moving to 650/1050.

LittleLebowski
01-16-2018, 06:59 PM
I had a chargemaster that went tits up after about a year. It looks like the Lite would do everything I used it for.

Sorry for the derail but what press is this for? Are you doing rifle rounds on something other than the 650?

Yeah, my 1967 model RCBS Jr2.

GuanoLoco
01-16-2018, 07:19 PM
I’d have to convince myself that my 550 (recently upgraded to 650) loaded 308’s weren’t good enough first.

I shot 5 shot 3/4” groups at 100 yards twice with this ammo - and I’m not convinced the ammo was my limiting factor.

Trickling sounds like an interesting idea, but I’d need to prove to myself that it pays for my needs.

ranger
01-16-2018, 08:07 PM
I am not saying the Dillon powder drop is not accurate - I am saying that I use the Hornady Auto Charge because I load multiple calibers and do not want to keep setting up the Dillon Powder Drop. I have one load for 223 and on that one I use the Dillon Powder Drop.

Sal Picante
01-16-2018, 10:27 PM
If you're not prometheus, then GTFO...

JK.

TCFD273
01-16-2018, 10:39 PM
I’d have to convince myself that my 550 (recently upgraded to 650) loaded 308’s weren’t good enough first.

I shot 5 shot 3/4” groups at 100 yards twice with this ammo - and I’m not convinced the ammo was my limiting factor.

Trickling sounds like an interesting idea, but I’d need to prove to myself that it pays for my needs.

You will not see the benefits of trickling at 100yds. You can have a very large SD and still punch small groups.

Where it matters is at distance where you will have vertical stringing. Any load you develop needs to be rung out at distance, I usually shoot groups at 500 & 800 before I call it good.

I use a magnetospeed during load development to find the pressure flat spot in the velocity range I’m looking for, then fine tune inside the loads.

With my 6.5, I load 42.6 grains, but 42.5 and 42.7 produce very small SD’s so I can be off a tenth either way and will not have to worry about vertical stringing.

TCFD273
01-16-2018, 10:42 PM
If you're not prometheus, then GTFO...

JK.

When your scale costs 2.5x’s more than your press

[emoji23]

GuanoLoco
01-17-2018, 06:43 AM
You will not see the benefits of trickling at 100yds. You can have a very large SD and still punch small groups.

Where it matters is at distance where you will have vertical stringing. Any load you develop needs to be rung out at distance, I usually shoot groups at 500 & 800 before I call it good.

I use a magnetospeed during load development to find the pressure flat spot in the velocity range I’m looking for, then fine tune inside the loads.

With my 6.5, I load 42.6 grains, but 42.5 and 42.7 produce very small SD’s so I can be off a tenth either way and will not have to worry about vertical stringing.

Thanks for the education! I have access to 500 and 700 yard ranges but sadly rarely make use of them.

Hambo
01-17-2018, 07:20 AM

If I was loading only ball powder I'd run it through my RCBS or Dillon measures, but extruded powder goes through the Chargemaster.

LtDave
01-17-2018, 08:20 PM
I’m on Chargemaster #3, #1 and its replacement from RCBS both quit working. Number one was replaced under warranty, #2 was out of warranty, but RCBS sold #3 to me at a steep discount 6-7 years ago. My neighbor is on Chargemaster #4 I believe, but he loads a LOT more with his than I do. My current one has been working fine for a number of years. AFAIK the neighbor’s has been running steady for a while now as well. That being said, I wouldn’t load rifle ammo without one. It drops a new charge in the time it takes to seat a bullet. Very efficient.

JV_
01-23-2018, 08:18 PM

IME, No. I stopped using my Chargemaster because it takes too long. I have a Harrell measure that'll throw within .1 and I trickle it up.

I prefer my Scott Parker tuned RCBS 1010 over my digital scale. It has 1 kernel sensitivity and is far more consistent.

LittleLebowski
01-24-2018, 05:53 AM
IME, No. I stopped using my Chargemaster because it takes too long. I have a Harrell measure that'll throw within .1 and I trickle it up.

I prefer my Scott Parker tuned RCBS 1010 over my digital scale. It has 1 kernel sensitivity and is far more consistent.

However, even the Harrell costs as much as every automated powder measure on the market ($2fitty (https://www.brownells.com/reloading/powder-handling/powder-measures-dispensers/premium-powder-measure-prod38305.aspx)) except for the $3fitty Chargemaster (https://www.brownells.com/reloading/powder-handling/powder-measures-dispensers/chargemaster-powder-dispenser-scale-combo-prod33642.aspx).

I should have a report on my Hornady Auto Charge tonight. Hopefully, I can hit Quantico for long range shooting with JV_ this weekend (like last weekend).

JV_
01-24-2018, 06:19 AM
However, even the Harrell costs as much as every automated powder measure on the market

You don't need a Harrell to throw accurate charges.

All of the Culver style measures work the same way. You could get an RCBS, with the stand, and a powder baffle and it'd work just fine. All of them require a consistent technique when throwing charges. Stop by sometime and I'll tell you how I ended up with the Harrell measures.

What I like about the measure and tuned beam scale is that things like dirty power, florescent lights, and scale drift (warm up times) aren't an issue. There are no keypads that get wonky or warranties figure out. FWIW: I'm on my 2nd Chargemaster.

LittleLebowski
01-24-2018, 06:28 AM
You don't need a Harrell to throw accurate charges.

All of the Culver style measures work the same way. You could get an RCBS, with the stand, and a powder baffle and it'd work just fine. All of them require a consistent technique when throwing charges. Stop by sometime and I'll tell you how I ended up with the Harrell measures.

What I like about the measure and tuned beam scale is that things like dirty power, florescent lights, and scale drift (warm up times) aren't an issue. There are no keypads that get wonky or warranties figure out. FWIW: I'm on my 2nd Chargemaster.

I'll be by this morning :cool:

JV_
01-26-2018, 10:33 AM
Do these charge stations actually save any time at all?

I'm at 13-15 seconds to drop the powder, weight it, trickle it, and dump it in to the case.

The factory speed settings on a Chargemaster are 2-3X times.

LittleLebowski
02-04-2018, 11:00 PM
I’m pleased with my Hornady Auto Charge purchase. Once warmed up and adjusted, it trickles the correct charge of Varget while I seat a bullet. I shot some decent groups today with rounds loaded using it.

LittleLebowski
02-07-2018, 02:23 PM
I’m pleased with my Hornady Auto Charge purchase. Once warmed up and adjusted, it trickles the correct charge of Varget while I seat a bullet. I shot some decent groups today with rounds loaded using it.

Set speed to Slow, trickle to .6 grains, voila!, Varget trickles to my set charge as I seat a bullet in a charged case and check.

I love this thing. Next up, I will be trying it with Tac.

minengr
02-10-2018, 03:14 AM
For larger weights I like my Lyman, although I hate the 30min warm-up. For 223, I find it hard to beat the older purple/brown Redding's. I have a couple. Maybe paid $25/ea off fleabaay.

Once you get in a bit of a rythem, the autos are nice. Can't speak for the others but, with the Lyman in the auto setting, as soon as I put the empty pan back it starts trickling another round. Usually takes enough time to seat the bullet and place in a box.