PDA

View Full Version : shooting related injury

irishshooter
01-30-2012, 01:37 PM
I recently sustained a strained rhomboid muscle from what is believed to be a repetitive use syndrome. PT believes it is also related to longstanding poor posture, occupational issues and bodybuilding in my 20s. It has been 8 weeks since i have done any dry fire exercises and about 11 weeks regarding live fire. Getting very discouraged with persistent pain and slow improvement. Any others here suffered any shooting related injuries similar to this or at all, in general??? It has however reinforced the need for me to stretch before a long day of drills and to keep up with the gym!!

ACP230
01-30-2012, 01:57 PM
I sprained my right wrist getting up from kneeling in a winter match once.
(Shot on snow and ice in a club's parking lot with 10 foot snowbanks as backstops).

Couldn't rack the slide of an autopistol without pain for about a week.
Could stilll run a revolver, without much difficulty, however.

Made me think, again, that's it's a good idea to have both around.

David Armstrong
01-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Any others here suffered any shooting related injuries similar to this or at all, in general???
Many long years of teaching shotgun finally caught up with me and now I use the big boomer only on rare occassions, and with a little hesitancy. Both shoulders have very limited motion due to repetitive stress and damage.

LittleLebowski
01-30-2012, 02:38 PM
I recently sustained a strained rhomboid muscle from what is believed to be a repetitive use syndrome. PT believes it is also related to longstanding poor posture, occupational issues and bodybuilding in my 20s. It has been 8 weeks since i have done any dry fire exercises and about 11 weeks regarding live fire. Getting very discouraged with persistent pain and slow improvement. Any others here suffered any shooting related injuries similar to this or at all, in general??? It has however reinforced the need for me to stretch before a long day of drills and to keep up with the gym!!

I was shot in my right elbow and will be dealing with pain and loss of mobility for the rest of my life. Said injury is not keeping me from shooting. I strongly recommend swimming (if possible) as a way to maintain muscles and joints important to shooting along with cardiovascular fitness.

jetfire
01-31-2012, 01:26 PM
I was going to post, but Lebowski wins.

TGS
01-31-2012, 04:05 PM
Ask your PT about obtaining a TENS unit. I use one for my back that I hurt, according to my PT either from Crossfit or all that military stuff. My TENS unit is likely the only thing that will keep me able to walk after ECQC come March.

Shooting can be a pain. I'll usually grab a chair at the range and stretch/crack during little breaks.

barstoolguru
01-31-2012, 04:16 PM
sounds like everyone needs a shot of geritol

LittleLebowski
01-31-2012, 04:28 PM
sounds like everyone needs a shot of geritol

Yup, I'm weak.

Corey
01-31-2012, 04:38 PM
Yup, I'm weak.

Always remember, you're not weak; you're other strong:p (and way tougher than me)

JodyH
01-31-2012, 07:43 PM
I broke my left arm (funny bone actually) in October of '11, which set me back on my FAST coin goal.
It actually improved my reload because it allowed me to "forget" the wrong way and start over the "right" way, but I'm still off a bit on my recoil management (especially in long range sessions).
It didn't help that I cut my cast off after one week because I was impatient...

Not to mention this same arm took a .357mag to the radius and ulna back in 1990 and still has jacket material in it.
The look on the X-ray techs face when she came in with my arm x-rays this last time was priceless.
Especially since I played dumb for a few seconds... "I have no idea why there's a bunch of shrapnel in my arm!"

jetfire
01-31-2012, 08:05 PM
I took an arrow to the knee.

Spr1
01-31-2012, 08:08 PM
Rhomboids heal really slowly based on my experience and are easily re-injured once they feel "good" again, if stressed prematurely. All the classic remedies for a strained muscle work I believe, the problem being that those muscles are hard to isolate for therapy. I don't know crap about this formally, just been a victim twice.

JDM
01-31-2012, 08:38 PM
Not to mention this same arm took a .357mag to the radius and ulna back in 1990 and still has jacket material in it.

! Whoa. What happemed?

JodyH
01-31-2012, 09:27 PM
! Whoa. What happemed?
Stupid place, stupid people, doing stupid things.

fuse
01-31-2012, 10:53 PM
The look on the X-ray techs face when she came in with my arm x-rays this last time was priceless.
Especially since I played dumb for a few seconds... "I have no idea why there's a bunch of shrapnel in my arm!"

Need backstory.

JAD
02-01-2012, 04:27 PM
My TENS unit is likely the only thing that will keep me able to walk after ECQC
A TENS got my wife through labor. I don't know about it for rehab, but I am a believer with regard to pain management.

JM Campbell
02-01-2012, 06:49 PM
My father uses a TENS unit daily for his back. Works wonders for him and he can't make it a day without it.

Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket