PDA

View Full Version : IDPA Rule on Guide Rods

JV_
01-30-2012, 01:02 PM
In the IDPA Rule Book, for SSP, it says:

EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list):

4. Guide rods made of a material different from the factory part it replaces.

How does this ruling impact a gun, like a Sig or Beretta, that have shipped with both metal and plastic rods?

MattInFla
01-30-2012, 01:22 PM
In the IDPA Rule Book, for SSP, it says:

How does this ruling impact a gun, like a Sig or Beretta, that have shipped with both metal and plastic rods?

It would seem to me that if that particular model has shipped with both plastic and metal guide rods, then you can run either a plastic or metal guide rod in the gun in SSP (provided the metal guide rod isn't substantially heavier than the stock part). I looked on the IDPA forum, and there does not appear to be an official ruling on this from the head shed.

The worst that can happen is you get bumped to ESP (again, assuming this isn't a mercury filled / tungsten / unobtainium rod).

Matt

jetfire
01-30-2012, 01:32 PM
If the gun was available from the factory with the part, it's legal for SSP. That's why you can run a Glock 17 with the large competition style mag release and the extended slide stop, they're "available" from the factory in that configuration if you order them. I don't see why that wouldn't apply to guide rods as well.