PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Burnout

holmes168
01-13-2018, 03:13 PM
Title says it all. I am burnt out on 5.56 rifles. I've shot tens of thousands of AR-15 rounds and never take my LE6920 to the range.

I keep feeling a desire for an AK, but would be interested if there is a different option out there for a long rifle.
Any suggestions for something new and exciting- AK or a rifle in a different caliber???

HopetonBrown
01-13-2018, 03:17 PM
Maybe shoot competitively or take a cool guy rifle class to reignite your interest?

Duces Tecum
01-13-2018, 03:21 PM
A precision bolt rifle.

In my life, when I've become bored with "X", I find relief by switching to something totally different. You can't get much different from an AR than a precision bolt gun and still benefit from smokeless powder.

As always in these things, Mileage.

Doc_Glock
01-13-2018, 03:32 PM
Learn the shotgun;)

holmes168
01-13-2018, 03:34 PM
Learn the shotgun;)

Isn't that where you ended up!

pangloss
01-13-2018, 03:39 PM
Learn the shotgun;)Sporting clays. Seriously, I think it is the pinnacle of firearm games. Sadly, I haven't been in a couple of years. You have to use a shotgun though.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

MSparks909
01-13-2018, 03:52 PM
Sporting clays. Seriously, I think it is the pinnacle of firearm games. Sadly, I haven't been in a couple of years. You have to use a shotgun though.

I love sporting clays. Don’t do it as much as I’d like but it too is my favorite gun “game.”

ragnar_d
01-13-2018, 03:57 PM
Been going through that myself. I still like my Glocks and ARs, but they're all I've lived and breathed for the last 10 years.

Since beltfeds and machine guns are out, I've been looking to play more with lever guns and revolvers.

Peally
01-13-2018, 04:07 PM
Guns in general get really boring if you're not using them for something fun.

Darth_Uno
01-13-2018, 04:15 PM
Build a badass M1A.

schüler
01-13-2018, 04:21 PM
Title says it all. I am burnt out on 5.56 rifles.

Spoiled brat. ;-)

.224 Valk, .458/.500s, 50 BMG upper

AR-10 in .260

AKs are interesting and a good one will cost the same as a good AR.

Malamute
01-13-2018, 04:45 PM
I like most long guns, generally older than newer, so I guess I'm probably an outlier here. I can get more excited about a well traveled 1868 Trapdoor Springfield than an AR. ARs are fun for distance shooting, and are easy on my wimpy shoulder, but otherwise dont get me very fired up about them. Practical for certain uses, but dont spark much real interest. Sort of like the difference between a nice Colt Single Action or perhaps an older Smith 19 compared to a glock. They are checked off the list of "ought to have one because practical", but not really very interesting.

Joe in PNG
01-13-2018, 04:46 PM
Mix things up, keep things fresh.
If you want an AK for funsies, go for it. Or you may decide that some other semi-auto military rifle may be more your fun speed- FAL's, G-3's, FN-49's, M-1's, M-1 Carbines, ect.
Or, go even older- lots of military bolt actions out there. A mad minute with a SMLE could be the way to go.
Then there's various .22lr clones.

The important thing- go have fun!

steve
01-13-2018, 06:19 PM
Go backwards, get a 10/22, build it up and chase very small groups at long ranges.

Hambo
01-13-2018, 06:42 PM
Benchrest: chase the one (bullet) hole group.

Clusterfrack
01-13-2018, 06:59 PM
Lots of good suggestions. I’ve bought two long guns that have been fun and interesting lately.I wanted a small truck/camp gun so I got an AK pistol and SBRed it. I also got a 6.5 Grendel upper, and have been having a ton of fun shooting it out to 1000 yds.

GJM
01-13-2018, 07:10 PM
Shoot USPSA PCC with an AR9 for part of a season — some of the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

HCM
01-13-2018, 07:18 PM
Sporting clays. Seriously, I think it is the pinnacle of firearm games. Sadly, I haven't been in a couple of years. You have to use a shotgun though.

The game itself is fun. However, the “clay games” people’s lax attitude towards safety puts me off.

revchuck38
01-13-2018, 07:21 PM
If you don't load your own ammo, getting into reloading is another possibility. Getting set up for it isn't cheap, but those costs amortize quickly, especially if you load for anything other than 9x19.

HCM
01-13-2018, 07:25 PM
Title says it all. I am burnt out on 5.56 rifles. I've shot tens of thousands of AR-15 rounds and never take my LE6920 to the range.

I keep feeling a desire for an AK, but would be interested if there is a different option out there for a long rifle.
Any suggestions for something new and exciting- AK or a rifle in a different caliber???

“Shooting for fun” choice is something only you can answer. The heart wants what the heart wants. If you want an Ak get one.

Just be aware a decent AK will be decent AR $$$.

There are 5.56 AK options which simplify ammo logistics, though guns tend to run best in their original calibers.

Personally I prefer Ak 74s over AK47s. Though the dirt cheap 7N surplus is no longer a thing, you can still buy 5.45 at reasonable prices and Magpul has released a 74 pattern PMAG.

JodyH
01-13-2018, 07:36 PM
I got burned out on 5.56 AR's so I went with the H&K MR762.
Running the thumping .308 head to head against the 5.56's in outlaw 3-Gun is a blast.
Added a whole new dimension trying to keep up with 20 round mags and significantly more recoil.
But watching it pimp slap the steel at 200Y when the .223's are barely making it quiver... that'll put a smile on your face.

Video from a small charity 3-Gun to benefit the food bank in Alpine, Texas.
Starts out prone on some 6" and 8" plates at around 150Y prone.
Finishes up on some 1' square steel plates at around 75Y from standing (the misses screwed up my reload timing, I was planning on reloading on the run to the target arrays at the far left).
The 5.56's were barely tipping the 1' square plates over... .308 was slapping them down.

https://youtu.be/wkdgCLWupps

pangloss
01-13-2018, 08:06 PM
The game itself is fun. However, the “clay games” people’s lax attitude towards safety puts me off.

I've only shot casually with friends, all of whom demonstrated acceptable gun safety. One time we shot when it was pouring down rain and the place was pretty much deserted. (I've found that rain usually keeps people away from the pistol range as well.) I really need to shoot clays again. I haven't been since I moved, so I have no idea what the couple of facilities near me are like. The facility just west of Nashville was really fantastic and one of the main things I miss about living there.

Getting back to rifles, I'm curious about the CZ 805/806. If I wanted something other than an AR, I might look at it, but it might be too similar to an AR. I need to work on my rifle shooting, but realistically hunting, for me, is more important than being able to run an AR or AK. Later this year or more likely in 2019, I'm going to buy a Ruger American and a bunch 7.62 ammo and focus on shooting a bolt gun from field positions. I would have done that this year had it not been for the cheap S&W 64's hitting the market lately.

JodyH
01-13-2018, 08:13 PM
I'm going to buy a Ruger American and a bunch 7.62 ammo and focus on shooting a bolt gun from field positions.
I'm going to start doing some "Run & Gun" training with my Steyr Scout in the Guadalupe mountains.
I'm going to set a few pieces of steel out and plan about a 10k loop with multiple shooting positions from 100Y to 500Y at the steel in the mountains.
Should probably call it "Run & Puke & Gun".

GJM
01-13-2018, 08:21 PM
Keneyathalon

http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=277.0

Talionis
01-13-2018, 08:26 PM
Highly recommend getting a decent AK (WASR 10 is fine, and can be had for under $600, Arsenals are awesome and are often twice that) and learning it. I got into AK's last year in preparation for a specific match (Red Oktober Kalashnikov Match, which is a blast) and really learned to love the platform for what it is. Pro-tip, put an ALG AKT trigger in it, you'll thank me later.

AR's really are pretty much the top of the heap as far as shootability goes, but sometimes it takes venturing outside the optimal to rekindle interest. My go-to rifle is not any of my AK's, but learning to run an AK hard really did a lot for rekindling my interest in shooting rifles in general.

HCM
01-13-2018, 08:36 PM
I've only shot casually with friends, all of whom demonstrated acceptable gun safety. One time we shot when it was pouring down rain and the place was pretty much deserted. (I've found that rain usually keeps people away from the pistol range as well.) I really need to shoot clays again. I haven't been since I moved, so I have no idea what the couple of facilities near me are like. The facility just west of Nashville was really fantastic and one of the main things I miss about living there.

Getting back to rifles, I'm curious about the CZ 805/806. If I wanted something other than an AR, I might look at it, but it might be too similar to an AR. I need to work on my rifle shooting, but realistically hunting, for me, is more important than being able to run an AR or AK. Later this year or more likely in 2019, I'm going to buy a Ruger American and a bunch 7.62 ammo and focus on shooting a bolt gun from field positions. I would have done that this year had it not been for the cheap S&W 64's hitting the market lately.

The American 7.62 is a neat little gun.

The CZ, like the SCAR 16, ACR etc are all too similar to the AR. My favorite “not AR” 5.56 is the AUG. really digging my MPX as well.

pangloss
01-13-2018, 09:25 PM
I'm going to start doing some "Run & Gun" training with my Steyr Scout in the Guadalupe mountains.
I'm going to set a few pieces of steel out and plan about a 10k loop with multiple shooting positions from 100Y to 500Y at the steel in the mountains.
Should probably call it "Run & Puke & Gun".

When I was a kid (maybe junior high?), I read Karamojo Bell's books. He talked about shooting one elephant out of a heard, then running after the heard and shooting another, then another, then another, until the end of the day. I can't remember if that was a standard practice or just happened once, but either way it was certainly an impressive feat. I don't think he was in the mountains though! Let us know how it goes.

pangloss
01-13-2018, 09:31 PM
The American 7.62 is a neat little gun.

The CZ, like the SCAR 16, ACR etc are all too similar to the AR. My favorite “not AR” 5.56 is the AUG. really digging my MPX as well.

I bet the MPX is a lot of fun. I wish that Sig's 556/556xi rifle had caught on better. I've never shot one, but on paper it looked really good to me. I owned an AK for a few years before getting an AR, and the 556 seems to have some strengths of each platform.

LockedBreech
01-13-2018, 10:43 PM
I hit this point and bought a Romanian WASR-10. I didn't want to spend the 1000-1400 for an Arsenal-class weapon since I have no intention of replacing my Daniel Defense AR for serious work. It seemed like the sweet spot for fun-but-not-that-expensive. When it gets here I'll let you know if it helped.

ldunnmobile
01-13-2018, 10:57 PM
Funnest guns I own: B&T APC9 and bolt 6.5 CM.

HCM
01-13-2018, 11:30 PM
I bet the MPX is a lot of fun. I wish that Sig's 556/556xi rifle had caught on better. I've never shot one, but on paper it looked really good to me. I owned an AK for a few years before getting an AR, and the 556 seems to have some strengths of each platform.

The MPX is neat. It really is an improvement over the MP5.

I had an early 556 and later a 556 SBR. Like the original 550/551/ etc they are just improved AKs. They were ok but not enough better than an AR to be worthwhile. It just made me want an actual 550.

MistWolf
01-14-2018, 12:46 AM

If you want an AK, get an AK. If it doesn't work out for you, get something else.

But I think it would be interesting to give a Winchester 94 in 25-35 a try. The photo doesn't do them justice. They're pretty rifles.
https://nagelsguns.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Model-94-Short-Rifle-MID-534174-hr.jpg

Talionis
01-14-2018, 02:00 AM
The MPX is neat. It really is an improvement over the MP5.

In some ways, I agree with you. In terms of reliability and shootability, I disagree. Ergonomics and aftermarket support definitely go to the MPX, but MPX's are also known to choke, and they still don't shoot as well as an MP5 from my personal experience.

Totem Polar
01-14-2018, 02:46 AM
If you’re feeling a desire to get away from the AR’s pragmaticism, then you need some "passion of the gun."

I recommend a tube fed pump or lever .22LR, and anything outdoors and reactive. You ever see a single-minded dog playing with their favorite stick? That’s the joy I get out of an ancient pump .22 and a bunch of junk: tennis balls, old guiness cans, pint milk cartons...

JMO.

mtnbkr
01-14-2018, 08:04 AM
Lately my "fun" gun has been my home built semi-scout 308 with aperture sights. I've been playing with a bunch of different subsonic loads (120gr home-cast lead, 200gr SPBT, 220gr RN...all with Trail Boss powder). Friday, I put 120 rounds of various subsonics through the gun and had a great time without obsessing over performance (mine or the gun's). My shoulder wasn't the slightest bit sore.

Do something different, something that has no practical outcome, but is fun and interesting to you. Hell, pick up a thoroughly unpractical gun and have a good time wringing it out. I recommend a handgun or rifle in a "dead" cartridge. 25-20 or 32-20 come to mind.

Guns aren't always "srs bsns". They can be the ballistic equivalent to golf, stamp collecting, or any number of fun, yet non-practical hobbies. :)

Chris

littlejerry
01-14-2018, 09:48 AM

100% this.

I find that when I'm at a good match I'm completely content with my old reliable solutions and have no desire to buy the new hotness. Whenever I start getting the urge to ditch the Glock platform I go to a match and it goes away.

rob_s
01-14-2018, 10:01 AM
Several years ago I spent "365 days of AK (https://sites.google.com/site/tacticalyellowvisor/projects---guns/365-days-of-ak)". It was a fantastic experiment on many fronts. Among other things, it made me better appreciate the superiority of the AR in every aspect, and made me a better long-gun shooter overall. It also re-inspired me on AR shooting.

I was already competing in 2-gun competitions (something else that has always re-kindled my interest in guns is competing) and competing, and winning, with the basic AK against homo'd-up ARs was very gratifying.

JSGlock34
01-14-2018, 10:03 AM
My 'non-ARs' are an Arsenal SLR-107CR and a Steyr AUG. Besides my own SLR-107CR, I've had the opportunity to both shoot and observe a number of Arsenal built rifles (to include both 5.45mm and 7.62mm versions, some in NFA configurations), and while Arsenals are pricey in comparison to ARs (especially these days), I've been impressed with the quality of the builds. Something to consider is that the price of 7.62x39 is cheap compared to 5.56mm, and it might be worth spending a bit more on a quality rifle up front.

You can certainly go down the rabbit hole of modifying the AK, but I've kept my CR stock over the years (despite a brief period when I was tempted to build it into an 'Alpha (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?14745-Current-state-of-the-AK&p=609776&viewfull=1#post609776)' clone). It is the only iron-sighted rifle in my safe, and still I like it that way. Considering the AK is the most common assault rifle in the world, I think time spent learning its idiosyncrasies is time well spent (Gunnery Sergeant Highway is still correct).

My AUG A3 gets very little trigger time. It's a neat rifle, and in my youth I thought it looked like a space gun. Certainly learning a bullpup was interesting, but the price of entry is still quite high.

NH Shooter
01-14-2018, 10:15 AM
For a pure fun and low-cost AR alternative, I will also second "precision plinking" with a .22 LR rifle. I agree with Townsend Whelen that "the only interesting rifle is an accurate one" - including .22s.

FWIW, I don't know how your AR is set up but after trying many different configurations over the last 20 years I've found the more "specialized/accessorized" they are, the more quickly I get bored with them. I also have limited interest in the typical hyper-active "defensive carbine drills" that burn through hundreds of rounds per outing.

To this day I still enjoy practicing the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship. Using my no-frills, iron-sight-only AR from various field positions, I shoot slow, deliberately and for maximum precision - making each shot count. For me, this is also an exercise in relaxation, something I can enjoy at my own pace. A beautiful spring day, a box or two of ammo, slung-up in the prone position and casually (and consistently) ringing an 8-inch steel plate at 200 yards, enjoying what a simple, lightweight rifle does best. This IMO is as good as it gets!

Below is my KISS carbine: a complete BCM rifle consisting of a 16-inch BFH ELW mid-length upper, an A-5 buffer, a set of DD fixed irons and a Geissele SSA trigger. It weighs 7 pounds (sans the light) and feels nicely balanced in all positions. It's smooth, reliable, capable of at least 1.5 MOA precision with 75 and 77 grain loads and best of all, just fun to shoot;

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/bcmcarbine-1.jpg

If I could only have one long gun, this would be it.

Bigghoss
01-14-2018, 04:02 PM
If you want an AK, get an AK. A WASR-10 or Arsenal has a basic 7.62x39 model that runs about $850-ish. Or a Zastava M92 if you want a pistol config. 7.62x36 has just enough more recoil to be fun without beating you up and the ammo is still cheap. And there's lots of cool stuff for them right now. Just go look at Hizzie's pics if you need inspiration.

Or just do what I do. Make rounds of all the local gun and pawn shops with no real plan and buy whatever catches your fancy.

Malamute
01-14-2018, 05:04 PM

This. ARs were really fun to me when I was hunting small game and 300 yard prairie dogs with them. Running rabbits, jacks and cottontails, are a blast with an AR. I'm also at least as happy doing the running small game with a lever gun. Been getting a case of the wants for one of the new Winchester 1873s, but most seem to come with crescent butts, which I am not a fan of.

JHC
01-14-2018, 05:09 PM
If we were shooting buds here, I'd offer: put them up and throw everything into pistol shooting this year.

ReverendMeat
01-14-2018, 06:23 PM
Just dive into a non-AR (My snowflake gun is an AUG, which I love but they are indeed spendy), shoot it, learn it, and if/when you go back to the AR it'll feel new again.

Or a PCC, all the ones I've shot have been so much fun I'm surprised they're even legal.

LittleLebowski
01-14-2018, 08:23 PM
Try a long range .22 like the Vudu. Guys are shooting these out to 400.

https://www.vudoogunworks.com/patented-vudoo-v-22-rimfire-repeater-action/

Cool Breeze
01-14-2018, 08:43 PM
Are you sure it has to be a long gun? What about a 1911? Just reading the active thread here on PF makes me think it could take a significant amount of time and money just to get it to run right... Let alone shoot at a high capability!

In all seriousness though... What about bullpups or SBRs?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

LittleLebowski
01-14-2018, 09:55 PM
Or a PCC, all the ones I've shot have been so much fun I'm surprised they're even legal.

This, plus a suppressor for it, and a Dillon to feed it, because it really is that much fun.

rainman
01-15-2018, 07:03 AM
M1 Garand.

Shot a local CMP match last year to qualify to purchase through them...it was a ball.

Put an aught-six cartridge next to 5.56. If you ever wondered why they were The Greatest Generation, you will know.

-Rainman

Casual Friday
01-15-2018, 10:11 AM

I've reached that point with AR's too. My advice, buy the AK. They're fun. Pull up the "Current state of the AK" thread and read the suggestions there.

GAP
01-15-2018, 10:21 AM
Arsenal SLR107 + ultimak rail + red dot = really shootable and fun

I’d say go for an AK, but if you go with a cheap one and just plink with iron sights you might be a little less impressed.

I actually prefer Arsenal AKs to many of the ARs I’ve shot; I use one like the above with a Surefire for HD.

LittleLebowski
01-15-2018, 10:35 AM
I've reached that point with AR's too. My advice, buy the AK. They're fun. Pull up the "Current state of the AK" thread and read the suggestions there.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?14745-Current-state-of-the-AK

LittleLebowski
01-15-2018, 11:19 AM
How about loading up some long/heavy .223 for a .223 RPR (https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-precision-rifle-556-hybrid-mb-gen-2.html#.WlzUKkdOmhB)?

ASH556
01-15-2018, 11:32 AM
I'll be honest, I go through cycles with hobbies. Fishing, hunting, (both seasonal) shooting, camping, and drumming. Within each hobby I vacillate between a "power" version of it and then a more finesse version of it. For instance, I fish 99% of the time with artificial baits. I'm usually running bait casters for Bass. After awhile, though, I'll get bored with that. That's when I swap to my 3wt fly rod for bream. It takes a different kind of technique and finesse to cast and land a fish on a small, lightweight fly rod, and on the occasion that a big bass grabs the fly, I have a wonderful fight on my hands.

In shooting, when I'm bored or hit a rut with G17's and AR's (see The One (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?29251-The-One)), I usually turn to .22's. I have a real soft spot for .22's of all shapes and sizes. Everything from a heavy-barreled 10/22 target model to a 16" walnut-stocked threaded CZ sporter, to a 1937 Remington 121 slide action. Cheap to shoot and tons of fun. Gives a break from the pressure to train and improve all the time.

philpac33
01-16-2018, 02:32 AM
I never thought I’d consider myself fortunate to always be a few years behind the times. I’ve put together some nice rifles and mainly shoot a year old complete BCM with all the trimmings; I have old Glocks and new Glocks but have just purchased my first RMR and awaiting my cut slide to be returned. I’m still WAY into my BCM, way into my Gen 5s, and really looking forward to figuring out the RMR’d Glock.

Now let’s just say I was getting bored with 5.56 ARs, right now I’d get into one of those nifty pistol caliber carbines. As much as I like hitting far away targets, I really enjoy a good hosefest.

peterb
01-16-2018, 07:13 AM
Or for something completely different....blackpowder precision rifle! :D
https://www.blackpowdermag.com/blackpowder-slug-guns-precision-paper-punching-machinery/

Hambo
01-16-2018, 08:11 AM
For something really different from an AR take a look at this:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/1s-9-3x74r-22-bl-1-4rib-sgt.html?___SID=U

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/The_Ghost_and_the_Darkness

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9.3%C3%9774mmR

Rex G
01-16-2018, 11:04 AM
I like most long guns, generally older than newer, so I guess I'm probably an outlier here. I can get more excited about a well traveled 1868 Trapdoor Springfield than an AR. ARs are fun for distance shooting, and are easy on my wimpy shoulder, but otherwise dont get me very fired up about them. Practical for certain uses, but dont spark much real interest. Sort of like the difference between a nice Colt Single Action or perhaps an older Smith 19 compared to a glock. They are checked off the list of "ought to have one because practical", but not really very interesting.

This. I have one complete BCM Lightweight Middy, a BCM complete lower, and a complete lower built on an M&P15 lower receiver, with an RRA LRPK and Colt A2 stock. The Lightweight Middy upper was on the M&P15 stock, until I bought the pair of BCM complete lowers. Purely mundane and practical, like a Glock, or a Dewalt drill. The AR never lit my fire, to start with.

My first AR was a Knight Armament, which malf’ed regularly. It went back to KAC, because, well, OOPS, they made a whole run of them with a significant machining operation not performed. Needing a patrol rifle, to use during one of the coveted, too-few certification classes, I quickly got letterhead, and bought a banned Colt Government Carbine, which never failed to function, but I never grew to love it, probably because the short sight radius, and fuzzy sights. After about three years, I sold it to a colleague with younger eyes.

I will, eventually, obtain at least one more high-quality upper unit, and not bother with iron sights. (A back-up, zero-magnification optic seems like a good idea.) No rush. Just a tool.

Paso Quito
01-16-2018, 11:36 AM
New to the Forum, been lurking for a while.

Friends play with black powder & long distance... think Matthew Quigley. Here are a couple of links to some of the shoots they do: http://greatbasinsharpshooters.com/range-events/the-billy-dixon-society/ and http://greatbasinsharpshooters.com/range-events/berdans-sharpshooters/

My buddy joined the Billy Dixon society after about six attempts, never did make the Berdans Sharpshooters.

The real good shooters are often old and this is a good place for us who are low speed high drag. They use rifles that are built using the original fabrication equipment but use modern materials. They can use black powder or smokeless powder for practice. There is something visceral about touching off 90 grains of powder :-)

As a side the guys I know who shoot this type of competition also shoot 6.5 Creedmoor at 500-1000 yds, sometime longer if they have the room.

If you want something a little different, look into SASS and get into cowboy action shooting, it looks like a lot of fun. Something completely different is to find somewhere to mounted cowboy shooting. I've never tried it but have watched national competitions... think barrel racing with 45 single action pistols shooting blanks at balloons - fast paced & exciting.

All the old time shooting seems to lead to a family type atmosphere where the shoots are kind of an old home weekend. If time allowed I would sure be interested in trying a couple of these.

1986s4
01-16-2018, 01:07 PM
What's fun for you only you can decide. For me, all my training/practice is to make myself better in 2 gun competition. My self imposed challenge is no competition only equipment. My carbine is a basic Colt/LMT with Aimpoint. Pistols choices are Colt .38 super, Beretta 92c or S&W 686 revolver. I shoot IDPA, steel challenge [with 6 shot .22 revolver] and USPSA when I have too much ammo bothering me...
For kicks I'd love to find a good AR 180 or a Galil.

ffhounddog
01-16-2018, 01:18 PM
I have Been enjoying my Ruger American .22lr with a can...

BN
01-16-2018, 02:43 PM
Try a long range .22 like the Vudu. Guys are shooting these out to 400.

https://www.vudoogunworks.com/patented-vudoo-v-22-rimfire-repeater-action/

I had a chance to shoot a Vudoo the other day. Pretty slick. A buddy had one on order and arranged to have a factory rep bring one for show and tell. If I hadn't just bought an Anschutz, I would probably get one of these. My buddy has since taken delivery and keeps sending me pictures of small groups. :)
If you already have a Remington 700, this is a good practice gun.

mtnbkr
01-16-2018, 06:14 PM
I have Been enjoying my Ruger American .22lr with a can...

Now that I have a can, I really need to get a 22lr rifle. The bolt rifle is attractive because if I get another 10/22, I'll go down that rabbit hole of customization...again.

Chris

UNK
01-18-2018, 09:09 PM
Sporting clays. Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Go backwards, get a 10/22, .

Combine these two and you will have the most fun shooting you can imagine.

Failure2Stop
01-19-2018, 12:55 PM
Personally speaking, guns that don't have a challenge associated with them tend to get evicted.
For me, the challenge may be to fill a specific role, to be used in a challenging event, or the challenge of coolness.
I also tend to find competitive events based on what I own or am interested in, which keeps the challenge alive.

LSP552
01-19-2018, 02:07 PM
For me, I need to have fun with my guns. Obviously some are more fun than others. Occasionally, training needs to take a back seat.

There are few things more fun than a .22 rifle. A lever action 30-30 is another rifle I’ve had a ton of fun with over the years. I’m on the fence about buying one of the little CZ carbides in .7.62 or .223.

Casual Friday
01-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Personally speaking, guns that don't have a challenge associated with them tend to get evicted.
For me, the challenge may be to fill a specific role, to be used in a challenging event, or the challenge of coolness.
I also tend to find competitive events based on what I own or am interested in, which keeps the challenge alive.

Yeah for me buying an AK rekindled my love for shooting rifles again. Funny you mentioned finding competitive events based on what you're interested in. I learned about the Red Oktober competition put on by Rifle Dynamics and am trying real hard to free up some schedule to go to Utah next Oktober and shoot it. Watching the youtube videos of it and it seems it's fairly laid back with fun stages.

Joe in PNG
01-19-2018, 04:09 PM
I got the GSG 9mm MP-40 replica solely as a S&G gun. After all, the accuracy is terrible, and I doubt it would still run after 2000 rounds- but it is a blast to shoot.

JRB
01-24-2018, 04:42 PM
Set aside around $800 and just wander in and out of pawn shops and old sporting goods style gun shops.

I'm sure you'll find something that speaks to you.

Personally, I'd recommend a classic S&W revolver, an interesting AK variant, or fun bolt gun. See also the 'scout rifle' thread.

holmes168
01-24-2018, 08:40 PM
So this is fun- my stepson dropped an AK off, with a thousand rounds. Apparently, California frowns on this type of thing.

HCM
01-24-2018, 09:47 PM
So this is fun- my stepson dropped an AK off, with a thousand rounds. Apparently, California frowns on this type of thing.

Mazel Tov ! You should start a thread titled “the Refugee rifle” to document your adventures.

Casual Friday
01-25-2018, 07:22 PM

Mazel Tov ! You should start a thread titled “the Refugee rifle” to document your adventures.

Awesome. Not the first time an AK has been rescued from behind Communist lines.

mtnbkr
01-28-2018, 02:19 PM
So, this is what happens when you get bored with shooting and simultaneously get a bug up your butt about busybody traditionalists. First, I needed better sights because the "proper" sights on the BP pistol are terrible for shooting past 10yds. Second, I was bored with having the same looking gun as anyone who could be bothered to buy a kit from their local store. Finally, I didn't like the wood ramrod. One, it was a bit short for my tastes. Second, it felt flimsy, finally, I still had to bring a proper cleaning rod for using mops, brushes, patch jags, etc.

So, I modified the dovetails in order to install a set of Ruger 10/22 fiber optic sights. Next, I modified the stock to allow the insertion of a brass tube in place of the original thimbles. This allowed me to store a larger diameter aluminum cleaning rod as my ramrod. I also drilled a tunnel into the back of the stock (underneath the action) to allow for extra ramrod insertion ('cause I wanted a longer rod). Next, I selected a traditionalist-annoying shade of purple for the stock, and used Brass Black to color all brass parts...well...black. It's not perfect. The Brass Black didn't work as well as I'd hope and the paint job has a couple minor runs. Still, I have something different and fun.

I actually finished it last year, but just got around to shooting it yesterday. It's great. At 25yds, I had no problem hitting the 6" steel spinner. It shoots a bit high though. I had to hold at the bottom of the plate with the rear sight adjusted all the way down. It could probably use a taller front sight. The stouter and longer ramrod made loading and cleaning much more enjoyable.

See, it's not all serious business. :D

The paint is glossier and more even than it appears in the pic. I didn't wipe it down to remove fingerprints and smudges prior to taking the picture.
The rear sight is even with the hammer, so it's not very visible here.

Chris

Unobtanium
01-28-2018, 11:18 PM

I went with a benelli m4 entry with an h2 and m300 500 lumen scout. It's just like a big bore 7 shot hk416.

Drang
01-29-2018, 06:01 AM
So, this is what happens when you get bored with shooting and simultaneously get a bug up your butt about busybody traditionalists. First, I needed better sights because the "proper" sights on the BP pistol are terrible for shooting past 10yds. Second, I was bored with having the same looking gun as anyone who could be bothered to buy a kit from their local store. Finally, I didn't like the wood ramrod. One, it was a bit short for my tastes. Second, it felt flimsy, finally, I still had to bring a proper cleaning rod for using mops, brushes, patch jags, etc.

So, I modified the dovetails in order to install a set of Ruger 10/22 fiber optic sights. Next, I modified the stock to allow the insertion of a brass tube in place of the original thimbles. This allowed me to store a larger diameter aluminum cleaning rod as my ramrod. I also drilled a tunnel into the back of the stock (underneath the action) to allow for extra ramrod insertion ('cause I wanted a longer rod). Next, I selected a traditionalist-annoying shade of purple for the stock, and used Brass Black to color all brass parts...well...black. It's not perfect. The Brass Black didn't work as well as I'd hope and the paint job has a couple minor runs. Still, I have something different and fun.

I actually finished it last year, but just got around to shooting it yesterday. It's great. At 25yds, I had no problem hitting the 6" steel spinner. It shoots a bit high though. I had to hold at the bottom of the plate with the rear sight adjusted all the way down. It could probably use a taller front sight. The stouter and longer ramrod made loading and cleaning much more enjoyable.

See, it's not all serious business. :D

The paint is glossier and more even than it appears in the pic. I didn't wipe it down to remove fingerprints and smudges prior to taking the picture.
The rear sight is even with the hammer, so it's not very visible here.

Chris

So that's what that sound was! Farby heads exploding...