PDA

View Full Version : Pump or Semi

23JAZ
01-13-2018, 11:41 AM
I have a 930 SPX Tactical. I like it however I used to have a 590-A1 I loved and could feed it anything. I use a shotgun for range / classes. What do you guys think? Should I stick with the semi or go back to the 590?

Cookie Monster
01-13-2018, 12:19 PM
I started with a pump, done a lot of training, now not so much, don't use or train as much as should. Seen pumps run just as fast if not faster, Indian not the arrow.

If I had to restart today, I'd get a semi for range, home, and general use. Really I am going to be going to work with it using slugs or #1 buck and I am not going to be short stroking because I am out of practice.

David S.
01-13-2018, 12:24 PM
I feel like the debate in this space is very similar to revolvers vs. semi-autos (except that there's no significant capacity difference, so it's less significant), AIWB vs strong side, AK vs AR, Glock vs the world, or every other "debate." There's probably some good reasons for some users to choose one over the other, but if this is for "range / classes" then those reasons don't apply to you. It doesn't really matter. Choose what you like.

HCM
01-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Does your 930 run reliably ?

In general I prefer. Semi but the Beretta and Benellis seem to be the baseline for reliable function out of the box.

We use pumps at work and I find the more time (familiarity and practice) the operator has, the better they work.

Crow Hunter
01-13-2018, 01:58 PM
I can only answer this from a hunting standpoint.

I started hunting with a Mossberg .410 (I don't remember the model, stolen in the 6th grade) graduated to a Mossberg 500, then a 835, and now I own my Dad's old BPS. I also owned a 590 for home defense during that time period.

They are great when you are on your hind legs and are very deliberate with the "shucking".

It is much easier to use a semi from odd shooting positions that can sometimes come up in hunting situations that undoubtedly would come up significantly more often in non staged self defense scenarios. Particularly those that limit movement such as prone or barricade positions.

While I still have my Dad's old BPS I have divested all my other pumps and use my old Benelli M1 for hunting/defense rolls. The Benelli manual of arms is vastly superior related to "select slug" (goose;) ) and more importantly unloading/making safe before moving to another stand/blind area along with letting me focus on the target, lead and follow through irrespective of my off hand/arm position. I can make shots with followups at a greater angle on LH to RH crossing shots for example.

My thumb does sometimes really miss that open loading port on the Mossberg/Brownings though.:o

HopetonBrown
01-13-2018, 01:59 PM
Seems like you'd get the most out of an 870 in a class, as that's been the combat shotgun for 60+ years.

HCM
01-13-2018, 02:20 PM
Seems like you'd get the most out of an 870 in a class, as that's been the combat shotgun for 60+ years.

I have 870s because it’s what we run at work but there is nothing wrong with 590s unless you want some type of pistol grip stock. A 590 with a magpul stock is a great set up.

Lon
01-13-2018, 02:24 PM
I bought an 870 to use to teach with primarily since that’s what my Academy kids need to learn on. One of these days I’m gonna get a 1301 because, 1301 w Aridus stuff.

TCinVA
01-13-2018, 02:26 PM
Does your current shotgun work reliably for the purposes you bought it? A 3 gun shotgun is a bit of a different animal than a home defense shotgun, etc.

If your current shotgun runs and fits your intended purposes, what would make you want to buy a different one?

If your gun doesn't run reliably it's probably because it's a Mossberg 930, not because it's a semi-auto.

In the general pump v. semi debate, I come down on the side of a reliable semi-auto. Pump guns, at least as they are being manufactured today, are not as reliable and trouble free as people believe them to be. And they are always subject to operator error.

Semi-autos feed themselves, and with the excellent options on the market today (I'm a fan of the Beretta 1301...I own two of them) reliability isn't really a concern.

If we had a bag of mystery ammo sitting around and you had to bet money on which type of shotgun would have the best shot at feeding that bag of mystery ammo, a pump would be a good bet.

...but nobody with an iota of sense feeds their shotgun from a bag of mystery ammo. It's entirely possible to get a good semi-auto and test it with the ammo you wish to use to ensure function. So the supposed reliability benefit of the pump gun is really just moot unless you find yourself needing to use less-lethal ammo, breaching rounds, and other specialized munitions that are typically only used in the armed professions, and even then only in very limited situations.

All of that said, there's nothing wrong with a good pump gun either. You just have to spend a little more time keeping your skillset up.

23JAZ
01-14-2018, 03:11 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I’m going with the trusty pump. Semis are nice but I like the comfort of the rock solid reliability of the pump action.

HCM
01-14-2018, 05:19 PM
I bought an 870 to use to teach with primarily since that’s what my Academy kids need to learn on. One of these days I’m gonna get a 1301 because, 1301 w Aridus stuff.

$$$wise now is the time if you can swing it - at $650ish 1301s are a screaming deal.

Lon
01-14-2018, 05:23 PM
$$$wise now is the time if you can swing it

I think I'm gonna get the Comp model. Have they been on sale too?

HCM
01-14-2018, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=HCM;698259]$$$wise now is the time if you can swing it

I think I'm gonna get the Comp model. Have they been on sale too?

No, just the tacticals AFAIK. There is a new version of the comp model coming out but apparently they sell faster or are not produced in the numbers the TAC is.

Cool Breeze
01-14-2018, 07:13 PM
The history and reputation of pumps are great but I would chose semi for sure. There are a ton of extremely reliable semis. They are softer shooting and easier to use.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

GJM
01-14-2018, 07:35 PM
The weak spot on a pump is usually the operator, where with the semi the problem is usually the gun or ammo.

BillSWPA
01-15-2018, 01:19 AM
Not sure how to link it in Tapatalk, but there is a thread discussing notes on high round count shotguns from one of the nation’s most popular shooting ranges. It is worth a read, and the observations of the guy spending the money on the maintenance might surprise those who regard pumps as generally more reliable. The Reader’s Digest version is that the Benelli semiautos hold up far better than any of the pumps.

The very long Beretta 1301T thread also has some interesting reliability discussion, and has convinced me that if/when I spend my $ on a serious purpose shotgun, that is what I will buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigT
01-15-2018, 04:34 AM
I'm firmly in the "all semi auto shotguns should be made in Italy , start with a B and end with a vowel" camp.

That said I trust a Benelli or Beretta semi to be less problematic than a pump when run hard. We see a lot more guys struggling with stoppages in matches with pumps than we do with semis.
Maybe I would consider a pump if I had to rely on gungy shells found in a basement, but if its my gun and my ammo a 1301, M2 or M4 is a no brainer for me.

I wouldn't touch a 930 though.

Hambo
01-15-2018, 09:16 AM
"all semi auto shotguns should be made in Italy , start with a B and end with a vowel"

That is one of the absolute truths of the world.

03RN
01-15-2018, 10:02 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I’m going with the trusty pump. Semis are nice but I like the comfort of the rock solid reliability of the pump action.

I hunted, trained, and fought with shotguns and trust a good semi more than a good pump.

Semis are better when shooting with a wounded arm, from awkward positions, etc.

Here's a video of me doing a very simple reload, shoot drill on a nice bluebird day. One of the first/worst malf I've gotten with a pump.

https://youtu.be/BEtlB2WcAVI

Now, I've been using Mossbergs since I was 12. That includes teaching Philippino Marines and training at Camp David. I still use them as my primary go to hunting, competition, a self defense shotgun. I'll get a Benelli of my own someday because a good modern semi is just plan better.

It's not even speed. Going from target to target I beat out a lot of semis when competing

https://youtu.be/rIK1v_cynS4
Don't fall into the same train of thought that think pumps and revolvers are more reliable. They're not.

willie
01-23-2018, 11:56 PM
To the op I say keep your eye out for a good deal on a used 590, and this way you'll have both. If I were advising a new shooter, my advice would be buy a Beretta 1301 T for defense use/training and buy a Beretta sporting semi auto for hunting/skeet/trap activities. For knocking around along field and stream I would recommend a used a used pump in either 20 or 12 ga. Why the pump? Everybody needs at least one. The pump gun's simplicity and reliability has now been surpassed by Beretta and Benelli semi autos. Buy either and be done with it. Today I bought another 870 for purely nostalgic reasons based on a lifetime of shooting them. As an old dude, I can justify nostalgic purchases. Everybody else should have better reasons.