PDA

View Full Version : NoVA KSTG Match at the NRA Range: 14-Feb-2012

JV_
01-30-2012, 12:33 PM
KSTG (http://pistol-forum.com/kstg) match
Tuesday 14-Feb-2012
$25
Estimated Round Count: 50-60
Squads begin at 5pm, 6pm, 7pm, 8pm, and 9pm. Six people maximum per squad.

You can call the NRA Range @ 703-267-1402 to reserve a slot.

abu fitna
01-30-2012, 09:40 PM
The 2/14 announcement is posted here:
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2940-KSTG-Match-at-the-NRA-Range-14-Feb-2012

Valentines Day is perhaps not the best option for many of us. Oh, well. I look forward to joining y'all tomorrow, but will have to skip Feb. Perhaps March...

LittleLebowski
01-31-2012, 07:50 AM
Valentines Day is perhaps not the best option for many of us. Oh, well. I look forward to joining y'all tomorrow, but will have to skip Feb. Perhaps March...

Tell her it is a silly, made up Hallmark holiday and take her out some other time.

bdcheung
01-31-2012, 08:23 AM
Tell her it is a silly, made up Hallmark holiday and take her out some other time.

:D

I count myself among the lucky. My wife views Valentine's day as nothing more than a conspiracy to overcharge for a prix fixed meal and force otherwise unloving couples to fake, for one day, semi-genuine affection for each other.

<rant>if you love your significant other/partner/dog/gun/car/whatever you should tell him/her/it often. you don't need a designated day to do so.</rant>

abu fitna
01-31-2012, 10:41 AM

Given that she has had to put up with work dragging me away from anniversary, Christmas, New Year's, and every potential vacation for the past three years.... I figure I've pushed my luck enough (grin.)

Tinygnat219
02-01-2012, 08:31 AM
There was one slot open for this match at 8PM last night. Couldn't tell you if it was filled or not. I grabbed the 2nd to last slot.

ToddG
02-01-2012, 01:38 PM
The match was full by the time last night's was finished. There is already a waiting list.

While we understand that Valentine's Day is not ideal, it's clearly ideal enough -- for those of you who like oxymorons -- for the thirty folks who got signed up. We certainly don't expect every person to attend every match. Heck, there is a very good chance that I won't be able to attend the one in June myself, and I run the thing!

fuse
02-02-2012, 11:32 AM
considering snagging a contourROAM hat cam on ebay to record myself shooting this match.
Would I be allowed do this per the range's policy of no photography, and not being the match director?

bdcheung
02-02-2012, 11:38 AM
considering snagging a contourROAM hat cam on ebay to record myself shooting this match.
Would I be allowed do this per the range's policy of no photography, and not being the match director?

I'll defer to ToddG for final word, but I saw people taking digital recordings at the 1/31 match. I'm assuming that so long as you receive consent from the parties being filmed, you're a-OK. It's been my assumption that the NRA Range's "no photography" rule is to keep people from being unknowingly photographed or recorded.

JV_
02-02-2012, 11:39 AM

Save your money. If all you want is video of you running a stage or two, I'll take it with my dSLR (HD). IMO, it's better because it includes what you're doing, not just your gun and the target.

Tinygnat219
02-03-2012, 09:01 AM
I have some safety glasses that record video and sound that I'm probably going to be wearing next time around so I can get a better idea of what I am doing wrong.

kle
02-03-2012, 12:41 PM
I'll defer to ToddG for final word, but I saw people taking digital recordings at the 1/31 match. I'm assuming that so long as you receive consent from the parties being filmed, you're a-OK. It's been my assumption that the NRA Range's "no photography" rule is to keep people from being unknowingly photographed or recorded.

There was a person I noticed during the 9PM relay that was taking phone-video, but it seemed to be of only one competitor, and I was reasonably certain that the competitor knew what was going on, so I didn't say anything. I might've been a upset if it were me being filmed, however.

JV_
02-03-2012, 01:13 PM
There was a person I noticed during the 9PM relay that was taking phone-video, but it seemed to be of only one competitorRight, he only filmed one guy - he happens to be an RSO. They were(are) friends.

fuse
02-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Save your money. If all you want is video of you running a stage or two, I'll take it with my dSLR (HD). IMO, it's better because it includes what you're doing, not just your gun and the target.

I agree. I probably won't go through with it.

honestly, I just think the FPS videos are cool, and sort of want one of myself.

and don't bother with the dslr, I have a camcorder which will do the job fine, that I can pop in my pocket.

Nate
02-14-2012, 02:35 PM
See y'all tonight. I'll be there with my G34 (because it's my carry gun, and I don't (yet) have a 26/19/17), shooting out of competition.

Or, does anyone who'll be at the 7pm squad have a spare 17/19/26 I could borrow for the match?

televiper
02-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Show of hands, who else DQ'ed by knocked over the vase tonight? I'm sure I won't be alone. Todd - next time? silk roses don't need water ;)

MEH
02-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Show of hands, who else DQ'ed by knocked over the vase tonight? I'm sure I won't be alone. Todd - next time? silk roses don't need water ;)

I thought about breaking the roses in half and stuffing them into the vase so that they would have no way to fall over. Wonder if anyone stuff them in upside down?

It was fun, I need to work on first shot and one handed shooting. :o

JV_
02-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Show of hands, who else DQ'ed by knocked over the vase tonight?Apparently I came close, but it didn't fall over.

JV_
02-14-2012, 08:22 PM
It was fun, got to work on first shot and one handed shooting. :oAre you coming friday?

fuse
02-14-2012, 09:06 PM
was a cool match, as expected.

on stage 3, did anyone else actively try and use the positioning of themselves and the 2 sets of side targets as "KSTG gamer shoot-throughs?" in other words, actively attempting to need to fire fewer rounds due to more distant targets being hit by rounds that were aimed at and passed through closer targets.

I got the idea after someone who went before me who got 4 A zone hits on one of the distant targets, despite only intending to shoot it twice.

this was pretty admittedly pretty risky, since there were no-shoots all over. the no-shoots were both lower, and so I told myself to make sure my rounds don't go low.

If I remember correctly, on the draw I engaged cupid 5 times, then the close target to the right (which I tried to line up with its corresponding distant target), then steel, then I observed the far target, which I could see had one A zone hit from a round that passed through the closer target. so I only had to shoot it once. I do not remember my little plan working on the other side, I think the far target had a -1 down hit when I observed it. Didn't line up the targets well enough, apparently.

Although I wonder if this really saved me any time.

also, the more I think about this, the more sense I think it would have made to simply engage everything from left to right.

MDS
02-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Sorry, guys, I've been looking forward to this for weeks, I got into the 9pm slot and still couldn't get free in time. I hope someone was there to take advantage of the open spot from my no-show...

MEH
02-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Are you coming friday?

Yep, standard arrival time.

ToddG
02-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Results:

]TrophyNameClassTotalPoints Down High Overall1. Todd GreenMaster37.781 1st B-Class, 1st DA/SA2. James VentreB49.092 3. Eric BrownUn61.221 4. Jarrett SchulzB61.439 5. Jason StephensonUn64.1611 6. Josh SavaniUn65.0615 1st C-Class7. Joe ConnersC66.290 8. John GallagherC68.545 9. Andrew MillsB70.3613 10. Caleb FitzgeraldUn70.490 1st Major11. Julian GaetaUn73.563 12. John FrazerUn74.224 13. Darren LaSorteUn76.529 14. Christopher GoodrichUn83.995 15. Matt DogaliUn84.669 2nd Major16. Greg ZellUn84.739 1st D-Class17. Rick ChapmanD86.183 18. Tom IvesC93.469 19. Frederic MooreUn94.411 20. Ricardo AlexnaderC98.453 21. Michael HarnageB98.681 2nd D-Class22. Cody ClaxtonD102.825 23. Ed LynchUn105.268 3rd D-Class24. George SnyderD106.364 25. Steve GonsalvesD111.694 26. Larry AndingUn113.341 27. Charlie DoveD113.752 28. Rick NelsonUn114.016 High Lady29. Laura SnyderD120.907 30. Bonlyn HawleyD137.443 31. Mike WhitmanD149.9717 32. Doug HawleyD173.777 33. Long PhamUn178.885 Nate GuernseyUnSWS0 Daniel DiggsDDQ0 TJ ParmeleDDQ0 Chris RhinesADQ0

Full score spreadsheet (Apple Numbers) available here: http://pistol-forum.com/kstg/KSTG-120214-results.numbers

Congrats to Joe Conners and Caleb Fitzgerald who both shot perfect matches, zero points down and no penalties!

Next match will be Tuesday 27-March and we will be shooting the Classifier as part of the match.

Thanks to everyone who came out to shoot, and special thanks to Tom Ives, joshs, JV, and FredM for helping set up.

JV_
02-15-2012, 02:31 AM
on stage 3, did anyone else actively try and use the positioning of themselves and the 2 sets of side targets as "KSTG gamer shoot-throughs?" I shot both poppers as shoot throughs. They did't require visual verification of an A zone hit (later).

Nice job on your placement.

Nate
02-15-2012, 06:40 AM
I really have to hurry up and buy a "gamer gun", you know, a G26 or something to go with my G34 carry gun. And, yes, I still find that funny. :-)

66.43 and down zero, if it counted... :(

Thanks for putting the match together, that was a whole lot of fun. I learned I need to practice with the pistol more, and don't stare at the target on those several-hit ones. I found myself watching the bullet holes form--I have no idea how I was hitting the A-zone. On Stage 2 (10 hits on one target) I sprayed my first couple shots, got under control for the next few, then after the mag change I don't think I even saw the gun (much less the front sight), just watched the hits. I lucked out somehow.

Tinygnat219
02-15-2012, 07:18 AM
Well,

At least I can say that I shot a clean match before being Disqualified for "breaking the 180". :eek:
I just wanted to thank ToddG for his professionalism last night and for being fair and just with the rules. I learned last night what it means to be complacent. In the second stage with the couch, we were supposed to place the firearm on the chair with a full magazine. I moved the chair so that the firearm was thus breaking the 180. I was disqualified on the spot and justly so. I learned last night what it means to be complacent and I am glad that the guys running the match were nice about it.
Won't happen again!

TJ

JSGlock34
02-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Todd - Thanks to you and the other guys for running another enjoyable match!

bdcheung
02-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Next match will be Tuesday 27-March and we will be shooting the Classifier as part of the match.

Is NRA taking calls for sign ups?

ToddG
02-15-2012, 09:06 AM
I was disqualified on the spot and justly so.

Stuff happens. One of the first matches I ever shot at the NRA back in the late 90's, while I was actually working there, I got DQ'd for breaking the 180, too. The difference is that I drew my gun while facing uprange at the beginning of an El Presidente, then swept just about everyone as I spun around.

So "my muzzle was pointed at the side wall instead of the back wall" is pretty low down on the scale of brain farts, dude. Thanks for taking it so well. Lesson learned. I'll bet a dollar you never do it again.

(unlike Chris, who I'm betting will continue to knock over buckets of water at random throughout his life because he's just that kind of guy)

Is NRA taking calls for sign ups?

Probably not until 12-March.

Tinygnat219
02-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Todd,

Yeah, it definitely won't happen again. What's ironic is that I came home with all my ammo but one round, and my roommate Long shot all his ammo last night. I enjoyed the kitsch, especially the Cupid stage.

Thank you once again for putting this together! It was enjoyable.

TJ

JConn
02-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Again, a great match. Thanks for running it in such a professional manner. I learn something new each time I go.

Kyle Reese
02-15-2012, 11:52 AM
I wasn't doing too bad until I totally bombed the final stage (and added roughly 40 seconds to my time) :mad::p

Def a learning experience and I think a great time was had by all. :cool:

fuse
02-15-2012, 01:16 PM
on stage 3, did anyone else actively try and use the positioning of themselves and the 2 sets of side targets as "KSTG gamer shoot-throughs?"I shot both poppers as shoot throughs. They did't require visual verification of an A zone hit (later).

Nice job on your placement.

Nice job yourself, Mr. Speed Demon With A Brand New Gun

Shooting the steel through the paper! Brilliant! If my memory is correct I believe there was even less of a chance of a hit on a non-threat doing that.

I had a shoot-through that grazed a non-threat, but didn't break the perf. Risky business.

JV_
02-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks.

there was even less of a chance of a hit on a non-threat doing that.It was almost on existent. At the base of those paper targets was the very bottom of the steel, and it was actually perfectly centered on each target. I just drilled each target in the A then dropped a shot just above the bottom of the cardboard. Both steel fell on the first shot. Too bad I rode the slide release and had a glacial reload. Friday's session is reload work...

Arclight
02-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Shooting the steel through the paper! Brilliant!

You get good feedback on the steel -- that was a smart choice.

Just don't make the mistake I did which involved thinking you lined up "good enough" hits on the rear paper target through the front paper target then, while trying not to extend the clock, not looking closely enough to see that you managed a clean FTN instead. Fail!

Lesson firmly learned.

Nice match by all.

uumikew
02-19-2012, 01:49 PM
for those of us that have not gone over to the dark side? :)

Thanks for the great match.

-mike-

MEH
02-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Here u go (http://w1mt.qrpradio.com/KSTG.120214.xls)

abu fitna
03-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Anyone care to document the courses of fire for this match for those of us that missed it? Always curious to see what the tactical problems were when looking at scoring / match results.