PDA

View Full Version : Upstate New York travel and long guns

vaglocker
01-11-2018, 04:28 PM
Will be traveling to New York (not city) for a week this summer and would like to get some info on what might be a good firearm to take along (just in case). Gun would be in my vehicle (unloaded) till I get to my destination and then kept in a house. I know pistols are a no go, but was thinking about maybe shotgun. I would even consider a "shockwave" style shotgun for the size factor if they are legal there. Don't want to get jammed up with any of the kooky New York laws and the searches for New York gun laws are a bit overwhelming. Looking for info and advice especially anyone who lives in NY and can give me a primer on the laws as it relates to outside New York city, transporting etc..

NH Shooter
01-11-2018, 05:15 PM
When I travel from NH to upstate NY to visit our daughter and son in-law, I take Elmer. He breaks down nice and small to fits in a duffel;

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/lefever-1.jpg

Really anything other than a handgun or an AR and you should have no issues.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-11-2018, 06:13 PM
I've flown into Albany and drove around the state with a 10/22 without hassle. NOT NYC though! Had a case that fit it.

Cory
01-11-2018, 06:35 PM
I grew up in upstate NY (Otesgo County) and lived there until 2015. You're limited. Best scenario for defense is "don't go there" but obviously that isn't always a choice. Honestly what is illegal there changes almost yearly and gets worse every time.

No pistols.
Rifles that are semiauto are held to what amounts to the 94 AWB. If the feature was banned in 94 it can't be on a semi auto rifle. Some will get around this with a fixed magazine, but it still must be a mag of less then 10.
A Semi auto shotgun that only hold 4 shells (total) would likely be my choice. I would not get a "Shockwave" or pistol grip shotgun. Many folks will think it's illegal even if it isn't, and that can cause headaches.

If 4 rounds doesn't sound like enough, a pump action shotgun would also do well. NYS is one place where I think shotguns (and pump actions in particular) still have a ton of viability. In fact in some counties, rifles only became legal for hunting in the last 7 or 8 years. So shotguns ruled the roost for a long time before that.

The confusing searches for legalities in NYS... yeah. That is literally the state of affairs of the law. It has a ton of restrictions, half of which are misunderstood by the police (mag locks on ARs especially), most of which are misunderstood by the public (some still think it's 7 rounds in a 10 round mag for instance), and none of which lawyers seem to be able to get in front of a court who will clarify anything. Your safest bet is to look up the wording of the actual laws and read them yourself.

-Cory

Kyle Reese
01-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Would an NEF single shot 12 gauge be kosher in upstate NY?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

GOTURBACK
01-11-2018, 07:13 PM
I live in NY and will point you to the NYS police website for the safe act there you can determine if what you want to bring is legal.

https://safeact.ny.gov/registration-questionnaire

As long as you will not be in the city of Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo, Albany or NYC there are no restrictions above what is denoted there.

Semi-auto shotgun no pistol grip, no thumbhole or folding stock up to 7 round magazine capacity is legal and what I would strongly suggest as your best option.

I will also suggest avoiding DC, MD, NJ,and Philadelphia although N.Y. laws are what I am most knowledgeable about.

Cory
01-11-2018, 08:10 PM
I live in NY and will point you to the NYS police website for the safe act there you can determine if what you want to bring is legal.

https://safeact.ny.gov/registration-questionnaire

As long as you will not be in the city of Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo, Albany or NYC there are no restrictions above what is denoted there.

Semi-auto shotgun no pistol grip, no thumbhole or folding stock up to 7 round magazine capacity is legal and what I would strongly suggest as your best option.

I will also suggest avoiding DC, MD, NJ,and Philadelphia although N.Y. laws are what I am most knowledgeable about.

Ahhh, I was wrong. 4 shells is for hunting with semiauto shotguns. It's 7 shells for a semiauto shotgun when not hunting, your right.

Miss my hills, miss some people. Dont miss much else.

-Cory