PDA

View Full Version : After seeing this at the NRA's National Firearms Museum

fuse
01-30-2012, 10:58 AM
I informed the young lady I was there with that I would be in my bunk.

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6f83371-bd4c-7cae.jpg

She did not get the joke.

LHS
01-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Awesome. I need to see this exhibit one of these days.

Tamara
01-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Cap'n Reynolds' gun is cool, but that Gyrojet pistol chopped down to make a movie prop makes the baby Jesus cry. :(

jetfire
01-30-2012, 12:24 PM
I became significantly less enamored with Cap'n Mal's gun when I found out there was a Taurus under all that prop work.

Tamara
01-30-2012, 12:56 PM
I became significantly less enamored with Cap'n Mal's gun when I found out there was a Taurus under all that prop work.

I think every prop gun should be made out of a de-milled Taurus. Or Charter. Or Lorcin. Or... :D

Al T.
01-30-2012, 01:12 PM
every prop gun should be made out of a de-milled Taurus. Or Charter

Whoa! Taurus & Chatter Arms aren't already prop guns? You know, gun-like objects that go bang every now and again?

:p

jetfire
01-30-2012, 01:34 PM
I think every prop gun should be made out of a de-milled Taurus. Or Charter. Or Lorcin. Or... :D

Except it wasn't de-milled, at least according to my Firefly source guide (oh god so nerdy).

MattInFla
01-30-2012, 01:49 PM
I informed the young lady I was there with that I would be in my bunk.

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6f83371-bd4c-7cae.jpg

She did not get the joke.

LOL

Tamara
01-30-2012, 02:02 PM
...according to my Firefly source guide...

Dude, you just said that out loud. :p

jetfire
01-30-2012, 02:08 PM
I know, I know. I went through an awkward Joss Whedon fan phase, before I got tired of him making the same show over and over again. It wasn't until Castle came out that I realized what I really liked about Firefly was Nathan Fillion and Morena Baccarin's chemistry, and pretty much nothing that Joss Whedon ever did.

TCinVA
01-30-2012, 11:04 PM
'Fraid I never saw that one. I was too busy reciting for myself all the legal trouble I would invite by smashing through the window and stealing Dirty Harry's S&W 29.

I did not feel lucky, punk. :(

...oh, and I've never watched Serenity. I've reached an advanced stage of curmudgeonliness where out of reflex I ignore things I haven't tried already. I've made efforts to scale that back and I rather enjoy watching Archer now. Hell, I even downloaded a Skrillex tune on the iPhone and dug it. So is this Serenity thing as good as Archer?

secondstoryguy
01-30-2012, 11:29 PM
Archer is good but Serenity is better.

LHS
01-31-2012, 01:06 AM
'Fraid I never saw that one. I was too busy reciting for myself all the legal trouble I would invite by smashing through the window and stealing Dirty Harry's S&W 29.

...oh, and I've never watched Serenity. I've reached an advanced stage of curmudgeonliness where out of reflex I ignore things I haven't tried already. I've made efforts to scale that back and I rather enjoy watching Archer now. Hell, I even downloaded a Skrillex tune on the iPhone and dug it. So is this Serenity thing as good as Archer?

Apples and oranges, really. Archer is raunchy comedy, all tongue in cheek and with a firm sense of its own irreverence.

Firefly has moments of rather amusing comedy, but at its heart is a more serious, story- and character-driven show. As best I can describe it, it's "The Outlaw Josey Wales" in space. The protagonist is very similar to Wales in many ways (former soldier on the losing side of a civil war, now making his living on the fringes of society skirting the lines of legal/illegal work, with no regard for established authority and jealously guarding his freedom), and it has the same wry, fatalistic humor at times. But it's got a clear sense of right and wrong, and the protagonists try to stay on the correct side of that line while staying one step ahead of the law. I would honestly rank Firefly among the best TV shows I've ever seen, up there with The Shield, Archer, and several others, but you can't really compare it with Archer, as it is a separate genre.

Serenity is the Firefly movie, which IMHO was too rushed and hurried and didn't hold up well compared to the TV show. Part of that was the restriction of time, they didn't have a whole season to develop plot and character interaction, but they also reverted a lot of the characters quite a bit. The trust between them that had built up over the course of the first season was mostly stripped away to provide an easier intro to viewers who hadn't seen the series, and to make 'drama'. It takes place chronologically after the end of the TV show, so don't watch it unless you've finished the show first.

Chuck Haggard
01-31-2012, 01:41 AM
Shiny!

LittleLebowski
01-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Apples and oranges, really. Archer is raunchy comedy, all tongue in cheek and with a firm sense of its own irreverence.

Firefly has moments of rather amusing comedy, but at its heart is a more serious, story- and character-driven show. As best I can describe it, it's "The Outlaw Josey Wales" in space. The protagonist is very similar to Wales in many ways (former soldier on the losing side of a civil war, now making his living on the fringes of society skirting the lines of legal/illegal work, with no regard for established authority and jealously guarding his freedom), and it has the same wry, fatalistic humor at times. But it's got a clear sense of right and wrong, and the protagonists try to stay on the correct side of that line while staying one step ahead of the law. I would honestly rank Firefly among the best TV shows I've ever seen, up there with The Shield, Archer, and several others, but you can't really compare it with Archer, as it is a separate genre.

Serenity is the Firefly movie, which IMHO was too rushed and hurried and didn't hold up well compared to the TV show. Part of that was the restriction of time, they didn't have a whole season to develop plot and character interaction, but they also reverted a lot of the characters quite a bit. The trust between them that had built up over the course of the first season was mostly stripped away to provide an easier intro to viewers who hadn't seen the series, and to make 'drama'. It takes place chronologically after the end of the TV show, so don't watch it unless you've finished the show first.

Whedon got the idea for Firefly from reading the Killer Angels. Great book.

LittleLebowski
01-31-2012, 10:07 AM

You really need to watch Firefly the series.

NEPAKevin
01-31-2012, 10:49 AM
FWIW, the Firefly episodes can be downloaded from youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/pr0nyFirefly?feature=watch

LittleLebowski
01-31-2012, 12:07 PM
TC, I will send you Firefly DVDs if you like.

JConn
01-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Yeah I would recommend it as well. Initially I didn't really like it but it really grew on me. Great series.

SHOOTER13
01-31-2012, 03:30 PM
Shiny!

Some of the best parts of the characters interacting in Firefly / Serenity is the dialogue and the use of Oriental based languages when they get mad or frustrated, as well as words like "shiney" to express contentment or happiness... and Jane...he's my favorite character !!

Not an exact quote...but it gives you an idea of the banter involved between characters

Mal: we might not make it back alive...
Jane: well, I might !!

Mal: Did you remember the grenades...?!
Jane: Wait, you told me not to bring them...
Mal: well, did you ?!
Jane: well... yea !!

NEPAKevin
01-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Some of the best parts of the characters interacting in Firefly

Agreed. I particularly liked Zoë's matter of fact, one liners. An example would be the scene where she hands Wash a K-frame and says something along the lines of "This is a revolver; you shoot it six times, then throw it away. "

LHS
01-31-2012, 04:50 PM
Agreed. I particularly liked Zoë's matter of fact, one liners. An example would be the scene where she hands Wash a K-frame and says something along the lines of "This is a revolver; you shoot it six times, then throw it away. "

I like when the Shepherd (preacher) pulls out a gun, and one of the crew sends dubious, saying that the good book is very clear about murder, only to have the shepherd retort, "Yes, but it is more ambiguous on the subject of kneecaps."

MattInFla
01-31-2012, 05:07 PM
One of the best bits of dialog from the series occurred at the end of the first episode, IMHO.

Simon: how do I put this as not to offend? ... How do I know you won't kill us in our sleep?

Mal: you don't know me, son, so I'll explain this to you once. If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.

Simon: are you always this sentimental?

Mal: I had a good day.

Tamara
01-31-2012, 07:14 PM
Mal: you don't know me, son, so I'll explain this to you once. If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.

A strong contender for the awesomest line in American television, evar. :cool:

Not HighSpeed
01-31-2012, 08:31 PM
It's available on Netflix too.

Mal: "You wanna run this ship?!"
Jayne: "YEAH!"
Mal:Well...you can't!"

Mal, holding a sword at a fallen opponent: "Mercy is the mark of a great man." *stab* "Guess, I'm just a good man." *stab* "Well I'm alright"

Yes, I'm a browncoat.

NickA
01-31-2012, 08:46 PM
"Jayne, your mouth is talking. You might want to look to that."
Gotta love Nathan Fillion, too funny on Castle in his body armor with "WRITER " across the front.

tremiles
01-31-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm not the only Firefly nerd! Woohoo! I would have loved to see some Book backstory had the network not screwed with the original episode order which some believed caused the low ratings and cancellation after a single season. The movie was good, but not great. I believe Wheldon's whole purpose was to tie the story up in a neat bow to prevent some producer/network combo from buying it down the line.

If you really like the series, the commentary in the DVD collection is pretty good.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Tamara
01-31-2012, 09:47 PM
If you really like the series, the commentary in the DVD collection is pretty good.

I am given to understand that there are people who do not own the boxed DVD set, but I can't prove it since I do not willingly hang out with those sorts of people. ;)

Slavex
01-31-2012, 10:18 PM
I just finished watching Firefly references from Castle and Chuck on Youtube. If I won 200 million I'd buy the rights and make a part 2.

LHS
01-31-2012, 11:02 PM
I've heard rumors that Netflix is trying to buy rights to make new episodes, like they did with Arrested Development. I truly hope that happens. It was a great show, cancelled way too soon due to Fox's idiocy.