PDA

View Full Version : Jody's 43 round test

JodyH
01-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Here's my 40 round "test".
I usually run it back to back with a 60 round Hackathorn Standards as a 100 round competition practice/assessment.

A score of 150+ is good stuff, 185+ is smokin.

JodyH's 40 round test:

Shot from full concealment, hands relaxed at sides.
3 IDPA or IPSC targets spaced 3' apart, 7 yards from shooter (T1 - T2 - T3)
40 rounds, 200 possible points.
Scoring: IDPA -0=5 -1=3, IPSC A/B=5 C=2, Overtime for a string equals zero points for that string.

T2 head, 1 round, 1.5 sec. par
T1 T3 heads, 1 round per, 2.25 sec. par
T1, 2 rounds, 1.75 sec. par
T3, 2 rounds, 1.75 sec. par
T2, 2 rounds strong hand only, 2.25 sec. par
T2, 6 rounds, 2.5 sec. par
T2, 2 rounds reload 2 rounds, 4.5 sec. par
T1 T3, 2 rounds per, engage left to right, 2.5 sec. par
T3 T1, 2 rounds per, engage right to left, 2.5 sec. par
T1 T2 T3, El Presidente, 180 turn, 2 rounds per/reload/2 rounds per, 7 sec. par

Mr_White
01-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks for posting that Jody. Looks like a nice set of standards!

jetfire
01-30-2012, 02:17 PM
I shall set this up on Thursday and run it, I happen to have all the targets I need leftover from a class.

JodyH
01-30-2012, 05:37 PM
I shall set this up on Thursday and run it, I happen to have all the targets I need leftover from a class.
Interested in getting feedback from people, especially IDPA/IPSC competitors.
I'm using this as part of my competition practice/evaluation range sessions.
My highest score to date has been a 185, my average score is around 165.
I am a upper B in IPSC Limited shooting my carry gear and classify as upper EX borderline MA in IDPA.

jetfire
02-02-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm running this today to get you some feedback - how do you score a head shot that pull low into the body of the target? I'd score it a zero, but I want to be consistent with your scoring.

JodyH
02-02-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm running this today to get you some feedback - how do you score a head shot that pull low into the body of the target? I'd score it a zero, but I want to be consistent with your scoring.
Missed head into the body is zero points.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

jetfire
02-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Just shot it twice, I'll have a more detailed post later, but you need to change the name to Jody's 43 round test, because that's what the roundcount in your first post ads up to.

JodyH
02-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Oops...
Had a 9 round El Pres. on the brain when I designed it, but went with a 12 round IPSC El Pres in the final write up.
I shoot the 12 round 2-2-2-R-2-2-2 version.
Since I use a dump bag for my ammo I never noticed the mistake.
So it's either a 43 round, max 215 score or you can run it 2-2-2-R-1H-1H-1H in 7 sec. par and score it at 40 rounds 200 (which is what I'm going to do from now on).

JV_
02-02-2012, 07:59 PM
I fixed the title. If you can't edit the post, PM me with a replacement.

JodyH
02-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Had to make a correction because I'm a retard who cannot count to 40.

A score of 150+ is good stuff, 185+ is smokin.

JodyH's 40 round test:

Scoring: IDPA -0=5 -1=3, IPSC A/B=5 C=2, Overtime for a string equals zero points for that string.

T2 head, 1 round, 1.5 sec. par
T1 T3 heads, 1 round per, 2.25 sec. par
T1, 2 rounds, 1.75 sec. par
T3, 2 rounds, 1.75 sec. par
T2, 2 rounds strong hand only, 2.25 sec. par
T2, 6 rounds, 2.5 sec. par
T1 T3, 2 rounds per, engage left to right, 2.5 sec. par
T3 T1, 2 rounds per, engage right to left, 2.5 sec. par
T1 T2 T3, El Presidente, 180 turn, 2 rounds per body/reload/1 rounds per head, 7 sec. par

Requiring 3 head shots instead of the 6 body shots and keeping the 7 sec. par is going to ratchet the difficulty up a bit, but it should still be in line with the difficulty of the rest of the strings.

jetfire
02-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Alright, so now that I'm back at my desk and not posting from a tablet, here's what I did with this drill.

I shot it twice, my set up was the same both times: Gen4 Glock 21, 230 grain Tula steel cased ammo, Comp-Tac paddle holster, Shibumi tactical mag pouches, concealed under a fleece vest. The first time I shot it cold, I swapped out my carry ammo for my practice ammo and shot it.

I shot the 43 round version both times, and based my scores off a max 215 possible. I've broken it down by the strings of fire:
Cold Run

String 1 - Overtime shot, 0 points
String 2 - Overtime shot, 0 points
String 3 - 2 alfa, 10 points
String 4 - 2 alfa, 10 points
String 5 - Overtime shot, 0 points
String 6 - 5 alfas, 1 charlie, 27 points
String 7 - 4 alfas, 20 points
String 8 - 3 alfas, 1 charlie, 17 points
String 9 - 4 alfas, 20 points
String 10 - 3 alfas 1 charlie, 17 points
String 11 - 9 alfas 3 charlie, 51 points
Total score: 172

After using that as my warm-up, I immediately reset and shot it again.

Warm run

String 1: 1 alfa, 5 points
String 2: 2 alfa, 10 points
String 3: 1 alfa 1 charlie, 7 points
String 4: 2 alfa, 10 points
String 5: 1 alfa 1 charlie, 7 points
String 6: 6 alfa, 30 points
String 7: 4 alfa, 20 points
String 8: 4 alfa, 20 points
String 9: 4 alfa, 20 points
String 10: 3 alfa 1 charlie, 17 points
String 11: 10 alfa 2 charlie, 54 points
Total: 200

Thoughts
The par times on the head shot strings seemed very tight. Almost as though the test was designed by someone who carries appendix and has a faster first shot than someone drawing from beneath a vest. I had to push my draw right to the edge to get the hits under time, and in one case was saved by the grace of the large bullet diameter.

Conversely, the par times for the reload strings seem far too long, I was usually done with those strings in around 3.5 seconds. I noticed this same trend on the 99 Drill, and I have to chalk it up to the appendix carry thing again, where it's harder to get a fast reload from under a closed front shirt than it is under a vest.

From an IDPA competition standpoint, I could definitely add something like this to my practice regimen, as it forces me to do things I'm not comfortable with, such as make head shots under tight par times.

jthhapkido
02-02-2012, 10:38 PM
JodyH's 40 round test:

[snip]

That looks like a lot of fun---and some good diagnostic indicators for various skills. I'll have to try that sometime soon, as long as we don't get the foot+ of snow that may be coming this weekend.

Nice test!

JodyH
02-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Alright, so now that I'm back at my desk and not posting from a tablet, here's what I did with this drill.

Thoughts
The par times on the head shot strings seemed very tight. Almost as though the test was designed by someone who carries appendix and has a faster first shot than someone drawing from beneath a vest. I had to push my draw right to the edge to get the hits under time, and in one case was saved by the grace of the large bullet diameter.

Conversely, the par times for the reload strings seem far too long, I was usually done with those strings in around 3.5 seconds. I noticed this same trend on the 99 Drill, and I have to chalk it up to the appendix carry thing again, where it's harder to get a fast reload from under a closed front shirt than it is under a vest.

From an IDPA competition standpoint, I could definitely add something like this to my practice regimen, as it forces me to do things I'm not comfortable with, such as make head shots under tight par times.
My last run I had 2 OT strings.
String 2: (1 per head on the outside targets) was over by .09
String 8: I completely FUBAR'd a reload including trying to stuff my shirt into the mag well.

I agree the reload strings are too generous, I'm probably going to lower it to 4 sec.

I tried making the pars really tight to help me break out of the 100% Alpha mindset into a faster Alpha/Charlie IPSC mindset.

BaiHu
02-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Sweet drill and way over my pay grade, but I will keep it on my calendar for 2013 or just lower the bar this year. Any suggestions for a guy who draws and reloads both hover on average around 2.00-2.15 from a CompTac straight drop under an open jacket??

One other quick question, since I have not stepped into the competition arena yet, is this a 7 yard drill?

JodyH
02-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Sweet drill and way over my pay grade, but I will keep it on my calendar for 2013 or just lower the bar this year. Any suggestions for a guy who draws and reloads both hover on average around 2.00-2.15 from a CompTac straight drop under an open jacket??

One other quick question, since I have not stepped into the competition arena yet, is this a 7 yard drill?

Yes 7 yards.

Mr_White
02-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Ran this twice the other day. 155 on the first run, 168 on the second. Really wanted to do better, but that’s what I did. I had the first run all clean and all under time until about 2/3 of the way through and went over time on a four shot string, blowing 20 points. It went downhill from there. Did a bad job allowing the first screw up to unsettle me and then committed even more errors. Second run was a little better, no overtime strings, but shot a little bit sloppy. Didn’t do a good job making the head shots on the pseudo-presidente string on either run, and lost a lot of points there. Overall I did a poor job of PAR time management, getting done under time but dropping points. I want to try this one again when I get the chance.

Thanks for posting this Jody. I like it and will try it again sometime and post my results.