PDA

View Full Version : Man shoots himself, blames his Alien Gear holster

HCountyGuy
01-08-2018, 02:42 PM
Title covers the premise, but this was clearly a case of operator error.

Main article:

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2018/01/02/gruesome-photos-remind-gun-owners-check-holsters/

Photos with guy’s Facebook Post:

http://gunfreezone.net/index.php/2018/01/01/nd-one-bullet-three-holes-graphic-content/

Alien Gear made a post expressing condolences, but are not claiming it to be the fault of the holster.

https://www.facebook.com/AlienGearHolsters/posts/764218390441477

LittleLebowski
01-08-2018, 02:51 PM
I didn’t need another reason to avoid their crap.

Artemas2
01-08-2018, 02:59 PM
his explanation in the gunfreezone link just has me shaking my head

Lessons learned:

Don't use crappy holsters
Don't unholster/holster needlessly
Don't carry guns that weren't designed to work at non-OEM trigger weights
Seek training

Erick Gelhaus
Uhm, why on earth did he unholster when getting in his car only to re-holster when he got wherever before getting out of the car?

texasaggie2005
Betcha that a quality kydex holster and a SCD would have prevented that.

Oh yeah, and not fucking reholstering while in a car.

texasaggie2005
01-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Uhm, why on earth did he unholster when getting in his car only to re-holster when he got wherever before getting out of the car?

I have an acquaintance who transfers his carry gun from his IWB holster to his car holster mounted on this center console everytime he gets in his car. Then does the reverse when he exits. All because his IWB is too uncomfortable while driving, and he can't draw from that position.

Erick Gelhaus
01-08-2018, 03:10 PM
I have an acquaintance who transfers his carry gun from his IWB holster to his car holster mounted on this center console everytime he gets in his car. Then does the reverse when he exits. All because his IWB is too uncomfortable while driving, and he can't draw from that position.

Thanks for answering. To each their own.

Drang
01-08-2018, 03:11 PM
Suddenly Tamara's blog post Ugh. (https://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2018/01/ugh.html) makes sense...

Peally
01-08-2018, 03:15 PM
DAMN YOU MCDONALD'S!

- A really fat guy

JodyH
01-08-2018, 03:18 PM
The guy who shot himself identifies as a "Open Carry Texas" member... ie: he self identified as a dumbass long before he shot himself in the leg.

Prdator
01-08-2018, 03:22 PM
Guy that shot hisself is a Fucking Douche Bag... had some private interaction with him...

JodyH
01-08-2018, 03:23 PM
How the heck does this holster work?
He shot himself in the right leg.
If this holster was IWB or OWB for that matter on his right hip wouldn't the sweat shield be on the outside?
How does that big chunk of plastic belt loop contraption work?
:confused:

EDIT: Ahhh I see. there's supposed to be a plastic shell of some sort attached to that plastic doohicky and the retard was wearing it OWB.

100% chance this was finger on the trigger.

baddean
01-08-2018, 03:55 PM
In his comments he states that "Finger was nowhere near the trigger as I always put the palm of my hand on the slide plate to holster it"
Maybe he had his thumb on the trigger.
And maybe he should find someone reputable to teach him how to holster a gun.

DallasBronco
01-08-2018, 04:18 PM
In his comments he states that "Finger was nowhere near the trigger as I always put the palm of my hand on the slide plate to holster it"
Maybe he had his thumb on the trigger.
Also, shouldn't he have a big, nasty cut on that palm if it was on the back of the slide when the gun fired?

El Cid
01-08-2018, 04:34 PM
His story says he was seated but the wounds look like he was standing.

Nevermind. I misread. He's even more stupid for bolstering while standing outside the car. Someone seeing that might mistake him for an active shooter.

TAZ
01-08-2018, 04:44 PM
Stopped reading at I take my gun out of holster when entering my car. I’ll bet dollars to donuts that a SUPER DUPER high % of ND occur during administrative handling. This is why I try to minimize my admin handling of firearms.

If you want to stick your gun under a console, what not whine driving for better access do it holstered.

Sucks for the guy and I hope he recovers safely and learns his lesson.

Doc_Glock
01-08-2018, 04:49 PM
I recall Claude Werner say he avoids any administrative handling of guns in cars simply due to the many, many reported cases of ND.
HeadHunter

CS Tactical
01-08-2018, 05:07 PM

IHOP has all you can eat pancakes, sometimes you need room :rolleyes:

WobblyPossum
01-08-2018, 05:49 PM
If I have to leave my gun in the car, which I only do when going into legally prohibitive places such as the courthouse or the post office, I take the whole holster out of my pants exactly to avoid handling the gun in a manner in which it can be fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnO
01-08-2018, 05:50 PM
There is nothing wrong with looking the gun into the holster. If there truly was a problem then it could have been seen and resolved.

Then there is the issue of monkeying with the trigger. If you don't know what you are doing you are asking for trouble.

Kyle Reese
01-08-2018, 06:14 PM
Uhm, why on earth did he unholster when getting in his car only to re-holster when he got wherever before getting out of the car?Poorly trained or untrained people do the darndest things with their firearms.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

blues
01-08-2018, 06:30 PM
Poorly trained or untrained people do the darndest things with their firearms.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

It was the friggin' aliens, I tell ya!

CS Tactical
01-08-2018, 06:31 PM
If I have to leave my gun in the car, which I only do when going into legally prohibitive places such as the courthouse or the post office, I take the whole holster out of my pants exactly to avoid handling the gun in a manner in which it can be fired.

I have Raven Vanguards for my carry Glocks in the car (plus a gun safe) and my backpack which is lockable.

eb07
01-08-2018, 07:14 PM
Son of Tex Grebner?

Darth_Uno
01-08-2018, 07:16 PM
There is nothing wrong with looking the gun into the holster. If there truly was a problem then it could have been seen and resolved.

Then there is the issue of monkeying with the trigger. If you don't know what you are doing you are asking for trouble.

There’s been a couple times at classes after many reps that I’ve seen my shirt get partway into my holster. Which isn’t a problem...because I always look.

If this wasn’t a finger on the trigger it was something else in the way. Even if that something was a shitty holster that flexed far enough to grab the trigger.

Tamara
01-08-2018, 07:23 PM
As much as it's like chewing on a cat turd to say it, it wasn't the Alien Gear's fault. The shields on the new convertibles have a sheet metal stiffener (which kind of defeats the claimed benefits of a hybrid over a straight-up kydex holster).

Homes either had a finger or some piece of clothing in the trigger guard. Plus he was finger-banging his gun when there was no need to.

littlejerry
01-08-2018, 07:33 PM
I really feel like a SCD + AIWB would prevent this. It's very easy to look the gun into the holster, and the SCD is an added later of security

Drang
01-08-2018, 07:49 PM
Son of Tex Grebner?

No, because Tex Grebner manned up, continued rolling, looked the camera in the eye and said (paraphrasing) "Boy, am I a dumb ass..."

YVK
01-08-2018, 08:18 PM
"I carry a glock 19 with 3.5 Ghost trigger connector and springs".
I have a 3.5 Ghost on my game Glock. Trigger break pressure at the tip is about 3.5 lbs.

Totally holster fault.

45dotACP
01-08-2018, 09:57 PM
I really feel like a SCD + AIWB would prevent this. It's very easy to look the gun into the holster, and the SCD is an added later of securityLolz I will bet you ten PF dollars that this dude wiggles his finger and says "this is my safety" whenever discussion of The Gadget surfaces.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Totem Polar
01-08-2018, 10:03 PM
If I wasn’t lazy, I’d try to find the dude and send him a SCD — or at least offer him one.

No telling how he'd take it, frankly. I'd bet money that it would end up in a drawer, regardless. You'd be better off paying it forward on his behalf and giving one away in the karma section. :D

HCountyGuy
01-08-2018, 10:19 PM
So shooting oneself with a Glock gets a sympathetic SCD?

On an unrelated note where could one get shot with little fear of death or serious long-term injury?

SeriousStudent
01-08-2018, 10:29 PM
So shooting oneself with a Glock gets a sympathetic SCD?

On an unrelated note where could one get shot with little fear of death or serious long-term injury?

I'd say a good Level 1 trauma center, but you need to pick one that takes your insurance plan.

45dotACP
01-08-2018, 10:35 PM
I'd say a good Level 1 trauma center, but you need to pick one that takes your insurance plan.I think he meant where on his body.

I'd shoot off a nipple or something.

Peally
01-08-2018, 10:39 PM
I think he meant where on his body.

I value my nipple. Does trimming your toenail with a graze count?

El Cid
01-08-2018, 11:13 PM
I really feel like a SCD + AIWB would prevent this. It's very easy to look the gun into the holster, and the SCD is an added later of security

First I think his injuries would be much worse if this guy carried appendix. Second he's an OC bubba. AIWB won't give him the deterrent he claims to get for people next to and behind him. Lol!

Totem Polar
01-08-2018, 11:20 PM
I'd say a good Level 1 trauma center, but you need to pick one that takes your insurance plan.

Smooth. Very well played.

olstyn
01-08-2018, 11:48 PM
It might prove imprudent to pit sympathy against laziness in a effort to save $80. :)

Something about this turn of phrase just makes me grin. Well played, sir. :)

Duelist
01-09-2018, 03:10 AM
It might prove imprudent to pit sympathy against laziness in a effort to save $80. :)

Pretty sure my deductible/ER fee is more than the cost of an SCD.

Which I already bought 4 of.

Holmes375
01-09-2018, 04:04 AM

Damn... that made my eyes water.

RolandD
01-09-2018, 05:11 AM
My CW9 stays in its holster for days at time. It only come out for practice and cleaning.

DallasBronco
01-09-2018, 10:45 AM
If I wasn’t lazy, I’d try to find the dude and send him a SCD — or at least offer him one.
Dude has a history of doing stupid shit, injuring himself, and blaming the equipment. I don't think I'd want to take that chance.

GardoneVT
01-09-2018, 10:52 AM
The owner stated he installed a 3.5lb spring and “other parts”. While stock Glock pistols are usually safe , modified kitchen table guns not so much. Once Bubba gets to taking apart trigger components , all bets are off.

As such my theories on this are this; either finger was on bang switch when it shouldn’t have been,or he installed some junk aftermarket parts and the unsafe gun fired itself as a consequence.

modrecoil
01-09-2018, 11:25 AM
Suddenly Tamara's blog post Ugh. (https://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2018/01/ugh.html) makes sense...So much this. Been carrying at position 4 in cars for many years and through multiple vehicle-based handgun courses. In my opinion, there's no need to screw around with your gun in or around the vehicle. Not rocket surgery.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ragnar_d
01-09-2018, 11:48 AM
My CW9 stays in its holster for days at time. It only come out for practice and cleaning.

Same for my G19. If the gun comes off, it comes off holster and all. One of the reasons I like my soft loops.

The owner stated he installed a 3.5lb spring and “other parts”. While stock Glock pistols are usually safe , modified kitchen table guns not so much. Once Bubba gets to taking apart trigger components , all bets are off.

As such my theories on this are this; either finger was on bang switch when it shouldn’t have been,or he installed some junk aftermarket parts and the unsafe gun fired itself as a consequence.
Was kind of thinking the same. I was thinking , "Okay, Ghost 3.5 connector and springs, Alien Gear holster . . . I'd lay money that the internals saw a Dremel to."

Also had similar thoughts on the cause of the bang. Constantly taking the gun in an out of the holster, betting something caught the trigger (be it short, finger, or something else) and dude wasn't "looking the gun into the holster" or was trying to holster in a hurry.

Zincwarrior
01-09-2018, 12:32 PM
The guy who shot himself identifies as a "Open Carry Texas" member... ie: he self identified as a dumbass long before he shot himself in the leg.

You are full of awesome with that post.

SeriousStudent
01-09-2018, 08:29 PM

It was a joke.

I too would probably shoot off someone's nipple for an SCD, but I'd get the Gadget up front.

45dotACP
01-09-2018, 08:42 PM
It was a joke.

I too would probably shoot off someone's nipple for an SCD, but I'd get the Gadget up front.Lol just got the joke now...

Might I suggest a Mr. F. Scaramenga? But he might shoot back.

SeriousStudent
01-09-2018, 09:05 PM
You are creeping me out, now.

I have actually been to "James Bond Island", back when I was stationed in Thailand. Pretty much a tourist trap.

hufnagel
01-10-2018, 07:13 AM
doesn't that describe most of Thailand? at least the populated parts?

SeriousStudent
01-10-2018, 09:43 PM
Go north to the mountains. Once you get outside Chang Mai, it's very pretty country and nice people.

Buy a pig for a thousand baht, have the village roast it, and enjoy life.

Oukaapie
01-10-2018, 11:24 PM
What are these Glock parts that magically make them go boom?

I’ve screwed around with triggers, springs, connectors and mine only seem to fire when I squeeze the trigger. I’ve seen them not go boom and not reset when dicking about but not the other way around.