PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 upgrades

scw2
01-08-2018, 11:46 AM
I tried to search but my google fu is weak this morning. I plan to try out Appleseed this spring with a 10/22 and am looking for recommended upgrades. Other than the appleseed event, this will mostly be used for fun, taking recreational/new shooters to the range, etc.

So far everything is stock and I have extra mags, but that's it. I do have one of the blem Primary Arm microdots that I considered using, but also not sure how to mount. Otherwise, not sure if I should change anything out.

Thanks!

BN
01-08-2018, 11:55 AM
Send your trigger group to Brimstone. https://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/collections/featured-products/products/tier-2-intermediate-ruger-10-22-trigger-work They have done 2 triggers for me. I think you need a sling for Appleseed, but I don't know anything about that. I have found that standard velocity ammo is more accurate for me. I use mostly Wolf Match Target.

gtae07
01-08-2018, 12:33 PM
I last did one ten years ago, so ymmv.

A sling is basically required. They encourage people to use irons if they can, and at one point some M1 style peep sights were available specifically for 10/22s called Tech Sights. But optics are fine as well.

A ggod trigger will be helpful, but also anything you can do to make the rifle more reliable will be to your benefit. I lost a lot of time fussing with jams and stovepipes, to the point I was doing better with a bolt-action.

jeep45238
01-08-2018, 01:09 PM
Tech sights, a usgi sling, and you’re good to go. Switch to a hogue stock to free float the barrel and keep the usgi sling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BN
01-08-2018, 01:13 PM
I replaced the extractor on 2 of mine with an aftermarket one to eliminate failure to eject. I forget if I used a Kidd or Volquertson. Also, the magazine is part of the ejection system on a 10-22.

BN
01-08-2018, 06:35 PM
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Everything you ever needed to know about 10-22's. ;)

fly out
01-08-2018, 07:21 PM
Bill, thanks for that Brimstone link. They're going to get a little business.

BillSWPA
01-08-2018, 08:33 PM
Appleseed sells USGI slings through their website. They are nice shooting slings, and can be used as a hasty sling, or detached from the rear swivel and looped around the support arm.

littlejerry
01-08-2018, 10:22 PM
As others have said, get a sling and Tech Sights. I highly recommend running irons in their class.

I'd skip all other mods until after Appleseed. Make sure you take some cleaning supplies to de gunk the action after the first day, I always saw some semi autos choking after 300 rounds. I've never run 10/22s, so I don't know what the magic combo is, but it seems like some are sensitive and others aren't.

I ran a CZ 452 through a few of their classes and then loaned that rifle to 5 other people for different events. Every single one said they were glad they ran a simple iron sighted rifle. Every one of them also scored "Rifleman" with the bolt action.

Bigghoss
01-09-2018, 05:01 AM
Tech Sights are awesome. #1 upgrade IMO.

Shotgun
01-09-2018, 08:45 AM
Definitely go with the Tech sights, if you can still focus on the front sight. Learning sight alignment and sight picture will mean much more with Tech sights. If your initial reaction to my first sentence is “of course I can focus on the front sight,” you will have a better Appleseed with Tech sights. If you are of an age where focusing on the front sight is becoming an issue, I would go with the microdot sight.

I don’t recall if Tech sights come with a sight tool. You will need a sight tool to adjust your sights.

Buy extra magazines for your 10/22. I do not recall the recommended number, but five or six total should do. You may be dropping these on the ground during various training exercises (especially standing) and they bounce around some. So, it’s a good idea to paint or mark the bottom of your magazines somehow so that you can identify yours.

An aftermarket magazine release is a very desirable 10/22 upgrade for an Appleseed. Do you have to have this upgrade? No, but it would very likely add to your enjoyment of the Appleseed weekend. It’s been too long for me to remember any specific recommendations. Your Google Fu should lead you to many different options that are better than the original.

Try various ammunition in your rifle to see which is the most accurate and which functions best. Take only that chosen ammo to the Appleseed. Don’t be the guy shooting two or three different kinds of ammo just because you grabbed what you had at the house before attending.

As others have said, you need a sling. The one sold by Appleseed is preferred.

Have fun!

jeep45238
01-09-2018, 11:04 AM
I present my Appleseed killer.

Note that I have the National Match type of Tech Sights with elevation adjustment built into the rear sight - after using it for a while, I recommend the base model - it simplifies life a lot. Tech sights double your sight radius on these rifles if my memory serves me right. They also get rid of the horrible rear sight that comes from the factory.

The barrel is a Green Mountain 20" bull barrel - not required by any stretch of the imagination. But with the tech sights, it will drill clothspins holding up targets at 50 yards at will. Sometimes it's fun just to knock your buddy's target to the ground while he's in the middle of a string to get back at him for some comment he made ;) This barrel loves cheap ammo - and the longer length actually slows down the bullet, so the rounds with higher speed spikes tend to come out closer to mean than anything.

The action has an aftermarket hammer and sear in it with thin ground washers to center everything - completely overkill and not needed, but the trigger is pretty nice. The trigger mod I would recommend is drilling/tapping your trigger housing and installing a screw, filed down to length to function as an over travel stop. Once the right length is found, blue locktite it in place to prevent that setting from ever changing.

The bolt is modified by adding a rounded surface at the face that cocks the hammer, instead of having it squared off. This increases bolt velocity and will make it reliable, even with subsonic ammo. I'd recommend giving a light rounding, test firing with subsonic for function, and making the radius larger until it functions with subsonic. This will make sure it funcitons with the cheapest underpowered ammo you can find, in addition to having quiet time with subsonices for giggles. I have a hunch that this will also increase extraction and ejection since the bolt retains it's speed over a longer period of time. If you're running quality ammo don't bother with this step - if you are buying cheap ammo or might have to borrow, consider this mod if reliability is iffy. Definately do it if you're going to shoot subsonic ammo.

The stock allows me to ditch the barrel band (if you prefer to run the stock barrel) and take the tension off the v block that mounts the barrel, while free floating a bull barrel. Ditching the barrel band alone does decrease the group size, and if you want to stay with a factory stock you'll need to drill and install GOOD studs for the sling. Note your body weight will be supported by the sling and the front sling mount when prone, and will be under a lot of force while kneeling with a loop sling. Don't cheap out on the sling studs. It's easy enough to free float the stock barrel by using a socket and sandpaper to the factory stock - so this step is completely optional.

All in all, your bare bones pricing should be basic Tech Sights, a USGI sling, 4 or more magazines. Everything else is reducing your labor on factory parts or allowing you to shoot cheap ammo reliably and accurately (if you have a drill and tap, the cost of a screw)

You can go more, but avoid spending money on optics if you can still see the front sight. That's where a lot of the learning and focus should take place - with irons - for this type of shooting. It will make you markedly better when you switch over to shooting optics.

gtae07
01-09-2018, 11:05 AM
An aftermarket magazine release is a very desirable 10/22 upgrade for an Appleseed. Do you have to have this upgrade? No, but it would very likely add to your enjoyment of the Appleseed weekend. It’s been too long for me to remember any specific recommendations. Your Google Fu should lead you to many different options that are better than the original.

I may be the oddball by preferring the original flush/stock magazine release :p

One other thing, don't let your fingers drift in front of the ejection port. I got a case driven into the end of my left ring finger for that. It kinda hurt...

Det1397
01-09-2018, 11:01 PM
Send your trigger group to Brimstone. https://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/collections/featured-products/products/tier-2-intermediate-ruger-10-22-trigger-work They have done 2 triggers for me...

Brimstone has very reasonable prices for outstanding triggers and customer service.

H&KFanNC
01-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Brimstone has very reasonable prices for outstanding triggers and customer service.

How much better is the Brimstone trigger versus the Ruger BX trigger assembly? Anybody tried/have both?

BN
01-11-2018, 08:54 PM
How much better is the Brimstone trigger versus the Ruger BX trigger assembly? Anybody tried/have both?

Brimstone is better. People buy BX triggers and send them to Brimstone. ;)

H&KFanNC
01-11-2018, 08:59 PM
Brimstone is better. People buy BX triggers and send them to Brimstone. ;)

That is a succinct answer to my question.

Thank You!!

Kennebago
01-14-2018, 05:04 PM
AS guy.

Tech Sights or a scope that will give you 3x or 4x magnification make life way easier. Factory Ruger sights are a nightmare if you need to make adjustments, but I've if that's all you've got it can be done. I've helped more than a few people on the firing line deal with them, and while they are marked for adjustment and can be made to function you can see the enthusiasm fly right out of people while they fiddle with that stupid rear leaf. Or, more commonly, while they sit there and watch as the instructor who noticed they were struggling fiddles with it for them.

For scopes, some kind of parallax adjustment is very helpful at 25 meters. Mueller APVs are a decent low-cost option, for example. I had one for a long time before upgrading to a V16.

Finding a load your rifle likes and cycles reliably is another must. CCI Standard seems to be a good starting point for most people, and during tryouts bear in mind that standard velocity ammo will group better than high velocity. An extractor upgrade may be worth it if your rifle is finicky, but you'd have to explore that for yourself. I will say there is nothing worse than a rifle that decides to puke in the middle of Stage 2.

There are several things that are worth having but not necessary. An auto bolt release is nice, and an extended mag release is very helpful on the transition stages. Flush-fit mags are nice as well, and Ruger's 10-round cubes are just fine since you'll be shooting strings of either 10 rounds straight or 2 & 8 with a reload for the AQT. The 25-rounders people seem to prefer stick out enough to be a hassle when used with the sling, and generally get in the way.

A good trigger is worth it in my opinion, but not everybody thinks that way. I like it when attendees have them because it removes a potential frustration point. The market runs from a few simple and inexpensive drop-in parts (Volquartsen, etc) to a few hundred bucks for self-contained units, so you can go with whatever your preferences are. Yes, Brimstone is good. I actually like Timney's unit best myself because it does the bolt release, mag release, and trigger upgrades in one unit, but it cannot be adjusted for weight (set around 2.5 pounds) and it's expensive. I used one in my loaner rifle until I sold the whole package to another instructor.

As for barrels, it depends on what you like and/or want out of your rifle. Factory Ruger barrels are plenty good enough to score 210. You may need to upgrade if you are trying for high scores.

Other very-nice-to-haves include soft elbow pads (nothing hardshell) and enough magazines to shoot 40 rounds uninterrupted (in case of a rapid-fire AQT).

Don't be afraid of using a bolt gun, if you like that style of rifle and are willing to deal with bolt work at speed. My go-to for this stuff is a CZ 452 and I only started to feel disadvantaged at the 240 mark.

mrozowjj
01-16-2018, 01:19 AM
Tech Sights are awesome. #1 upgrade IMO.

Tech sights are absolutely required if you're using a 10/22. The stock sights blow and on top of that getting the front sight off can be a giant pain in the ass on some 10/22s.

I have a 10/22 that is entirely stock with two exceptions, Tech sights and the BX trigger and I did this with it on Sunday at 25 yards. This is a 5 shot group.

Even the groups that were worse than this weren't bad.

Bigghoss
01-16-2018, 01:48 AM
Tech sights are absolutely required if you're using a 10/22. The stock sights blow and on top of that getting the front sight off can be a giant pain in the ass on some 10/22s.

I have a 10/22 that is entirely stock with two exceptions, Tech sights and the BX trigger and I did this with it on Sunday at 25 yards. This is a 5 shot group.

Even the groups that were worse than this weren't bad.

Mine has the Tech sights and a Voquartzen hammer kit. Trigger pull is lighter but still has takeup and overtravel but it was a lot cheaper than a whole new trigger group. I don't think I've ever put it on paper, I just use it to blast stuff out to about 50 yards.