PDA

View Full Version : Non-Competition Shooter shoots competition

Odin Bravo One
01-29-2012, 07:17 PM
For most of the membership, or at the very least, the members who I have shot with know that I don't shoot competition. I did once, several years ago, and the people participating in that particular match were probably a bad representation of what a typical match looks like. Just the same, it really rubbed me the wrong way, and kept me away for several years.

Since my GF took up shooting about a year ago, she has really been taken by it, and has started shooting matches as often as she can. After bugging me relentlessly since she attended her first match, she finally got me to give in, and we shot our first match together Saturday in MD. I ended up using her M&P, holster, mag pouches, etc., since I didn't bother to bring anything with me for the time I am visiting.

The folks at this match, at least in attitude were polar opposites frmo my first match experience all those years ago. They were very helpful, and friendly. They covered the things they needed to cover with being condescending, or "Holier than Thou", or coming off as know it alls. Some of the folks there could actually shoot too. Sure, there were plenty of the "blame it on the gear" crowd, but they were few and far between, and seemed to be there more for the social aspect than actually shooting or competing.

The match itself could have been run a little more efficiently, and there were a few range constraints that definitely could lead to some bad habits, but the SO's and other shooters were all safe and I found that rather refreshing. They were also very understanding and supportive of us having to swap equipment back and forth, and adjusted our shooting relay so we could both shoot while having to share gear.

Sure, there are some goofy IDPA rules that I'll probably never bother to learn, but I managed to get through without any procedural or "Failure to do right" penalties. Overall, it was a far different experience from my first match experience. Certainly I understand that not every match will be like that, but it did at least change my mind about showing up. And as much as the GF seems to like it, I am sure I will end up back at a match again sooner or later. Maybe next time I'll even bring my own gear.

Al T.
01-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Good stuff. :)

(note to self: need to find a GF like that as Shelly Rae seems to be short changed)

MikeyC
01-29-2012, 09:07 PM
If you were at the match in Arnold I'm fairly familiar with that range. They just changed hands at who runs their matches and they're still feeling their way through the process a little. Glad you enjoyed it.

GJM
01-29-2012, 10:02 PM
The only thing better than a girlfriend who shoots, is a wife who shoots. While I was airlining east today, and hooked up to the web via GoGo, I was getting range reports from my wife back in CO. She was stoked that she was getting .18 and .19 splits with her Glock 34. When I called tonight, she was dry firing her 34, and the .22 magnum revolver as a hand strengthening exercise. Her day was three hikes with our dog, shot 350 rounds of 9, flew a helicopter in he mountains, flew fixed wing, dry fired, and rubbed it in by sending text and email updates as I sat in the back of an Airbus.

beltjones
01-29-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm glad you had a good time. It can be pretty addictive if you have a good experience or two.

I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience your first time out. From a sometimes-match director status I know how difficult it can be to get everything set up, keep things running smoothly, wrap everything up on time, and make sure everyone (especially the people new to the game) has a good time.

I'm not saying by any means that the following describes you at all, but for anyone else thinking of trying out the shooting sports I hope they take the following to heart:

Most of the people at the match show up a few minutes before the start time and expect that because they paid their entry fee, somehow they are "customers" instead of fellow volunteers. They don't help set up or tear down, and you have to beg them to help tape and reset between shooters. That leaves a lot of work for the regulars to do - all while trying to have their best performances. I can't blame some people for being a bit exasperated in the midst of all of that, but unfortunately that exasperation can be a big turn off for new shooters.

So otherwise nice people might be a bit dismissive, and of course there are going to be outright d-bags somewhere in the club. It's inevitable. Most of us who have been around for a while know to avoid the d-bags, and maybe because the d-bags are lonely they tend to go pester the new shooters. The result is yet another turn off for new competitors. Oh, and by the way, everyone is wearing hearing protection so it makes a friendly conversation all the more difficult, and misunderstandings all the more likely.

Then you have the performance aspect. Most new people are there to be safe and have fun, while the more experienced guys are there to put their practice to the test and try to win. Between ROing shooters, helping reset stages, etc, it leaves very little time for me to work on the things that I'm trying to improve at local matches, like stage visualization and mental scripts. I know I've accidentally cut more than a few conversations short when my time to shoot was coming up and I needed to get ready.

And then you have the gear thing. Most people are happy to answer questions about gear, but keep in mind that it's not always easy to find the right division for someone. As much as we would like to flex the rules for the new guys, we know that it's better not to for the integrity of the sport. What happens is that a new guy will have a gun that is competitive in one division, but the rest of their gear necessitates that they shoot in another. We know it's not going to give them their best result, and it's frustrating for us, too. Not to mention the fact that the governing bodies are frequently coming up with new rules that we don't agree with, and when we have to apply these rules to new shooters our frustration can come across as rudeness.

Of course there are also cultural differences between clubs, and a few clubs are just plain ol' full of jerks. I'm sure more than a few promising new shooters have been turned off for good after spending a day at the jerk club.

The saving grace is that the gun games are usually fun enough that they can overcome all of the above, but for guys like the OP, who are already really good shooters with plenty of outlets for their shooting, it's not enough of a draw to keep them coming back.

For anyone else, here is some friendly advice: Contact the match director and ask what time they set up, then get there early and help out. You will find that set-up is the best time to ask all your questions about rules, gear, etc, and the match directors will consider you to be their favorite new competitor at the club. Also be eager to help tape targets and reset steel between shooters. It helps the match run on time and cuts the amount of work everyone else has to do. After the match don't just pack up your gear and split, stick around and help tear down. Not only will you endear yourself to all the regulars, but you will find that a lot of really fun stuff tends to happen after everything is packed up. People go to lunch together, they go have beers, they make plans to watch a football game or UFC match. Oh, and before that they often break out a new toy and let everyone fawn over it (and shoot it). Want to try out that $2000 Benelli before you buy one? Hang out after a pistol match and someone just might whip one out of their trunk. Likewise almost any other blaster you're interested in.

Anyway, to the OP, I'm really glad you gave it another chance. The shooting sports need more good shooters getting involved, and I hope you keep coming back.

jlw
01-29-2012, 10:27 PM
I shot in an IDPA match 7 or 8 years ago and was really turned off by that group. I finally relented and shot another IDPA match in late 2010 with a different group and loved it. Now I shoot IDPA at least once a month.

Odin Bravo One
01-29-2012, 10:59 PM
I don't plan on making it a habit, but I won't just give the GF "the look" when she asks me to go.

MattInFla
01-30-2012, 07:51 AM
Sure, there are some goofy IDPA rules that I'll probably never bother to learn, but I managed to get through without any procedural or "Failure to do right" penalties. Overall, it was a far different experience from my first match experience. Certainly I understand that not every match will be like that, but it did at least change my mind about showing up. And as much as the GF seems to like it, I am sure I will end up back at a match again sooner or later. Maybe next time I'll even bring my own gear.

Careful there. If you keep doing that, you might actually have fun...

jetfire
01-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Good stuff. :)

(note to self: need to find a GF like that as Shelly Rae seems to be short changed)

Good luck. I'm keeping this one. ;-)