PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen knife set

cornstalker
01-07-2018, 11:04 AM
I am looking to buy a new kitchen knife set with cutlery block. I would like to keep it in the $200-$300 range.

Would like to ask y'all for experience-based recommendations on what kind to get.

orionz06
01-07-2018, 12:10 PM
Cutlery blocks suck. I've got no good suggestions at the moment but others may chime in, a good knife set is two knives you pick out to work with and then some other cheapos to be disposable.

cornstalker
01-07-2018, 12:32 PM
Cutlery blocks suck. I've got no good suggestions at the moment but others may chime in, a good knife set is two knives you pick out to work with and then some other cheapos to be disposable.

Why do cutlery blocks suck?

What two knives do you recommend? An 8" chef's knife and a paring knife? Wustof?

orionz06
01-07-2018, 12:37 PM
Mold, moisture, crud, hard on edges.

I'm looking at an 8" or so chef knife and perhaps a 4" as well. Do the rest with the cheapo knife sets with the colored handles. All stored on a magnetic strip (wood covered).

blues
01-07-2018, 12:41 PM
Why do cutlery blocks suck?

What two knives do you recommend? An 8" chef's knife and a paring knife? Wustof?

There are sanitary issues with many cutlery blocks. I keep mine in their boxes in a drawer beneath the counter top.

(I've never owned one so can't speak to the other issues. My "good" kitchen knives are handmade by master smith Murray Carter from back when he was living and working in Japan and they were still affordable.)

David S.
01-07-2018, 12:50 PM
95% of my kitchen duty is done with an 8 or 9" (can't remember) chef's knife and a paring knife. A boning knife would be nice, but I've managed to survive with out it thus far.

I have a 15 piece Kitchen Aid knife block set that someone bought me years ago from Target for right about $100, I'd guess. It's been fine, and it's nice to have a cheap set around for my in-laws to abuse. Santa brought me a 3 piece Shun Premier set (https://www.amazon.com/Shun-TDMS0300-Premier-Starter-3-Piece/dp/B00457LN64/) this year that is very nice. I could have probably done without the utility knife, but that's me.

I also have a Ken Onion WorkSharp (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EJ9CQKA/) and really should round it out with a nice end-grain wood cutting board.

At your price point, I'd probably go with Cutco. Free sharpening FTW.

txdpd
01-07-2018, 02:02 PM
I like Shun for big knives and Global for little knives. How they fit in your hand and you hold the knife will determine how well they work for you.

For general purpose knives I like the Wustoff Pro knives from Williams Sonoma and the Dexter Sanisafe knives that I can get at Ace Mart. They are commercial kitchen grade cutlery. They are not pretty or particulary nice, but they hold an edge well and there's no love lost if one gets damaged. I think they are much better quality than the big box store sets. If you're not sure about what you want Williams Sonoma has a 90 day return policy with receipt.

An angled cutlery block that will take the blades spine down will resolve any issues with damage to the edges. If you're using magnetic strips it's important to twist the knives on and off the strip, and use the spine as a pivot. On the first night, put a box with a towel under a magnetic strip to catch any knives that are just heavy enough to slide off the strip overnight.

Tabasco
01-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Victorinox is recommended by Cooks Illustrated as a good working knife brand that won't break the bank. I like Global for my everyday use. Good hard steel that holds an edge and is not crazy expensive. $120 or so for a chef's knife. I also use a magnetic strip rather than a block.

blues
01-07-2018, 02:12 PM
Old image from prior residence when we had our Carter knives on a magnetic strip:

dsa
01-07-2018, 02:42 PM
http://www.coldsteel.com/kitchen-classics-knife-set.html

I bought this set 12 years ago. My only complaint is that the handle material used at that time has degraded a bit on the 2 most used knives (the chef and paring knives). It appears they have recently changed the handle material, maybe it will hold up better. I didn't start having problems with the handles until I discovered that my wife had been putting them in the dishwasher. For the 1st 10years I had them they were problem free.

txdpd
01-07-2018, 03:28 PM
Old image from prior residence when we had our Carter knives on a magnetic strip:

Those knives should have their own theme song.

https://youtu.be/LR4XNqrqxrU

Frank Ettin
01-07-2018, 03:43 PM
I've been using a Wusthof set for the last ten years or so, and have been very pleased. I also have a Heinkels 9 inch chef knife I've used for over 40 years, but I don't think the Heinkels of today are the same.

...I also have a Ken Onion WorkSharp (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EJ9CQKA/)....So do I, and it's a great tool.

Stephanie B
01-07-2018, 04:02 PM
You probably don't want one of these:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180107/81ad2194c58a2f80a925bd505d51fd32.jpg

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device via Tapatalk

cornstalker
01-07-2018, 04:19 PM
You probably don't want one of these:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180107/81ad2194c58a2f80a925bd505d51fd32.jpg

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device via Tapatalk

As a matter of fact, I do... Lol.

I have a Work Sharp. Love it. I also have 3 Victorinox boning knives and a Victorinox 8" breaking knife that I use for butchering wild game. All stored on a magnetic strip. Good stuff from a utility standpoint.

I guess I was thinking of the block because our steak knives are junk too. Thought a nice matched set would be the way to go. We have always stored ours spine down in the block to avoid edge damage. Hadn't considered the sanitary issues. Is that primarily in humid environments?

Maybe I will grab a couple of Wustof knives for the kitchen and start the quest to find a good steak knife set.

I appreciate the responses.

cornstalker
01-07-2018, 05:20 PM
Check this (https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Classic-8-Inch-Chefs-Knife/dp/B00009ZK08/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515363315&sr=8-3&keywords=8%22+chefs+knife) bad boy out. Seems like a good price.

JclInAtx
01-07-2018, 05:54 PM
We have a set of zwilling j.a. henckels knives that I really like. They have held up pretty well to the abuse that they take (with the exception of the paring knife who's tip was wedged under a jar lid to break the vacuum seal.) They have fairly thin flat blades that I like, but have the traditional handles. My wife disposed of the block that they came in and boy do I miss it.

We have a 2 knife set of Cascade by Ken Onion knives with the ergonomic handles. The blades are much thicker and more curved than the henckels knives and I wasn't really crazy about them at first. Chopping requires more of a rocking motion that took me a while to adapt to.

We also have a 3 knife set of Kyocera ceramic knives. They're great for chopping vegetables with thin sharp blades, and their edges have held up well considering they're often used on plates or even the granite counters.

So I guess my recommendation is be mindful of the thickness and curvature of the blade when you're knife shopping. I'd love some damascus clad blade knives, but can't justify the expense and it would drive me crazy to see them abused as they would be here.

My wife bought me a Victorinox 14" slicing knife with the granton blade as a Christmas present last year. I thought what's the big deal, what does it do that a good 9" chefs knife can't? Slice is the answer. It's fantastic for cutting brisket and boneless hams. Highly recommend one for slicing roasts, briskets, hams, etc.

beenalongtime
01-08-2018, 01:57 AM
You know how people buy guns that are mil spec and then they buy special guns for fancier stuff? Knives are the same kind of thing. For example, the Victorinox that is recommended (around $40 for 8" chef's knife), is a western style, German steel, no bolster, commercial grade knife. Eastern style knives are different (shape as well as use), and in some cases, they may only use one knife (Chinese cleaver). German steel is a spec, that has to both meet a standard and be placed on the knife. (example 50CrMoV15) These are typically stamped knifes and they don't have a bolster. Knives with a bolster are forged, tend to hold their edge longer, but the bolster will get in the way when sharpening. Forged knives are also typically stiffer, as they are thicker, as well as heavier (balance is different).
Knives that can be used in commercial uses, must have NSF certification, which means no more knives with natural wood scales. (most are some sort of plastic)

Point being, you might want to figure out your uses (example of the roast slicer in the above post, if you smoke meat often), budget, sharpening tools available and then look at something like building your own knife block (food grade wood with bamboo skewers to hold the knives, means knives don't have to match, can be changed out and the entire thing can be washed easily).
I sharpen knives for a friends restaurant, and what is used there are inexpensive, Victorinox clones (stamped german steel, but made in a different country, so the metal is the same quality, but sub $10), so when they got some stuff, I ordered myself some, for my limited cooking, and the fact I can easily sharpen them on my Tormek. My next door neighbor is a retired Austrian chef, with a set of forged knives he has that are at least 40 years old. Then I have a Japanese chef friend, with Eastern style as well as some western style knives.
I choose the knives individually, based on needs. Bread knife, chef's knife, paring knife, and then a utility knife. I've picked up other, less used (roast slicer) knives as I have found deals on them.
Sorry for the long winded post.

rob_s
01-08-2018, 06:32 AM
We have several of the Victorinox kitchen knives (a few 8”, a 6”, a paring, and a bread) and a worksharp. Someone insists on putting all of the knives in the dishwasher so cheap knives plus sharpener is the best solution for us.

I am in the market for a ~$150 chefs knife myself and will hide it in the gun safe between uses.

Re: steak knives and serrations...
Steak knives are serrated because serrated doesn’t need sharpening as often and plates are hard on an edge, not because it’s the best for cutting steak.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/how-to-choose-the-best-steak-knives.html

I’m thinking of getting these
https://www.amazon.com/AmazingRibs-com-Professional-Steak-Knives-Set/dp/B0078NUGN8

SD
01-08-2018, 07:57 AM
I have several Global knives they have held up very well and do keep an edge longer then my Tramontina and Mundial kitchen knives. given up sharpening them myself, at least once a year
they end up at a restaurant sharpening operation for a new edge.

SAWBONES
01-08-2018, 09:02 AM
Cutlery blocks are fine, whether hardwood, resin or plastic, as long as the knife is thoroughly clean and dry when (carefully) inserted into the slot.
Wooden cutting boards are OK too, if you keep them clean. (Glass cutting boards can dull cutlery edges.)

The most important things for keeping knives used for food preparation in good shape IME are:

Good quality knives to start with;

Clean and thoroughly dry each knife by hand after use, before putting it away;

Putting each knife in a place that protects its edge;

Steel the edge after every use.

Nephrology
01-08-2018, 09:18 AM
I've been really satisfied with my Victorinox-Forschner kitchen knives. They are very reasonably priced and great entry-level cutlery. Spyderco makes a chef's knife I've been eyeing, but probably won't spring for it for a while.

blues
01-08-2018, 09:23 AM
Steel the edge after every use.

That has been the subject of controversy for at least the last twenty years. I've done it myself, (smooth steel preferred), but oftentimes would opt for a fine or extra fine ceramic in its place.

One school of thought feels that flexing / realigning the edge with the steel weakens (and rounds) it whereas the very minimal touch-up with the ceramic maintains a sharpened edge.

To each his own...I've given up arguing the minutiae which is why my moderating on bladeforums.com is in self-imposed "lapsed" mode. :p

My brother in law, who was a butcher for many years, uses a grooved steel for his knives. I don't tell him what to do either. ;)

blues
01-08-2018, 09:24 AM
I've been really satisfied with my Victorinox-Forschner kitchen knives. They are very reasonably priced and great entry-level cutlery. Spyderco makes a chef's knife I've been eyeing, but probably won't spring for it for a while.

I'm a big fan of Victorinox but I have found in one or more instances a bad heat treat on one or two of their inexpensive paring knives. That said, I've heard nothing but good about their better kitchen knives.

JohnO
01-08-2018, 10:07 AM
I purchased a set from Costco. I believe the brand was Ergo Chef. There was a reason I didn't put a lot of thought or effort into the purchase. That's because I knew that certain people in my house would not use them correctly. No matter how much effort I put into educating against cutting on ceramic plates, metal pans & stone surfaces or throwing in the dishwasher it happens over and over. They think I'm a knife Nazi. The missing chip on the edge of the chef knife proves otherwise. And yes we have a very nice assortment of cutting boards available for use. So keep in mind who the end users will be and how the knives will get treated before you dump a lot of money into something that will get the respect of a garden tool.

OnionsAndDragons
01-10-2018, 04:26 AM
If you just need workhorses that produce good results, I've had good experience with Mercer cutlery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fixer
01-10-2018, 06:55 AM
My wife and I heavily used a set of Calphalon branded knives for over ten years. They held a blade well and stood up to us throwing them into the dishwasher clanking around with other silverware.

We recently replaced this set with a JA Henckels set. However it didn't come with a 5" Santoku. We bought a Wustoff 5" Santoku and have been super impressed with it.

On the extreme budget end we were surprised how well some Farberware knives held up. They were similar to the Calphalon.

We tried some Chicago cutlery that were garbage after a few uses and would not hold a blade. Practically disposable knives.

Poconnor
01-10-2018, 07:39 AM
I bought a JA Henkel international classic three piece starter set off amazon a few years ago. It was $99 - a 4”, 6” and an 8” . I bought a in drawer storage block and a steel rod at the same time. I hand wash them and so far they have worked great. Initially they were to hold me over until I got a “good” set; but I never felt the need to upgrade.

SteveB
01-10-2018, 08:52 AM
While I didn't buy a set, I have an assortment of Wusthoff Trident kitchen knives. I use an 8" chef's knife for practically everything except small-blade tasks, and this Ikon model has all the features: easy to get an edge with a steel, comfortable grip, great balance. I liked it so much, I ended up adding a variety of different blades over time.

JM Campbell
01-10-2018, 09:46 AM

I just bought that chefs knife. It is extremely sharp and cuts/slices my bbq very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erik
01-10-2018, 10:14 PM
While I didn't buy a set, I have an assortment of Wusthoff Trident kitchen knives. I use an 8" chef's knife for practically everything except small-blade tasks, and this Ikon model has all the features: easy to get an edge with a steel, comfortable grip, great balance. I liked it so much, I ended up adding a variety of different blades over time.

I got a 3 piece Ikon set (chef, carving and paring knives) and love them for all the reasons listed. I shopped around a little at the time and found them on new on ebay for much less than retail.

45dotACP
01-10-2018, 10:31 PM
I've heard good stuff about victorinox chef knives...sounds to me like the Glock 19 of kitchen knives.

I'm currently running the equivalent of the Hi-point. 15 dollar Chicago Cutlery knives from Walmart, a chef's knife and a paring knife...I sharpen them about every month to practice my whetstone technique (and also because they lose their edge easily) and I find that for assembly of a cookbook recipe, they're not unusable.

I'm no chef, so a very nice knife isn't totally necessary, and I keep my knives sharp enough to pop hairs with so it probably doesn't matter much, but I'm following this thread with interest.

And eyeing a victorinox chef's knife.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OlongJohnson
01-10-2018, 10:57 PM
After basic blade shape and the ability to hold an edge, balance is a primary important characteristic for me. I like them to balance at my index finger. When they do that, they just float in your hand, and using them is a pleasure. This will, of course, vary by make and model for individual knives.

Clusterfrack
01-11-2018, 12:03 PM
Any thoughts about the best steel for kitchen knives? I noticed that the Chris Reeve is one of only a few S35 chefs knives.
http://chrisreeve.com/phone/sikayo.html

Most seem to be made of very ordinary steels.

mtnbkr
01-11-2018, 12:23 PM
My "good" kitchen knives are handmade by master smith Murray Carter from back when he was living and working in Japan and they were still affordable.)

This would be the late 90s or early 2000s? I remember looking at his knives and thinking I should get one. They were quite affordable.

Most of my non-table kitchen knives are Victorinox-Forschner. They do the job, but I've found that I really only use the 6" chef's knife these days (I have 8", 6", paring, and a boning knife in the set). I prefer my Victorinox Fibrox paring knife for small jobs. If were going to do it again, I'd get a nice 6" chef's knife with some weight, and a couple of the Fibrox knives (paring, boning). I just don't have much use for other designs. My "cleaver" is one my grandfather made from a bush axe. It's crude and brutal as hell, but great for chopping bbq on the heavy oak chopping block he made.

As for steeling, I use a grooved steel.

Chris

mtnbkr
01-11-2018, 12:26 PM
Any thoughts about the best steel for kitchen knives? I noticed that the Chris Reeve is one of only a few S35 chefs knives.

I've come to prefer good old carbon steel. The old school Chicago Cutlery knives my parents and grandparents had all my life are scary sharp and slice like a light saber. The only downside is they'll rust if you don't keep them clean and dry. It's not as hard as it sounds though. My parents have knives that are 40+ years old with no rust and no special care other than cleaning and drying.

Chris

blues
01-11-2018, 01:31 PM
This would be the late 90s or early 2000s? I remember looking at his knives and thinking I should get one. They were quite affordable.
Chris

That's about right, Chris. My other "claim to fame" regarding Murray is that I was the one who convinced him to make a neck knife. He resisted at first and then fell in love with the idea.

I think I have the second one he made...(he got the first). I also have one gussied up one in mastodon ivory and damascus which he was submitting for judgment when he went for his master smith stamp at the Blade Show.

cornstalker
01-12-2018, 10:26 PM
I've come to prefer good old carbon steel. The old school Chicago Cutlery knives my parents and grandparents had all my life are scary sharp and slice like a light saber. The only downside is they'll rust if you don't keep them clean and dry. It's not as hard as it sounds though. My parents have knives that are 40+ years old with no rust and no special care other than cleaning and drying.

Chris

Plus they look damn sexy once they take on a nice patina. :)

mtnbkr
01-13-2018, 09:22 AM
Plus they look damn sexy once they take on a nice patina. :)

Growing up, I thought kitchen knives always had a dark color to them. :)

Chris

blues
01-13-2018, 10:07 AM
Growing up, I thought kitchen knives always had a dark color to them. :)

Chris

And had a funny taste to the tongue.

Shotgun
01-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Consumer Reports did one of their studies on kitchen knives several years ago. The Victorinox Chef’s knife ended up at the top of the list. I ended up buying one, and it is, by far, the most used kitchen knife I have. It feels great in the hand. There are already four pages of opinions here, and I won’t talk more on knives so as to not dilute this one point: if you get a Victorinox Chef’s knife, you will be very pleased with your purchase and it won’t break the bank.

rob_s
01-13-2018, 11:14 AM
What's the groupthink on these guys?

https://www.misen.co/

rob_s
01-13-2018, 11:19 AM
This is another one that shows up literally on almost every single list

Mac Knife Professional Hollow Edge Chef's Knife, 8-Inch (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KXBSRQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000KXBSRQ&linkCode=as2&tag=kitchenknifeg-20)

OnionsAndDragons
01-13-2018, 01:11 PM

I really like AEB-L. It takes a very nice edge and has good stainless characteristics.

A quality carbon steel is never a bad choice for those that will care for a blade. I suggest forcing a patina onto one as soon as possible, to decrease the likelihood of real rusting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

orionz06
01-13-2018, 01:14 PM
Gonna buy one of these (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000638D32/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3PWKSQ23ZM63V&colid=WYRW70LG6TXM&psc=1) and tell the wife it was expensive and we need to take care of it. It'll be a test to see how it gets treated.

blues
01-13-2018, 01:22 PM
Gonna buy one of these (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000638D32/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3PWKSQ23ZM63V&colid=WYRW70LG6TXM&psc=1) and tell the wife it was expensive and we need to take care of it. It'll be a test to see how it gets treated.

My wife doesn't use any of the good knives. She likes using the ones I tell her she can do whatever she wants with. (And of course I get to do the maintenance in any case.)

beenalongtime
01-13-2018, 01:48 PM

Since I am not a borg collective, I can only speak for myself. I think you would be over paying, just for what are the three most commonly used knives. Those are forged knives, that look very similar to what I could buy at both the grocery store, as well as the dollar store or most retailers. The steel in most knives is pretty common and is simply a number of blends.

JclInAtx
01-13-2018, 02:41 PM
After my wife got rid of our block she relented and got a couple of Kapoosh hex-connects. I don't really see how they're an improvement over a traditional block when it comes to sanitation except they're plastic not wood. Also they're not angled so they're awkward on the counter under cabinets (which is almost all our counter space.) One benefit is that you're not locked into a certain size blade. They're pretty inexpensive but you can only get 2-3 knives in each. I think I'd rather have a magnetic bar holder.

https://www.amazon.com/Kapoosh-Hex-Connex-Universal-Caddy-Tangerine/dp/B01CT861SA/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1515871447&sr=8-14&keywords=kapoosh

scw2
01-13-2018, 04:46 PM

I heard that at launch they were great but quality has not held up afterwards.

t1tan
01-13-2018, 04:59 PM
www.chefknivestogo.com I've purchased a few from them over the years, good customer service and selection, also their collaboration knives with Tojiro are very good for the price.

There are a lot of knives I want for different purposes, honesuki, deba, etc, but all can be done with a couple chef/gyuto, paring/petty and a good serrated/bread, a ceramic hone(learn how to use it) and a couple stones are nice to add later on. I store my knives in their boxes in a drawer, I don't want the edge exposed or rubbing on anything(like a block)

Something huge as far as knife care, a good cutting board/block, something maple or otherwise, preferably end grain, avoid plastic, bamboo, soft woods, etc.

https://i.imgur.com/3D9x89d.jpg

UNM1136
01-14-2018, 01:42 PM
Advice that I have followed since cooking school that mirrors Alton's advice. Avoid sets, and consider quality. In avoiding sets, if you went to the tire store and bought a set of tires that you wanted/needed, and the kind salesman threw in a free set of tires for a 1990 Yugoslavian tricycle, and you could just buy the ones you want or need for less, is the "bonus" of any value? That is how I look at sets. I can spend less money buying what I wnat individually and have less clutter.

Considering quality...It should surprise no one that as a 1911 carrier transitioning to an RMR'd glock that I am a gadget guy. Going through cooking school I bought the best I could afford for the required knife list. 10" Wustoff classic chef's knife 4" Henkels parer, 7" Wustoff boning knife and an expensive Daniel Bouloud offset bread knife. I graduated cooking school almost 13 years ago, and still frequently cater. My knives are not babied, and frequently take trips through the dishwasher (a huge no no). I have three children that can destroy a driveway with a rubber mallet. This perfect storm for knives means that I have seen the good and the bad, and am looking at prematurely replacing my blades. High quality is not always a good thing.

Chef's knife: happy with my purchase. If you sharpen it properly you will take away some of the prettiness, because you will be grinding the bolster. Current offering is till going strong, but in the last couple of months the middle daughter used it and now it has a curious bend at the tip. Considering how much this gets used, I will consider only expensive, high quality blade for replacement in the 10 inch range.

Paring knife: ok quality, has developed a wave in the cutting edge near the tip, handle not as comfortable as I would like, but works. Strongly considering replacing at the restaurant supply shop with a mass produced Dexter Russel or Chicago Culery parer for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost. While these are not glamorous or cool guy, they are intended for commercial kitchens to be used and abused, and not break the bank when someone walks off with them. Many of my poorer classmates had these, gotta get weed money somewhere, and I did not see much practical difference, other than more frequent sharpening.

Boning knife: (pet peeve: we don't debone meat, we bone it out, or bone it) thin blade profile made this knife supersharp, but don't think it was worth the cash. Cooks Illustrated has test kitchens where they uniformly test kitchen gadgets to determine the best in the category. Cheap restarant supply boning knives took the top billing at 1/3 to 1/4 the cash outlay. For as often as I use a boning knife, 17 bucks is fine for a top preformer that can be replaced easily.

Bread knife. Sandwich craft is pretty high on my list and I love offset knives. The expensive bread knife, other than the offset, has been a disappointment from day one. It had special, inverted serrations that allowed it to be steeled like a normal knife, and retain the characteristics of a serrated knife. While it could be steeled, the serrations were inconvienient and less effective than standard serrations. This will be replaced with an 8" offset bread knife from the restaurant supply place.

My next granton edged slicer will be a nice one with matching fork for table carving.

My knives are stored on a magnetic strip.

When buying a honing steel, avoid the diamond coated ones; they sharpen rather than hone, but do it so poorly you end up with small shelves or shoulders that have to be ground away during actual sharpening, and you are freehanding, so variable angles become a bit of an issue. I also don't like ceramic in this role, but it is better than diamond. An actual honing steel is much more forgiving of angles, as it is just pushing a folded or deformed edge back. The steel should be as long or longer than your longest blade, and the flatish or eliptically shaped ones are way more expensive, but I like them better than round. Also, decon your steel, which can be a source of cross contamination. Mine goes through the dishwaser, which again is frowned upon, but works for me.

If you don't have a decent sharpening setup, find a local shop or mobile service that will slackbelt sharpen your blades and get them done once a year or so. I have a Ken Onion Worksharp, which seems in my limited (2 years) experience almost as good as a pro with a slackbelt. In the past I have used a Spyderco Sharpmaker with some success, but it is slow for reprofiling blades. I hear good things about waterstones, but have not yet taken the plunge. Locally I have found a shop that does slackbelt sharpening as well as a mobile truck that hangs out at a local gunshop on Saturdays, and I think they both charge about $2-3 per inch.

pat

Crashpad
01-14-2018, 07:10 PM
We use a mix of Victorinox, Dexter Russell and Old Hickory knives.
The Old Hickory stuff is not current production. I doubt any of it is less than thirty years old so I have no idea what their current stuff is like.

I like simple steels and have no need for a "nice" kitchen knife so I just go with inexpensive tools that work well.

My wife and kid get the most use out of the below two knives, bought at Publix.

https://www.swissknifeshop.com/victorinox-classic-collection-two-3-25-inch-paring-knives?msclkid=87a38ff5eefc1a1a0116d5ae01695e9e&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI)%20Shopping%20-%20Victorinox%20Cutlery&utm_term=1100507579513&utm_content=Victorinox%20Cutlery
https://www.swissknifeshop.com/victorinox-classic-collection-4-25-inch-serrated-utility-knife

Cool Breeze
01-14-2018, 07:48 PM
I haven't had time to read this entire thing so forgive me if I am redundant. Most sets in that price range are complete garbage. You can figure this out especially if they don't list the type of steel they use which is usually the equivalent of 440A or the like and incredibly soft and won't hold an edge. Unless you do some serious butchering.... You really only need a 6 or 8 inch chefs knife or the like and a pairing knife. My steel preference is usually some type of vg-10. Shun is an excellent example. Any type of knife marketed as forever sharp is a lie. There is a great polymer knife block made by AG Russell that can be taken apart and cleaned if you need storage vs. A drawer.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Abbotm2
01-14-2018, 10:30 PM
You only need one knife- a chefs knife. Get a 240mm gyuto. Japanese knives are the best on the planet. Do not get German steel. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/gyutos.html

I graduated culinary school and worked in many kitchens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob_s
03-20-2018, 03:02 PM
This is another one that shows up literally on almost every single list

Mac Knife Professional Hollow Edge Chef's Knife, 8-Inch (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KXBSRQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000KXBSRQ&linkCode=as2&tag=kitchenknifeg-20)

Well, my one victorinox that I kept aside to keep out of the dishwasher has now been mixed in and forever lost as I can't distiguish it from the other two.

So I'm back in the hunt for a somewhat fancy chef's knife, for no other reason than it needs to be mildly expensive and look different in order to keep it out of the dishwasher.

Thinking I'll go with the above if there's no reason not to.

Jaywalker
03-20-2018, 09:19 PM
I would also avoid sets and buy one or two good knives. A gyuto (or a santoku, our choice) and a petty, then add a $7 Victorinox paring knife. The most important thing with good knives is a good cutting surface - a cutting board. Avoid the plastic cutting boards and buy a good end-grain maple board - it's better on the edge and safer from bacteria. I agree you'll get good advice from Japanese Knife Imports.

Then you can start obsessing about types of Japanese waters tones for sharpening.

beenalongtime
03-20-2018, 10:26 PM
Well, my one victorinox that I kept aside to keep out of the dishwasher has now been mixed in and forever lost as I can't distiguish it from the other two.

So I'm back in the hunt for a somewhat fancy chef's knife, for no other reason than it needs to be mildly expensive and look different in order to keep it out of the dishwasher.

Thinking I'll go with the above if there's no reason not to.

Describe the handle and were you happy with the knife?
If you were happy with it and your handles are the same, why spend more when there are other handle options:
B000S0WE3S
B0019WURVU
B00092PMI4
B000Q9C576
B005LRYJGI

They are made with different colored handles for commercial use (no cross contamination). The Rosewood handles are not commercial use approved, and the granton edge one may be different enough to stand out.
Hope that helps.

LockedBreech
03-20-2018, 11:18 PM
I got a Wusthof Classic block as a gift in 2011. Has been very good. At this point the block is a mix of Wusthof, Mercer, and Victorinox. Very happy with all those brands. Mercer is probably the most impressive in terms of quality to dollar but does seem to be wearing quicker than the Wusthof. Victorinox blades are wonderful, truly great for the price, but I dislike the cheap-feeling and light fibrox handle.

I would go cheaper than Wusthof with my own money, but as a gift they've been great. They get some (admittedly fair) hate for being overpriced but are good knives.

Frank R
03-20-2018, 11:55 PM
I can recommend Victorinox knives.

rob_s
03-21-2018, 05:54 AM
Describe the handle and were you happy with the knife?
If you were happy with it and your handles are the same, why spend more when there are other handle options:
B000S0WE3S - red handle (https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Chefs-Blade-Fibrox-Handle/dp/B000S0WE3S)
B0019WURVU - blue handle (https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cutlery-8-Inch-Fibrox-Handle/dp/B0019WURVU)
B00092PMI4 - yellow handle (https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Chefs-Blade-Fibrox-Handle/dp/B0178DI4EA)
B000Q9C576 - rosewood handle (https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Chefs-Blade-Rosewood-Handle/dp/B000Q9C576)
B005LRYJGI - granton blade (https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Classic-Chefs-Granton/dp/B005LRYJGI)

They are made with different colored handles for commercial use (no cross contamination). The Rosewood handles are not commercial use approved, and the granton edge one may be different enough to stand out.
Hope that helps.

Interesting idea. Thanks for the suggestion. I do have a couple of other reasons for not going this route. First, if it’s not known to have been expensive then it won’t get respected. Second, my only real complaint with the Victorinox I have is that they are very light, and I’d like something that feels a little heavier and more substantial.

beenalongtime
03-21-2018, 09:00 AM
Then you will probably want to be looking at forged knives, rather then stamped, which these are. If your cooking for 10 hours a day, that is when you appreciate the lightness, and have heavier knives you use for specific tasks.
There are inexpensive brands, with the same "German steel" (standard mix by German rules/law), as well as expensive brands. Not sure the average person could tell a Wusthof, from a Forged Update International. Henckels get thought of as "high end" knives by the average home cooks I know, and as others, they run the gamut in cost.

Super77
05-31-2018, 10:29 PM
North Arm knives are my new favorite, they blow my Shun, Victorinox, and other random knives out of the water.

rob_s
12-30-2019, 07:16 AM
after prepping a brisket yesterday for sous vide, and dealing with our collection of dishwasher knives once again, I'm back on the hunt for "daddy knives" that I know will be usable when I want them 4 times a year.

Still considering this guy
Mac Knife MTH-80 Professional Hollow Edge Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Silver
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N5H2XU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ADSC7EIWQ1RB8&psc=1)

and possibly this
MAC BNS-60 - Chef Series 6" Boning Fillet Knife Curved/Silver Molybdenum steel
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MFRYYSK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A28WO57GOZBO4I&psc=1)

and one of these
Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Slicing Knife, Granton Blade, 12-Inch
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CFDB9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1)

don't know that I *need* a paring knife, and I'm concerned it's more likely to get appropriated, but also might add this
Mac Knife Professional Paring/Utility Knife, 5-Inch
(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N5FDQI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_vPEcEbTCB8WEE)

UNM1136
12-30-2019, 10:43 AM
I just picked up a granton slicer with a matching fork, an 9" offset bread knife, and a chinese cleaver. I hit a sale at one of the local restaurant supply store and got the first three for about 80 bucks, and the cleaver was $18.95 at a local asian market. I am digging the cleaver for veg prep.

pat

AKDoug
12-30-2019, 03:16 PM
after prepping a brisket yesterday for sous vide, and dealing with our collection of dishwasher knives once again, I'm back on the hunt for "daddy knives" that I know will be usable when I want them 4 times a year.

Still considering this guy
Mac Knife MTH-80 Professional Hollow Edge Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Silver
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N5H2XU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ADSC7EIWQ1RB8&psc=1)

and possibly this
MAC BNS-60 - Chef Series 6" Boning Fillet Knife Curved/Silver Molybdenum steel
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MFRYYSK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A28WO57GOZBO4I&psc=1)

and one of these
Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Slicing Knife, Granton Blade, 12-Inch
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CFDB9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1)

don't know that I *need* a paring knife, and I'm concerned it's more likely to get appropriated, but also might add this
Mac Knife Professional Paring/Utility Knife, 5-Inch
(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N5FDQI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_vPEcEbTCB8WEE)

I bought a Worksharp sharpener and returned all my wife's neglected F Dicks and Henckels knives back to razor sharp. I have tried several sharpeners and honestly, this one works the best for me. Once they were sharp I lost interest in spending money on new knives. Of course, the F Dicks and Henckels are pretty o.k. knives to start with.

My favorite knife for trimming briskets is a Victorinox filet knife, and slicing them with the pro slicing knife you listed.

randyho
12-30-2019, 03:49 PM
Saw the Dexters mentioned earlier. I'm very happy with their ability to hold an edge and they stay put in my hand. #glockLike (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=glockLike)

MolonLabe416
12-30-2019, 04:32 PM
I’m currently playing with this. Other than being extremely sharp, too early for a comprehensive review. Not elegant, except perhaps in a form follows function sort of way, but an interesting concept.

https://www.havalon.com/havalon-talon-2

UNM1136
12-30-2019, 04:39 PM
I’m currently playing with this. Other than being extremely sharp, too early for a comprehensive review. Not elegant, except perhaps in a form follows function sort of way, but an interesting concept.

https://www.havalon.com/havalon-talon-2

I butchered my last mule deer with one....currently has a gut hook in it and is riding in my blowout kit.

ETA: oops, nope I used the piranta.

pat

rob_s
12-30-2019, 09:30 PM
I bought a Worksharp sharpener and returned all my wife's neglected F Dicks and Henckels knives back to razor sharp. I have tried several sharpeners and honestly, this one works the best for me. Once they were sharp I lost interest in spending money on new knives. Of course, the F Dicks and Henckels are pretty o.k. knives to start with.

That’s what I’ve been doing and I’m sick of it. Because the main cook in the house refuses to wash them by hand, they go in the dishwasher daily and are never sharp when I want to use them. When I want to finally cook, I want to cook, not go out in the shop and sharpen all the knives first.

BigD
12-31-2019, 04:37 AM
That’s what I’ve been doing and I’m sick of it. Because the main cook in the house refuses to wash them by hand, they go in the dishwasher daily and are never sharp when I want to use them. When I want to finally cook, I want to cook, not go out in the shop and sharpen all the knives first.

Putting knives in the the dishwasher isn't what is making them dull.

Just buy yourself a decent knife and ask your long-suffering wife not to use it so it will be ready once a quarter when you deem it time to grace the kitchen with your presence.

In the meantime, be a gentleman and sharpen your wife's knives every once in a while.

rob_s
12-31-2019, 05:54 AM
Putting knives in the the dishwasher isn't what is making them dull.
it's just part of what's not helping. They are thrown in the sink, left to sit with muck on them, thrown into the dishwasher, then tossed in a drawer to bang around with each other.

Just buy yourself a decent knife and ask your long-suffering wife not to use it so it will be ready once a quarter when you deem it time to grace the kitchen with your presence.
Yep, that's the plan.

In the meantime, be a gentleman and sharpen your wife's knives every once in a while.
they get sharpened all the time. I'm just sick of sharpening them to only have them abused. which isn't going to make me stop, it just makes me want a set of knives that are "mine" that I know will be sharp when I want to use them, and that I'm willing to hand-wash and take proper care of to make that happen.

Lex Luthier
12-31-2019, 09:54 PM
it's just part of what's not helping. They are thrown in the sink, left to sit with muck on them, thrown into the dishwasher, then tossed in a drawer to bang around with each other.

Yep, that's the plan.

they get sharpened all the time. I'm just sick of sharpening them to only have them abused. which isn't going to make me stop, it just makes me want a set of knives that are "mine" that I know will be sharp when I want to use them, and that I'm willing to hand-wash and take proper care of to make that happen.

If you're going to 1) hand-wash them, and 2) segregate them for your own exclusive use, why not go for carbon steel? There are fantastic options out there, for often much less money. I still use my dad's c 1950s Sword and Steel brand mid-grade Solingen knives, and they keep an edge beautifully when hand-washed.

Here's an interesting write-up by the folks from Cooks Illustrated:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1558-carbon-steel-knives

rob_s
05-12-2020, 01:24 PM
I think this is the most recent thread on the topic of Kitchen Knives. My wife recently got me an 18" round Boos Block cutting board, which seems to me to necessiatate legit knives, and I got the green light to pick up the knives I want, partly because they are on 20-25% off.

Here's what I'm planning on ordering later today:
Wusthof 4572-7/20 CLASSIC Cook's Knife, 8-Inch Hollow Ground Blade, Black (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007IS8K4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ADSC7EIWQ1RB8&psc=1)
Wusthof WU4531 CLASSIC Ham Slicer, Hollow Edge, One Size, Black, Stainless Steel (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005NANT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1)
Wusthof Classic 4 1/2-Inch Utility Knife 4066-7/12 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005MEGK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ADSC7EIWQ1RB8&psc=1)
Wusthof Classic 6” Curved Boning Knife 4610-7/16 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O98HHAA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ADSC7EIWQ1RB8&psc=1)

t1tan
05-12-2020, 01:35 PM
I think this is the most recent thread on the topic of Kitchen Knives. My wife recently got me an 18" round Boos Block cutting board, which seems to me to necessiatate legit knives, and I got the green light to pick up the knives I want, partly because they are on 20-25% off.

Here's what I'm planning on ordering later today:
Wusthof 4572-7/20 CLASSIC Cook's Knife, 8-Inch Hollow Ground Blade, Black (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007IS8K4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ADSC7EIWQ1RB8&psc=1)
Wusthof WU4531 CLASSIC Ham Slicer, Hollow Edge, One Size, Black, Stainless Steel (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005NANT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1)
Wusthof Classic 4 1/2-Inch Utility Knife 4066-7/12 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005MEGK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ADSC7EIWQ1RB8&psc=1)
Wusthof Classic 6” Curved Boning Knife 4610-7/16 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O98HHAA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ADSC7EIWQ1RB8&psc=1)

Make sure to get some oil or whatever treatment you prefer. I use the Boos mystery oil on my Wood Welded block and it keeps the board in great condition. Use it on my rolling pins and pizza peel as well.

Parf
05-12-2020, 04:34 PM
I have lots of knives. Expensive knives. Cheap knives. These handle most of my needs. I'd like a decent petty with a western handle, a steel, and a granton slicer, but these inexpensive knives are what I end up using at home and work.

https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/russell-10-cooks-knife%2c-2-ct.product.11979492.html (https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/russell-10-cooks-knife%2c-2-ct.product.11979492.html)
https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/russell-9-offset-slicing-knife%2c-2-ct.product.11979493.html
https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/tramontina-proline-porterhouse-steak-knife%2c-stainless-steel%2c-8-ct.product.100312935.html

Super77
05-13-2020, 10:17 AM
Wustoff uses a steel that’s easy to sharpen and won’t chip but the tradeoff is it’s a little soft and seem to be a little thick. They’re great knives that will serve you well for a lifetime. I’ve also had really good results with the North Arm kitchen knives in S35VN steel. They’re insanely thin and hold an edge for a long time but are still easy to sharpen and don’t chip like the cheap VG10 a lot of my Japanese knives use (looking at you, Shun). Another killer option the Bark River chef knives. FWIW I really prefer an 8” Chef knife over 10”.

rob_s
05-13-2020, 12:43 PM
Wustoff uses a steel that’s easy to sharpen and won’t chip but the tradeoff is it’s a little soft and seem to be a little thick. They’re great knives that will serve you well for a lifetime.

I had heard that. Basically they are heavy and soft but sharp and high quality. I'm pretty good with the tradeoff I think. $400 later I guess we'll find out! ;)

Wyoming Shooter
12-01-2020, 07:27 PM
I'm in the market for some decent quality kitchen knives. This is a very informative thread. Has anything changed since the last posts? Thanks very much. ELN

UNM1136
12-03-2020, 08:44 AM
Saving pennies for Spyderco's offerings....

pat

rob_s
12-03-2020, 09:40 AM
I'm in the market for some decent quality kitchen knives. This is a very informative thread. Has anything changed since the last posts? Thanks very much. ELN

I can tell you that I am super happy with my purchase so far, and that they have all successfully remained OUT of the dishwasher to date!

45dotACP
12-28-2020, 10:02 PM
Welp... Christmas bonus from work has me dropping some coin on a slightly better blade than my usual cheapass Chicago cutlery.

https://www.amazon.com/Yaxell-Mon-Chefs-Knife-Stainless/dp/B0785FMH37

Not that I mind sharpening every month, but it'll be interesting to see how a higher quality blade changes my cooking experience.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

45dotACP
12-29-2020, 05:53 PM
Just arrived today. VG-10 Steel, and the sharpness of this knife is just unbelievable. The handle is where it differentiates from the Chicago Cutlery blade though.

It's way more comfortable, the knife feels more lively in the hand. I'm a big fan so far. Gonna have to cook something good tomorrow. Maybe make some fajitas so I have an excuse to slice a bunch of veggies and meats...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201229/e0ecc247e26115b9e5312657f351bb07.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

johnson
09-12-2021, 11:19 PM
This seems like the appropriate thread to post this.

I'm no pro cook (far from it) but have had the MAC Professional MTH-80 for the past 10 years. I've had to get it repaired a couple times because of other people using it to cut into bones and chipping the edge but other than that I couldn't have been happier with the purchase. Recently I got the bug again and after reading about Japanese-style knives I ended up ordering a Takamura R2 Gyuto 210mm (red handle) and Yokishane Amekiri #2 Gyuto 240mm.

Compared to the MAC, the Takamura uses a powdered steel and is extremely sharp out of the box. People put it in the 'laser' category and it goes through things like onions and potatoes like nobodies business. The spine (and edge) is very thin so I'm working on bettering my thrust/push cutting technique instead of 'rocking' like traditional western knives.

The Yokishane Amekiri is more of a medium weight knife and I got it because I wanted to try out a Wa-Handle style (traditional Japanese), 240mm length, and carbon steel. It has a White #2 carbon core and stainless cladding and already has some patina from the reaction when cutting acidic foods. It's a nice feeling knife and I'm still getting used to the length and weight.

I've been using a standard 12x18 poly cutting board because it's easy to toss in the dishwasher but have a Hasegawa soft rubber cutting board being delivered this week to try out.

https://mtckitchen.com/hasegawa-wood-core-soft-cutting-board/

I currently hand sharpen the MAC with Shapton Glass 500 and Shapton Pro 2000 stones and am exploring options for a little finer grit.

https://imgur.com/8p0iPOZ.jpg

rob_s
12-28-2021, 10:14 AM
this seems to be the "kitchen knife" thread that's been most recently responded-to, so...

I'm intrigued by some of the hybrid knife designs I've seen. Anyone using this, or something like it? Thoughts?

This is the one I saw today that prompted this post.

https://store.177milkstreet.com/products/milk-street-kitchin-to-knife

https://youtu.be/K66qUbjcWKc

Tabasco
12-28-2021, 12:30 PM
I have never had any bad advice from either Cooks Illustrated or Milk Street regarding cooking or cooking tools.

Duces Tecum
12-28-2021, 01:15 PM
(My "good" kitchen knives are handmade by master smith Murray Carter from back when he was
living and working in Japan and they were still affordable.)

Momentary sidebar: blues I have two outdoor knives from Murray Carter, one a 4" neck knife and the other a 9" general purpose. The GP knife lives in a "Southern Comfort" IWB kydex sheath by Mike Sastre
(RiverCitySheathes.com).

Over time I've had many Randall Knives and multiple Bagwells, but none compare with the things Murray Carter turns out. And until you posted just now, I'd forgotten I had them. Thank you.

blues
12-28-2021, 01:20 PM
Momentary sidebar: blues I have two outdoor knives from Murray Carter, one a 4" neck knife and the other a 9" general purpose. The GP knife lives in a "Southern Comfort" IWB kydex sheath by Mike Sastre
(RiverCitySheathes.com).

Over time I've had many Randall Knives and multiple Bagwells, but none compare with the things Murray Carter turns out. And until you posted just now, I'd forgotten I had them. Thank you.

You're welcome.

I was the one who originally talked Murray into making neck knives. I think I have the second one. The first he kept for himself. (I also have a fancier one he was going to submit when he was testing for master smith.)

I used to have a field knife from him, but I ended up selling it.

beenalongtime
12-29-2021, 08:38 AM
this seems to be the "kitchen knife" thread that's been most recently responded-to, so...

I'm intrigued by some of the hybrid knife designs I've seen. Anyone using this, or something like it? Thoughts?

This is the one I saw today that prompted this post.

https://store.177milkstreet.com/products/milk-street-kitchin-to-knife

I have used a Nakiri knife and bought one for my late boss/chef friend. Found them locally, at a damaged freight store at $10 each. (we liked to try inexpensive knives before something expensive)
He absolutely loved it, when doing a lot of vegetables. If only doing a couple of things, when cooking, he tended to stay with the chefs knife. After a year, he lost it (think someone wondered off with it)
I did an experiment where I used a Chinese cleaver for a week and while decently balanced, for the amount of cooking I do, the chefs knife tends to be the go to one.
Just for FYI, the inexpensive one I found, is not much more then that on Amazon. Mercer Millennia Nakiri.

rob_s
11-08-2022, 06:49 AM
I realize I’m totally falling victim to marketing, and what I have now is probably better, and there are also probably better for the same price or less, and I hardly ever actually cook anymore so what do I even need with a decent knife let alone and expensive one…?

but I don’t care. I have the wants!

https://www.benchmade.com/3-piece-set

https://www.benchmade.com/station-knife

Mercworx
11-08-2022, 09:46 AM
There are sanitary issues with many cutlery blocks. I keep mine in their boxes in a drawer beneath the counter top.

(I've never owned one so can't speak to the other issues. My "good" kitchen knives are handmade by master smith Murray Carter from back when he was living and working in Japan and they were still affordable.)

Never even considered this and now it makes perfect sense as you all mention it. Wonder if I can purchase a couple magnetic strips for the larger blades and just store the steak knifes in the drawer. Toss the block?

blues
11-08-2022, 10:15 AM
Never even considered this and now it makes perfect sense as you all mention it. Wonder if I can purchase a couple magnetic strips for the larger blades and just store the steak knifes in the drawer. Toss the block?

They're widely available...and not expensive as I recall.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Knife-Strips/b?ie=UTF8&node=13840861