PDA

View Full Version : What are your base-line minimal gun needs?

Totem Polar
01-05-2018, 06:34 PM
I’m genuinely curious as to what y’all’s are, and why; each person here will likely fall into several different broad categories based on activity.

For example, I’ll start. I’m somewhere between an enthusiast and outright gun nerd. I do not have firearms as part of my work tool kit—in fact, I’m often in NPEs—and I’m no longer a youth going hunting along the snake river breaks. My activities in recent years consist of getting to the range at least once a week or so to punch paper, a little dry-fire, maybe a member day shoot or GSSF 1-2 times a year if I’m lucky, and roughly one highly reputable class/event a year (PeP, ECQC, et al). That’s it, aside from basic HD, CCW on my own time, and occasionally instructing a new shooter.

I’ve come to the conclusion that my bare minumum is probably a G26, with a bunch of accessories.

That’s it. I could (and obviously do) stretch the point and make a case for "a G26, plus a spare," or perhaps even "a G26/G19 and a 642," but that’s about it for a true lower limit. I could do almost everything I typically do with just my 26 and my 642, save for the loaner gun thing for visiting shooter friends and new/beginning shooters.

Pretty sobering thought, in all.

That’s obviously not at all how I roll at this stage of my life, but I’ll confess that I don’t need, for instance, a toggle-action .22, a century-old lever gun, a smattering of K-frames, wartime PPks or 34s or P-38s, or single action Rugers.

Clearly, competitors, LEOs, outdoorsmen (and women), instructors, gadget inventors... all of you have different minimums. I’d be interested in hearing what they are.

Thanks for mulling it over, and telling me what and why, for your lifestyle.

Casual Friday
01-05-2018, 06:42 PM
P2000 for carry, another for training, USP 45(for da bears and da tweakers in da woods), primary AR15 and training AR15, and an AK.

No LE or military experience. Just a life long gun nerd that grew up watching Miami Vice and the A-Team.

I'm rarely in NPE's, I'm self employed so carrying all day everyday is much simpler now than when I was a 9-5'er.

Lester Polfus
01-05-2018, 07:01 PM
A pistol small enough to be concealed, but big enough to shoot barrier blind ammo from Doc's list. This needs to work on black bears, cougars, and assholes. In my arsenal, this would be a Glock 19. Another option would be to hang on to just the Glock 20 with a .40 S&W conversion barrel

A multipurpose rifle big enough to shoot Elk, black bears, black tail deer and assholes. I've got two that fit the bill: A Ruger M77mk2 .308 cut to 18", with a 1.75 to 6x and modified to take AICS mags; and a Marlin 336 with XS sights. I can give you all the intellectual reasons why the .308 is the better choice, but if it came down to it, I'd probably keep the 336.

A .22 rifle for small game. I've really got an excess of .22 rifles in this household, but if I were to keep one, I'd keep my wife's Ruger 10/22 compact with the 16" barrel. We have some 25 round magazines for it, so in addition to small game, it's a viable asshole repellent.

Since I've got a reloading press, and the ability to make small game loads for the .30-30, I could argue that the .22 isn't strictly necessary. It isn't legal to hunt small game here with a center fire rifle in most circumstances, but if I'm down to two firearms and depending on small game to maintain our caloric intake, that may not be something I worry about overly much.

blues
01-05-2018, 07:02 PM
Need? Very simple: I could get through the rest of my days with a G26 and some standard and extended mags. Period.

(Same can be said of the G19 with it being just a bit less concealable in certain garb but quicker to put on target, by and large.)

My S&W 642 and 686, Remington 870 and AR are simply to round out the models or type of firearms I had while working LE due to both familiarity and niche.

Absent the need for a long gun, I think the G26 offers the best bang for the buck between capacity, concealment and capability...and since I'm not a collector, it is all the gun I "need". (But I carry a 19 most times nowadays, clothing and environment permitting.)

ETA: Another (major) point in its favor is that the G26 is the perfect LEOSA firearm for visiting states with magazine capacity limitations.

nate89
01-05-2018, 07:08 PM
I honestly would say I could get by with only handguns right now, as much as I enjoy shooting rifles. I am not that into hunting, and I already compete with the guns I carry. I have been deep into the 226/229 family for some years, so I would say I would be comfortable with an identical set of 226s, and have one as a match gun/back-up gun. I also have a Glock 43 for when the 226 is a bit big for the place/clothes/etc. If I was LE I would want an AR, and maybe a back-up, or at least a spare bolt and a few parts. Makes me look at what I have and realize I should probably get rid of some stuff.

Cypher
01-05-2018, 07:18 PM
I could get by with my Glock 19.

Gadfly
01-05-2018, 07:19 PM
Like most, I find my 26 can do 90% of what I need to do. If I can only have one handgun? May have to go up to 19, but the 26 conceals and carries easier for me.

Add a 16” AR, a .308 bolt gun, 12 gauge 870, 10/22.... I would be covered for ANY conceivable hunt/Fight/exist scenario...

I obviously own more, but they are mostly fluff and fun guns, not NEED guns...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rich@CCC
01-05-2018, 07:32 PM
This may sound a bit extreme but if you think about it, I'd bet most will at least see my line of thought. Whether most think it necessary or not is another discussion.

My base line fire arms needs are as follows.

For ever person in the house old enough to safely use one:
A hand gun in either 9mm or .45acp
A .22lr long gun
A 12ga or 20ga shot gun
A .223 or .300blk carbine or rifle

Add to that at least 2 hunting caliber rifles (.30-30, .308, .30-06, etc) and at least 1 reliable long range rifle, i.e. one with quality long range glass.

The Long range stick can double as one of the hunting rifles if necessary. The handguns can be EDC as well.

I keep this stock and ammo to supply them all on hand including hardware and ammo for my kids and their families who are not domiciled with me as they will, more than likely end up at our place if these somewhat extreme preparations are ever truly needed.

A little more down to earth and everyday; A 9mm pistol, a .45acp pistol a 12 ga shotty , an AR and a .308 bolt gun at the barest minimum.

BehindBlueI's
01-05-2018, 07:33 PM
If I had a "one gun to do everything" gun, it'd probably be a Sig P220.

Stephanie B
01-05-2018, 08:26 PM
For a handgun, a S&W Model 10/15/64 or, if I wanted the capability to use .357s, a Model 66 or a Ruger Security Six. 3" or 4" barrel. Possibly a 3" Model 60, if I'm mostly willing to pass on magnums.

For a rifle, either a .30-30 or a .30-06.

12 or 20 gauge shotgun.

Riots and insurrections might change things, I guess.

Nothing fancy, ammo is likely available everywhere in the U.S, and no quibbling about capacity limits.

Totem Polar
01-05-2018, 08:29 PM
If I had a "one gun to do everything" gun, it'd probably be a Sig P220.

But is that your baseline minimum? Since you’re active LE, I’m having a hard time believing that there isn’t, at the least, a bug and a patrol rifle in your minimum specs. But I don’t know.

At any rate, my intention isn’t to start another "if you could only have one" thread; rather, it’s a "what’s your minimum for your activities and lifestyle." Mine could conceivably be just one, but only if I give up on the idea of shooting with other people.

BN
01-05-2018, 08:46 PM
Baseline minimum is a Glock 26 plus various other self defense type guns plus enough other guns to at least be able to shoot any gun sport around. I'm still working on the last. :)

BehindBlueI's
01-05-2018, 08:56 PM
But is that your baseline minimum? Since you’re active LE, I’m having a hard time believing that there isn’t, at the least, a bug and a patrol rifle in your minimum specs. But I don’t know.

At any rate, my intention isn’t to start another "if you could only have one" thread; rather, it’s a "what’s your minimum for your activities and lifestyle." Mine could conceivably be just one, but only if I give up on the idea of shooting with other people.

Well, when we first hit the street it was just a handgun, or a handgun and shotgun. So, "minimum" is a handgun.

If the question is what's the minimum to be comfortable, what I roll with daily is:
Glock 17M
Colt musket (M16A1 with some newer furniture, RDS on a gooseneck, and light)
An LCR (coat pocket gun in the winter, summer I'll probably go back to the Shield)
Scattergun Technologies 870.

If I had to ditch one, it'd be the 870.

PNWTO
01-05-2018, 08:57 PM
Washed-up Marine checking in, I could happily meet my personal and outdoorsy needs with:

1. G43

2. G19

3. G20

4. Mossberg 590A1

5. 20ga Over/Under

6. Bolt gun in 300 WM

7. 10/22

If I had cheat codes activated #'s 1, 2, and 3 would be replaced by matching WC CQBs and a classy ass .44 mag.

olstyn
01-05-2018, 09:18 PM
In terms of keeping my current use going, I need at least what I've got, at least in terms of pistols - one to carry and one to compete/practice with, which happen to be different sizes in the same "family," so they can act as backups/small parts donors for each other if required. Being brutally honest with myself, it would be technically possible to go back down to one and get by with it, but I strongly prefer to keep the high round count on one gun and carry the other, so my finances would have to be incredibly dire to consider doing that.

rjohnson4405
01-05-2018, 09:30 PM
I'd need more hunting guns than defensive. Two colt ARs and two Glocks could get me through defensive.

But i need a shotgun to bird hunt and a rifle for big game. 22 AR is nice to shrink practice ammo costs.

FOG
01-05-2018, 10:22 PM
Bare minimum, in order: full size 9mm for carry and 2 gun competitions, AR15 for 2 gun competitions and SHTF scenarios, 30.06 or .308 for deer hunting. Closely behind, a shotgun would be nice for bird hunting.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

45dotACP
01-05-2018, 10:30 PM
I shoot competitively and carry concealed. Baseline, I could lose everything except my favorite 1911 and not be too broken up about it. I'd have to go back to single stack, but baseline my needs are pretty simple.

Of course, my Glocks are preferred for competition, carry, and training at the moment, but if we're talking about the bare minimum, there is only one gun in my entire collection I'll never part with for anything. And it's that 1911 of mine. I'd need a spare though.

RevolverRob
01-05-2018, 10:32 PM
Intriguing question.

When I moved out of my parents house to go to college, I took one handgun, a Colt 1911. And that was the gun I had, shot, and carried.

When I moved to Chicago and was first figuring out legality issues, I took one handgun, a Smith 642. Airweight J-frames are ultra-concealable, decently powerful and accurate. Also, by this time I'd sold my 1911s and moved on to 3rd Gen Smiths...

Between the 1911 and the J-Frame, I've never encountered a scenario that I couldn't adequately conceal a handgun and/or be confident in my abilities in.

So, my bare-minimum either a 1911 OR a J-Frame, my baseline minimum to cover all of my needs a 1911 and a J-Frame. Or put another way, a full size gun and a sub-compact gun of some variation. An HK P30 and a P30SK will work as an alternative, for instance. Lately, I've even considered going 1911 and Colt Mustang XSP (especially now that HST comes in .380).

___

RJ
01-05-2018, 10:33 PM
I can (and do) get by with a Glock 19.

It’s small enough to conceal, holds 15+1 of Doc approved ammo, reliable, and accurate.

Plus, magazines are $20 or so, and parts are available at 7-11. [emoji4]

I changed out the plastic sights, and put in a grip plug. Just waiting on my SCD to be able to thumb the slide holstering.

ragnar_d
01-05-2018, 10:33 PM
Like most, I find my 26 can do 90% of what I need to do. If I can only have one handgun? May have to go up to 19, but the 26 conceals and carries easier for me.

Add a 16” AR, a .308 bolt gun, 12 gauge 870, 10/22.... I would be covered for ANY conceivable hunt/Fight/exist scenario...

I obviously own more, but they are mostly fluff and fun guns, not NEED guns...

I've been thinking about this a good bit recently. Yeah, ive got a wish list about 30 handguns, 20 rifles, 10 shotguns, and Odin knows how much NFA stuff deep but it's all mostly wants and reference guns. Even now I've got a lot of inventory sitting around that doesn't get used, especially since moving down to South FL . . . not a whole lot of opportunities to shoot. I could probably get by through the rest of my days with the same thing Gadfly mentioned, just swap the 26 for a 19 and I could probably even skip the 308 bolt gun for my applications.

If I were to slim my safe down, it would probably be:
G19
16"AR with a LPV
18" 870 or 590 with choke tubes
10/22, 795, or American Rimfire

And a backup of each. Maybe a J-Frame and bolt gun/lever gun, but not much more.
I

If I want to go truly minimalist, I'd ditch the ARs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RevolverRob
01-05-2018, 10:41 PM
I will say regarding long guns, I've lived most of my early adult life sans a long-gun nearby. There are a number of them in the safe now, but early on, I didn't bother. I grew up shooting long guns, but it wasn't until a guy threatened my wife with violence that a long gun came home to stay. I prefer the 9mm PCC, but my wife prefers a shotgun. The 50-state legal scatter gun (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?27706-50-State-Friendly-HD-Long-Gun-for-Travel&p=689488&viewfull=1#post689488) is currently keeping her warm at night in the corner of the room, behind the door...She is very happy with it.

littlejerry
01-05-2018, 10:47 PM
I could condense everything down to:

Glock 19- for carry, HD, and USPSA
AR15- hunting(SE whitetails), gun games, long range plinking
Bolt action 22(CZ452) -hunting( small game), general plinking

I don't need anything else, but I certainly enjoy it.

JAD
01-05-2018, 10:52 PM
I have no real need for any of my guns except a LWC. I could live with a 17; I’d complain in summer, but I’d live.

Leroy Suggs
01-05-2018, 11:14 PM
My minium for my way of life. What I actually use.

G17
SP-101 3in.
18 in. gauge
Model 94
Scoped. 22 rifle.

holmes168
01-05-2018, 11:40 PM
My minimum would be a 9mm pistol (my flavor is Beretta) and a long rifle of 5.56mm (LE6920).
Everything else is icing on the cake.

BillSWPA
01-05-2018, 11:50 PM
Years ago on another forum, Southnarc proposed the essential 3 gun battery: a full size handgun (in his case a commander size 1911), a concealed carry gun (in his case a J frame), and a tiny pocket gun (in his case a Seecamp .32). I think there is a lot of merit to this.

I can do most of what needs to be done with a Glock 26. Second priority would be a Kel-Ted P3AT. Third would be a Glock 19 - completing the 3 gun battery.

Lately my most diverse need is for guns to use in training my kids. This means .22 rifles and handguns in various action types, as well as a variety of other things in other calibers for them to experience. I am currently looking into guns that will fit them early but continue to be useful as they grow.

My home defense plan currently relies on handguns, but that is likely to change at some point.

Duelist
01-06-2018, 12:28 AM
Been thinking about this myself.

CCW pistol. For about 10 years, all I had was a CZ75BSA and a 642. If you don't have options, you don't get vapor lock deciding what to carry, you just put your gun on your belt or in your pocket and go. Mostly carried the 642, hiking in the mountains I'd add the CZ. Switched to 3913 several years ago for most stuff except running and the gym. Today, I'm mostly carrying a G26, and find it easy to carry all the time, easier to use as a shooter than the 642, but some carrying situations, the 642 is easier, or a P32 is even easier. But not as effective if needed. Hence, vapor lock/OCD. G42 is easier to shoot than 642, more accurate and such than P32.

Tiny gun - P32 or G42.

Full size. Beretta 92a1 right now. HD, classes, and match shooting. Rare days of big gun carrying.

Rifle, hunting. Deer mostly, elk occasionally. .243 Savage bolt gives me up to 400 yards range on deer, ~250 on elk, but I want a .270 or something if I decide to get serious about elk again. Might give my daughter the .243 and get the .270 for myself and use it for everything. Some of my friends like long range deer hunting - like 600-1000+yards on deerwith specialized rifles and cartridges. Doesn't excite me.

Rifle, defense. AR15, 5.56x45. Current upper is 16", A2 receiver. Contemplating swapping that for a 20" flattop and LPV. Also have a 6.8 built for my son as a hunting rifle, but it's probably going down the road if he doesn't decide to keep it.

Shotguns. I like bird hunting, so I need at least a two barrel 20g. I have one of those, and an Ithaca 37 Skeet in 12g.

.22s. I started with them, and like them, and shoot them with family. Ruger MKII pistol, Ruger Single Six, Ruger 10/22, Savage heavy barrel bolt w/accutrigger, Marlin 915YN. But do I need them?

Minimum:
G26 or 3913 +accessories for most carry and match shooting and classes, P32 or G42 for backup or deep concealment, .243, shotgun, one of the .22s. Where I live and what I do, I could get by with that and not really have to give up any activities. Swap the semiauto pistols for the S&W 13-3 3" and 642, and not much would be different.

OlongJohnson
01-06-2018, 12:30 AM
Bare minimum goes back to just one, when you press it far enough. For me, that would have to be a USP Compact. Heck, Phil Shoemaker used a 3953 to defend against a brown bear, although he is probably in the top few in the world (at the level where comparing the actual numbers ceases to matter) of people who've killed those things, so he knows where to put the lead. It does lead to a good argument in favor of just being an artist with one gun.

Once you separate carrying from a house gun, I'd add a USP9 with Jet Funnel and 18-round mags.

One can build a Venn diagram where either 10-round mags for the 9 or adding a USP45 with ten-round mags would make sense. In the latter case, take a jurisdiction with restricted mags where I can possess but not carry, a firearm turns into a house/hotel protector. Bulk and weight aren't issues, and since you are limited in the quantity loaded, there's nothing wrong with a big pistol with a big hole in the end that big bullets come out of.

I can't get past the round count issue when the goal is to cover all defensive scenarios, but there's a case to be made that a three-inch K-frame and loads ranging from wadcutters to full-house magnums would cover all of the above quite effectively.

The decision whether to go shotgun or rifle for the first long gun would depend on whether I was in a short-range or long-range environment: urban/woods or open plains and mountains.

Shotties provide versatility through ammo selection, and are highly effective in a fight. Have a 26-inch barrel for birds. There's a consensus that semi-autos tend to have stoppages less frequently than operator errors cause problems with pump guns. I'd probably go with a Benelli, as there are 922(r) compliance parts that make it possible to be fully legal with a magazine extension.

Adding one rifle for hunting anything in 48 states, .308 and go kill stuff. I like a Tikka T3 Lite in stainless.

That's my real minimum. Minimum+ adds some rimfires; for me, a pistol means a Buck Mark of some flavor and I'd probably pick a CZ rifle of some kind.

Minimum-deluxe would add an AR with a Wylde chamber and low-power optic.

Next step would probably be a bolt gun in .223 and reloading equipment. You can do light loads down to .22WMR power levels, and standard loads with the right bullets and placement will take whitetails all day. There are certainly parts of the country where this would reasonably come before a .308, depending on game laws.

Random thoughts on the general topic of "how many guns should we have," but not specifically answering the OP question...

The more finely you divide the mission, the more permutations of the gear train can be justified. This leads to two problems:
1. R-squared; as you move coverage of "needs" farther from the center, the amount of material required to cover it increases exponentially. Stuff gets expensive quickly.
2. There is logically a point where gear trains being too finely divided leads to training with each piece of equipment being spread thin enough that the potential effectiveness of more-focused gear is outweighed by less-focused training. You might even end up with a lot of stuff sitting in the back of the safe and never getting shot. It seems that this thread is in a way meant to reduce this point to its essence - asking what is the minimum spread on gear so that training effectiveness can be maximized.

Most of us here kinda like guns intrinsically, for one reason or another. We probably have some that are focused on defense against evildoers, some that are for sport (with crossover of those categories), some that we just like because they are cool (to us), some that we bought because they were cool or interesting at one point (or we just wanted to see what that was all about and the price looked like a good opportunity to satisfy curiosity) but that would be on the short list to go away if we started downsizing, and some that we enjoy shooting and training with to broaden our experience and skill base, but that are not central to a utility plan. And there are some that aren't the most useful tools, but if things got really tight, a two-gun picture would come down to that one and the "one gun," because reasons.

A lot of people find that, at the end of the day, they tend to shoot most guns about the same once their training stabilizes with a given gun. Some people find that they shoot some guns particularly better than the rest. Some people just want to explore as much of what the world of guns has to offer as their resources will reasonably allow, and enjoy the process of discovery - you'll never know if you don't try it, and the best that you know is the best that you've trained with. That discovery process can be as much about themselves as about the hardware. There's nothing wrong with just learning about and appreciating a variety of hardware, but be on guard against a dilettante approach to hardware leading to a dilettante level of skills. It's good to really train seriously with anything that you actually train with.

Some people have fewer numbers of guns at any one time, but are frequently churning. Commit to a model, get everything for that. Then trade that in to try something else. Then trade in that something else to go back to the first thing. Their total sunk assets in the guns they have right now may be limited, but they probably eat a lot of losses on all the transactions, especially buying the same models of Glock three or four times. Others may take the approach of never getting rid of anything, though they may try many new things. They can end up with a lot of assets in the safe, but they can always go back and try that old thing they used to shoot, compare it to the newer stuff, without having taken a loss on it or having to suck up the cost of a new purchase. Especially when buying accessories or having work done, the losses can be substantial. It's possible that what didn't or did work well at one point may work better or worse as one's shooting skill and technique progress.

There's lots of good advice out there that's based on an assumption that the objectives of the person receiving the advice are the same as those of the person giving it. The information and advice on this site definitely trends toward the objectives of the people who started the site. They are excellent objectives, but they are not the only legitimate objectives for firearm activities. They are the objectives that are encouraged around here, though.

Someone around here once said that new guns are an expensive, time-consuming pain in the ass.

Ultimately, what's "right" for any individual is a personal decision, depending on one's situation and objectives.

ReverendMeat
01-06-2018, 01:00 AM
If I had to pare down from what I've got, everything but suppressed buckmark, beretta 92, and the AUG can go. There's a couple revolvers that I won't ever get rid of but that's not so much a "need" thing.

Ed L
01-06-2018, 01:02 AM
Minimum would be:

1. Kahr PM-9 for suit or dress pants pocket carry.

2. S&W 640 for non work pants pocket carry when I don't have to worry about the same people who see me every day noticing a bit of a bulge. The Kahr may be smaller and flatter, but the J-frame is easier to get a grip on in the poclet and the rounded shape of the backstrap makes it slide out of the pocket easier.

3. An HK VP9SK as a concealled carry gun.

4. An HK VP9 as a full-sized service type gun.

5. A Colt 6920 with Aimpoint as a longarm.

6. An AK and/or a Remington 870--just because--but these are optional. The above list of numbers 1-5 could see to all of my needs. Back-up versions of 1-5 would be nice, or at least back up versions of some of them.

But I do not live in this type of world as evidenced by my latest purchase:

As from:

rcbusmc24
01-06-2018, 01:28 AM
I just brought home gun number 128 tonight, but I could get by with one of my Glock 19's and a 642 j frame in my jacket pocket while Im in the states. When I'm deployed the USMC covers my gun requirements..... I'd like to say that my multiple AR's will be good for domestic strife but knowing my luck I will be stuck as the Officer of the Day the day shit hits the fan.....

FNFAN
01-06-2018, 01:37 AM
My minimums are easy:

1. Springfield Pro with a tweaked Champion as back-up.
2. Winchester M12 nickel steel bird gun with a tweaked riot M12 for back-up.
3. A stock feed Browning takedown .22 and a Browning lever (BL-22) back-up.

Everything else is side dishes and gravy. Realistically, the first items on each line would do me fine.

Totem Polar
01-06-2018, 02:22 AM
Great responses so far, all around, thanks for that.

When I moved out of my parents house to go to college, I took one handgun, a Colt 1911. And that was the gun I had, shot, and carried.

In college, mine was a 4" S&W NY-1 DAO model 64. I shot bowling pins and Paladin matches with it, hiked in the woods with it, shot top of class at LFI with it, and relied on it for peace of mind around the various rentals myself and eventual Mrs. Sidheshooter flopped in. I never suffered for only having one gun; one shoebox with a bunch of HKS speedloaders and a few holsters; one set of patches and a cleaning rod to buy; just one type of ammo to stock (cor-bon "RMC" +p+ LSWCHP for everything but plinking and classes).

Things were simpler, and I was probably a better shooter.

Wondering Beard
01-06-2018, 06:31 AM
I'm not sure needs is the right word here. If I don't have a minimum of *insert type and number here* guns then ....? I die the moment I step into the street? I can't feed myself and my family? My needs, or anyone's for that matter, are about survival and remaining alive (something not terribly complicated to do in nowadays US compared to, let's say, the Congo). That can be done without guns.

I'd say this is more about wants; What's the minimum I want for my life. In my case, I just always want more. :-)

BWT
01-06-2018, 08:10 AM
You know just last night I was thinking along these lines in some respects.

I’m thinking a Glock 26 and Glock 34; one for carry and one for comp. I have a 19 that I haven’t shot or touched in years that may be traded for a Gen 5 34 to make that dream happen.

My 12.5” SBR.

Maybe a 12 Gauge Mossberg and that’s it.

God Bless,

Brandon

Irelander
01-06-2018, 08:46 AM
My bare minimum needs for EDC self dense would be a compact hi-cap 9mm and a deep carry gun in no less than 38spl caliber. I currently have these covered with a G19 (could get away with a G26) and 642. After being a member on PF for several years I have come to the realization that I need duplicates for practice and training. So since practice and training are a necessity, my bare minimum needs to include a 2nd G19/G26 and 642 or similar revolver. As soon as I can scrape the $$ together to fund these I should be set with my bare minimum needs for SD guns.

OlongJohnson
01-06-2018, 11:15 AM
Thought about this more last night. It seems there isn't a lot of work outside fighting a war that couldn't be done by a well-armed person in possession of a 3-inch K frame, a good 870 with a few barrels and accessories, and a good rifle in their choice of .308 or .30-06.

Darth_Uno
01-06-2018, 11:27 AM
If I based my need on what I actually use regularly I’d have to trim the collection to just a 19, and I could stretch it to include a 43. There’s a handful of times I have to dress up and the 43 makes more sense there. Even then I could dress around a 19 but I’m a slim guy and loose dress clothes look sloppy. I want to hate the 43 but it just carries so well.

You could argue that everyone should have a rifle for defense of home and country, but...to this point I’d have been completely fine if I never owned one. Course that’s like a fire extinguisher, you don’t need it until you really need it.

Guinnessman
01-06-2018, 11:39 AM
My minimalist set up would be this:

1. P30 for night stand/carry

2. P30sk for carry

3. Colt 6920 with an Aimpoint Pro.

My carbines rarely get shot, and I really do not need all the fancy attachments on an AR. Give me an Aimpoint and a white light. A Magpul handguard would work fine for my needs. The KISS carbine is fine by me.

WobblyPossum
01-06-2018, 11:48 AM
My employer provides me with a handgun to carry at work so off duty I could probably get by with a G26 for all my handgunning needs.

I also need a carbine for work and defensive use. My PD has a few pool 1033 M16s converted to semi auto only but they aren’t conducive to mounting optics and I’m just not too crazy about pool guns. I have no idea who zeroed them or where they would hit with the duty ammo. I’ll take my chances with a personally owned rifle I’ve set up and zeroed for me.

Once I get past the bare minimum, I want a spare handgun and a spare carbine. Because I’m not stuck with having to choose the bare minimum, I mostly carry a G19 and the G26 primarily handles pocket carry duty while I lounge around the house and the occasionally trip into a ban state.

octagon
01-06-2018, 11:51 AM
I bought my bare minimum gun 27 years ago when I was a broke part time student full time minimum wage employee right out of the Army. Glock 23. With some additional parts it works for home defense,concealed carry and open duty carry and I have carried it in each capacity. Add in 9mm conversion barrel and mags and 357 Sig conversion barrel plus AA .22 slide and mag and it fires 9,357Sig,40 and .22 reliably with broad ammo selection based on what I may have to shoot and what is available. It can work for competition stock or with a few small parts changes in other classes OK and in a pinch could be used to hunt game not overly large or far. It is far from perfect for many roles but offers enough for most to be my one gun choice if I had to choose just 1.

Oukaapie
01-06-2018, 12:10 PM
As a gun slag it’s likely to change an hour from now but if I had to dump my gear, this is what would be left.

Me
Glock 17
PX4CC
BCM AR with LPV
LWRC PSD 6.8 with LAW folder and aimpoint micro

Wife
VP9 RMR/VP9SK
BCM 11.5

Kids
Henry Small Game
Beretta 87

If I can really only have two then Glock 17 and baby BCM AR.

theJanitor
01-06-2018, 12:21 PM
1911 and 642. I've pretty much pared down my pile to this already. I live in the city, in a concrete box 20 floors up, and haven't hunted in 15 years. My gun needs are virtually non-existent

JodyH
01-07-2018, 12:04 AM
Any flavor of H&K SK (P30, P2K, VP) in 9mm, they're all good.
Steyr Scout .308

If I lost all my guns tomorrow and had to start over from zero, those would be my first two purchases and those two would cover all my gun needs.

cornstalker
01-07-2018, 12:49 AM
At any rate, my intention isn’t to start another "if you could only have one" thread; rather, it’s a "what’s your minimum for your activities and lifestyle."

Minimum for my activities and lifestyle.

Pistols: 2 HK P2000's. One to train with, one to carry. 1 P2000SK for NPE's and deep concealment and concealment when biking, running, etc. J-frame for a pocket gun.

Shotgun: Winchester Super X2 for hunting from upland to turkey and waterfowl. Beretta 1301 Tactical or Rem 870 for home defense.

Rifles: 16" AR with 1x-4X optic for defense. One lightweight AR for predator hunting. Two bolt rifles. One lightweight for 0-600 yards (.270 WSM, Leupold 3-15 VX5HD) One "heavy" for out to 1200 yards (Custom Remington/Shilen 7mm STW with Burris XTR)

Rimfire: Ruger 10/22 with custom barrel and 4-12 scope. This one is for nothing but fun. One Marlin 60 for a field gun. One 22 pistol for a trainer. (SR22)

MSparks909
01-07-2018, 12:57 AM
True minimum needs? Carry gun, go-to rifle (currently an AR-15) and a shotgun. But that’s boring.

Shotgun
01-07-2018, 01:28 AM
Fun thread. Sidheshooter requests minimal gun “needs.” In the original post, he discusses a little of his own hobby shooting as well as requesting the guns we use to fit our lifestyle. To me, that means firearms I use on a regular basis and not something I would need for the zombie apocalypse or a distopian future. With that loose definition of “needed” firearms, the first would be my Beretta 390 Super Sporting for clay target shooting. This target gun has had just about everything done to a shotgun that can be done: forcing cones lengthened, barrel cryoed, trigger work, custom fitting, etc. Now, Beretta sells shotguns new with much of that work already done. I use this firearm far and away more than everything else I have combined. The next two needed lifestyle guns are older than many of our forum members. I use a Browning Citori, very well worn now after over three decades of use, to hunt pheasant, dove, and quail. Every man needs a deer rifle in my opinion, and mine is a Remington Mountain Rifle in .270. I was a Jack O’Connor fan. This rifle is 30 years old give or take a year or two. I had to replace the trigger on this rifle several years ago. I have taken deer, hogs, coyotes, various varmints, and at least one rattlesnake with the .270. Finally, I have a Walther P99AS. This is a pistol forum after all. So, two shotguns, one rifle, and one pistol for minimal lifestyle needs.

DocGKR
01-07-2018, 03:39 AM
G19, AR15, 870, and maybe a .308/.30-06.

Shotgun
01-07-2018, 09:06 AM
G19

I thought you had switched to a 1911 due to Kalifornia’s magazine capacity limit.

ssb
01-07-2018, 10:19 AM
At this point I could pare it down to:

- S&W 642. Needed for pocket, jacket, NPE carry. With the cold it's seen a lot of mileage over the past few weeks.
- P30SK. It's a 90% belt carry solution, much like the G26 is for many. It's also a safe gun for travel (10rd default capacity).
- Remington 870. HD long arm. I don't hunt, but if I did I could configure it for slug use.
- P30. Belt carry, nightstand, competition and classes. Of the guns listed, it's the most optional -- I wouldn't like it, but it does overlap with the SK as far as "needs" go for everything but classes and competition.

Now that HKs are down to Glock prices, duplicates of each are coming.

Mike C
01-07-2018, 10:26 AM
1. A P2000 in LEM or Gen 5 Glock 19.
2. AR of quality, reliable and accurate within 1.5 MOA using duty grade ammo.
3. A light weight S&W J-Frame or Glock 43.

GyroF-16
01-07-2018, 11:36 AM
Cool thread. Thought about it as I went to bed last night, and here’s what I came up with:

It’s a hierarchy, with #1 being the “essential, if I could only have one gun,” #2 being what I’d add if I could only have two, etc.

1. Beretta 92 Compact L, with night sights and trigger work by LTT. Does everything I need from a handgun, and parts and magazines (full-sized, at least) are readily available. And I have a stash of parts already.
2. Beretta 1301 shotgun. Mine has the Magpul stock, RDS, etc, but even a baseline would do. About ideal for home defense, and could be pressed into service for taking game.
3. .308 rifle. Mine’s an M1A, but many would do. For taking game or dealing with threats out to several hundred yards.

Everything after that is “nice to have,” but my next item would be

4a. If it’s got to be a different type than already mentioned, I’d take a HK USP Compact - they give me one for work, so I’m not sure how it fits into answering this question.

4b. Come to think of it, after #3, I’d probably start doubling/tripling up on Beretta 92 variants with Compact length slides before adding additional types.

Savage Hands
01-07-2018, 11:41 AM
My California CCW limits my to three handguns by serial number, so my bare minimum would be those which are two Gen 4 G19’s and a G43.

Savage Hands
01-07-2018, 11:44 AM
I thought you had switched to a 1911 due to Kalifornia’s magazine capacity limit.

Grandfathered mags are still good to go...

Glenn E. Meyer
01-07-2018, 01:10 PM
I could live with :

1. A Glock 19
2. A J frame
3. A long arm - preferably a 223, but if push came to shove a 12 gauge.

I would like some sort of 22 LR - handgun or rifle. Minimally a 10/22.

Malamute
01-07-2018, 01:38 PM
I didnt take the question as "if you could only have X few guns" question, but as whats the baseline for your shooting habits and uses.

Id want a 22 rifle, 22 Smith (K-22), and 22 Ruger single action, 640 smith, 4" model 19 Smith, 4" 24 and/or 4" 29, short single action like Ruger 45, model 94 Winchester in 20" (30-30), likely an angle eject model with no crossbolt safety, with low-ish power Leupold glass, same basic thing in 16" as truck and brush walk-around gun, and decent scoped bolt gun. If going somewhat minimal on overall numbers of guns, then it would be a 1903 Springfield sporter in 25-06, though id prefer having a couple different ones around, like a Ruger 77 tang safety in 260 or 243 as a semi-short walk-around gun. The 1903 could be swapped back to 30-06 if I recover enough to shoot anything larger, but 25-06 should cover most likely uses and be somewhat tolerable to shoot and enjoy it, and can be loaded down for fun shooting or small game or pest use. A decent U/O shotgun, like a 20 ga Citori for birds and clays would probably work. If I got back into sports shooting, then whatever extra required for cowboy action type stuff and modern shooting fun stuff, but its not high on the list at the moment. A g19 would be somewhat useful, but I could live without it, (unless not having one got me killed in the streets).

ET: forgot a walk around gun for grizzly country, an 1886 carbine or model 71 Winchester would work. Would have to use wimpy loads in the 1886 now.

JRB
01-07-2018, 02:24 PM
Every single one of my range trips seems to include the following:
G19
Beretta M9 or 92FS
S&W M&P 15/22
5.56 AR of some variant (most recently, my 11.5in Colt 933 w/shockwave brace or my pinned/welded 14.5in Colt SOCOM "Mforgery")
16in Troy 762 AR10.

I can teach, practice, and enjoy the bulk of my shooting habits with these. Though a .22 pistol (usually the Ruger 22/45 that I basically commandeered from my Father many years ago) and an old Milsurp bolt action are frequently brought as well. I particularly enjoy my old IDF K98 (which somehow shoots ~2 MOA with cheap ammo and a bore that looks like a sewer pipe) and an occasional Mosin.

For carry, I rarely wear clothing that can't hide a G19 effectively. To fill that niche a G43 or no-lock 442 or 642 has been on the 'yeah I should get this' list.

pangloss
01-07-2018, 02:36 PM
Since I feel like I have my minimal needs covered, I interpret the question to be which guns would I keep if I had to get rid of most of my guns. Here's what I'd keep.

1. My Remington 870 with a 26" barrel. Works for ducks, squirrels, deer, and home defense. Would be nice to keep the 18" barrel from my 870P.
2. Ruger No.1 in .270 Winchester. This has been my only deer rifle since 11th grade, and I would not trade it for anything else.
3. Glock Gen5 19 for carry/hd. Only 465 flawless rounds through it so far, but I like it more than my Gen2/3/4 pistols.
4. J-frame (432PD)
5. .22LR rifle. In my case a Remington Targetmaster that my grandfather bought right before WWII started.

Keeping an AR would be nice. It's been a year or two since I've shot any of my ARs, so I question their "necessity." Having a second G19 would be really nice though. I'd also really miss my Ruger 22/45.

Totem Polar
01-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Every single one of my range trips seems to include the following:

^^^while my baseline minimum is arguably one, the guns that I took to my pistol caliber-only member range in 2017 seem to be mostly variations on 4 themes;

G42, G43, G26, G19

S&W 64, 65; 36-1 and especially 642; Colt Cobra

Ruger flatgate single-six, Walther P22, Erma toggle action

Remington 24 takedown; Ruger 10/22.

I think that’s about it...

nalesq
01-07-2018, 03:27 PM
Walther PPS is my bare minimum handgun, because I can still carry it very discreetly when I have to be dressed nicely without a jacket. Larger handguns only afford relatively marginal improvements in real world defense use performance for me.

Beyond this, an M4 type carbine is the other bare minimum for me, in the event of some catastrophe that greatly heightens the need for more effective armament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DocGKR
01-07-2018, 05:13 PM
"I thought you had switched to a 1911 due to Kalifornia’s magazine capacity limit."

I generally used a 1911 from 1986 to 2010, then happily went to M&P45's for a couple of years. After free .45 Auto ammo went away, I've primarily been using G19's and M&P9's for the past 5 years or so. I have no qualms about using quality 9 mm and have no desire to go back to .45 Auto or 1911's. For the foreseeable future, I will likely stick with a G19 (modified prn for illogical CA laws: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23204-A-solution-for-illogical-10-rd-mag-limits) or possibly an M&P9. If for some reason I went back to .45 Auto (like getting free ammo again), it will be M&P45's.

M2CattleCo
01-07-2018, 06:17 PM
I could and did for awhile get by just fine with a Glock 19 and 43.

They're still my carry guns, but I'm building back a stable of Beretta 92s because I'm a gun guy and I just really like 92s. And it seems silly to not own a 92 when I have over 100 92 mags...

BobLoblaw
01-07-2018, 11:24 PM
I could get by with just a PX4CC and G43.

FrankinCA
01-08-2018, 12:30 AM
Bare minimum: Glock 26
Two handguns: G19 and 26

No long guns currently
I would add a .45 G30 or a MC Operator

john c
01-08-2018, 01:45 AM
If I based my need on what I actually use regularly I’d have to trim the collection to just a 19, and I could stretch it to include a 43. There’s a handful of times I have to dress up and the 43 makes more sense there. Even then I could dress around a 19 but I’m a slim guy and loose dress clothes look sloppy. I want to hate the 43 but it just carries so well.

You could argue that everyone should have a rifle for defense of home and country, but...to this point I’d have been completely fine if I never owned one. Course that’s like a fire extinguisher, you don’t need it until you really need it.

The previous comment to this one referred to a 3 inch K-frame being a general tool. I then read this post, and although I know (assume? :) ) you're referring to Glocks, fifty years ago these comments are equally valid when referring to S&W. An S&W 19 in a 3 inch barrel is the old school G19, and an S&W 43 is a pretty bad-ass pocket pistol, though in .22LR.

rob_s
01-08-2018, 06:53 AM
To me there are various categories of “need” relative to gun ownership. I’m leaving out military use.
1) theoretical. Pretty much all of your defensive firearms fit into this category because virtually none of them will ever actually be “needed” and instead their function is more akin to Linus’ security blanket.
2) professional. Anyone who is required to carry a gun for this job butnis not issued said gun (since an issue gun is likely “owned” by the agency). Also these aren’t much more likely to ever actually be “needed” in terms of firing than #1, but are likely to be “needed” to force compliance.
3) actual. This would be anyone who isn’t required to carry a gun due to profession but for whom their job make sure them more likely to employ one. Ranchers, guides, etc. who may use a firearm to defend against predators, atoning humans or livestock.
4) hobby. While not “needed” in Maslow’s sense, if you want to participate in gun hobbies, you “need” a gun. Hunting, shotgun games, pistol games, 3 gun, etc. all fit here.

For #1, I need a pair of Glock 19s. Maybe 4 (carry, car, nightstand, spare)
I don’t have a #2
I don’t have a #3
For #4, I can get by with said Glock 19s in terms of games I’d actually be likely to attend. I’m about to buy a shotgun as I “need to attend some Clays events in the next two months Andre am likely to encounter more in the future (and I don’t want to rent or borrow).

Bucky
01-08-2018, 07:43 AM
I’ve still yet to have met my minimum needs. ;)

Seriously, I live to shoot and compete. There are disciplines/ divisions that I don’t have a gun for. Problem is, I get distracted by novelties or wants, rather than fill those gaps I where I have a need.

Robinson
01-08-2018, 08:49 AM
Two pistols minimum, Commander or full size of the same type, three is better. Carry gun, range gun, house gun.

A suppressed long gun.

Peally
01-08-2018, 09:16 AM
Bare minimum? Shoots bullets.

MGW
01-08-2018, 09:22 AM
If I had a good answer to this I wouldn't have a safe full of guns :)

In all seriousness, I could probably do everything I need to do with a 17, J frame or 43, AR, and a 12 gauge shotgun. I think being a "gun guy", a parent, and a hunter expands this list for me a lot though. Having a 30-30 lever gun around is very handy. Having a 20 gauge shotgun, 22 rifle, and 22 pistol around makes sense too. I travel a lot so having something closer to full size that is a reliable ban state mag carry pistol like the HK45c seems like a good idea to me.

I can justify everything that's in my safe as essential. Just ask my wife!

rob_s
01-08-2018, 10:11 AM
To me there are various categories of “need” relative to gun ownership. I’m leaving out military use.
1) theoretical. Pretty much all of your defensive firearms fit into this category because virtually none of them will ever actually be “needed” and instead their function is more akin to Linus’ security blanket.
2) professional. Anyone who is required to carry a gun for this job butnis not issued said gun (since an issue gun is likely “owned” by the agency). Also these aren’t much more likely to ever actually be “needed” in terms of firing than #1, but are likely to be “needed” to force compliance.
3) actual. This would be anyone who isn’t required to carry a gun due to profession but for whom their job make sure them more likely to employ one. Ranchers, guides, etc. who may use a firearm to defend against predators, atoning humans or livestock.
4) hobby. While not “needed” in Maslow’s sense, if you want to participate in gun hobbies, you “need” a gun. Hunting, shotgun games, pistol games, 3 gun, etc. all fit here.

For #1, I need a pair of Glock 19s. Maybe 4 (carry, car, nightstand, spare)
I don’t have a #2
I don’t have a #3
For #4, I can get by with said Glock 19s in terms of games I’d actually be likely to attend. I’m about to buy a shotgun as I “need to attend some Clays events in the next two months Andre am likely to encounter more in the future (and I don’t want to rent or borrow).

I should say, I *kind of* have a number 3. I live in a sub-rural area (if suburban is close to the city but faking rural, sub-rural is close to rural but with hints of urban) and we have pets, so we deal with small pests like raccoons. I like to have a suppressed .22 to deal with them. Suppressed because sub-rural means the neighbors are only 1.5 acres away. We have had reports of bobcats which makes me like having my suppressed LARPing AR, but I wouldn’t replicate it now for that “need”.

Rex G
01-08-2018, 02:01 PM
My base-line firearm needs will fundamenally change in less than three weeks, on 27 January. A “primary duty pistol” will disappear from my list of needs, and I will no longer be subject to rules regarding “off-duty” carry. (“Off-duty” is contradictory, in that the rules also say I am “always subject to duty.”) Until 27 January, my Les Baer 1911 pistols, and 9mm Glocks, are my base-line handguns. I have two Les Baers, and five 9mm G17/G19 Glocks, because things can break, and because it is nice to have a clean carry weapon when leaving the range.

One, two, or all of the G19 Glocks may soon go away, because they hurt my aging, gimpy right wrist, whether my right hand is the weapon hand, or support hand. My G26 already went away, for the same reason. I do not shoot compact Glocks very well, one-handed. The heftier, less-whippy G17 behaves better when fired one-handed.

I will need a training handgun, and the easy answer is my S&W Model 17-4, .22 LR, 4” barrel. That has not changed since the Nineties. I may add at least one more K-Frame .22 revolver, because nothing lasts forever. Training with this one has seemed to apply well enough to DA weapons from the SP101 to medium/large-frame revolvers, and DAK SIGs.

I will need to continue to qual annually, in order to keep carrying a handgun in Texas. To qual at the Houston PD range, I will, presumably, need to arrive with a handgun that is decently suited to the revolver-friendly course of fire for the retiree qual. I will, presumably, be free of the minimum-cartridge rules that apply to active HPD officers, but will probably opt to continue to qual with .38 Special ammo in a revolver and 9mm or .45 ACP in an auto. Firing a qual with both auto and revolving pistols will enable me to carry either, or both, as an honorably retired police officer. The easy answer for the revolver is a GP100.

The auto pistol, for my retired-officer qual, will be a 1911 or G17, at least this year. Fifty rounds of .45 ACP may become a bit much, sooner or later, for my aging, gimpy right hand, and my two Les Baers do not (yet) have ambidextrous safety levers. The G17 may become my default qual pistol.

Now, for carry handguns. A J-Snub is a good place to start. Mine was based on a 642, but labeled differently, during S+W’s era of giving every minor cosmetic variant its own model number. One J-Snub may be enough, because I rarely need anything so small, preferring the SP101. The SP101 is my comfortable minimum, and I have several, because things break, and it is nice to carry a clean weapon when leaving the range. I have carried as many as three SP101 revolvers at one time. Yes, several is good. :)

In the full-sized handgun category, the previously-mentioned GP100, G17, and 1911 are the obvious choices. I can shoot these one-handed, with either hand, with the GP100 being the best for one-handed shooting, so, as age catches up with me, the GP100 may be the last one standing. I have several, which is good, because I will sometimes carry two full-sized handguns, and, of course, things break, etc.

I am a believer in having a good shotgun available. My personally-owned duty shotgun, a Benelli M2, seems as good as anything. I have an 18-point-something-inch “tactical” rifle-sighted barrel, and 21” and 28” vent-rib barrels. I will, likely, add at least one more Benelli shotgun, sooner or later, because things can break.

Rifles? I have that covered! A Winchester Model 70, .375 H&H, can bring down anything that walks. Mine has a left-hand action, because I am left-eye-dominant. Does an man “need” anything else? :cool:

Well, realistically, .375 H&H is a bit much for something trying to breach the perimeter of the home, and I appreciate the modularity of the AR15, and being a history buff, appreciate the historical significance of one of the most-prolific military rifle designs. I am not in love with the AR15, but it seems a sensible choice to be included in my base-line minimum. I have a BCM Lightweight Middy, a complete BCM lower, and a complete lower based on an S&W M&P15 receiver.

For travel in oppressive areas, it would be nice to have a lever rifle. The family Winchester Model 94, .30 WCF, would suffice. We have others, but that one having sentimental value makes it the base-line choice.

Darth_Uno
01-08-2018, 07:09 PM
The previous comment to this one referred to a 3 inch K-frame being a general tool. I then read this post, and although I know (assume? :) ) you're referring to Glocks, fifty years ago these comments are equally valid when referring to S&W. An S&W 19 in a 3 inch barrel is the old school G19, and an S&W 43 is a pretty bad-ass pocket pistol, though in .22LR.

And I assumed ;) that everyone knew I meant Glock. Although I have a 4” 19-3 I rarely shoot. I could trade it for a Glock which I actually will use and would be “better” in every practical sense...but not gonna happen.

Ed L
01-08-2018, 08:05 PM

To quote Tom Givens: "In 2011, 5.8 million people were the victims of violent crime (US DOJ figure). By the way, that figure only includes four crimes: Murder, Aggravated Assault, Forcible Rape and Robbery. These are precisely the events that we carry guns and train to counter."

Given those numbers, I would say having a defensive firearm qualifies as a need.

I've noticed a subtext in your posts, Rob, that tends to look down on people who want to own guns to defend themselves.

JodyH
01-08-2018, 08:32 PM
I've noticed a subtext in your posts, Rob, that tends to look down on people
You could have stopped right there and still been correct.

Malamute
01-08-2018, 08:38 PM
I believe enjoying firearms and using them outdoors in other than formal hunting uses and having them part of a lifestyle or location lifestyle choice are all valid reasons, and no reason to try to be a minimalist about it. I see it as a question of what any individual uses on a regular basis as part of their lifestyle, chosen or imposed upon them by whatever circumstances, even for simple enjoyment of use and owning, not necessarily a need that has to be justified to fit anyone elses criteria. If anyone else feels they have to have some need clearly outlined to justify having any particular gun (s), they have a very different outlook than I do. Simply liking them is enough reason for me. Being able to just get
them out and admire the lines, quality of craftsmanship, history and such is enough, besides recalling the miles carried in hand in all sorts of interesting country over the years, campfires theyve slept next to with me, game theyve taken, long shots that scored on steel plates or rocks, crazy good shots in running game, all hold meaning. The old discussion we had about passion of the gun comes to mind.

Hope that makes sense, Ive had a headache all day.

Nephrology
01-08-2018, 08:50 PM
2x Glock 19s
2x "deep carry" belt guns (for me right now, S&W Shields, but the 43 would be fine too)
1x reliable 12ga set up with a light for protection in the home.

This would be my bare minimum. I'd add on :

1x Glock 34, 1x Glock 17

For winter carry + gun gaming.

chl442
01-08-2018, 09:27 PM
To quote Tom Givens: "In 2011, 5.8 million people were the victims of violent crime (US DOJ figure). By the way, that figure only includes four crimes: Murder, Aggravated Assault, Forcible Rape and Robbery. These are precisely the events that we carry guns and train to counter."

Given those numbers, I would say having a defensive firearm qualifies as a need.

I've noticed a subtext in your posts, Rob, that tends to look down on people who want to own guns to defend themselves.

Well said
Chris

rob_s
01-09-2018, 05:15 AM

I think you've missed the nuance.

I take issue with people that appear to just want to carry a gun and then go looking for "data" like the quote above to justify it.

what most of the gun community misses is that when you start peeling ttat 5.8 million onion, the likelihood that YOU are going to be the victim of a violent crime AND in a position to do something about it is about nill.

Either way, the "need" is theoretical vs actual. Someone that is required to carry a gun for work has an actual need. Someone who is working a ranch or other area protecting livestock has a "need". Carrying a gun waiting for a gunfight that will never happen is theoretical.

Bucky
01-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Carrying a gun waiting for a gunfight that will never happen is theoretical.

Is this how you view civilian CCW in general, or just referring to a specific group? The very second to last thing I ever want to do is be in that position, and I will do everything I can, within reason, to avoid it. The first would be being in that position, despite my best efforts not to be, and being powerless to do anything.

OlongJohnson
01-09-2018, 08:44 AM
I believe enjoying firearms and using them outdoors in other than formal hunting uses and having them part of a lifestyle or location lifestyle choice are all valid reasons, and no reason to try to be a minimalist about it. I see it as a question of what any individual uses on a regular basis as part of their lifestyle, chosen or imposed upon them by whatever circumstances, even for simple enjoyment of use and owning, not necessarily a need that has to be justified to fit anyone elses criteria. If anyone else feels they have to have some need clearly outlined to justify having any particular gun (s), they have a very different outlook than I do. Simply liking them is enough reason for me. Being able to just get
them out and admire the lines, quality of craftsmanship, history and such is enough, besides recalling the miles carried in hand in all sorts of interesting country over the years, campfires theyve slept next to with me, game theyve taken, long shots that scored on steel plates or rocks, crazy good shots in running game, all hold meaning. The old discussion we had about passion of the gun comes to mind.

Hope that makes sense, Ive had a headache all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Mike C
01-09-2018, 09:18 AM
what most of the gun community misses is that when you start peeling ttat 5.8 million onion, the likelihood that YOU are going to be the victim of a violent crime AND in a position to do something about it is about nill.

You can do a quick search and find tons of data points to the contrary of your statement. In 5 seconds of using Google I was able to pull up about 4 pages that blow your argument out of the water, (all based on the analysis of FBI data). If you just include the felonious crimes of murder, forcible rape, armed robbery and aggravated assault in some places chances are a high as 1 in 7, (I live not far from two cities that have those numbers). Others cities it's 1 in 52, some much lower. If your going to make an argument that someones chances are nill of being in a violent encounter you might want to throw out some factual data to support your argument before being condescending to an entire community. In addition, what we are discussing greatly varies by locale. So while not the OP in his instance or even in mine you would need to speak to his/my specific municipality and not make such generalizations unless you have the data or a crystal ball to back up that snark.

Duelist
01-09-2018, 11:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

That kinda made my morning.

willie
01-09-2018, 11:55 AM
It goes without saying(almost)that one's safety can be correlated with the crime stats in his town. Further, probability of being a victim is related to neighborhoods and time of day one might be traveling through them. I've observed that some well to do persons living in upper class sections are uncomfortable discussing the issue because then they must acknowledge politically incorrect information. But back to guns and owning them. I take great pleasure in collecting and shooting firearms. I'm thankful that the law allows me to go armed if I choose to do so. Texas has entrusted me with a license to carry, and I make every effort to act responsibly in this regard. This effort includes going out of my way to avoid trouble. I expect never to be in a gunfight. However, if I am, then I have options that an unarmed man would not have.

Ed L
01-09-2018, 12:04 PM

I take issue with people that appear to just want to carry a gun and then go looking for "data" like the quote above to justify it.

Why don't you ask some of the 60+ of Tom Givens students who prevailed in gunfights. They were going about their normal lives--not trying to buy crack in questionable neighborhoods or wearing a a NY Yankee jersey at a Boston Red Socks game--which could actually be more likely to lead to physical attack than trying to buy crack.:p

If you read accounts of crimes you will indeed find some victims doing stupid things in stupid places--everything from leaving a club at 2 in the morning to opening their home door without making sure who it was first.

You will also read about people doing the same types of normal everyday things that we normally do, when they were attacked by a criminal--like going to or from their car in a parking lot or filling up at a gas station, or having the small store that they own or work in robbed, or even having someone break into their house when they are there.

Either way, the "need" is theoretical vs actual. Someone that is required to carry a gun for work has an actual need. Someone who is working a ranch or other area protecting livestock has a "need". Carrying a gun waiting for a gunfight that will never happen is theoretical.

Again with that attitude, Rob. So someone carrying a gun to defend themselves is "waiting for a gunfight?" It must be nice to have a crystal ball to know that you will never face a dangerous criminal.

So do you have a carry permit, Rob?

Do you carry a gun, Rob?

Do you have a home defense gun loaded in your house, Rob?

JRB
01-09-2018, 03:57 PM

And I think it's silly (at best) to marginalize lawful folks exercising a constitutional right.

I'd have liked to think that in the scope of this board, 'need' would simply be the discussion prompt, and it wouldn't be arbitrarily marginalized by sworn profession, personally espoused cherry-picked data, confirmation bias, or legal fictions.

Peally
01-09-2018, 04:51 PM
Well this thread rapidly went down the pooper.

chl442
01-09-2018, 07:11 PM
Why don't you ask some of the 60+ of Tom Givens students who prevailed in gunfights. They were going about their normal lives--not trying to buy crack in questionable neighborhoods or wearing a a NY Yankee jersey at a Boston Red Socks game--which could actually be more likely to lead to physical attack than trying to buy crack.:p

If you read accounts of crimes you will indeed find some victims doing stupid things in stupid places--everything from leaving a club at 2 in the morning to opening their home door without making sure who it was first.

You will also read about people doing the same types of normal everyday things that we normally do, when they were attacked by a criminal--like going to or from their car in a parking lot or filling up at a gas station, or having the small store that they own or work in robbed, or even having someone break into their house when they are there.

Again with that attitude, Rob. So someone carrying a gun to defend themselves is "waiting for a gunfight?" It must be nice to have a crystal ball to know that you will never face a dangerous criminal.

So do you have a carry permit, Rob?

Do you carry a gun, Rob?

Do you have a home defense gun loaded in your house, Rob?

Excellent post Ed.
There are plenty of real life examples out there of regular people whom weren't in stupid places doing stupid things at stupid times that had some pretty horrific things done to them. The murders of Channon Christian & Christopher Newsom and the Petit family home invasion are incidents that come to mind . But there's plenty of other similar events( I can think of around 6 off the top of my head) that have happened in the county I reside that didn't make the news outside of the local viewing area that had equally bad consequences for the victims involved. Since I'd prefer not to be a victim to such an event and if I were selected by a violent criminal , I've made it a point to carry a gun as often as I can for the last 22 years. I still could lose , but I'd prefer a vote in the entire affair.

MistWolf
01-10-2018, 09:05 AM
Using my current, minimalist needs, I can boil it down to two firearms (three, if you take into consideration a silencer is legally defined as a firearm)- a compact 9mm and a suppressed AR pistol. Since I'd be limiting myself to one compact handgun, you can best betcha Hong Kong believe it, that handgun will not be a Glock of any type.

scott
01-11-2018, 12:51 AM
In terms of guns I actually use, and their absence would alter my behavior significantly,
carry: One of my 3" k frames and a 342
Bullseye: model 17, model 14, model of 1955
clays: any one of the O/Us. Probably a 20ga

I also get kind of antsy if there isn't a rifle somewhere in the house, although none of them get nearly as much use as any of the above. If I had to pare it down, it would be the R93 in 375. Lots of opportunity to load it up or down.

Eli
01-11-2018, 11:58 AM
My actual NEEDS can be met with three firearms.

A fullsize 9mm. I like carrying a fullsize gun that's wearing a weapon-light...can't do that with itty bitties.

An itty bitty 9mm. I work in an environment where the threat of indiscriminate violence is fairly high, and my employers offer precisely zero forms of worker security. I'm not allowed to carry a gun there, so I need an itty bitty 9mm for when concealment is the #1 priority.

12 gauge. I prefer having a long-gun for HD. The 12 gauge seems to do pretty well, historically, against anything that actually NEEDS to be shot. I can also load it up with slugs if ever find myself in some dystopian future where I NEED to get through body armor...or god forbid, hunt my own food.

DocGKR
01-11-2018, 12:05 PM
Slugs do NOT generally go through well made body armor...

Clusterfrack
01-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Interesting question, especially since I’m getting ready to sell some guns to clear space in the safe and generate some funds for components and match travel expenses.

Defense:
Primary carry gun + spare for practice. CZ P07 to match my USPSA gun.

NPE Gun: G43

USPSA Production:
Match gun and spare/practice gun. CZ Shadow 2.

Long range tactical competition:
AIAE .260 + suppressor
18” AR + suppr. for team matches.

Home and camp defense rifle:
11.5” AR and suppr.

Bear defense handgun:
.44 SBH or G20

Surprisingly I find myself not including shotguns. I guess that’s telling me I don’t find multigun that interesting anymore.

Also, while not “essential”, I always want to own some G19s because to me this is the best all around handgun.

Eli
01-11-2018, 02:05 PM
Slugs do NOT generally go through well made body armor...

Fair enough.
I shall endeavor to face-shoot the motherfuckers.

willie
01-11-2018, 09:42 PM
12 gauge pump shotgun, 6 inch .357 revolver, 2 inch 38 revolver, 1911 .45, .22 auto target pistol, .22 bolt action target rifle, and a quality bolt action .223.

Crews
01-12-2018, 09:38 AM
With the recent birth of my twin daughters and the resulting budgetary constraints, I had to consolidate all my firearms down to the bare minimum. This is what I ended up with:

Glock 19- primary ccw
Shield- npe ccw
Suppressed SBR- home defense/hunting
6.5 Creedmoor Bolt- hunting/range fun
Beretta 391- all things shotgun

Duelist
01-12-2018, 10:48 AM
With the recent birth of my twin daughters and the resulting budgetary constraints, I had to consolidate all my firearms down to the bare minimum. This is what I ended up with:

Glock 19- primary ccw
Shield- npe ccw

The only thing you don't have that I would have kept/would get is something in .22.

willie
01-12-2018, 11:23 AM
Crews, sir, congratulations on your great blessing, those girls. I agree with Duelist that you consider a .22 firearm. Eventually you will plan for the young ladies to begin shooting. If I'm correct, you can start buying .22 ammo a box or two at a time. Do you have any intention to start reloading(if you don't already)? If so, pm me.

BN
01-12-2018, 12:35 PM

Glock 19- primary ccw
Shield- npe ccw

You need 2 pink Crickets. :)

OnionsAndDragons
01-12-2018, 12:49 PM
I would consider this my comfy minimum at this point in life:

P2000 for EDC
J-Frame for NPE or backup purposes
30-30 lever gun

To be prepared for potential disruptions to societal systems, I would also stock at least:

P30 and an extra p2000
AR15
12ga shotgun
22 rifle
Maybe a couple 9mm Glocks for really hard times

As of right now, I do not have a 12ga and I do have a few extra pistols. All other bases covered. Looking to pare those extra pistols down to either a couple Beretta TDAs or P30 TDAs and that shotgun. Trying to get to my ideal minimum.

Crews
01-12-2018, 09:12 PM
Crews, sir, congratulations on your great blessing, those girls. I agree with Duelist that you consider a .22 firearm. Eventually you will plan for the young ladies to begin shooting. If I'm correct, you can start buying .22 ammo a box or two at a time. Do you have any intention to start reloading(if you don't already)? If so, pm me.

Thanks guys! You know... I have just never owned or shot a 22 very much, even as a kid. My wife only started doing outdoor stuff when she married me, and killed her first deer last year with the suppressed SBR. Seeing the joy on her face after that was the most rewarding thing I’ve ever experienced. I do believe that a fine match pair of pink .22 crickets is definitely in order!!!

fixer
01-12-2018, 10:05 PM
baseline needs:
deep concealment/npe
edc
home defense & survival

How would I attempt this from scratch at my current level of knowledge and skill?
G26
Pair of G19s
Benelli Supernova
Colt 6920

Clay
01-14-2018, 10:30 PM
My wife and I decided to simplify our lives last year, and so we kinda sorta went down the minimalist path, without the cult-like lefty slant. I am not a collector or gear junkie so it was fairly easy overall. I've been carrying a Glock 19 since 2003, and my wife had settled on the Glock line as well, so here is what we did regarding carry guns and gear -

NPE/backup ankle and purse carry - Glock 26 Gen4. Two for me and two for her. One to carry, and one backup/training gun. 4 total.
Primary carry - Glock 19 Gen4. Same as above - 4 total.
Around the house carry for her - Glock 42
Ankle/NPE and around the house carry for me - S&W 442
House gun - Glock 17 Gen 3.

I've had the 442 for many years, and kept it out of nostalgia more than anything, although I use it a lot right now as an ankle gun because I have tendinitis in my foot and the Glock 26 can be rough at times to manage on a daily basis. The Glock 42 was purchased at a fantastic price, and we had a stash of .380 ammo already, and the wife dug it. It has been great for her so far. We could live without both of these guns, but they do serve a purpose right now. The Glock 17 was a trade- owner fired two boxes of ammo through it, didn't like it, and I traded him a Canik with about 3000 rounds through it. A deal I couldn't pass up, but I would sell it for sure if I ever needed the money. I keep it on the nightstand with a light mounted just to give it a job.

All of the Glocks have the exact same sights.

Holsters -

Kydex IWB for daily carry - JM Custom - I run a #3 and my wife runs a #1, now discontinued I believe.
Leather and horsehide IWB for backup - Sparks SS2 for her and a Kramer #3 for me. Leather and horsehide doesn't break.
Ankle - Galco ankle glove for the Glocks and an old Renegade for my 442.
NPE - Smartcarry.
General around the house, and in bag/pack carry - Remora.
I keep a left-handed Kydex IWB around for emergency use if an arm/hand injury should occur.

Belts - I have two Wilderness FF belts and my wife uses a belt from Mastermind as well as a Procter Covert on occasion.

We have a lot of factory and Magpul magazines, along with a supply of spare parts.

I have two Beretta 92FS pistols that I decided to keep. We love to shoot them, they keep us proficient with DA/SA guns, and being a U.S. military gun for over three decades has ensured a good supply of parts and gear will probably be around longer than we will. It may be a good gun to be proficient on as well if SHTF. I have a Kramer and JM #3 for these as well, along with a bunch of magazines and spare parts.

From a minimalist/prepper standpoint, the Glock and Beretta 92/M9 are probably the two most prolific pistols in the country, and thus make a lot of sense.

We have no plans on buying any pistols or carry gear for the foreseeable future. All other pistols and gear got sold or gifted.

OlongJohnson
01-15-2018, 12:25 AM
You need 2 pink Crickets. :)

If you don't need a truly tiny rifle, consider an old Marlin 15YN. They are nicely made, with the same trigger as other Marlin .22 bolt actions. A real rifle, rather than a cheap imitation of one that is only not called a toy because it fires real bullets. They are also pretty inexpensive these days.

VT1032
01-15-2018, 06:16 AM
For an absolute minimum, my thoughts are a glock 19, a glock 43, and a 12 gauge pump set up to run buckshot and slugs. With that, you've really got most of your bases covered, from npe carry, regular carry, home defense, etc. If you needed to protect against or hunt large game, the 12 gauge with slugs would work, at least at close range. That's the bare minimum.

My more comfy minimum would be:
Pair of G19's
Pair of G43's
Pair of 6920's or equivalent with aimpoint, white light and sling
Some sort of 12 gauge that you can run buckshot and slugs in
.22 rifle

My actual collection is pretty similar to the above with some minor variations, plus a pink SR22 that is nominally my wife's gun, but will become my daughter's when she gets old enough since my wife did not get into shooting.