PDA

View Full Version : SIG models

READYSHOOT
01-28-2012, 10:21 PM
I have been looking at sigs and mostly the p250, sp2022, and sp2340. I am wanting to get into competition shootin, maybe three gun, in the next few years. But for this question i was just wanting to know what is the, if any, major differences in these models. I also am not sure what caliber to go for. I live in arkansas, i have seen my friends buy guns with 15+ from store. Other than that I have no idea what our gun laws are.
I have a tact sks, stock rem700 in 270, also tactical moss590.
If i have the chance to buy a razorcat style pistol, should i do it?

Not sure what else to put in here

ANY advice will be greatly appreciated

DonovanM
01-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Woo boy, if you buy a Razorcat you'll be shooting Open class, where you'll be spending a roughly equal amount of money as the pistol (~$3000+) on the other two guns in the equation. If you have the cash, hell yeah!

I would stay away from the P250, as it has a DAO trigger and a loooong reset, which is not conducive to the type of speed shooting inherent to this kind of competition. The only upside to the P250 is that it's available in 45, which would allow you to shoot Heavy Metal division.

I don't think the SP2340 is still in production, so I'd purchase the SP2022. 9mm would probably be fine, but you'd have to shoot Minor. But you probably won't get enough capacity out of the 40 to be competitive shooting Major.

beltjones
01-29-2012, 12:09 AM
I don't mean any offense by this, and I hope you take my advice to heart.

You are about a second away from buying a bunch of stuff you will wish you hadn't. The fact that you're asking about Sigs and you called an Open gun a "razorcat style" gun tells me you need to do a lot more homework and talk to a lot more people before you even think about buying anything.

I get that you would like to get into 3 gun. Who wouldn't? Shooting competitions are as much fun as anyone can have. However, the rules are confusing even for people who have been around for a while, and the equipment is really expensive. Oh yeah, nothing in the collection you mentioned is really ideal for 3 gun. Sorry.

I recommend this: Go out to a match or two. Talk to people about what the different divisions are. Figure out which division you want to shoot, and then investigate what equipment people use. I can't tell you how many people I meet who bought a Saiga12 for 3 gun who then figure out that the Saiga puts them in Open division, where to be competitive they need a $3000 Open pistol and an AR in an obscure caliber with two (2) expensive optics.

Anyway, go slow, talk to people, and check out the Brian Enos forums for more info from top 3 gun shooters. You also might consider buying a viable 3 gun pistol (Glock 34 for example) and getting into USPSA competition while you get the rest of your 3 gun gear in order. The best 3 gunners tend to come from USPSA, so you might as well get your feet wet and unleash your inner gamer while you figure out where to go from here.

Good luck!

READYSHOOT
01-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Well, here in arkansas, competition shooters are hard to come by, most people on their own land and therefore i have no exposure to them. I have found one guy in the quad city area that does this but havent been able to get in touch with him. I was told he does idpa or something like that. Guess i will get with him and prod him for tips.

I had seen the razor cat style gun in a pawn shop is why i asked, didn't see a price on it either so if i had seen it i probably wouldn't have said anything. Like i said, this is my first info on any of this. You can't expect to know the entire in and outs. All the lingo yall are throwing out isn't helping either.

What is open class?
what is DAO trigger?
what is heavy metal class?

You are about a second away from buying a bunch of stuff you will wish you hadn't. The fact that you're asking about Sigs and you called an Open gun a "razorcat style" gun tells me you need to do a lot more homework and talk to a lot more people before you even think about buying anything.

what do you think im doing here?????

Ray Keith
01-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Where in Arkansas? There are plenty of competition shooters.

There are clubs that shoot IDPA in Central Arkansas and NW Arkansas I know of. There is a USPSA club on the Texas side of Texarkana. IDPA HQ is in Berryville, AR.

There is an IDPA forum, Brian Enos forum which is all about various shooting games. Rangemaster is in Memphis, close by where you can get good pistol instruction. The U.S. Shooting Academy is in Tulsa if you are in that part of the state for more instruction.

The rulebooks for IDPA and USPSA are online, a good place to start reading. A few IDPA clubs. I don't know as much about USPSA, others here do. I wouldn't buy anything now either. Knowing what a DAO trigger is would be important in decision making.

1 Benton Gun Club
www.bentongunclub.org
Benton, AR
USA
Club Match 4th Sat. of every month
David Habig
david.habig@sbcglobal.net
Mobile: 501-410-0102
Paul C. Stiedle
pstiedle@msn.com
Mobile: 501-517-0756

2 Arkansas Combat Pistol League
www.acpl.net
Berryville, AR
USA
2nd Sat.
Carroll Lawrence
cap1911@cox.net
Home: 870-423-2338
John May
johnmay@wilsoncombat.com
Work: 870-545-3635

3 Nighthawk Custom Training Academy
nighthawkcustomtraining.com
Centerton, AR
USA
Behind Lonesome Oak Storage
Jon Hodoway
jehodoway@yahoo.com
Mobile: 479-631-1321

4 Mountain Valley Sportsman's Association
www.mvsaonline.com
Hot Springs, AR
USA
1st Sun. at 1 pm and 3rd Sat. at 9 am.
Ted Smethers
TSMETHE@ENTERGY.COM
Work: 501-844-2162
Mobile: 501-620-0601
Fax: 501-262-5620
Steve Freeman
danafreeman@cablelynx.com
Home: 501-620-4374
Mobile: 501-545-9939
Fax: 501-318-6919

5 Central A R Shooters Association
www.casarange.com
Little Rock, AR
USA
3rd Saturday of every month
Goose Changose
wchangose@aol.com
Home: 501-333-2699 (range)

6 Twin Lakes Gun Club
www.twinlakesgunclub.com
Mountain Home, AR
USA
4th Sat. of each month
Rick Watkins
watkins33@suddenlink.net
Home: 870-405-7256
Work: 870-405-7256

7 Pine Bluff Gun Club
www.pbgunclub.org
Pine Bluff, AR
USA
2nd Sat. of month
Michael Walls
wmwalls1@cablelynx.com
Home: 870-671-4693
Mobile: 501-519-1825
Kyle Wood
kkw65@hotmail.com
Home: 870-879-3834
Mobile: 870-540-7388

8 Sturm's I D P A
www.sturmsrange.com
Springdale, AR
USA
every other Tues.
Steve Sturm
steve@sturmsrange.com
Work: 479-927-2244

9 Ozark Tactical Shooters
www.ozarksportsman.com/leagues.html
Tonitown (Ozark Sportsman Supply), AR
USA
3rd Mon. of every month
Jon Hodoway
jehodoway@yahoo.com
Mobile: 479-631-1321

Well, here in arkansas, competition shooters are hard to come by, most people on their own land and therefore i have no exposure to them. I have found one guy in the quad city area that does this but havent been able to get in touch with him. I was told he does idpa or something like that. Guess i will get with him and prod him for tips.

I had seen the razor cat style gun in a pawn shop is why i asked, didn't see a price on it either so if i had seen it i probably wouldn't have said anything. Like i said, this is my first info on any of this. You can't expect to know the entire in and outs. All the lingo yall are throwing out isn't helping either.

What is open class?
what is DAO trigger?

JM Campbell
01-29-2012, 10:38 AM
and to add....

http://www.idpa.com/

http://www.ipsc.org/

http://www.3gunrules.com/gettingstarted.php

READYSHOOT
01-29-2012, 12:23 PM
see all you have to say is double action only, i know what that is, just dont know the abbreviation.

Suvorov
01-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Back up here, people are just confused about what you are asking as it is kind a broad question.

What is the PRIMARY reason you are wanting to purchase a Sig pistol? You mention "competition" a few years down the road so most hear are assuming you are looking for a pistol for IDPA or other game. If you are wanting to compete, you really should go to a few matches and get a feel for what people who are competing are using. You have been supplied a lot of contacts as to how to find local matches and competitors.

As far as the basic question on the Sig models go, the general opinion of the P250 is not good. Most will tell you to avoid it as it has not done well in the Law Enforcement world. The SP2022 is a good gun for not a lot of money and there is a current thread here about it that will answer your questions on it. The SP2340 is an older variant of the Sig Pro platform pistol which has evolved into the SP2022. While many consider the SP2022 a good gun (especially for the money), it may not be a good buy for you depending on what kind of competitive shooting you get into.

beltjones
01-29-2012, 06:20 PM

What is open class?
what is DAO trigger?

FYI, the Razorcat is JJ Racaza's signature gun built by Johnny Lim of Limcat customs. That style is more commonly called an "Open" gun, meaning, it is suitable for Open division (red dot optic, compensator, chambered in something that will allow for 30+ rounds in a 170mm magazine, etc). If you saw one in a pawn shop there is a very high chance that it was stolen, as unless that thing is really old and obsolete the previous owner could have sold it to another competitor for a lot more than any pawn shop would pay. If it wasn't stolen, then it is likely obsolete and not worth buying.

If you are going to get into 3 gun then likely the most important piece of equipment you're going to buy is a shotgun. Whereas anything from a Glock 17 to a hi-cap 2011 pistol will be competitive in Tactical division, and while there are loads of suitable options for ARs, you pretty much need to buy a top of the line shotgun to be competitive. Think Benelli M2 with a 21" barrel and a lot of work done to it to make it game-ready. Pistols and ARs are easy (relatively) to equip and keep running, but shotguns can be finicky.

Heavy metal division is characterized by 12 ga pump shotguns, rifles chambered in .308, and 1911 pistols in .45acp. You have the shotgun for this, but the other equipment can be expensive. It may be cheap to get started in this division, but it's one of the most challenging divisions in terms of the skill required to do well.

If you're in Arkansas do yourself a favor and seek out Matt Mink for a class. This will allow you to take a massive leap up the learning curve before you commit to anything else. Matt isn't a 3 gun shooter per se, but he can teach you everything you need to know about shooting a pistol.