PDA

View Full Version : "Way of the gun" is on Netflix

Totem Polar
01-03-2018, 11:24 PM
Just saw it listed under new additions. Takes care of the evening’s wind-down. You’re welcome.

Dave Williams
01-03-2018, 11:33 PM
About time.

Mitchell, Esq.
01-04-2018, 06:25 AM
Motive with a universal adapter...

LittleLebowski
01-04-2018, 06:33 AM
Classic.

Casual Friday
01-04-2018, 11:27 AM
Well I know what I'm doing later this evening.

csheehy
01-04-2018, 11:34 AM
"Until that day..."

Bigghoss
01-04-2018, 12:14 PM
I loved seeing Sarah Silverman getting her face pounded in at the beginning. Every movie should start that way.

Dagga Boy
01-04-2018, 05:03 PM
For those that don't know.....although he didn't get credit, Scotty Reitz trained the actors. When Benecio Del Torro puts the gun under his armpit..classic Scotty and Del Torro does it in other movies. Scotty said Del Torro was a meticulous note taker and very intense and really had an honest desire to do things right. He is one of my favorite actors.

GardoneVT
01-04-2018, 11:24 PM
For those that don't know.....although he didn't get credit, Scotty Reitz trained the actors. When Benecio Del Torro puts the gun under his armpit..classic Scotty and Del Torro does it in other movies. Scotty said Del Torro was a meticulous note taker and very intense and really had an honest desire to do things right. He is one of my favorite actors.

It explains his excellent work on Sicario.

elsquid
01-04-2018, 11:39 PM
It explains his excellent work on Sicario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pymm6cmE9uQ

Based on 1 minute into the trailer for Sicario 2, he may need a refresher.

;)

— Michael

SoCalDep
01-05-2018, 01:36 AM
Geoffrey Lewis (Abner Mercer - The old hitman guy) came into the gun store where I worked a lot. He was a really cool guy. He wore an HK shirt a lot and said all the Hollywood guys would ask what the cool logo was... He'd say; "They make the best damn submachine guns in the world!"

I remember him coming in and telling me I "had" to see this movie coming out called "Way of the Gun"... that the gun stuff was really good. He told me his daughter was in the movie and he was really happy with how it came out. It wasn't until I saw the movie (later on VHS) that I realized his daughter was Juliette Lewis.

He died a couple years ago. I hadn't seen him in nearly 15 years because I left the gun store and entered law enforcement. It was still sad to know he is gone... He was a good guy... a gun guy... and now I soooooo want to watch this on Netflix... I think my old VHS copy is around somewhere unless we trashed it (we don't have a VHS player anymore).

Thanks so much for the heads-up!

Lon
01-05-2018, 02:32 AM
The opening scene for this movie ranks as one of my favorite opening scenes.

Bigghoss
01-05-2018, 08:43 AM
Geoffrey Lewis (Abner Mercer - The old hitman guy) came into the gun store where I worked a lot. He was a really cool guy. He wore an HK shirt a lot and said all the Hollywood guys would ask what the cool logo was... He'd say; "They make the best damn submachine guns in the world!"

I remember him coming in and telling me I "had" to see this movie coming out called "Way of the Gun"... that the gun stuff was really good. He told me his daughter was in the movie and he was really happy with how it came out. It wasn't until I saw the movie (later on VHS) that I realized his daughter was Juliette Lewis.

He died a couple years ago. I hadn't seen him in nearly 15 years because I left the gun store and entered law enforcement. It was still sad to know he is gone... He was a good guy... a gun guy... and now I soooooo want to watch this on Netflix... I think my old VHS copy is around somewhere unless we trashed it (we don't have a VHS player anymore).

Thanks so much for the heads-up!

He delivered one of my favorite comedy lines of all time. He played a drunk on My Name is Earl and Earl was trying to reconcile him and his daughter. At one point his pants fell down and Randy is wrestling with him to get the pants back up and the drunk guy yells "If you pull 'em up I'll poop 'em!"

Shotgun
01-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Add to list of recommended P-F movies? I haven't seen it yet but will now since it's on Netflix.

WobblyPossum
01-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Way of the Gun is definitely one of my favorite "gun guy" movies. Lots of 1911 manipulation that's actually correct (like DB said, Scott Reitz trained the actors), guns carried in realistic holsters, some pretty quotable lines, and a few great shootouts. I haven't seen it in a while so I might just watch it on Saturday morning.

JohnO
01-05-2018, 11:25 AM
Watched the movie last night on Netflix for the first time. Wow, those guys certainly carried quite a few 1911 mags.

Casual Friday
01-05-2018, 11:59 AM
One thing I've always wondered about Way of the Gun. Is it a good movie, or is it a good movie to gun folks? If the gun stuff wasn't so good would it be just another forgettable hollywood action movie? I tend to think it may be the latter. Reason being, I don't know anyone that likes or remembers it who isn't at the very least a casual shooter.

Either way, I like it.

blues
01-05-2018, 12:11 PM
One thing I've always wondered about Way of the Gun. Is it a good movie, or is it a good movie to gun folks? If the gun stuff wasn't so good would it be just another forgettable hollywood action movie? I tend to think it may be the latter. Reason being, I don't know anyone that likes or remembers it who isn't at the very least a casual shooter.

Either way, I like it.

The latter, imho. And I still can't remember anything about it...though I know I've seen it.

11B10
01-05-2018, 01:09 PM
RE: The question: Is it a good movie? If this means anything to you fellas, the IMBD rating is 6.7 (out of 10).

Wondering Beard
01-05-2018, 01:16 PM

Either way, I like it.

If we put aside the gun stuff, it's a pretty good noir type movie with some really funny lines:"this isn't a "brains type of operation"

Casual Friday
01-05-2018, 02:20 PM
The latter, imho. And I still can't remember anything about it...though I know I've seen it.

How would you know if you don't remember anything about it?

blues
01-05-2018, 02:53 PM
How would you know if you don't remember anything about it?

Because things that I've really enjoyed, (books, movies, etc), are rarely forgotten. I'm funny like that.

Guess my mind has basically shelved the story but left the cover jacket visible so that I can at least recall "oh yeah, I saw that".

LOKNLOD
01-05-2018, 03:01 PM
It’s not a particularly movie, but has a couple cool shooting scenes and Sarah Silverman taking a punch to the face.

It’s one of those movies with no actual good guys.

blues
01-05-2018, 03:11 PM
It’s not a particularly movie, but has a couple cool shooting scenes and Sarah Silverman taking a punch to the face.

It must've left very little impression for me not to even remember Sarah Silverman taking one off the melon. I can't bear her schtick.

What I do remember was the title of the film and thinking it was going to be some Zen-like cool shit dealing with guns and nuance.

I'll probably give it another look sometime to remember why I don't remember.

Totem Polar
01-05-2018, 05:15 PM

Either way, I like it.

For what it’s worth, my wife thought it was reasonably well done stylistically, but didn’t especially care for it. I thought it was reasonably well done stylistically, and totally dug the gun handling and watchedit more than once (which seldom happens with movies). So, yeah.

Casual Friday
01-05-2018, 06:14 PM
For what it’s worth, my wife thought it was reasonably well done stylistically, but didn’t especially care for it. I thought it was reasonably well done stylistically, and totally dug the gun handling and watchedit more than once (which seldom happens with movies). So, yeah.

My wife kinda liked it, but she gets suuuuuuper annoyed when I start pausing movies to show good/bad gun handling stuff. I still do it though.

CWM11B
01-05-2018, 06:23 PM
Mehhh, to each his own. Never saw it, read this thread and punched it up this afternoon. Aside from decent 1911 handling it was a big yawn for me.
Unending supply of ammo, mysterious appearance of high end long guns for the two protagonists who didn't have a lot to piss in, and "A" Team level shooting until someone needed to be hit for dramatic effect. Won't watch it again, and now know I wouldn't have missed much if I never had. No worries, I like plenty of flicks many folks think sucked.

JSGlock34
01-05-2018, 06:29 PM
I'd say it's a cult movie for gun folks. And honestly, there's really no good reason why Parker and Longbaugh (real last names of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, by the way) demonstrate the gun handling skills and tactical saavy they do. But I like most of Christopher McQuarrie's stuff, particularly The Usual Suspects.

The opening scene is epic though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQLXYu6plhg

peterb
01-05-2018, 06:49 PM
I remember being impressed with the long gun handling when they were clearing the rooms -- Look! Muzzle control! -- but not a lot else sticks.

GardoneVT
01-05-2018, 06:49 PM
*Puts on hipster film critic hat*

“The Way of The Gun” would be a great movie -if it had a protagonist. As written it’s a messsy movie about scumbags who socialize with words and then bullets. That formula works for Quentin Tarantino movies because he’ll pick two scoundrels out of the lot who,jerks though they are,represent the pinnacle of ethics compared to the other folks in the picture. You know a movies depressing when even the pregnant chick is a villain.

The best parts of “The Way of The Gun” are thankfully accessible without the sludge, courtesy YouTube.

blues
01-05-2018, 06:52 PM
Huh...I do remember that scene. I just forgot it was Sarah Silverman. Hard to forget that sorry lookin' dude she was with though.

Ed L
01-06-2018, 01:47 AM
There were other good scenes unrelated to guns. In this case we have a comedic scene where the two main characters interview to sell their product to a sperm bank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdDOmuWz92I

Coyotesfan97
01-06-2018, 03:28 AM
I’m never jumping into a dry fountain. No effing way!

5pins
01-06-2018, 02:42 PM
I think Antonio Banderas did a great job. ;)

Wondering Beard
01-06-2018, 05:39 PM
I think Antonio Banderas did a great job. ;)

Have another Heineken.

Trooper224
01-06-2018, 06:09 PM

Either way, I like it.

It's strictly B-movie fare, but like most here I watch it for the gun handling which is worth a couple of hours.

GyroF-16
01-06-2018, 08:45 PM
My wife kinda liked it, but she gets suuuuuuper annoyed when I start pausing movies to show good/bad gun handling stuff. I still do it though.

Yeah... that happens at my house too.... both the pausing... and the annoying...

GyroF-16
01-06-2018, 08:50 PM
...Parker and Longbaugh (real last names of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...
...But I like most of Christopher McQuarrie's stuff, particularly The Usual Suspects.

Two fun facts I did not know.

The second one will be used to entice my wife to watch “The Way of the Gun” though.
Thanks!

Shotgun
01-06-2018, 10:41 PM
Watched it today because of this thread. It was worth one watching, but only one. Definitely a B movie.

That Guy
01-07-2018, 05:43 AM
One thing I've always wondered about Way of the Gun. Is it a good movie, or is it a good movie to gun folks? If the gun stuff wasn't so good would it be just another forgettable hollywood action movie?

I don't think you can claim Way of the Gun is anything like a generic Hollyweird action movie. A generic action movie is very poorly written and features a plot that doesn't make sense more often than does, stereotypical and cartoonish characters, and the whole thing seems to be just a place holder for the action scenes and the CGI. Compare and contrast that to Way of the Gun and you'll see that movie is something quite different. Instead of a typical movie that requires one to turn their brain very much off in order to be able to get some enjoyment out of the movie, Way of the Gun is a movie better viewed with your brain left on the on setting. This is pretty rare.

I don't know if that makes it a good movie. But it does make it something other than just another action movie.

I taught my girlfriend to shoot. I don't have to point out poor gun handling, she spots it in real time and if anything, even faster than I do. :)

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk

Gun Mutt
01-07-2018, 09:57 AM
I love this movie, we watched it again the day this thread started. I'm surprised at the level of 'meh' here, I thought the dialogue was outstanding, with little subtle touches like James Caan flashing Del Toro his wallet, but never once showing a badge throughout the film, you extrapolate that he's a cop, but they never confirm it. Anyway...it remains one of my favorites.

"One's backfire...three's gun play."

Dismas316
01-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Watched it as well and definitely a B movie, but a good B movie. Big fan Benito del toro and he was excellent as usual. Actually all were prettty good although Juliette Lewis is difficult to watch, just a terrible actress imo. Gun handeling helps with the appeal, the end when they had to do all the reloads was entertaining. Yeah and note to self, never dive into a fountain, lol.

Quality of actors (minus Juliette Lewis), and good gun handeling made what looked to be low budget movie into a pretty good one.

5pins
01-07-2018, 11:15 AM
I love this movie, we watched it again the day this thread started. I'm surprised at the level of 'meh' here, I thought the dialogue was outstanding, with little subtle touches like James Caan flashing Del Toro his wallet, but never once showing a badge throughout the film, you extrapolate that he's a cop, but they never confirm it. Anyway...it remains one of my favorites.

"One's backfire...three's gun play."

He was showing him a picture of his daughter, the pregnant kidnap victim, Juliette Lewis.

UNK
01-07-2018, 09:21 PM
Just saw it listed under new additions. Takes care of the evening’s wind-down. You’re welcome.

Been through new releases twice and also used the search bar. I can't find it.

blues
01-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Been through new releases twice and also used the search bar. I can't find it.

https://www.netflix.com/title/60001827

UNK
01-07-2018, 09:28 PM

Download only. OK I was searching with my TV at netflix. Thanks guys.

UNK
01-07-2018, 10:02 PM
I’m not sure what you mean, but searching for “way” in the Netflix app on my TV brings up the movie. When I select it, it immediately starts streaming/playing.

Well if i use the link you sent me and I have to log onto netflix from my laptop but then I get a message i need silverplayer I think it was. So I assumed I had to download the movie. I have no idea how to get it to play from my laptop to the TV. I cant find it at all from the search bar at netflix from the TV. I even tried to put the 6000 number in the link you guys provided. Way does not bring it up for me.

blues
01-07-2018, 10:18 PM
Well if i use the link you sent me and I have to log onto netflix from my laptop but then I get a message i need silverplayer I think it was. So I assumed I had to download the movie. I have no idea how to get it to play from my laptop to the TV. I cant find it at all from the search bar at netflix from the TV. I even tried to put the 6000 number in the link you guys provided. Way does not bring it up for me.

I don't have a "smart" TV so I dunno...I can access Netflix via Apple TV or Fire TV stick. I just went on the Netflix app from Apple TV and went to search, put in "Way" then a space followed by "Of" and it came right up.

ETA:

Alternatively, log into Netflix on your laptop and add the movie to your favorites / watch list.

Then when you go to Netflix on your TV it should be in your list of saved movies.

UNK
01-07-2018, 10:37 PM
I don't have a "smart" TV so I dunno...I can access Netflix via Apple TV or Fire TV stick. I just went on the Netflix app from Apple TV and went to search, put in "Way" then a space followed by "Of" and it came right up.

ETA:

Alternatively, log into Netflix on your laptop and add the movie to your favorites / watch list.

Then when you go to Netflix on your TV it should be in your list of saved movies.

Did exactly that. Thanks Blues.

blues
01-07-2018, 11:03 PM
Did exactly that. Thanks Blues.

My pleasure, brother.

HCM
01-07-2018, 11:21 PM

That is exactly what makes it a great movie. Same with The Wild Bunch.

HCM
01-07-2018, 11:26 PM
It must've left very little impression for me not to even remember Sarah Silverman taking one off the melon. I can't bear her schtick.

What I do remember was the title of the film and thinking it was going to be some Zen-like cool shit dealing with guns and nuance.

I'll probably give it another look sometime to remember why I don't remember.

Lots of Zen like cool shit .... in addition to the guns.

http://youtu.be/RFh9oOPq1rE

http://youtu.be/7C_sF-PLVbY

blues
01-07-2018, 11:35 PM
Lots of Zen like cool shit .... in addition to the guns.

Very ascetic. I think I was on that of stretch road in the opening clip. Looked very familiar.

What's the sound of one hand fapping?

Totem Polar
01-08-2018, 12:54 AM
What's the sound of one hand fapping?

LoL... I’ve never heard that variation. Ya got me in the funny bone with that one. :D

RoyGBiv
01-08-2018, 08:49 AM
Great opening scene!
Otherwise just OK, IMO.

NETim
01-08-2018, 09:47 AM
I get my Zen fix from that Circle of Iron flick. Really not a bad movie, especially when it looks like it was shot for $42 or something like that.

BobLoblaw
01-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the clip. I had forgotten that I'd already seen this movie. It's that good.

JRB
01-09-2018, 02:40 PM
IMDB's trivia section indicates that Ryan Phillippe accidentally punched Sarah Silverman in the face and knocked her out while filming that scene.

45dotACP
01-09-2018, 02:53 PM
IMDB's trivia section indicates that Ryan Phillippe accidentally punched Sarah Silverman in the face and knocked her out while filming that scene.Damn...and here I thought I didn't respect the guy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

blues
01-09-2018, 03:58 PM
Damn...and here I thought I didn't respect the guy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Probably why Reese Witherspoon has a flat face...

NEPAKevin
01-09-2018, 04:00 PM
Sarah Silverman: 'I've been punched in the face three times' (https://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/feb/07/sarah-silverman-wreck-it-ralph)

Totem Polar
01-10-2018, 03:23 AM
Oboyoboy... the hits on this just keep coming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8hgpyVB-wY

Coyotesfan97
01-10-2018, 02:37 PM
IMDB's trivia section indicates that Ryan Phillippe accidentally punched Sarah Silverman in the face and knocked her out while filming that scene.

Yeah it was an accident that’s it that the ticket