PDA

View Full Version : Firearms/Training related New Year's resolutions

WobblyPossum
01-02-2018, 12:30 PM
Did anyone make any firearm or training related resolutions for 2018? Mine are:

1. buy no more than 2 new guns this year (a G19-5 to be a backup/training gun to my carry G19-5 and another gun TBD at a later date because I'm weak like that)*
2. do something productive every single day (work out, dry practice, or read an actual book)
3. spend more on ammo and training than I do on guns and gun accessories
4. try USPSA at least once

*If I sell or trade a gun, then getting a replacement gun doesn't count towards the two gun limit. The total amount of guns remains the same.

Nephrology
01-02-2018, 12:50 PM
1. No buying new guns without selling old guns
2. Shoot this USPSA season
3. Shoot through some of my ridiculous stockpile of 9mm before I buy more...

iWander
01-02-2018, 12:55 PM
*If I sell or trade a gun, then getting a replacement gun doesn't count towards the two gun limit. The total amount of guns remains the same.

Hahahahaha...^^^This!!
My wife understands that once $$ is spent on guns or related items, the proceeds from the sale of said gun or item becomes "gun money", and may only be spent on other guns or items. If the money is spent on other, non-gun items, it's voluntary on my part and the gun money is replaced asap.
Having a very modest collection and continually trading and buying/selling so she has no idea what I really have helps! 🤣

iWander
01-02-2018, 01:03 PM
Did anyone make any firearm or training related resolutions for 2018? Mine are:

1. buy no more than 2 new guns this year (a G19-5 to be a backup/training gun to my carry G19-5 and another gun TBD at a later date because I'm weak like that)*
2. do something productive every single day (work out, dry practice, or read an actual book)
3. spend more on ammo and training than I do on guns and gun accessories
4. try USPSA at least once

*If I sell or trade a gun, then getting a replacement gun doesn't count towards the two gun limit. The total amount of guns remains the same.1. Train at least monthly. Being very short staffed at work prevents me from going to the range unless I can justify it with training others. I just show up early or stay late to have pew pew time.

2. Learn the function and manipulation of at least 2 new firearms. Quite a few of the guns I buy and sell are to learn their history, how they work and have first hand knowledge of firing and manipulating them.

3. Spend at least half my time on the basics. Like most, it's easy to get caught up in the latest techniques or tactics at the potential expense of the fundamentals.

4 Learn at least 5 new training techniques. I'm responsible for our PD's training and I won't teach something unless I've mastered it first and show why it's worthy as a portion of our precious training hours. We're building our officer's rifle skills so I'll concentrate there.

spinmove_
01-02-2018, 01:10 PM
1.) Actually work out and eat better. Gotta lose that gut.

2.) Purchase no more than 2 guns this year. A second G19.4 should be on its way to me already. Saving for a 1911 because I don’t own one yet.

3.) Take at least two training classes this year. I’m already signed up for one. Ready to pounce on a second. Possibly lining up a third later in the year.

4.) Stop looking at the Beretta threads. I totally appreciate what Ernest and Beretta are doing lately, but I definitely don’t need to be tempted or side tracked by more things than I already am. Maybe one day I’ll own one, but today is most definitely not that day.

5.) Shoot USPSA this year.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Casual Friday
01-02-2018, 01:15 PM
For practical use, it's a plastic frame, double stack semi auto world for me. For rifles, I prefer the AR15 over everything else. Second in line would be a well made AK.

With that said, I love revolvers, 1911's, and lever guns. I love the history, I love the aesthetics, and they're fun to shoot. For me, I lump guns into two categories. Guns who's purpose is self defense, and guns that I want to own and shoot just because. HK P2000's, USP 45's, AR15's and AK47's fit in the first category, revolvers, 1911's and lever guns in the second. I've got the first category well covered. Outside of replacement parts and maintenance items if I didn't buy anything else I'd be well taken care of. What is lacking is things that fit the second category, guns that I just want to own and shoot cause they're cool and fun.

My plans for the year are:
Buy an old cool revolver
Buy an old cool 1911
Buy an old cool lever gun
Train more than I did last year(last year I devoted myself to losing weight and getting healthier) since I have plenty of ammo stock piled in case Hillary was elected I just need to prioritize the time to go train
Attend the PNW Tac Conference this summer

RJ
01-02-2018, 01:22 PM
1. Drop 20 pounds (ok, not firearm related but still)
2. Shoot 6 matches this year vs. 3 last year
3. Shoot a GSSF Match
4. Spend money ONLY on training, ammo, or match fees. No Gear. No guns.

Mitch
01-02-2018, 01:22 PM
1.) Improve my reload from concealment. This has been a weak spot for me for years. Fortunately I can do a lot of this via dry fire. Right now I’m consistently in the 2.5-3 second range. My goal is 2-2.5. That’s on an 8 inch target at 7 yards

2.) Improve draw times to low probability targets. I can get the gun out and make it go bang fast, but my presentation could be cleaned up a lot. Goal is consistently below 2 seconds on a 3x5 or upper A at 7 yards.

3.) BJJ - this is mostly sport related. I want to really improve my De La Riva/Reverse DLR game. This is really prevalent in IBJJF competitions and there’s definite reasons for that. My hope is this leads to an overall improvement in competition game plans because that’s something I’ve done poorly in the past year. I just can’t get away with things at black belt that I could at the lower belts.

4.) Get to the range more often. This is tough with 2 jobs, a house, and a family. I’m thinking about changing clubs though due to shooting bay availability at my current one. I think the range I belong to is the best facility in the area, but that doesn’t make it any less frustrating to drive an hour one way and not even get to shoot because all the ranges are occupied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45dotACP
01-02-2018, 06:08 PM
I want to make A class in production at least...meaning I have to practice more. Dry fire hopefully 3x a week and live fire once a week (when the weather is subarctic)

That should be an easy goal.

Also: Stick with one division for USPSA...that may be harder lol.

BJJ: Trying to get that blue belt. Maybe compete a few more times. Improve on takedowns and throws and be less willing to accept less dominant position (should be easy). Get to every BJJ session at the academy and roll the whole 30min of open mat with no rounds off (that is gonna be hard)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hambo
01-02-2018, 06:28 PM
I've been shooting weekly and working out, but I need to do more dry fire and cardio.

Hopefully I can get to a Langdon class this year, and I'm going to shoot USPSA for the first time in a long time.

RevolverRob
01-02-2018, 11:40 PM
1) Gym 2x a week for cardio and lifting.

2) Get my ass to BJJ starting this year.

3) Dryfire out the "push" I've developed recently on LEM guns.

4) Get a consistent sub 2.5 second one-handed draw from the Cherries Deep Concealment holster or find an alternative deep carry solution.

5) Do more dryfire from the holster work (2-3x weekly instead of 1x weekly).

6) Do the refinish/refresh on my dad's 1911.

6A) Debate for the better part of the year whether or not I should switch back to 1911s.

6B) Make a decision after I focus on fixing my LEM woes for awhile. If I can't fix 'em, I'll have to think hard about switching platforms.

lwt16
01-03-2018, 07:41 AM
No more guns unless something stupid cheap and great comes across the palms.

Double the dry fire

Left hand one hand shooting......bunches.

5000 rounds before the end of the fiscal year. I'm nearing 2k as of yesterday.

More "back to basics" and less speed on steel.

Shave tenths off drawstroke first shot on target.

Help others as much as possible.

Cardio and ten pounds down.....minimum.

More hiking......see above.

Cleaner, leaner diet.

More stretching before during and after workouts.

Walk 15 miles a week minimum.

Clobbersaurus
01-03-2018, 12:41 PM
My goal is simple, make Master in IPSC.

Process to get there: dry practice and range time.

I need to double my efforts for an additional 9% gain in match performance.

pangloss
01-03-2018, 10:37 PM
Limit gun purchases. I want to buy two more pistols this year, but I need to sell two to make that happen. For most of last year, I made it to the range once a week. I ended up shooting about 5x as much last year as in 2016, so I'm very happy with my volume of shooting. However, I need to be much more structured in how I'm using all that ammo. The vast majority of that ammo was shot slow fire at 7 and 15 yards. By the end of 2018, I want to be able to shoot groups at 25 yards that actually looks like a groups and not buckshot patterns out of a Taurus Judge. I will take at least one class this year and shoot six IDPA matches, including a qualifier. Last year I took one class, but only shot two matches. Also, I will get better at shooting revolvers. I know that statement is awfully qualitative, but I don't have a good baseline. (See above comment about needing to be more structured in my training/practicing.)

Other things: read more books, exercise more, go to bed earlier.

okie john
01-04-2018, 12:56 PM
I’m trying to look at my habits and adjust them accordingly.

I want to break two habits that cost me a lot of money and bring little in return:

A scarcity mentality that leads me to overthink things and buy cheap gear that need upgrades rather than buying the right gear, which is cheaper overall.
A focus on gear that leads me to buy guns that I don’t need and to focus on improving their performance in inconsequential increments rather than actually shooting the guns I own and learning from them.

I want to maintain three habits. They can be expensive, but the return is high:

Stay in my home (per Pat McNamara) but make it better.
Develop accuracy and speed under practical conditions with rifles and handguns.
Find ways to carry a lot less gear when I hunt.

I want to form and/or enhance three other habits:

Identify free or low-cost things I can do to become a better shooter and hunter, like dry fire.
Continue building strength, long slow distance road work, and weight loss to get in better shape for long walking hunts.
Take better care of all of my gear.

Should keep me busy for a while.

Okie John