PDA

View Full Version : Is the SHOT Show still relevant?

Inkwell 41
01-01-2018, 03:07 PM
I've noticed Ruger has introduced several new models over the last few weeks. I just got an email from Surefire that the XC2 has been upgraded to 300 lumens. Glock brought out the Gen 5 guns Last summer. Marlin has announced some new rifles.

So, does anyone think the shooting industry has placed less value on the SHOT Show?

orionz06
01-01-2018, 03:11 PM
A yearly product release cycle isn't too great, I suspect they're pushing what they can when they can. They'll surely attract buyers to their booths.

BigT
01-01-2018, 03:14 PM
Nothing beats real face time with suppliers/customers.

Trade shows allow you to get a whole lot of that in one place in a limited time period.

So while the market today may not have the patience of launches at two or three trade shows a year, the shows themselves are still very relevant for the business of selling guns.

RJ
01-01-2018, 03:51 PM
I am jealous of SHOT show attendees, but look forward to reading reports from attendees I follow on social media.

However, it seems to me recent reports are that it is increasingly populated by un-showered neckbeards muzzling everyone in sight, whilst simultaneously trying to stuff every item of free swag into the pockets of their 511 pants.

So, eh, I dunno.

Peally
01-01-2018, 04:07 PM
For the businesses meeting opportunities and networking I'm sure it's great. It would be even better without the droves of stereotypical gun show attendees and 5 IQ YouTube personalities.

StraitR
01-01-2018, 04:43 PM
The current speed and sophistication of information exchange, coupled with impatient customers and "first to market, wins", has reduced all trade shows to little more than a week out of the office and away from the kids.

Erick Gelhaus
01-01-2018, 05:08 PM
From an organizational end-user perspective, it is invaluable in terms of being able to have face to face time with people within a company who make decisions. Being able to renew those contacts in person in coming years is also valuable. I've only missed one year in the last eleven, though I'm taking this year off from it too. For several years I went as part of one business, now I go for my organization.

ragnar_d
01-01-2018, 05:24 PM
I'd say yes and no, mostly for reasons already mentioned.

Yes, because it gives folks in the firearms industry a chance to meet face to face, network, and make connections that wouldn't necessarily happen otherwise (you can only do so much on LinkedIn and by email).

No, because (IMO) with social media eyes can be looking at product and buying it from distributors/dealers throughout the year without having to wait for SHOT/NASGW/NRAAM. Instead of all your new products competing for eyes 1-2 times a year, companies can spread their project launches out throughout the year and launch when they're ready.

schüler
01-01-2018, 07:23 PM
Many development teams use SHOT as a schedule target. Many working to the last minute on new projects. A lot of unparalleled media and customer base attention and exposure.

Commmitments of running a business overshadow the "we should get together" scheduling. These shows make it possible for everything from business discussion to seeing good bros again.

Teams get to mix business with pleasure even if it's just another mad day at work - but a new location and expectation for a change.

Qaz98
01-01-2018, 07:35 PM
I think announcing new models before shot show may be similar to companies releasing their super bowl ads on YouTube before the game. Probably creating a pre show buzz. Think of all the hype that Hudson had going into Shot 17.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cacafuego
01-03-2018, 12:58 AM
Free beer is always relevant.

mmc45414
01-03-2018, 08:19 AM
I sell equipment for the trade show industry and the trends are overall strong, but I would speculate that holding something back that you could be selling now is probably a thing of the past.

Two of the Rugers are SR1911s that they have on the www site, and a forum member already bought one of, and still not even an email. The range day will probably be a big part of their launch, shooting the stuff people already know about.

MistWolf
01-03-2018, 09:35 AM
There was a time when the shooting world didn't revolve around SHOT. It was simply a venue that happened in the background where insiders discussed their plans for the upcoming year.

Tamara
01-03-2018, 12:03 PM