PDA

View Full Version : Bass akwards CC laws.

JDM
03-07-2011, 08:04 PM
1. In NM you can conceal a firearm in a restaurant that serves beer and wine, but not if they serve any spirits.

2. NM law allows you to have a gun in your car pretty much anywhere including k-12 schools, college campus' etc, but not on your person in many of the places where its perfectly legal in your car.

Vomit.

jslaker
03-07-2011, 08:53 PM
If you'd asked about this a year ago, I'd have a huge list. Fortunately, we fixed most of the badly broken laws in GA last legislative session (thanks largely to georgiacarry.org), but a prohibition on carry in places of worship remained in place at the behest of our then Governor, Sonny Perdue. I'm not a church goer, personally, but find that to be an unacceptable First Amendment overstep.

Also, the City of Atlanta/Hartsfield Jackson International are enforcing a prohibition on firearms in unsecured areas of the airport, despite the intent of the legislature in a previous law change. It's been in and out of court a few times now, with GCO losing so far, meaning it'll probably take a more explicit change of law to force through. This is a problem for anyone that chooses to ride MARTA trains to the airport, as they can legally carry up to the point where they step off the train at the airport, and given some of MARTA's clientelle, carry is likely advisable.

JM Campbell
03-07-2011, 10:35 PM
My wife and I rode on MARTA fresh off the airplane, I felt like we had huge targets on our backs....never again. I'm stupid once...not twice.

jslaker
03-07-2011, 11:08 PM
It's a shame that cabs are a more attractive option as a result. The dirty hippy in me wants to see mass transit succeed.

Kyle Reese
03-07-2011, 11:49 PM
In Maryland, a concealed carry permit is extremely difficult to get, and open carry of a handgun in public (unless engaged in target shooting or other enumerated activity) is totally prohibited.

Count your blessings, guys.

MDS
03-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Florida has reciprocity with many states; however, you must be a resident of that state in order for Florida to recognize the license. I can't think of a supporting argument, however crazy...

jslaker
03-08-2011, 02:59 AM
I'll add since I'm planning on moving to TX in the near future -- states with no open carry provisions annoy me to no end. I conceal, but I hate the idea that a shirt riding over my gun could cause me to be suddenly breaking the law.

MechEng
03-08-2011, 10:52 AM
In VA Last summer (July 1st) they finally made it legal to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. This makes things easier now when we want to go have a nice dinner with our family or friends. Prior to that, the laws were asinine because we could legally open carry in a restaurant that served alcohol but not with our concealed carry permit.

KentF
03-08-2011, 03:20 PM
I'll add since I'm planning on moving to TX in the near future -- states with no open carry provisions annoy me to no end. I conceal, but I hate the idea that a shirt riding over my gun could cause me to be suddenly breaking the law.
Oh, it gets worse. During my recent renewal the instructor stated that depending on how the handgun "prints" under a garment it could be determined an not concealed.

GC §411.171. DEFINITIONS. In this subchapter:
(3) "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which
is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

I would also like open carry to be allowed. Not that I'd take advantage of it, but it is one less thing to worry about. At least it appears that campus carry is going to pass this legislative session and maybe I'll be able to carry at work.

Savage Hands
03-08-2011, 04:55 PM
With California? I don't even know where to start lol I'm just fortunate enough to live in an issuing county. :o

TAP
03-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Also, the City of Atlanta/Hartsfield Jackson International are enforcing a prohibition on firearms in unsecured areas of the airport, despite the intent of the legislature in a previous law change. It's been in and out of court a few times now, with GCO losing so far, meaning it'll probably take a more explicit change of law to force through. This is a problem for anyone that chooses to ride MARTA trains to the airport, as they can legally carry up to the point where they step off the train at the airport, and given some of MARTA's clientelle, carry is likely advisable.

This is no longer the case. The mayor has backed off since the bill passed last year removing public gathering. He had no leg to stand on. You can now carry in non sterile areas of the ATL airport.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/2010/12/10/city-of-atlanta-now-allowing-firearms-in-hartsfield-jackson-international-airport/

jslaker
03-08-2011, 05:34 PM
This is no longer the case. The mayor has backed off since the bill passed last year removing public gathering. He had no leg to stand on. You can now carry in non sterile areas of the ATL airport.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/2010/12/10/city-of-atlanta-now-allowing-firearms-in-hartsfield-jackson-international-airport/

Glad to hear. I honestly haven't been keeping up that well since SB308 passed.

WobblyPossum
03-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Not a CC law, but still ridiculous: NYC has a five round magazine maximum on all long guns. Not just semi-auto long guns, but bolt actions, pump actions, lever actions, etc.
There is also the entirety of the NYC pistol permit licensing process to keep it on topic. Concealed carry is limited to LEOs, the rich and famous, and people who regularly move cash measured in the tens of thousands.