PDA

View Full Version : M&P experts/armorers - help needed

YVK
01-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Just got a new FS 9 mm M&P with thumb safety. During an attempt to take it apart for familiarization, the following part fell out

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Heartachedoc/photobucket-3153-1327720892000.jpg

Since I was performing a step denoted as "lowering sear deactivation lever into a magwell", I am assuming that above part is said sear deactivation lever. Aside from why is it covered in a sticky residue, my questions are

- why did it fall out and what is it that I can do to put it back?

- I can't take the slide off the frame after turning the takedown lever. Does it have anything to do with sear level being out?

- Should I just send it back to S&W, or all of that are a minor easily correctable issues?

mnealtx
01-27-2012, 10:50 PM
Just got a new FS 9 mm M&P with thumb safety. During an attempt to take it apart for familiarization, the following part fell out

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Heartachedoc/photobucket-3153-1327720892000.jpg

Since I was performing a step denoted as "lowering sear deactivation lever into a magwell", I am assuming that above part is said sear deactivation lever. Aside from why is it covered in a sticky residue, my questions are

- why did it fall out and what is it that I can do to put it back?

- I can't take the slide off the frame after turning the takedown lever. Does it have anything to do with sear level being out?

- Should I just send it back to S&W, or all of that are a minor easily correctable issues?

Looking at the diagram here (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=859/schematicsdetail/MP__Semi_Auto_), it looks like it should be possible to put it back in, if a bit 'fiddly' due to various pins/springs.

Without having the sear deactivation lever available, you'll have to "Glock it" to get the slide off (pull the trigger).

YVK
01-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Mike, thanks. Looks like I'd need to take out the whole sear housing block assembly. Dunno if I feel up to it, but maybe...

A bigger question is why it happened - did I screw up somehow, or does the fact that a part falls out during takedown attempt according to instruction manual indicate that gun is put together incorrectly.

mnealtx
01-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Mike, thanks. Looks like I'd need to take out the whole sear housing block assembly. Dunno if I feel up to it, but maybe...

A bigger question is why it happened - did I screw up somehow, or does the fact that a part falls out during takedown attempt according to instruction manual indicate that gun is put together incorrectly.

I believe the sear block has to come out to get to those pins - is the gun new or used?

It's possible that the pin was never installed or fell out before the sear block was put into the pistol - they're not a tight fit. I'd think the possibility to be fairly small in either case, though.

If you look down into the sear block from the top, can you see the pin at all? I *think* you should be able to see it in the gap where that lever goes - I'd double check myself, but I'm about 8000 miles away from my own M&P.

YVK
01-27-2012, 11:59 PM
It is a brand new gun, I picked it up from my FFL 2 hours ago. I think you're right in that the pin was likely never installed. Even after I turned it down, I couldn't remove the slide - I think it wasn't disengaging a sear anyway.

So, to recap:

- couldn't get a group better than 6 inches
- crappy trigger
- a part that fell out on a first take-apart attempt
- said part is all covered in gunk and discolored (? normal)

This gun takes a cake for the worst out of box gun I've ever had. I've requested a warranty repair label from S&W.

Pennzoil
01-28-2012, 12:25 AM
http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/5177/searblock2.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2074/searblock.jpg
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/5721/searblock3.jpg

Here is a new sear housing and yes the part comes partially covered in a yellow paint/gunk. No way you could of lost the part without removing the sear housing from the frame if the pin was installed correctly as the pin has to be removed for this part to come off and that can't happen when it's in the frame as the frame is in the way.

I really wish S&W would pull their head out of their ass when it comes to getting these M&P guns right! I love shooting mine when they ran but seems they have a ton of issues and getting worst as time goes on. I wonder if the fact they can't keep up with current production due to LE & Military contracts has them settling with a half ass product instead of trying to produce the best product possible.

I could walk you through reinstalling the part or send you my parts from my spare housing to install if you want? It sounds like your going to send it back anyway for the accuracy isssue but offer is on the table if you want the parts bud. Sorry to hear things didn't work out for you on this one.

mnealtx
01-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Good pics, Pennzoil - thanks for that, I was reduced to what I could find online.

YVK - sorry you got a lemon, and I hope that S&W gets it right for you.

YVK
01-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Penn, bud, thanks. I may ask your guidance in my future endeavors with MP, but this one is going to SW. That's the only way we can provide real feedback and hope they hear it.

GJM
01-28-2012, 02:32 AM
I think the loose part, while annoying, isn't the big problem. Neither is the lousy trigger, as you knew that would likely be the case going in. If you have a six plus inch pistol at 25 yards, you will never be satisfied coming from a Glock, HK, 1911 perspective. I think we all need to start complaining loudly, and let the well regarded S&W customer service earn their reputation by getting us reasonably accurate 9 mm models.

YVK
01-28-2012, 10:30 AM
I think the loose part, while annoying, isn't the big problem.

Accuracy issues indicate design flaw. The problem above indicates lack of any semblance of post-assembly quality control. Pick your poison [personally, if forced to choose, I'd take inaccurate gun over one where I have no confidence in appropriateness of assembly].

A rhetorical question is "what would happen to S&W customer base if S&W stopped covering returned shipping costs".

Joe Mamma
01-30-2012, 08:57 PM
I really wish S&W would pull their head out of their ass when it comes to getting these M&P guns right! I love shooting mine when they ran but seems they have a ton of issues and getting worst as time goes on. I wonder if the fact they can't keep up with current production due to LE & Military contracts has them settling with a half ass product instead of trying to produce the best product possible.

What types of issues are you (or anyone else) hearing about?

Joe Mamma